Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
Here's two that are about are about art and the world rather than just art itself. Both are good. The first is very famous.

Civilization—in full, Civilization: A Personal View by Kenneth Clark—is a television documentary series outlining the history of Western art, architecture and philosophy since the Dark Ages.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2186AC20F9C4241E

How Art Made The World is a 2005 five-part BBC One documentary series, with each episode looking at the influence of art on the current day situation of our society.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIh10gyWqHgobuCpq-UpYEfjPTHUL579d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Once I was subbing at a high school and had to show Bully to six different classes over the course of two days.

Did you do that with the "viewing guide" and other supplementary material that is available on the website? How did that go?

I visited the site after watching, just to make sure the kid turned out OK in the end and was pretty impressed with the material they supply with all the "How kids might react to this" "What questions to ask" "Things to be aware of" type stuff.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Special Kei posted:

Here's two that are about are about art and the world rather than just art itself. Both are good. The first is very famous.

Civilization—in full, Civilization: A Personal View by Kenneth Clark—is a television documentary series outlining the history of Western art, architecture and philosophy since the Dark Ages.

How Art Made The World is a 2005 five-part BBC One documentary series, with each episode looking at the influence of art on the current day situation of our society.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIh10gyWqHgobuCpq-UpYEfjPTHUL579d

Neat! Putting in queue.

I'm currently going through History Channel's Engineering an Empire series. Not being in the U.S., this was never available to me till I found it on YouTube, though I hear you Americans aren't generally quite fond of History Channel. I find the series interesting and decently well done, although episodes are a bit short for what they have to cover; they have to leave chunks out. But I'm still learning things, which is the whole point of watching a documentary. :eng101:

I'll just leave the one on the Byzantine empire (Constantinople/Istanbul) here for anyone interested, the rest can be found in the related links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ymibPV31Rs

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Just finished watching Simon Schama's Power of Art and Modern Masters, which are both excellent and accessible documentaries. Are there any other notable art docs that I should watch?

Rembrandt's J'Accuse was at one point on Netflix. I loving loved it.

IMDB posted:

J'accuse is an 'essay-istic' documentary in which Greenaway's fierce criticism of today's visual illiteracy is argued by means of a forensic search of Rembrandt's Nightwatch. Greenaway explains the background, the context, the conspiracy, the murder and the motives of all its 34 painted characters who have conspired to kill for their combined self-advantage. Greenaway leads us through Rembrandt's paintings into 17th century Amsterdam. He paints a world that is democratic in principle, but is almost entirely ruled by twelve families. The notion exists of these regents as charitable and compassionate beings. However, reality was different

The Cave of Forgotten Dreams is on Netflix and it's about one of the oldest forms of art, cave paintings. It also happens to be directed by Werner Herzog.

IMDB posted:

Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting.

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Just finished watching Simon Schama's Power of Art and Modern Masters, which are both excellent and accessible documentaries. Are there any other notable art docs that I should watch?

The late Robert Hughes did some nice series, an opinionated fellow but good stuff:

American Visions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTeDUqlasCw

Shock of the New:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_8y0sQ0HME

New Shock Of The New
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXSSTkDNwcE

Goya-Crazy Like A Genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuY3sMnEhZ4

----

Waldemar Januszczak has done a lot of great accessible art docs:
Manet - The Man Who Invented Modern Art:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXaKgPwH56A

Michelangelo Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUcZPbY71s

----

Seurat - Private Life of A Masterpiece (there's several more in the Private Life series):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3vY-CGeO-w

David Hockney - Secret Knowledge. The painter presents his case that renaissance painters used lenses to aid in creating their paintings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbFZIpNK10

----

Contemporary art-
Francis Bacon - Arena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7RAsLXkMwo

Basquiat- Radiant Child :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd729cwPT08

darkerthantheday fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 28, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat IT MAN, I ONLY HAVE SO MANY HOURS IN MY LIFE.

so many documentaries, so many responsibilities to ignore...

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

magnificent7 posted:

drat IT MAN, I ONLY HAVE SO MANY HOURS IN MY LIFE.

so many documentaries, so many responsibilities to ignore...

