Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

theystolemyname posted:

The simic clones deck in the campaign is such horseshit. It is unbeatable with the eldrazi deck. It kills you by turn 6 by getting 4 of those wizards out, and even if you push out an all is dust by then to wipe the board, it only takes it 3 more turns to get another 4.

Just play any deck with spot removal. I killed Biovisionary as soon as it came out (playing the zombies deck) and the AI couldn't figure out what to do next. It thought for like two minutes and then passed the turn, doing nothing. Then the same occurred next turn. Then it played another Biovisionary on turn 6, but by then I was swinging for lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you think the game's sealed pool randomizer doesn't work correctly, it's likely that you're actually not randomizing enough in real life. Next time you're about to open some packs, try shuffling them very, very thoroughly first. You may be surprised by the results.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I finished the campaign and sealed campaign and all the revenge matches today, but there are still a few decks (Jace's, Lilliana's) that I haven't unlocked the ability to play with. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it's a little bit odd.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh god please tell me someone else beat the campaign. The ending music holy poo poo. Hahahahahahaha

I beat the video game. Ramaz is a madman.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

I finished the campaign and sealed campaign and all the revenge matches today, but there are still a few decks (Jace's, Lilliana's) that I haven't unlocked the ability to play with. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it's a little bit odd.

When you beat a chapter you can unlock a bonus planeswalker to fight by going back into the chapter. This is how you get Ajani, Jace and Liliana's decks. You could have had them from the end of chapter 1 :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just cracked 7 of the 9 boosters for a pool, and already have:

- White Knight
- Honor of the Pure
- Fiend Hunter
- 2xPacifism
- Roc Egg
- a few other decent White creatures (just Commons like Charging Griffon and Pillarfield Ox)

- Murder
- 3xAssassinate
- 2xSign in Blood
- Distress
- Vampire Nighthawk
- Hypnotic Specter
- Serra Angel
- 2xSengir Vampire
- Rise From the Grave
- Rune-Scarred Demon

:catstare:

I just hope I get a couple Terramorphic Expanse in the last two packs to make hitting those double-mana costs easier. But like, drat.

WMG posted a video of JT and MC cracking their first Sealed pool. They got three Door to Nothingness. :v:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I wasn't a big fan of the sealed thing, at least against the AI. The pool of cards to pick from is really small, and giving all your opponents mono-colored theme decks made it feel like only a slight variation on the regular campaign. My sealed toward the end was probably better than some of the constructed decks with no unlocks.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When you beat a chapter you can unlock a bonus planeswalker to fight by going back into the chapter. This is how you get Ajani, Jace and Liliana's decks. You could have had them from the end of chapter 1 :v:

Oh, wow, thanks, not sure I ever would have seen that. I'm always jamming on the Deck Manager button after a match and then since I thought the chapter was clear I didn't go back in there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What came out of my first sealed pool consists of a dozen removal spells and deathtouch creatures to grind opponents, plus enough sign in bloods, rampant growths, and recursion to power up my single grave titan. :getin:

My second sealed pool has like fifteen burn spells on the expensive side of things, it could make for a pretty good 2HG deck if paired with someone who actually can play creatures before turn four.

Overall the deckbuilding is pretty fun and does simulate what being a newbie with just a handful of cards is like once again, and I am tempted to get a few extra slots... But I still can't see any card art. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In the pools where I get several Rampant Growth and Terramorphics, just for giggles, I'm going to start making 50-60 card full on Constructed decks. It's definitely possible to get enough good cards to make a solid Constructed 3-color deck with like, at least 3 each of Essence Scatter, Murder and Condemn and several bombs.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My black/blue sealed deck turned out pretty good so far. Murders, Assassinates, two Vampire Nighthawks, Grave Titan, Archaeomancers, Essence Scatters.

Haven't started multiplayer yet but I do have a feeling there won't be a whole lot of creature variety, people will probably be building around the same obviously useful creatures from the relatively limited pool. I've never done real paper sealed magic before so I can't speak for how similar it is.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you think the game's sealed pool randomizer doesn't work correctly, it's likely that you're actually not randomizing enough in real life. Next time you're about to open some packs, try shuffling them very, very thoroughly first. You may be surprised by the results.

I draft every week or two, and in a pool of 24 packs, the most duplicate rares you see are one or two pairs. There's no excuse for seeing three Protean Hydras and two Redirects in the same 9 pack pool. That just doesn't happen, even in small sets. I've opened the same MYTHIC twice in a row in six packs.

gently caress, even with only 39 Rares/Mythics in the set, it strains credibility that no one seems to have six unique rares.

