Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BiggerBoat posted:

This transitional lenses derail thing is weird to me. Not seeing the problem. One might say I find the argument rather awkward.

This is you getting all the sweet ladies with your transitional lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

BiggerBoat posted:

If you can find it, post the one-man duet he did of "The Time of My Life" where he alternates between male and female voices. It's even more awkward that "Shut the gently caress up, Dad!"

I tried, but no luck :smith: I am sad that I now know this exists and it is beyond my reach.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

pageerror404 posted:

This was already awkward, why did someone shop the last panel?

This was the same question I had, but look again... They shopped 3 panels.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

BiggerBoat posted:

Not seeing the problem.

Visit an optometrist.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I posted a picture to Facebook last night when a friend and I went night swimming in her pool. She was wearing a bikini in it and this guy shows up to say "*gasp!* Be still my beating heart..."

If only the Ren Fest sold chainmail fedoras.

It's like he learned period garb from Playmobil figures.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Look at all you goons, defending your horrible fashion sense.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think the issue with transition lenses is that most modern glasses are designed to be somewhat inconspicuous. Drawing attention to them can draw attention to other irregularities about someone's face. I don't need glasses, and hope I never do, because I have a huge square German face and finding frames to flatter it would probably be something of a challenge. At least with sunglasses I can just wear oversized styles and look somewhat proportional.

Anyway, for content on the awkward album cover thing, here's something a friend of mine who works at a record shop recently shared:

It's a 60's girl group thing, and is probably quite a good comp. Why they chose a weird middle schooler to design the cover is kinda beyond me.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

pageerror404 posted:

This was already awkward, why did someone shop the last panel?

All the panels are shopped, take a closer look.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

There's nothing objectively wrong about transitions, they're just the fedora of glasses.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I used to think transitions were awesome, but I was 14 and fortunately could not afford them. Now I just wear contacts and sunglasses. I hate glasses so much, and this thread (or rather the people being posted in it) is a large reason why.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

front wing flexing posted:

This is you getting all the sweet ladies with your transitional lenses.

gently caress you. I don't even wear glasses, but if I did it'd probably be a pain in the rear end to carry different ones around with me all the time. Congratulations on having 20/20 vision, awesome eyesight and being uber cool with the ladies and all, I guess. When you're done with that explain to this guy:

cobalt impurity posted:

Transition lenses are fine, you weirdos. It sucks having to keep up with two pairs of glasses and constantly swap them out. I also happen to enjoy being able to read signs and poo poo while I'm driving or walking around in sunlight surrounded by bright white concrete.

What an awkward, ugly he creep he is for needing glasses and wanting convenience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Double Plus Good posted:

A whiny fight about trigger warnings is unfolding on tumblr before me, and it also involves awkward as hell dudes dressing up like steampunk robots, so it's a twofer! The "crazy hands dorm bathroom trigger PTSD panic attack" person I posted earlier is getting into a fight with this dude:

The silver one

Apparently someone requested that people tag posts involving clowns, the silver robot guy responded saying "why not tag everything that makes us uncomfortable!" and the person I posted earlier is the last reply. "LOOK. DON'T ask me to grow up and actually make steps to get my irrational and ridiculous "phobia" under control... everyone else needs to accommodate me!!!"

Someone replied to the original poster saying "calm down it's a joke" and they responded with this. Ah yes, because being made uncomfortable by images of clowns is exactly the same as having legitimate issues due to domestic abuse and rape.

To be clear, I think everyone involved in this fiasco is awkward.

Maybe a clown raped him.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress you. I don't even wear glasses, but if I did it'd probably be a pain in the rear end to carry different ones around with me all the time. Congratulations on having 20/20 vision, awesome eyesight and being uber cool with the ladies and all, I guess. When you;re done with that explain to this guy:

Why he's an awkward, ugly he creep he is for needing glasses and convenience.

You're in a thread where we make fun of people for what they're wearing and getting mad at us for making fun of people wearing transition lenses.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress you. I don't even wear glasses, but if I did it'd probably be a pain in the rear end to carry different ones around with me all the time. Congratulations on having 20/20 vision, awesome eyesight and being uber cool with the ladies and all, I guess. When you're done with that explain to this guy:

What an awkward, ugly he creep he is for needing glasses and wanting convenience.

I just use my transitions pupils for all that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe a clown raped him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6b_lSQst0

He hates that clown, with its awful frown and smiley lips.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT GLASSES

Also:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress you. I don't even wear glasses, but if I did it'd probably be a pain in the rear end to carry different ones around with me all the time. Congratulations on having 20/20 vision, awesome eyesight and being uber cool with the ladies and all, I guess. When you;re done with that explain to this guy:

Why he's an awkward, ugly he creep he is for needing glasses and convenience.

I've worn glasses since I was five. It's not that hard to have a prescription pair of polarized lenses and your regular pair. It's worth the effort to not look like a weirdo. It's worth the effort doing a lot of things to not appear awkward or ugly. In fact, if half the people in this thread put just a tiny bit more effort in they probably would be in this thread.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

So what's the story here?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

BiggerBoat posted:

You know what else is convenient?