Right? Big decision now, clean the litter and take out the trash and recycling or binge on these inviting documentaries. :(

I'll squeeze both, one at the speed of sound, the other at leisure. Though, clock, you better stop right. Now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pilli posted:

I hear you Americans aren't generally quite fond of History Channel. I find the series interesting and decently well done, although episodes are a bit short for what they have to cover; they have to leave chunks out. But I'm still learning things, which is the whole point of watching a documentary. :eng101:

It's a good channel, but really overplays World War II, modern weapons, etc. programming to get ratings these days. Many years ago History Channel (and TLC, The Learning Channel) used to play all kinds of neat and obscure science and history documentaries. I remember watching great science shows like Connections, Newton's Apple, Invention, and others. Now it's all about reality TV and Hitler documentaries.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

xcore posted:

Did you do that with the "viewing guide" and other supplementary material that is available on the website? How did that go?

I visited the site after watching, just to make sure the kid turned out OK in the end and was pretty impressed with the material they supply with all the "How kids might react to this" "What questions to ask" "Things to be aware of" type stuff.

Sadly, no. It would have been a movie to have a discussion about, though.

mod sassinator posted:

It's a good channel, but really overplays World War II, modern weapons, etc. programming to get ratings these days. Many years ago History Channel (and TLC, The Learning Channel) used to play all kinds of neat and obscure science and history documentaries. I remember watching great science shows like Connections, Newton's Apple, Invention, and others. Now it's all about reality TV and Hitler documentaries.

I'm usually not really into WWII documentaries (especially the USA! OORAH! types you see on the History Channel) but I recently watched two from PBS that I enjoyed because they gave a different viewpoint on the war:

The Ghost Army is about a recently-declassified program during WWII where they hired art students to design and perform subterfuge like disguising factories so that they looked like countryside when viewed from the air, or setting up fake battalions of tanks made of canvas and sticks with speakers and radio transmitters playing recorded and mixed sounds of an entire army on the move. Having a bunch of art students (many of whom would go on to work in fashion, film, and comics) showing off the sketches they made of Nazi-occupied villages and the people they met over the war is a nice change of pace and surprisingly engaging considering they only saw combat once and it was by mistake. Plus they had a totally rad logo:

:iia:

Top Secret Rosies: The Female Computers of WWII is about the women they had working for the military during WWII. It's great because you usually never see women being interviewed for these types of documentaries so getting their viewpoint and perspective on helping to kill a bunch of people is very surprising and honest.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, my dad is a History Channel junkie but he can't come up with too many arguments when I say the channel is absolutely obsessed with World War II. I think his counter-argument was, "They did something on the Boer War a month ago" and that they sometimes throw you a curveball and cover... WORLD WAR I!

War is an important part of history but it isn't all of history.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Speaking of the History Channel, I just finished Ancient Aliens Debunked, which is a three hour passion piece dissecting the lies in Ancient Aliens. I loving love this. There's something seriously appealing about watching something you know to be terrible get dismantled with facts and references. Sadly, most of the youtube recommendations after watching this are the opposite kind of thing-IS HEAVEN REAL and Zeitgeist style bullshit. Are there any other skeptical, debunking docs out there?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Speaking of the History Channel, I just finished Ancient Aliens Debunked, which is a three hour passion piece dissecting the lies in Ancient Aliens. I loving love this. There's something seriously appealing about watching something you know to be terrible get dismantled with facts and references. Sadly, most of the youtube recommendations after watching this are the opposite kind of thing-IS HEAVEN REAL and Zeitgeist style bullshit. Are there any other skeptical, debunking docs out there?

While you say this, are there any good anti-Zeitgeist docus? I just chose to ignore everything with that word in it but it might be a good idea to have a link.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Special Kei posted:

Hey, this guy also has 5 one-hour videos of a BBC documentary on the history of Ireland. :woop:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I'm loving this as well. The answers are so god drat obvious.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Just watched The Devil Came on Horseback

Copied from Wiki: A documentary film by Ricki Stern and Anne Sundberg illustrating the continuing Darfur Conflict in Sudan. Based on the book by former U.S. Marine Captain Brian Steidle and his experiences while working for the African Union, the film version had its premiere at film festivals in early and mid-2007. This documentary is a Break Thru Films production in association with Global Grassroots and 3 Generations.

The award-winning film premiered at Sundance 07, was screened at the Laemmle Music Hall on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles in June 2007 and opened its nationwide release at the IFC New York in July 2007. The film won the Working Films Award at the 2007 Full Frame Documentary Festival. The film asks viewers to become educated about the on-going genocide in Darfur and laments the failure of the US and others to end this crisis.

