Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

psydude posted:

There are language certifications, but they fall outside of the scope of IT certifications. You may have luck asking in SAL in your specific language thread.

hackedaccount posted:

Programming languages? Yeah Oracle has a Java certification and I saw someone mention a C++ Grandmaster certification a few days ago ( http://www.cppgm.org/ ) but when it comes to programming I think it would be better to post stuff on Github or contribute to open source projects.

I'm not a programmer but that's what I hear over and over.

Thank you both very much for replying, I should have checked the language threads first now I think about it, my bad. Thanks again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

VR Cowboy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the CCNA Design or Data Centre certs? I'm thinking I want to do them but I haven't met a single person who has or what their use it for those certs.

I got my CCDA/CCDP back in '06/07, I will admit I picked them up after getting my CCNP; I had worked in places where the networks had been planed by guys who had a hard time installing coax for TVs. I still recommend to people I have trained, even if they are just using it to recert.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Just passed ICND2, what a fuckin relief. Having some Irish whiskey to celebrate.

I have a CCNA and sec+ now, is that decent for a govt contracting job? I'm taking a few weeks off and then studying for CCNA Security.

Cheers for all the advice in here!

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

trotski posted:

I have a CCNA and sec+ now, is that decent for a govt contracting job? I'm taking a few weeks off and then studying for CCNA Security.

For DoD jobs, having your security+ and relevant computing environment cert will get your resume near the top of the stack.

You can get hired without certs for those kind of jobs, but you're required to get the certs within a certain timeframe.

Read about DoD directive 8570 for more details.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

swampcow posted:

For DoD jobs, having your security+ and relevant computing environment cert will get your resume near the top of the stack.

You can get hired without certs for those kind of jobs, but you're required to get the certs within a certain timeframe.

Read about DoD directive 8570 for more details.

1. Is Ft. Xxx good location for you?

2. This position requires you to obtain a CISSP within the first 6mo of hire. Would you be ok with pursuing this certification?

3. This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain a Secret w/SSBI security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance you need to be a U.S. Citizen and show proof of citizenship. Are you ok with this requirement as well?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Tasty Wheat posted:

1. Is Ft. Xxx good location for you?

2. This position requires you to obtain a CISSP within the first 6mo of hire. Would you be ok with pursuing this certification?

3. This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain a Secret w/SSBI security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance you need to be a U.S. Citizen and show proof of citizenship. Are you ok with this requirement as well?

I can say from experience #2 is not a hard and fast rule. I have sec+ and its fine for my work and make 6 figures. It all depends on how the position is classified within 8570. For example, if you're doing pentesting you dont need sec+ or CISSP, you need CEH. Get the right cert for the right job.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Tasty Wheat posted:

Security+ is plenty fine for entry level. Good enough for IAT II. You can't get a CISSP until you have 5 years' experience anyway, though it's a good thing to work toward.

But that won't stop your HR department from interpreting 8570 the wrong way and demanding that everyone have CISSP.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

swampcow posted:

Security+ is plenty fine for entry level. Good enough for IAT II. You can't get a CISSP until you have 5 years' experience anyway, though it's a good thing to work toward.

But that won't stop your HR department from interpreting 8570 the wrong way and demanding that everyone have CISSP.

That was from an email I received, GS positions never have ask about clearances or certs before hand, only contractor gigs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Everyone should try the contractor thing at least once to evaluate if the large amount of money is worth their sanity.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me if it's still possible to renew an A+ cert from 2000 with CE courses? If I have to retake the tests I can do it, but if there's a way to just renew with CE I'd rather do that.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Frag Viper posted:

Any questions that I should look out for or advice in general? I'm passing all of my practice tests with 85-90% scores. The only thing keeping me from taking the test is the fact that I'm broke as gently caress. I'm already putting what I know to work at my new job, but I still want to take the test because I studied for it.

There was a lot about fiber and wireless on there. And be sure you know the OSI model, how it compares to the TCP/IP model, and make drat SURE you memorize the troubleshooting methodology. The Professor Messer videos are a really good guide for all of that.

Oh and know your protocols in and out as well as which services use which ports.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 25, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
For everything up through CCNP R&S, should the following be sufficient? It's not perfect, but it's what I happen to have.