Fanny packs.

We make fun of things in this thread.

Content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQiaurIiDM

More dads with swords, also metal. This channel owns.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I Before E posted:

I think that is ostensibly a picture of forums user and rear end in a top hat misogynist permabanned. This picture is perhaps an explanation of why he has such a difficult time in the 'sexual marketplace.'

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

I think that is ostensibly a picture of forums user and rear end in a top hat misogynist 'permabanned'.

I think he agreed with me when he quoted something I posted the day he got banned, I feel pretty bad about that

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
Can someone explain to me why people think transition lenses are cool? I want to understand.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I think that is ostensibly a picture of forums user and rear end in a top hat misogynist permabanned. This picture is perhaps an explanation of why he has such a difficult time in the 'sexual marketplace.'

Ah, I thought whatever was edited out was why the person was permabanned.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Can someone explain to me why people think transition lenses are cool? I want to understand.

BiggerBoat posted:

Convenience seems to be the reason du jour.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I Before E posted:

Let me tell you of the trials of SA goon permabanned in a thread about a kickstarter for a PUA rape manual.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555489&userid=139835

permabanned essentially tried to explain to us why PUA existed. It was because of all the sex hoarding by the alpha men in society, because women cared about money because sex is all they're good for in our patriarchal society. He was basically an MRA trying to argue from a feminist point of view. Also something about the impending population crisis as all the lower-tier males in society can't get laid. Then the topic turned to why he was so concerned about this...

permabanned posted:

It's about general tendencies, whatever works for you is good. In anecdotal way I can say that out of 65 or so people I tried to date only 2 were not placing money and status as the most important point.

The bit about "stealing sperm" is not necessarily untrue, it's usually made apparent by women, or mothers to be exact, and propagated by men who don't want to pay child support.

permabanned posted:

I was wrong - five people were interested, actually. The dating activity spans 12 years from when I was 16 to now. I tried to date most of those people between 16 and 20 and a year in Russia in 2011/12.

About half of them asked for my citizenship beforehand, another quarter said the restaurant where we went was not good enough and they'd prefer not to see me again, five or so people had children which they didn't mention, others were very insistent on their conspicuous consumption and gave hints of wanting better gifts. For reference framework - all of those people were Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, Vietnamese or Filipino and when I was dating I have spent all of my spare money on this activity.

permabanned posted:

No, I'm just not physically attracted by Caucasians. I think that all that talk about 'creepy and gross' comes from the fact that most of SA posters grew up either in monoethnic countries or monoethnic regions.

The no longer best friend (28 years old at that time) of my girlfriend married a French guy(48 years old) and now runs his entire real estate business. One of my former Japanese acquaintances (26 years old at that time) married a 66 years old French guy and went to live in Riviera. I think, or I am really willing to believe that in your social circle such a situation is non-existent and completely abnormal, but as I saw it from where I was, the general marriage and dating situation worldwide is governed and run by the economic concerns of women dis-empowered at work. Failing professional recognition and social success, they use the only other way to get ahead.

I have no idea, I am an ordinary person - I like learning languages and enjoy music and history. There's nothing particularly interesting or upsetting about me, other than the fact that I have a Russian citizenship, I move a lot for my job, when I have one, and I grew up moving between 5 different countries.
Um, maybe, I don't like children, because I was an au-pair (between 16 and 20) teacher and babysitter between (20 and 26) and had to care for infants, toddlers, K12 children etc. Having children is just too much work for nothing in return.

Yes, I was looking for a person who would be only interested in ordinary life with a lot of sex, common activities and without children or conspicuous consumption.

permabanned posted:

I have an impression that you amalgamate entitlement and need. I am a 6' 145 pound 13% fat bodyweight, self-sufficient, healthy-eating, cooking, baking, exercising and self-improving person with an interest in various types of music, Far Eastern history, society and culture, modern Japanese architecture and city management (among other things) and so on but I don't have a permanent job and an OECD citizenship and those two points seemed to be deal breakers. I am probably a boring person interested in equally boring people who would like to having lots of intimate contact - and who I've had lots of it for 5 years.

Where do you see a problem?

You have purposefully misread my posts.
That's me at 16 years old, and that's me now.
Would you gently take back your words?

Really the whole thread is worth reading. It was pretty amazing :allears:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

They're not cool, but at least unlike a fedora they are practical and convenient.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Frankston posted:

I used to think transitions were awesome, but I was 14 and fortunately could not afford them. Now I just wear contacts and sunglasses. I hate glasses so much, and this thread (or rather the people being posted in it) is a large reason why.

This is a good point. Why the gently caress does anybody wear glasses at all anymore? They make you look like a dweeb and the world has had contact lenses for something like half a century and lasik surgery for two decades. Maybe it's okay if you're a four year old and you have to have glasses strapped to your head because you can't get the contacts in yourself, but after that there's literally no excuse.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Inevitable posted:

This is a good point. Why the gently caress does anybody wear glasses at all anymore? They make you look like a dweeb and the world has had contact lenses for something like half a century and lasik surgery for two decades. Maybe it's okay if you're a four year old and you have to have glasses strapped to your head because you can't get the contacts in yourself, but after that there's literally no excuse.

