Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ok...I ended up being level 21 by the time I left Dromund Kaas, and I'm curious if I actually need to go to Balmoraa, seeing as I have out-leveled it already. Is there anything I absolutely have to do there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Your class quest.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also upgrade your equipment maybe.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

tallian posted:

No drawback at all. Oranges have no stats, be they level 1 or level 55, they only have the stats their mods give them.

They may have an armor class light, medium or heavy. If the tooltip states "adaptive" then it means that it will automatically choose the best armor class for the char you equip them on.

Also orange gear may have certain base class restrictions like "Smuggler, Jedi Knight". A thing to note here is that your companions dont share your base class, so if you want to put your "Sentinel Boots" (those may actually have no restrictions but they were the first thing that came to my mind) on one of your companions because you dont like them anymore, it wont be possible.

Best thing to do is trying to get orange gear (preferably adaptive or your armor class) and always choose planetary commendations as reward, unless its an implant or ear thing. Buy mods and enhancements from the planetary vendors (always check the 1-2 vendors "above" your current planet as you will be usually slightly over-leveld). Armorings are a bit a thing since they cost 7 planetary commendations and youre probably better off getting them from a cybertech friend or maybe from the GTN, since the basic plan should be to exchange all your armorings, mods and enhancements every 4-8 levels.

Also try to get epic barrels/hilts/armorings for your guns/sticks/offhands from time to time, especially once enemies start to drop very slowly. As a point of reference: if you got all your stuff fresh and blue, with epic weapon tech/force source you can drop a current weak enemy with 1 shot if you crit. (Tested on a Commando with Grav Round.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

dogboy posted:

Best thing to do is trying to get orange gear (preferably adaptive or your armor class) and always choose planetary commendations as reward, unless its an implant or ear thing.

Actually, the green quest reward gear isn't all that bad. What I do is I take that until I find an orange for that slot that I like/want to keep, and then I'll start taking the commendations when gear for that slot i offered as a reward. It may not be strictly as efficient as loading up on oranges immediately and buying new mods constantly, but unless you have a cybertech to make them for you it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper.

Also never underestimate the usefulness of companions for PvE/levelling. It'll probably be too expensive/time consuming to try to keep them all geared up as you level, but find one that meshes well with your spec or playstyle and put some effort into keeping their gear up to date. It will more than pay for itself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Because I have a Cybertech and 5 alts doing Underworld Trading, I have been gearing up my companions with purple 66 earpieces, mods and armorings, 66 enhancements and hilts from my Artifice, 66 implants from my Biochem, and 66 barrels from my Armstech.

They're actually pretty beastly now at this point. Got into a Hammer Station HM where the tank dropped, so I had Blizz tank for my Merc healer. We actually got past the first boss and almost to the bonus boss before a tank got in the group, and didn't even wipe. I had to pop Heroic Moment and Unity during the boss fight, but we dropped him. I was kinda proud of that.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Actually, the green quest reward gear isn't all that bad. What I do is I take that until I find an orange for that slot that I like/want to keep, and then I'll start taking the commendations when gear for that slot i offered as a reward. It may not be strictly as efficient as loading up on oranges immediately and buying new mods constantly, but unless you have a cybertech to make them for you it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper.

Also never underestimate the usefulness of companions for PvE/levelling. It'll probably be too expensive/time consuming to try to keep them all geared up as you level, but find one that meshes well with your spec or playstyle and put some effort into keeping their gear up to date. It will more than pay for itself.
The quest rewards for companions are certainly plenty to keep your favourite companion up to snuff. Personally I consider changing my look every now and again important (I do not understand people who would go through an entire chapter with the same orange armor), so I stick to using oranges in the weapon/offhand slots (where they are barely visible), and occasionally helmet, since quest greens for that slot are rare.