I thought it was a disturbing, sad and well done documentary. I wouldn't watch it if your not okay with feeling hopeless about human suffering. I would like to know how Steidle feels today, maybe more about what he is doing today.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4b7RMw0rfLabxilQZCP9K-Gl-kAKgQo4

From the description:
The incredible story of Vivian Maier, the mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime, they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off cheaply.

This, as well as many, many other documentaries about photography were posted in a blog today on PetaPixel. I've seen many of them before and they're quite good - a great watch for anyone interested in photography, the history of, or any specific photographers covered by some of them.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/01/the-big-fat-list-of-documentaries-about-photography/

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

If any of you guys have HBO, a new documentary called Gideon's Army premiered the other day. I just watched it last night and it's absolutely fantastic. The film follows the stories of three public defenders and actually, the synopsis tells it better than I can.

http://gideonsarmythefilm.com/

quote:

GIDEON’S ARMY follows the personal stories of Travis Williams, Brandy Alexander and June Hardwick, three young public defenders who are part of a small group of idealistic lawyers in the Deep South challenging the assumptions that drive a criminal justice system strained to the breaking point. Backed by mentor Jonathan “Rap” Rapping, a charismatic leader who heads the Southern Public Defender Training Center (now known as Gideon’s Promise) they struggle against long hours, low pay and staggering caseloads so common that even the most committed often give up in their first year. Nearly 50 years since the landmark Supreme Court ruling Gideon vs. Wainwright that established the right to counsel, can these courageous lawyers revolutionize the way America thinks about indigent defense and make “justice for all” a reality?

It's amazing how the justice system in America gives everyone the right to council in practice, but in reality the system is so understaffed with underpaid lawyers working an insane number of cases for people who really need and deserve better that the system has become nearly ineffective.

Great film. The last case at the end had me pretty nervous.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

That was three hours well spent. I love watching dumb crock like that get debunked but on top of all that it was actually pretty informative and fascinating when it peeled away all the Ancient Aliens nonsense. More stuff like this would be great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Very well-researched and entertaining throughout. It's ironic how the actual explanations for how ancient civilizations achieved such great works of art and architecture are many times more fascinating than "an alien did it." I can't help but feel there's a little less than subtle racism at play when these kooks cannot believe that so-called primitive people were capable of complex planning and design.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

exquisite tea posted:

Very well-researched and entertaining throughout. It's ironic how the actual explanations for how ancient civilizations achieved such great works of art and architecture are many times more fascinating than "an alien did it." I can't help but feel there's a little less than subtle racism at play when these kooks cannot believe that so-called primitive people were capable of complex planning and design.

The guy going see sawing and placing boards in between was absolutely genius. Same goes to using sand to grind something down. I mean, when you spend a minute thinking about, "How would they have tried to accomplish this", using sand makes perfect sense. I guess you don't have a minute when you're trying to make money on scam ideas.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm looking for documentaries about Byzantine/Eastern Roman empire, I feel like I have a decent coverage about the founding to the end of the principate but almost nothing about after the split (currently listening to the great History of Rome podcast that I'm sure I picked up in here, with the History of Byzantium queued up next).

I know I've seen a documentary that went to Istanbul at some point and talked about how loads of ruins are sitting around in back alleys full of drug addicts, more along that line would also be appreciated.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Not just that any particular race should feel offended (although I do agree with you there), the entirety of humanity should feel offended. "An alien did it" invalidates the tremendous physical and mental efforts put into these projects.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Fellblade posted:

I'm looking for documentaries about Byzantine/Eastern Roman empire, I feel like I have a decent coverage about the founding to the end of the principate but almost nothing about after the split (currently listening to the great History of Rome podcast that I'm sure I picked up in here, with the History of Byzantium queued up next).

I know I've seen a documentary that went to Istanbul at some point and talked about how loads of ruins are sitting around in back alleys full of drug addicts, more along that line would also be appreciated.

While not a documentary, The 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast is a really great listen. It talks a lot about Istanbul and what was built and destroyed there, so I think you would like it.

Does anyone know any recent good Ape or primate documentaries? I've lately got a nature documentary itch.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mappo posted:

While not a documentary, The 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast is a really great listen. It talks a lot about Istanbul and what was built and destroyed there, so I think you would like it.

