Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

It's merged with the newest DDA so it has the adjustments of GDA coupled with the new stuff in DDA.

I've been run off my feet at my day job so I've not had a great deal of time to devote to GDA so far. Ill start looking at new features and bugfixes (like being unable to reinforce plastic/Kevlar/fur and reinstating certain mutations) tonight.

I'm using DDA 6.0 and I have a reinforced Kevlar vest and a reinforced Military Rucksack. Is this just a GDA thing?

EDIT: Here's a pic just because

Bonus reinforced Picklehaube

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Really? I remember there being reinforcement but when someone earlier said it wasn't possible I assumed it was because I'd broken it, or a merge had broken it or something.

If you are capable of reinforcing it then I guess it isn't broken (at least in DDA) so I'll check GDA when I get back.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jonny Retro posted:

Reinforced gear.

I notice you haven't reinforced your sunglasses. Try it with a soldering iron.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you reinforce poo poo?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Feelin' confident with my extra sturdy shades and army guy pants.

Jack Trades posted:

How do you reinforce poo poo?

Sewing kit for cloth, fur and leather plus some extra bits of rags, fur, or leather. Soldering Iron for plastic, kevlar, metal plus some extra bits of the material.

EDIT:fixed something

You get rags from cutting up cloth with a blade, leather from cutting up leather items and maybe animals(? not sure on that bit), and fur from butchering cute little furry critters. Plastic from cutting up anything plastic, even bottles and bags, kevlar from dismantling kevlar vests, and scrap metal can be found a lot of places; smashing fridges or dismantling flash lights is an easy source.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 27, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Since it seems it is still possible for metal/kevlar etc reinforcement, what do people think of the balance for plastic chunks/kevlar plates etc? Do you think its too easy/hard to get them, do you want other sources etc.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
It seems to be fine for the most part. The amount of Kevlar plates you get out of a vest seems a little high, but since they're a kind of rarer item, and there's no easy source of Kevlar, it's probably better if it's a little high, I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jonny Retro posted:

Mine jumps up pretty good when I'm firing a weapon. I can't remember if it changes for anything else, though.
Oh hey, it does. Well, that's fairly useless. I was hoping it'd give you an idea of your basic noise level while running around, driving, crafting, that sort of thing.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Just made my very first vehicle, was going for a trike but feature creep set in and I ended up with a three-wheeled motorbike RV with a bed and cooking unit. Finally finished it after looting an entire city's worth of batteries to power the welder, took her out for her maiden voyage, and ended up losing control on a bridge while being attacked by giant mosquitoes and crashed her into the river.

:smithicide:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Tehan posted:

Just made my very first vehicle, was going for a trike but feature creep set in and I ended up with a three-wheeled motorbike RV with a bed and cooking unit. Finally finished it after looting an entire city's worth of batteries to power the welder, took her out for her maiden voyage, and ended up losing control on a bridge while being attacked by giant mosquitoes and crashed her into the river.

:smithicide:

:xcom:

Is there a single person whose first experience with a vehicle isn't losing control and dying horribly in the first 10 seconds?
I recall not understanding quite how the motion/acceleration system worked and crashed straight into the gas station at 100mph it was parked down the road of. There are plenty of other stories in the thread of similar experiences.

Overall I think the vehicle system is pretty solid in game and probably one of my favorite parts. Creating your own vehicle is very satisfying and a good objective to have without being a tedium.
In the past things like falling out of your car at 8mph killing you was an issue and janky physics but those appear to be mostly fixed.
From a game play perspective the only real issue at the moment is the effectiveness of doing slow doughnuts of death in the center of towns.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I remember dying in my Apoco-Tank after turning it into a fortress on wheels because when diagonal, there was a gap at the wheel sections where baddies could get in.

Murdered in the middle of my fortress by a sneaky infiltrator. Waddya going to do? v:shobon:v

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Strumpie posted:

From a game play perspective the only real issue at the moment is the effectiveness of doing slow doughnuts of death in the center of towns.
I don't think that really needs fixing, honestly. Getting to the point where you have a working, solid vehicle and a reliable supply of gas, never mind the ability to actually drive it without fumbling all the time, is a fairly difficult achievement and what I'd consider the landmark for the midgame. At that point, regular zombies aren't really much of a threat to you, even in larger numbers, so being able to mow them down with your Truck o' Death isn't a balance issue.

[edit] Plus they'll be back up by the time you next come into town, unless you take the time to butcher all the corpses.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 27, 2013

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think that really needs fixing, honestly. Getting to the point where you have a working, solid vehicle and a reliable supply of gas, never mind the ability to actually drive it without fumbling all the time, is a fairly difficult achievement and what I'd consider the landmark for the midgame. At that point, regular zombies aren't really much of a threat to you, even in larger numbers, so being able to mow them down with your Truck o' Death isn't a balance issue.

[edit] Plus they'll be back up by the time you next come into town, unless you take the time to butcher all the corpses.