Cost-wise, when we are talking comms, buying an orange from the Equipment Vendor will be slightly more expensive than a full set of mods (by usually 2 comms), so that is an option worth considering, if like me you like to change it up a bit, but also want the ability to keep your stats up more frequently than every five levels or however long you go between buying new gear. Another point against using mods, though I admit a minor one, is that the types available for plantetary comms won't always mesh with what you want (f.inst DPS specs will usually be forced to take the endurance-heavy armourings, you have to take crit instead of power etc).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GhostBoy posted:

(I do not understand people who would go through an entire chapter with the same orange armor)

See, I see it more as establishing a look unique to your character. Han didn't upgrade his gear during the OT. he's wearing the same duds throughout. So once I've put together 'the' look for my characters I don't feel a need to change them. It's actually kind of annoying for my Sage because I love the Rumination Vestments you can get on Nar Shaddaa, but I've yet to find a lower robe that looks good with them. Also I really want the legacy 20 Consular gear - only 7 more legacy levels to go! :negative:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I've found that it's a lot easier to find good cosmetic armor during the endgame, once reputation/commendation gear starts opening up. I think I'm rolling with an armor piece from each CRC vendor (the CRC vendors are amazing), one from basic, and one from classic comms.

It's a shame all the good looking stuff is endgame gear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I've found that it's a lot easier to find good cosmetic armor during the endgame, once reputation/commendation gear starts opening up. I think I'm rolling with an armor piece from each CRC vendor (the CRC vendors are amazing), one from basic, and one from classic comms.

It's a shame all the good looking stuff is endgame gear.

I dunno, my Mercenary and Marauder are still rocking the Black Talon chest pieces at 55. I love the look of those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

See, I see it more as establishing a look unique to your character. Han didn't upgrade his gear during the OT. he's wearing the same duds throughout. So once I've put together 'the' look for my characters I don't feel a need to change them. It's actually kind of annoying for my Sage because I love the Rumination Vestments you can get on Nar Shaddaa, but I've yet to find a lower robe that looks good with them. Also I really want the legacy 20 Consular gear - only 7 more legacy levels to go! :negative:

Is that the top with the flappy part?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Is that the top with the flappy part?

Rumination (only using the top, have no idea where the bottom drops):
http://tor-fashion.com/2013/06/19/rumination-pub/

Consular's Exalted (requires Legacy 20):
http://tor-fashion.com/2012/05/17/consulars-exalted/

e: It doesn't clip too badly, and I love the 'Diplomat Jedi' look. Would definitely drop the flap for the classy Exalted gear, though. And I've seen some non-moddable green tops (Merr-Sonn something or other) that looked similar (they are white with green highlights) that I also liked but, eh, non-moddable greens...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 27, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that's the one I meant. Rumination. It clips through lower robes, so you probably need to use pants.

Or maybe a miniskirt, since those are a thing now apparently.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If you want cheap orange gear for slots like waist that don't pop up much on low level planetary comms vendors, I'd suggest using the rotworm/frogdog gear. Lots of it flooding the market since the packs were released. Made gearing up my alt for double XP weekend much easier since I can just buy mods/armorings now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really hate that I can't buy the level 55 pvp gear as I level up. :X Level 52, nothing else to spend my warzone points on, and i'm at the cap already.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I really hate that I can't buy the level 55 pvp gear as I level up. :X Level 52, nothing else to spend my warzone points on, and i'm at the cap already.

Are you capped on ranked WZ comms?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Are you capped on ranked WZ comms?

Oooh that's a good point, no, I am not. I was working towards to just regular WZ comms set. How do I even do Ranked WZ? The option is grayed out for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Oooh that's a good point, no, I am not. I was working towards to just regular WZ comms set. How do I even do Ranked WZ? The option is grayed out for me.

I think you have to be Valor rank 40 or something, but then you just buy them like you were coverting WZ comms to planet ones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

I think you have to be Valor rank 40 or something, but then you just buy them like you were coverting WZ comms to planet ones.

Okay that explains it. This character i'm leveling again, I got to 50 back at launch, when Valor rank didn't level up with you. But I only have like 3 more ranks to go, which isn't too many Warzones.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I used the same set of Orange gear from 15-55 on my Consular. Recently I was finally able to afford the Destroyer chest and legs. Pop a Brown/White dye module in it, and you have one of the best Jedi Knight simple robes/heavy armor look. I really wish the end game armors didn't look so god awful terrible. The Consular end game sets make you look like you're in some weird cult, not a Jedi Master. Sith Inquisitors at least look like evil Sith Lords.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red Crown posted:

Sith Inquisitors at least look like evil Sith Lords.

This my character i'm leveling up right now. Their PvP gear is really great looking. I like the WZ set better then the ranked one, but both look very cool.