Does anyone know any recent good Ape or primate documentaries? I've lately got a nature documentary itch.

Another podcast: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is amazing. He did a six-part series about the end of the Roman Republic, so you could start with that.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Popelmon posted:

Another podcast: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is amazing. He did a six-part series about the end of the Roman Republic, so you could start with that.

This is indeed where I started (and then covered again in History of Rome).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fellblade posted:

This is indeed where I started (and then covered again in History of Rome).

I started with The History of Rome. It's as thorough and exhausting as the title suggests it is but it's well worth the listen. I'm curious as to why they tried making a film about Hannibal for years since, as brilliant as he was, there were huge stretches of time where he did very little (Other than march around and take over towns).

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

This is fascinating. Although, now I'm going to have to think of a way to bring up the Zecharia Sitchin book on my girlfriends bookshelf.

also:

Pilli posted:

Hey, this guy also has 5 one-hour videos of a BBC documentary on the history of Ireland. :woop:
This sounds really interesting, but the link doesn't seem to be working. :(

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Ohvee posted:

This is fascinating. Although, now I'm going to have to think of a way to bring up the Zecharia Sitchin book on my girlfriends bookshelf.

also:
This sounds really interesting, but the link doesn't seem to be working. :(

You're right, it's no good. Here's the first part, then. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN0ndWAgA6o&hd=1

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Did...did you guys actually watch Ancient aliens: debunked all the way through? The vast majority of it is great, but then in the end he goes off on a really weird tangent about his own pet idiocy about Noah's flood being real and exhibits the exact same fallacies that he points out in history channel program. It kinda throws the whole thing into a weird light.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Humboldt squid posted:

Did...did you guys actually watch Ancient aliens: debunked all the way through? The vast majority of it is great, but then in the end he goes off on a really weird tangent about his own pet idiocy about Noah's flood being real and exhibits the exact same fallacies that he points out in history channel program. It kinda throws the whole thing into a weird light.

Oh agreed. He's likely a lot like my dad and watches stuff like the Naked Archaeologist which does everything they can to prove the historical accuracy of biblical text.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Humboldt squid posted:

Yeah that was kinda weird, if I were showing this to a class I would just cut out the last 10 minutes or so.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That drat Satyr posted:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4b7RMw0rfLabxilQZCP9K-Gl-kAKgQo4

From the description:
The incredible story of Vivian Maier, the mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime, they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off cheaply.

This was incredible. Absolutely fascinating.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Humboldt squid posted:

Oh, I actually ran out of time to watch it with ~30 minutes left. I'll forget the rest exists.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I finished watching Chasing Ice on Netflix. Can anyone recommend other documentaries on climate change? There has to be other ones out there besides An Inconvenient Truth.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

err posted:

I finished watching Chasing Ice on Netflix. Can anyone recommend other documentaries on climate change? There has to be other ones out there besides An Inconvenient Truth.

Since the home-made Ancient Aliens Debunked doc was posted earlier, I figure it's kosher to mention potholer54. The dude has a fantastic ongoing series about climate change where he addresses specific myths and arguments. Their production values are non-existent (they're narrated slide shows with a few video clips) but he presents things in a very accessible way and isn't shrill or insulting.

If you poke around his channel he also has a great series on evolution (that, sadly, indulges in some :jerkbag: religion-bashing that makes it a lot harder to show to the people who would probably benefit from it the most) as well as some stand-alone pieces about journalism based on his own work as a journalist.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This is a pretty good documentary about Andre the Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxck08l_aFc

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hitlers Children is a documentary about the families of Hitlers inner circle. It fascinates me that they feel guilty for things they did not do. But all the same a pretty good time killer

http://www.hitlerschildren.com/

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Hitler's Children was so good. I really want to watch Forgiving Mengele next. Both are on Netflix!

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

ChocNitty posted:

This is a pretty good documentary about Andre the Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxck08l_aFc

I really enjoyed this. I wasn't old enough to have seen Andre, but he seemed like a very sweet man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

PoPcornTG posted:

I really enjoyed this. I wasn't old enough to have seen Andre, but he seemed like a very sweet man.

Same - my earliest memories of the WWF started with the Hulk Hogan era so I wasn't around to understand how Andre helped the WWF gain mainstream media attention. I definitely was getting pretty watery eyed at the end of this though.