I'm mildly certain that simply running them over hard enough to cause some damage to the corpse is enough of a deterrent

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, but that takes higher speeds than you can usually manage inside of a town. The "circle of death" is when you drive in a circle at 5 miles per hour until all the zombies from three blocks around make one big pile of corpses. Those bodies are usually left completely unharmed.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Some changes appear to have been lost in GDA 0.34. Shelter kits still take up a full backpack, for one.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Some changes appear to have been lost in GDA 0.34. Shelter kits still take up a full backpack, for one.

gently caress.

The merge seems to have overwritten some of the GDA specific stuff. What a mess.

e: sorry guys, I kinda boned the GDA merge. To anyone who still uses it over DDA, let me know if anything else has been lost and I'll put it back in.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
How dare you make mistakes on something you do for us for free in your spare time.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

unforgiveable, PiCroft.

Seriously, thanks for stepping up to the plate on this one. Don't stress.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is there any tiles version for this yet? I am horribly horrible at playing with ascii :(

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I hadn't played this since the Whales version, but wow, there's a bunch of new crap. I got a character who found one of those stashes surrounded by traps in a road, with a suit of (!)power armor. It was basically indestructible. Then, in a lab, found a power armor integration CBM that, for 1 power/10 turns, reduced its encumbrance to 1, which made it feasible to wade into crowds with a nail bat and kill everything. Then hit up a military bunker (didn't have a keycard; used a stick of dynamite, a grenade, and a LAW rocket to bust through the doors) and found a power armor Heavy Lift unit that acted like a free 120-volume backpack. Wow! At that point, pretty much nothing posed any threat at all. The only inconvenience was that my guy kept getting super over-heated in the power armor, but either taking it off to cool down or turning on the Implant to activate its internal air conditioner every once in a while dealt with that. Went toe to toe and beat a jabberwock to death with a nail bat, took like fifteen damage total. Plundered a mine and a Temple, found a 20-weight sphere that turned me invisible, made me very stupid, and could be activated to make a huge roaring inferno at the cost of causing a lot of pain. Is there an end-game I'm missing?

edit: Also took down a fungal spire. Found a katana in a pawn-shop, and a bunch of c4 in a military outpost. Hack'd and slashed my way through a big open field full of fungal buddies, threw a lot of explosives at the spire. Ate of the fabled Marloss Berry. The funglings managed to tear up my underarmor and socks, and I was pretty hungry by the end of it (metabolic exchange powering the armor-integration implant) but it wasn't much of a threat. So... power armor OP.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but that takes higher speeds than you can usually manage inside of a town. The "circle of death" is when you drive in a circle at 5 miles per hour until all the zombies from three blocks around make one big pile of corpses. Those bodies are usually left completely unharmed.

Until you get the corpse bonfire lit.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 27, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Try taking on a Triffid Grove or a Fungal Tower. Those are pretty much the worst you're likely to see for the moment.

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!

Jaroslav posted:

Is there any tiles version for this yet? I am horribly horrible at playing with ascii :(

There was tile support, but I guess it eroded away during the DDA development. At least, that's how I understand it.

I'd like to try adding it back in, but I don't want my brain to explode from trying to decipher the 1000's of lines of code that need to be changed.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think the change to SDL might be partially about that, and the contamination of DDA's codebase with properly designed and compartmentalized code might make adding tiles back in possible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It seems that the devs are currently doing their level best to fix all the random hardcoding and turn the source into something that doesn't make you want to strangle yourself when you read it. The most recent versions have Bionics definitions transferred into a raw JSON file, like recipes and material definitions. It isn't much yet, but it's something.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It seems that the devs are currently doing their level best to fix all the random hardcoding and turn the source into something that doesn't make you want to strangle yourself when you read it. The most recent versions have Bionics definitions transferred into a raw JSON file, like recipes and material definitions. It isn't much yet, but it's something.

Thank god, it's really good to hear that. I looked into trying to figure out the issue with the solar power not working, but I am not sure where it's handled in the code. Is there an event scheduling sort of setup anywhere? Because that seems like the only sane way to handle solar power for every car on the map with panels and batteries. It's always possible that there's not, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes, that sort of stuff is usually in game.cpp. The poo poo that defines whether you're in sunlight or not is the aptly named is_in_sunlight function, but the problem with vehicles is that they do weird situational stuff based on whether certain tiles are connected to the same vehicle. I've kinda given up on figuring it out at this point.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

What volume value were shelter kits in GDA previously? They are 40 at the moment which is pretty big and I assume what it was before Jon fixed it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Speaking of fungal spires, how feasible is to slowly circle around it, pelting it with pipe bombs and molotovs? There's one way too near to a large city I found, which means that there's a lot of Fs in the outskirts, including the corner with its both gunstores.