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
I know this issue has been brought up before and I sincerely regret having to bring it up again but sadly at this point SWTOR has become completely unplayable for me. If I am unable to rectify this problem I will have to shelve it again permenantly, which sucks now that server transfers are open and I was beginning to have a lot of fun on Jedi Covenant with TNG :(

Does anyone have ANY solution for the connectivity issue that ONLY plagues SWTOR? Outside the game my latency and internet connectivity are fine - 4 bars on my wireless signal, no drop offs, nothing. I have AT&T UVerse as an ISP. In SWTOR, I drop to one bar constantly, get the little red X of doom and either everything locks up for 3-5 minutes straight or I get dumped to desk top. Repeated resets of my modem haven't helped, I've run a diagnostic on my wireless card and my connection and nothing has helped.

My wife was having this problem intermittently last week, then it cleared up. This week it's me only it's not going away. She is on the same connection I am using and isn't having any problems. Short of calling Bioware's stupid Customer Service line can anyone recommend any other solution?

At this point I am ready to go buy a brand new ethernet cable and move my modem upstairs so I can plug in directly so that I can test connectivity with that setup. At least that way I could readily and easily release and renew my IP quickly until I get a connection that remains stable in SWTOR.

It's really really frustrating and disappointing being that we were really having a good time playing the game again. If I can't resolve this issue though I'm going to unsubscribe because gently caress paying for a game I can't play.

Hopefully someone can suggest some magic bullet.

Katina
May 3, 2009
Is anyone on Tomb of Freedon Nadd, or know of a chill guild I can join? Playing alone gets old.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

DJDace posted:

Have you ran a tracert to see if there's a particular bad hop somewhere when you connect to the server you're on? Have you tried rolling a character on another server to see if your connection is messed up in general or just to one particular server?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Have you ran a tracert to see if there's a particular bad hop somewhere when you connect to the server you're on? Have you tried rolling a character on another server to see if your connection is messed up in general or just to one particular server?

Theres also a known issue where people are seeing insanely bad lag, and it's due to a particular comcast node in like Tennessee. I don't have the name of it handy, but if you look on the SWTOR forums (wear plastic gloves while on there), you should see the name of some VPN software that re-directs you. It costs $$, but there is a 30 day free trial you can get to see if it helps.

The problem isn't with SWTOR, so don't expect Bioware to do much to help you there...you'll need to hound your ISP. :(

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Yeah it happens on Bergern Colony and on Jedi Covenant sadly.

I'll run a tracert tonight and see if I can root out the problem there. Push comes to shove I'll give using a VPN a try and see if that clears things up.

I appreciate the input everyone!

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Katina posted:

Is anyone on Tomb of Freedon Nadd, or know of a chill guild I can join? Playing alone gets old.

Imp or rep ?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Red Crown posted:

I'm interested in your assessment. I loved my shadow up to 55, I felt it had incredible utility and staying power. At 55 though, sometimes I feel like I roll 1d6 to see if my shields work and if I get 1 or 2 I die on certain pulls (I feel like someone here said that).

I've reassessed the tanking side of things, if I have a healer who is actually looking at the screen and paying attention I'm okay.

As for the pve dps... eh. Why punish yourself?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OK, so I got my ranged tank today (Lt. Iresso) and... what is the difference, exactly, between him and Qyzen Fess (melee tank)? They both use Aim, they both wear heavy armor, they have pretty much identical ability lists (Iresso has some charged shot stuff and a rifle charge, Qyzen has heavy strikes and a leap), is the AI different or something (I've only done the Sarkhai interlude with Iresso thus far)? I mean so far it seems like it's just a matter of whether you want a rifle-toting soldier along with you or a blade-carrying lizardman and the visuals are pretty much the only difference...

Also, the Consular transition from Act 2 to Act 3 is awesome. :suspense:

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

WarLocke posted:

it's just a matter of whether you want a rifle-toting soldier along with you or a blade-carrying lizardman and the visuals are pretty much the only difference...

That's it basically. The function of sending your companion into combat would be a little different, as the ranged will probably stay at range initially, whereas Qyzen charges in.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WarLocke posted:

OK, so I got my ranged tank today (Lt. Iresso) and... what is the difference, exactly, between him and Qyzen Fess (melee tank)? They both use Aim, they both wear heavy armor, they have pretty much identical ability lists (Iresso has some charged shot stuff and a rifle charge, Qyzen has heavy strikes and a leap), is the AI different or something (I've only done the Sarkhai interlude with Iresso thus far)? I mean so far it seems like it's just a matter of whether you want a rifle-toting soldier along with you or a blade-carrying lizardman and the visuals are pretty much the only difference...