(I'm jealous of you people with actual bombs. I'm getting all the Rings of Three Wishes.)

Megatrauma
Jan 16, 2012

theystolemyname posted:

The simic clones deck in the campaign is such horseshit. It is unbeatable with the eldrazi deck. It kills you by turn 6 by getting 4 of those wizards out, and even if you push out an all is dust by then to wipe the board, it only takes it 3 more turns to get another 4.

As JerryLee stated, you have to get lucky with All is Dust, and it is beatable. Note: I was getting violent about this encounter myself. I beat it the first time using the Avacyn deck, and then, for good measure, with Ajani's deck (but I felt oh so dirty using it).

So far, the Simic Clones and Ajani planeswalker encounters were my absolute low points of entertainment, and sheer fist-in-desk moments. Ramaz wasn't even as bad as Ajani was.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A Fun Thing I noticed: I played matching decks against the AI and three times in a row (that's where I stopped) we both seemed to get identical starting hands. That, or through some amazing feat of luck the AI ended up drawing the same cards as I started with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Miracle posted:

Christ on a crouton, how do you guys do it so fast? I keep getting hung up on the stupid loving encounters. JUST LET ME UNLOCK DECKS DAMMIT

You can challenge planeswalkers to unlock decks, I believe. I wouldn't know, I just went through the campaign and cleared it in just under three hours.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Azran posted:

So this game is a good pick up for a person who likes Magic but it's not interested in Magic Online, right? How's the goon presence?

You're basically who DotP games are for. No idea about the goon presence, don't think there's anything organized yet at least.

E:

Unrelated but I've always found it funny that these games have settings like 16xAA and shadows. Gotta crank those graphics!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 27, 2013

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
The encounters in this are far more fun than 2013's ones (eg play a 1/1 flyer every turn forever!)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

retro sexual posted:

The encounters in this are far more fun than 2013's ones (eg play a 1/1 flyer every turn forever!)

Yeah a bunch of them are puzzles on their own which is why I don't mind the challenges being dialed down. Like one guy has a card where if you play 4 you win the game, and he has cards that clone that card. You have to figure out how to stop him getting there.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Wow, you guys were not joking about the ending credits music. Pretty sure they took their cue from the Black Ops 2 credits montage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also something I noticed, someone was complaining that you can't drag cards from your hands to play them but it does seem to work, at least in the PC version. For some reason that and some other stuff like highlighting several cards with the mouse were simply disabled in the tutorial.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

precision posted:

Just cracked 7 of the 9 boosters for a pool, and already have:

- White Knight
- Honor of the Pure
- Fiend Hunter
- 2xPacifism
- Roc Egg
- a few other decent White creatures (just Commons like Charging Griffon and Pillarfield Ox)

- Murder
- 3xAssassinate
- 2xSign in Blood
- Distress
- Vampire Nighthawk
- Hypnotic Specter
- Serra Angel
- 2xSengir Vampire
- Rise From the Grave
- Rune-Scarred Demon

:catstare:

I just hope I get a couple Terramorphic Expanse in the last two packs to make hitting those double-mana costs easier. But like, drat.

WMG posted a video of JT and MC cracking their first Sealed pool. They got three Door to Nothingness. :v:
I have all these together in one of my sealed pools.

Along with two sengir vampires, two murders and an assassinate, three sign in bloods, four crypt rats, rise from the grave, diabolic revelation, swiftfoot boots, and a couple giant scorpions.

I wish it had a little more removal than the two murders and the assassinate. Those are good, but it is always nice to have more. I am running monoblack with it right now, because I have so many black goodies, but I could see splashing a little white, which has two pacifisms and a condemn. I have been enjoying the consistency of monoblack though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any way to reset sealed decks? It would be really good if Friends and I could always play against each other with completely refreshed cards after each game.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Dizz posted:

Is there any way to reset sealed decks? It would be really good if Friends and I could always play against each other with completely refreshed cards after each game.

Nope, you have you unlock the additional slots by buying them! :haw:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My sealed deck also has a bunch of Murder/Assassinates :v:

Funkz posted:

Nope, you have you unlock the additional slots by buying them! :haw:

Are you sure? On iOS there's an option somewhere in the menu to reset your 2 slots. On the consoles people were saying if you made a new profile you'd have 2 more slots as well. Buying slots is just if you want like, 5 sealed decks at once for some reason.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Yeah I was hoping the deck slots just meant if you wanted to save a deck you really liked. And I was hoping to have one saved, and use the other to play against my friend with always new random cards.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Is there an easy way too access the deck builder during campaign mode and/or go straight back to your campaign game when you've edited a deck? It's really, really annoying to have to go to your deck, remove a card from your deck (i can't help but want to stay at 60 cards no matter what) and then get booted right back to the main menu afterwards after every single encounter.