I took a drive out to try and locate it, nearly destroyed my pickup on the countless fungaloids and ants swarming all around the place and had a really tense offroad escape back to the base, where I spent 4 days fixing and upgrading the truck and preparing to try and take it down. I've now got a fixed and fully steel-plated pickup, about 500 rounds of various pistol ammo and the corresponding guns, 4 LAWs, about 20-30 molotovs worth of bottles and gas, and the ingredients for as many pipebombs as I want. Alternatively, there's a working semi not very far that I hope might make it to the spire, but I don't have the batteries to uparmor it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tonton Macoute posted:

Speaking of fungal spires, how feasible is to slowly circle around it, pelting it with pipe bombs and molotovs? There's one way too near to a large city I found, which means that there's a lot of Fs in the outskirts, including the corner with its both gunstores.

I took a drive out to try and locate it, nearly destroyed my pickup on the countless fungaloids and ants swarming all around the place and had a really tense offroad escape back to the base, where I spent 4 days fixing and upgrading the truck and preparing to try and take it down. I've now got a fixed and fully steel-plated pickup, about 500 rounds of various pistol ammo and the corresponding guns, 4 LAWs, about 20-30 molotovs worth of bottles and gas, and the ingredients for as many pipebombs as I want. Alternatively, there's a working semi not very far that I hope might make it to the spire, but I don't have the batteries to uparmor it.

Fungal spires are Tonka-tough. They have a fungal wall protecting them that regenerates incredibly quickly, so you probably want to set it all on fire with the mollys and then hit it with all the explosives you can muster. The problem is that you're going to be swarmed by fungaloids while you're doing this, so you need to have enough firepower to keep them off your back.

To put it in perspective, it usually takes two mininukes to put down a fungal spire. They're really tough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not very. Spires are pretty much immune to fire and low powered explosives won't do terribly much, either. It takes three or more dynamite explosions, as far as I remember. I'm not sure what that is in pipe bombs, but it's probably too much to be worth the bother. You can do it, but you probably don't want to.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Vehicles are retarded since when you first jump into one you can't even drive straight down a paved road. I use a nail clipper to wedge the right arrow down and drive in circles for ten minutes so I can get to driving 4, then I can drive perfectly.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

PiCroft posted:

What volume value were shelter kits in GDA previously? They are 40 at the moment which is pretty big and I assume what it was before Jon fixed it.

In GDA 0.35 they are 20 weight and volume.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nftyw posted:

Vehicles are retarded since when you first jump into one you can't even drive straight down a paved road. I use a nail clipper to wedge the right arrow down and drive in circles for ten minutes so I can get to driving 4, then I can drive perfectly.

There's a skillbook in the new GDA that can take you to 4. Plus there's a magazine that can get you to 1 in about an hour of in-game time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

nftyw posted:

I think it used to be a lot less extreme, at last as I remember it. I also kinda don't like the way it has been going recently, but since the driving skill is fairly useless otherwise, I can't really think of anything else to do with it. Maybe "can drive/can't drive" would be a decent alternative to the illiterate trait. Driving is much more of a fundamental life skill these days than reading is.

Even if it was, it maybe shouldn't be this harsh. Learning to drive wasn't really that difficult.

Vengarr posted:

There's a skillbook in the new GDA that can take you to 4. Plus there's a magazine that can get you to 1 in about an hour of in-game time.
What's it called? Usually mags can only get you to +4.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cardiovorax posted:

What's it called? Usually mags can only get you to +4.

Actually, it seems it got wiped out when GDA got merged with DDA along with the other GDA-specific changes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I also meant to say +1, so forget about that anyway. :downs:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Fungal spires are what you use your mini-nukes on.

And if you don't have any, it's possible to assemble them out of grenades, plutonium cells, and some other junk.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Strumpie posted:

Overall I think the vehicle system is pretty solid in game and probably one of my favorite parts. Creating your own vehicle is very satisfying and a good objective to have without being a tedium.
In the past things like falling out of your car at 8mph killing you was an issue and janky physics but those appear to be mostly fixed.

I really love vehicles in this game too, grabbing a motorcycle and going west as far as you can is the only way to play in my opinion. I modded them so that they take about 10x the amount of damage they do in vanilla though and you can only ram a few zombies without suffering a breakdown or a lost tire. I find weaving through zombies to be more fun than endless invincible death rally and the change makes blades and plating actually useful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The vehicle system is honestly pretty good. Other than bugs like the problem of sunlight not reaching every tile even when it should, there isn't much to complain about the system as such. Yeah, you can debate about balance, but most things work as you think they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, to reiterate: Sorry for exploding GDA, I'm in the process of mending it. Vengarr's books are back in, the shelter kit is fixed and I'm currently adding in the capability to add mutations to the professions so you can start with specific mutations. Also, since the suggestion list asked for a "Junkie" profession I added it, low hanging fruit and all that. Making it have a random addiction is a bit of hassle at the moment, but you can add specific addictions. You'll need to know the games internal names for the addictions, but I can throw them in a list and add them to a text file in the data directory so you can look them up. The same for mutations, I'll add the terms you need and what they add to a file for reference.

GDA 0.4.1: the Unfuckening will probably be ready by tomorrow night. In the meantime, if there are any other features of GDA missing, let me know.