Also, the Consular transition from Act 2 to Act 3 is awesome. :suspense:

Every tank companion is basically the same, every DPS companion is basically the same, and every healer companion is basically the same. Some of them just have different ranges and some renamed skills.

Edit: Melee DPS can be better for AOE leveling, since you can have them jump at a ranged mob and have all the melee ones rush after it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

After getting up to level 52 with my Assassin, I'm really glad I saved my Saber Marshall robes. I'm getting kind of sick of the armor I'm using with its crazy neck-shell and unnecessary tubes and poo poo, pretty much what Thanaton is wearing at the showdown. I mostly picked it because I felt kind of silly to start ruling the Empire wearing a simple robe, while everyone else is in fuckoff-awesome suits and such. Kinda regretting that decision. Next time I log him on it's right back to the Saber Marshall robe, hide head armor, unify colors. Classic Sith-y look, can't go wrong.

I would like to see more variety available in the dyes you can make with Artifice, though.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Alright this is now the third time in as many days that I've been about to do a WB with a group and had an Imp run in and ask for an invite. Am I an idiot who somehow missed some secret way to invite cross-faction?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blasphemaster posted:

I would like to see more variety available in the dyes you can make with Artifice, though.

That would cut into their cartel market dye pack gambling racket, though.

Like how the new speeder is $15 but looks like about 6 other speeders in game, only it has pink holo stuff. At least the Solus Secant was a unique model.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Blasphemaster posted:

After getting up to level 52 with my Assassin, I'm really glad I saved my Saber Marshall robes. I'm getting kind of sick of the armor I'm using with its crazy neck-shell and unnecessary tubes and poo poo, pretty much what Thanaton is wearing at the showdown. I mostly picked it because I felt kind of silly to start ruling the Empire wearing a simple robe, while everyone else is in fuckoff-awesome suits and such. Kinda regretting that decision. Next time I log him on it's right back to the Saber Marshall robe, hide head armor, unify colors. Classic Sith-y look, can't go wrong.

Yeah my Assassin has been wearing the saber marshmallows robe since he got it. Rakata pants, makes a nice red and black outfit. Too bad you can't dye it to experiment. :(

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
I'm wearing this on my assassin, with the eradicator set arms legs and boots. I can't stand the idea of tanking in robes or light looking armor, it just feels wrong.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Smuggler story is very... stark in its differences to the Agent one. I've only finished Coru, but even just the final missions there were vastly different. The Agent had to deal with a threat to the whole planet... Smuggler just gets their ship back.

I sorta like it more - my character feels more realistic, what with all the goals being her own, instead of just orders.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Ajax posted:

I'm wearing this on my assassin, with the eradicator set arms legs and boots. I can't stand the idea of tanking in robes or light looking armor, it just feels wrong.

Yeah, I feel the same way. This is Shadow me: (Click for huge)

The Destroyer stuff looks just like the Dire Eliminator stuff, I think it's just from a different pack. By default it's blue, not red. I threw a cheap Brown/White dye module on it to make what you see here. I just don't buy that a tank would wear the robes of some weird cult leader.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

DJDace posted:

I was having this exact same problem. Try the below registry entries, it completely solved my problem and haven't had it happen since. Also has the added bonus of lowering your ping.

http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Ran a tracert, it gets to line 2, gives my origin ISP return, the I get 3 flipping time outs, then 3 more 30ms avg returns, then the final entry for line 9 is "domain.not.configured [208.49.199.41]"

Plus, now my downloads in my browser are slow as hell all of a sudden. I may just say nuts to it, burn this mofo to the ground and start from scratch. It's making me loopy!

[EDIT]

Yeah nothing I have tried so far has worked. My last ditch effort is going to be moving the modem physically upstairs to my room and trying to plug in directly with an ethernet cable to see how that works. At least that way I can determine if it's my wireless. Additionally if its a bad hop, I can release and renew my IP much easier through a direct ethernet connection.

OH! I did find those 2 spare Logitech G13 Gaming Mice I had laying around. One is going to Jabro but the other is still up for grabs if someone wants it is and willing to pay the shipping cost to have it sent to them. Let me know if anyone is interested! No charge for the mouse itself, just the cost to ship it!

DJDace fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 28, 2013

• Locked thread