Also the red and green decks, before unlocks, seem pretty bad this year and the moment you unlock the super stall+ramp eldrazi/fatties deck, the very first encounter you have has a turn limit :( speaking of which, how viable is it to remove all the eldrazi cards in the deck and just have the 6/7cmc fatties like primeval titan? I usually get stuck waiting for those last few bits of land to bump me up to 8-11 cmc

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
I really don't get how it rates the decks. I built a flier and removal heavy Esper deck that had no trouble with the campaign but it was only "average", so when I finished I had it autocomplete a deck around a Time Warp and it gave me a weird Simic deck with no synergy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serisothikos posted:

I really don't get how it rates the decks. I built a flier and removal heavy Esper deck that had no trouble with the campaign but it was only "average", so when I finished I had it autocomplete a deck around a Time Warp and it gave me a weird Simic deck with no synergy.

I don't know about how the autocomplete works but if you click on your "deck rating" you'll see it's just a really, really basic set of criteria (40% lands, no more than 2 mana types, etc)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you edit Chandra's deck will she pilot the deck you built in the Ramaz battle? Because Jesus Christ Chandra stop blowing up our loving side with that idiot Magma Phoenix.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

goferchan posted:

I don't know about how the autocomplete works but if you click on your "deck rating" you'll see it's just a really, really basic set of criteria (40% lands, no more than 2 mana types, etc)

Oh, so it's probably the blue splash. That makes sense as an introduction to sealed but the most recent paper Magic sealed pools literally forced you into three colors so I don't really get why it's a penalty.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
There's a part of me that really wants to play around with the deck rating thing just to see how wrong it is. Maybe after I've beaten the game a couple times and unlocked most of the cards.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Serisothikos posted:

Oh, so it's probably the blue splash. That makes sense as an introduction to sealed but the most recent paper Magic sealed pools literally forced you into three colors so I don't really get why it's a penalty.

Recent paper magic also had a bunch of accessible mana fixing to make it possible.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Would you lot be interested in a DotP 2014 sealed tournament? We could run it in a league structure. The only requirms t would be that you run a 40 card deck that stays the same for the entire run of it, maybe have a sideboard type deal with 10 cards?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
I'm finding the sealed campaign to be slightly fun but my first set was a real stinker so it's hard to judge. However, I have to admit that the inclusion of adjusting your lands in the normal sets is a amazing change. So many of these decks just don't require a full spate of lands and it only weakened fast decks in the previous games.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you grab six to nine packs, especially from the same box, the odds of getting three of a kind on your rares is really drat low.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Probably because they spread rares out in physical boosters. Actual randomness is different

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Serisothikos posted:

If you click on the rating you'll see that there are only four possible ratings. You get one "point" for each of:

- Is exactly two colors
- Has more than 13 creatures
- Has 17 lands
- Is exactly 40 cards

So, it's basically completely useless.

retro sexual posted:

Probably because they spread rares out in physical boosters. Actual randomness is different

Not to derail my own thread, but the fact that Wizards does this is complete horse poo poo, and makes me wonder why anyone would ever buy a "box" of boosters.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

What's with the 'Do you wish to unlock this planeswalker' question before dueling these guys in the Planeswalkers Duels mode, I'm not paying for anything here without knowing right?

Also jesus christ the ending song is awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

What's with the 'Do you wish to unlock this planeswalker' question before dueling these guys in the Planeswalkers Duels mode, I'm not paying for anything here without knowing right?

You can only "unlock" one Planeswalker per plane you've completed, so best to do the ones you get decks from first.

The ending song is by a band called I Fight Dragons. They are loving awful (and against all evidence claim to be "chiptune").

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davincie posted:

You get 1 unlock per chapter beaten, that's what they meant. A lot of people seem to be realizing after the campaign is over though, at that point you can unlock all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

q_k posted:

Recent paper magic also had a bunch of accessible mana fixing to make it possible.

If I hadn't pulled a couple of Terramorphic Expanse or a Path to Exile, I wouldn't have splashed the third color, but I did.

precision posted:

If you click on the rating you'll see that there are only four possible ratings. You get one "point" for each of:

- Is exactly two colors
- Has more than 13 creatures
- Has 17 lands
- Is exactly 40 cards

So, it's basically completely useless.

Yeah that explains it.

• Locked thread