Some people (such as me) look worse without glasses, others like them, lasik might not be an option for some, might dislike contacts, part of a personal style or personal choices in general, contacts might be impossible (such as multifocals I think, or specific eye damages), people who've been wearing glasses for a long time and switching would be inconvenient...

What I'm saying is that there's a large number of reasons to wear glasses.

EDIT: Apologies for the atrocious sentence structure.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Inevitable posted:

Some people just don't like the idea of things touching their eyeball. These people are probably even less inclined to have lasers shot into their eyes.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Cordyceps Headache posted:

OH MY GOD SHUT UP ABOUT GLASSES

Agreed. There is a thread in YLLS if you guys want to argue about fashionably accessorizing your face.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Time for a palate cleanser after glasseschat with some roleplaying ads.

http://flistquotes.tumblr.com/ posted:

Ugh, my son eats so unhealthy, if only there was a way to dissuade him from eating such junk. I know! Next time he orders a pizza, I’ll just slop the hot cheese and jerk him off with a few slices, or take him through the fast food drive thru and give him sloppy handjobs with the greasy burgers, that’ll teach him! ‘Would love to play out these scenes!’

don't you feel better already

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Djeser posted:

Time for a palate cleanser after glasseschat with some roleplaying ads.

don't you feel better already

When you said roleplaying, I was assuming D&D nerd. This is just :barf:.
Also, hot cheese on genitals, feel like that would probably lead to burns.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

The picture's goony but I actually want one of those tshirts :smith:

Also, I fricken love your avatar and this is a completely independent statement from the fact that I'm also in the middle of playing Last of Us.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Jamesman posted:

That creepy white guys tumblr is incredible in a very depressing way and I want to believe none of it is real.

That tumblr also linked a trailer for a documentary that seems delightfully cringeworthy. I kinda want to see the whole thing if it's available; Seeking Asian Female

I want to see the whole thing so bad! And of course, don't look at the comments. Some people seem to think this doc is against interracial couples in general. Nope, just exposing creepy fucks who want hot fantasy ethnic wife without any understanding of the consequences.

I love when the old neighbor comes in, seems the filmaker, who is also Chinese, and then exclaims that he got two of 'em!

In other news, I showed my dad and my boyfriend that one video where the brony comes out to his father, and after a good laugh, both of my guys are feeling like they were pretty good dads after all!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Inco posted:

Some people just don't like the idea of things touching their eyeball. These people are probably even less inclined to have lasers shot into their eyes.

Some people's eyes are resistant to correction other than glasses, too. I have astigmatism and have trouble finding contacts that fit comfortably, but I wore contacts for years. I can't see up close if I have my contacts in, so if I wear contacts I have to have reading glasses. Since I work at a computer all day it doesn't make sense to have to wear reading glasses when I can just take off my regular glasses and read up close. I've also been told I'm a terrible candidate for laser treatment and would almost certainly be back in glasses in less than five years.

I'm pretty terrible and awkward, but if I could get my eyes fixed I would.

I alternate between glasses and prescription sunglasses, though. No transitions for me :smug:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RazorBunny posted:

I alternate between glasses and prescription sunglasses, though. No transitions for me :smug:

I'm the bigger dork and wear big Blues Brothers sunglasses over my regular glasses

I had prescription sunglasses for one summer but they weren't dark enough for my liking.

PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross: Sweeper won't stop talking about eye poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I think the issue with transition lenses is that most modern glasses are designed to be somewhat inconspicuous.

The trendiest modern glasses have thick solid-colored plastic frames. Photochromic lenses look stupid because certain frame designs complement dark lenses better than they do clear ones, or vice versa. Most of the time people get frames that look alright when they're clear (spergs and goons love their thin vaguely square half-wire-rimmed or rimless glasses), and turn into stupid looking sunglasses when they darken (the thin wire rims/no rims make you look like a dude with two black holes for eyes rather than just a dude with sunglasses on). Photochromic lenses also turn purple or blue for the minute or so that they're changing color, and anyone wearing purple or blue tinted glasses looks stupid.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Agreed. There is a thread in YLLS if you guys want to argue about fashionably accessorizing your face.

You're not my REAL mom! I want Eggplant Wizard!

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jun 28, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm the bigger dork and wear big Blues Brothers sunglasses over my regular glasses

I had prescription sunglasses for one summer but they weren't dark enough for my liking.

PYF Awkward, Ugly, and Gross: Sweeper won't stop talking about eye poo poo

I had some clip-on sunglasses for a while, I'd say those are the dorkiest.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
I said that the glasses derail had run its course just a half dozen posts ago. Are you people BLIND!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

I said that the glasses derail had run its course just a half dozen posts ago. Are you people BLIND!?

Maybe they just need glasses (or contacts) :downsrim:

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jun 28, 2013

• Locked thread