Routers: 2610, 1721
Switches: 2950, 2950, 3550

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
I want to get a Linux certification because I simply want to get some solid Linux knowledge and need the rigor of an exam to force me to learn it. I already am fairly comfortable with the command line and I have a Ubuntu fileserver at home that I used to tinker with, but thats where my experience ends. Should I start out with the Linux+ cert or should I dive right into RHCSA/RHCE? Also, aren't Linux+ and LPIC-1 basically the same test?

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

KERNOD WEL posted:

I want to get a Linux certification because I simply want to get some solid Linux knowledge and need the rigor of an exam to force me to learn it. I already am fairly comfortable with the command line and I have a Ubuntu fileserver at home that I used to tinker with, but thats where my experience ends. Should I start out with the Linux+ cert or should I dive right into RHCSA/RHCE? Also, aren't Linux+ and LPIC-1 basically the same test?

http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/partnership-programs/comptia

3 for 1

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Lareous posted:

I think next will be Sec+ as I've heard it's one of the easier ones.

I personally found the new exam a lot more challenging than when I took it three years ago. The new exam takes a lot of material from Network+, and the simulations are a pain in the rear end since absolutely no one has any study material specifically aimed at the simulations. I got the version of the exam that had 8 simulations, and from the people I've talked with who took Security+ before me that is the trickiest one of the bunch. If you only get 2-3 simulations you should just breeze through if you know the material.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Mthrboard posted:

Can anyone tell me if it's still possible to renew an A+ cert from 2000 with CE courses? If I have to retake the tests I can do it, but if there's a way to just renew with CE I'd rather do that.

Absolutely. Co-worker had his A+ from 1997 and when he passed the Sec+ it converted his A+ to A+ CE.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Does anyone have an opinion on storage certs? I'd like to learn more about what storage can do. Is storage+ a good place to start?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That or start with the EMC Information Storage and Management v2 book and associated test.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Next time I say that "I have to much time on my hands, lets go pick up a new cert", I need to hit myself in the head with a brick. At least the pain is over quickly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tasty Wheat posted:

Next time I say that "I have to much time on my hands, lets go pick up a new cert", I need to hit myself in the head with a brick. At least the pain is over quickly.

What cert was that?

I'm finally ready for my first MCSA exam (70-410) and my first CCNA exam (640-822). ...and my boss is out for the next week so I can't schedule it yet :negative:

The CCENT stuff was surprisingly really simple after subnetting finally clicked in my head. But I can tell the ICND2 exam is going to be a whole different animal, what with VLANs and STP and stuff.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

QPZIL posted:

What cert was that?

I'm finally ready for my first MCSA exam (70-410) and my first CCNA exam (640-822). ...and my boss is out for the next week so I can't schedule it yet :negative:

The CCENT stuff was surprisingly really simple after subnetting finally clicked in my head. But I can tell the ICND2 exam is going to be a whole different animal, what with VLANs and STP and stuff.

I have a test in about 3+ hours, 642-737-IAUWS, and NAC is still swimming about in my head. I somehow had the bright idea that moving from CWNP to Cisco's wireless would be a great idea.

One day I need to update my MS to this decade, just not right now, LOL.

Layer 2 is easy stuff, other then Cisco making you memorize timers, it was all the routing protocols that pained me when I took my NA.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I personally found the new exam a lot more challenging than when I took it three years ago. The new exam takes a lot of material from Network+, and the simulations are a pain in the rear end since absolutely no one has any study material specifically aimed at the simulations. I got the version of the exam that had 8 simulations, and from the people I've talked with who took Security+ before me that is the trickiest one of the bunch. If you only get 2-3 simulations you should just breeze through if you know the material.

I've heard from other people that some of the questions don't count towards your scores (the simulations). The rest (definitions) should be pretty easy. PKI covers like half of the questions.

On a related note, I just got my Sec+ Cert, should I bother with taking Net+? A+? And is it fine to work in IT without the Cisco side of the network certs? My goal would be working as a SA or work in InfoSec.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

nescience posted:

I've heard from other people that some of the questions don't count towards your scores (the simulations). The rest (definitions) should be pretty easy. PKI covers like half of the questions.

On a related note, I just got my Sec+ Cert, should I bother with taking Net+? A+? And is it fine to work in IT without the Cisco side of the network certs? My goal would be working as a SA or work in InfoSec.

There are some beta questions in the test that don't count towards your overall score, but I'm pretty sure the simulations are not it. You can generally figure out which ones are the beta questions because they come from left field and you are left scratching your head trying to figure out how the hell you're supposed to know the answer to it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The last time I took the CCNA was 2001 -- have they updated it since then? Do you still have to know all of the coax/token ring stuff?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

tarepanda posted:

The last time I took the CCNA was 2001 -- have they updated it since then? Do you still have to know all of the coax/token ring stuff?

Ummmm, no

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Thank god. I might retake it then.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to do next. I got my DoD required Security+ (or rather, I retook it because the DoD doesn't like us Certified-for-Life types), and I'm thinking of going for my MCSA 2012, but I'm waiting for some decent training materials to come out in July. It looks like the VMware class at Stanly CC is going to be full-up for August, so the earliest I can do that will likely be in January. So right now I'm leaning towards studying up for ICND1 and knocking that out before the September deadline, then I can take the brand new ICND2 within a year or two and have my CCNA. Not totally convinced on the path just yet - still got some thinking to do.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

psydude posted:

Everyone should try the contractor thing at least once to evaluate if the large amount of money is worth their sanity.

Sometimes as I take calls on fixing scan to smb or scan to email issues I reminisce about the cold lonely reality of the data center.

Then I realize that I no longer have to work 7pm to 7am on a Saturday.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

quote:

Congratulations on successfully completing the CCNP Wireless certification requirements. Certified individuals are automatically assigned a unique Cisco ID number after taking a Cisco Certification exam. Your Cisco ID number is CSCO12345678. This Cisco ID number will be listed on your certificate and should be referenced when registering for additional Cisco exams to prevent delay on receiving proper credit for your exam(s).

My brain hurts, time to go back to all the R&S I have forgotten.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Re: home-lab stuff

As soon as I'll get some more ram I'll set up mine too - and I'll try recollecting all the info spread around this and other threads - but in the meanwhile I'll contribute adding:

http://www.modern.ie/
I use this when testing web applications, it's a bunch of free Windows trials, from MS itself.
I hope I'm not reposting common wisdom.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is there a 'cool down' period after attempting the CCNA R+S exam, during which you can't resit?

I want to pass the CCNA before they drop the old syllabus, and was going to book myself in for an exam towards the end of August. If I crash and burn, presumably there's nothing to stop me booking another one for September?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

moron posted:

Is there a 'cool down' period after attempting the CCNA R+S exam, during which you can't resit?

I want to pass the CCNA before they drop the old syllabus, and was going to book myself in for an exam towards the end of August. If I crash and burn, presumably there's nothing to stop me booking another one for September?

I think any cisco exam has a mandatory wait after 2 failed tests. I don't believe a single vendor makes you wait more than 2 weeks however.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
First time failure on a Cisco cert requires you to wait a week before retaking. Not sure about repeated failures.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
How does one get on the waitlist for the Stanly VCP course? I didn't see it on their course listing and there's no real contact info for it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Sickening posted:

I think any cisco exam has a mandatory wait after 2 failed tests. I don't believe a single vendor makes you wait more than 2 weeks however.

psydude posted:

First time failure on a Cisco cert requires you to wait a week before retaking. Not sure about repeated failures.

Great, thanks guys!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MJP posted:

How does one get on the waitlist for the Stanly VCP course? I didn't see it on their course listing and there's no real contact info for it.

Most CC's sign ups don't start till mid july

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

MJP posted:

https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Brilliant, signed up.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Brilliant, signed up.

As did I. Didn't see any kind of link for that on their main page though.

Ehh. Maybe I should just cram and knock out the CCNA before those tests retire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Moey posted:

Ehh. Maybe I should just cram and knock out the CCNA before those tests retire?
The CCNA retirement has me thinking the opposite - be ready to go for the new ones, in the belief that, oh, early adopter, they'll "last longer".