Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Orzo posted:

Out of curiosity and lack of encyclopedic game knowledge, what are some examples of 'collectathon' games? I mean, there's games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and DK 64, but none of those games were ever billed as collection quests explicitly--it's just a feature that happened to be in the game.

On the PlayStation side, Spyro and Crash come to mind. They're never billed as "collectathon" games, they usually just fell under the blanket term "platformers." But they had a big old pile of stuff to collect while you were jumping on platforms.

They've also pretty much completely died out these days, which is kind of a shame because they could be really great when done well. I blame DK64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Yikes. I don't see Dark Matter making it. 2,490 / 50,000 with 20 days left.

... I really do wonder how much having a non-$ currency hurts these. Their presentation has other issues (that splash image, god drat), but the non-$ currency seems to have a real impact. Couldn't Kickstarter swap it out so that it shows converted currency relative to the user, instead of the project?
They probably won't due to the way currency exchange rates fluctuate. Doesn't matter much for tossing 15$ after something, but some people are throwing thousands of dollars at these things, where small exchange rate changes could mean a lot of dough. Kickstarter would then need to keep the values constantly updated relative to what the payout amount should be, which kinda spoils the presentation (Pledge 1623,652 canada-dollars looks less good than a nice round number).

It shouldn't matter. I mean, how hard is it to toss a line after google to convert back to dollars? But it probably has some influence. The Nelly Cootaloot KS did the right thing IMO: They were in £, but listed approximate dollar values next to all the tiers, as well as by the total.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a reason it's set to ten days? That's slightly...suicidal.

His rent's due in 11 days.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Orzo posted:

Out of curiosity and lack of encyclopedic game knowledge, what are some examples of 'collectathon' games? I mean, there's games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and DK 64, but none of those games were ever billed as collection quests explicitly--it's just a feature that happened to be in the game.

Also the new Giana Sisters.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Also the new Giana Sisters.

That one's a good example. There are hundreds of gems strewn across every stage, and you need to find a poo poo-load in
order to unluck more stages. The stages are pretty good with several different paths, thankfully.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

This is... surreal. Yeah.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Satellite Reign [aka It's Totally Syndicate But We Couldn't Get the Name] just went live:

quote:

Satellite Reign is a real-time, class-based strategy game. You control a team of four agents, each with distinct and unique abilities, collectively battling for control of a fully simulated, living cyberpunk city.

The game world is designed to facilitate emergent gameplay, giving you the tools and freedom to play how you want to play, so you can create strategies and scenarios that not even we had anticipated!

Customise your team with the strength to destroy your enemies head-on, or hack into their facilities to manipulate their infrastructure without them ever knowing you were even there.

Will you take down your enemies with brute-force? Covert espionage and infiltration? Or will you use propaganda to influence the citizens of the city and overthrow the controlling powers?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5livesstudios/satellite-reign

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 28, 2013

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Orzo posted:

DK 64, not billed as a collectathon game? In my experience, it's the most collectathon game I've ever played. There's so much junk to collect everywhere. Banana coins, yellow bananas, red bananas, giant bananas, gold bananas, blueprints, keys, balloons. And many things are only obtainable by certain characters. There's a million things to collect. If, when describing the game, you don't start with "DK64 is a game where you collect...", then it's not a good description of it.

A Hat In Time looked interesting and charming, and I considered pledging for it. I liked Mario 64, after all. But then I remember DK64, and all the stuff to collect in there, and decided, naaah, I'll just wait and see how Hat In Time turns out.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 28, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Great Rumbler posted:

Satellite Reign [aka It's Totally Syndicate But We Couldn't Get the Name] just went live:

I've never even played Syndicate but I know how beloved it is. Defiantly going to put the minimum down for now and will up it if it sounds like it's got itself together.

Edit: I have to say though I think the name will hurt them. Satellite Reign just doesn't sound interesting.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 28, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Krabkolash posted:

Note that this is flexible funding, so wait until its funded if you're at all interested. Otherwise you're just throwing money away if it doesn't get funded.

Yeah. Had they have been fixed funding they'd already have my money, I love KoF, but with flexible no way am I giving any money to them until their over the goal.

It would be interesting to see some stats to see if flexible funding projects make less, I strongly suspect they do.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a reason it's set to ten days? That's slightly...suicidal.

According to something posted in the OUYA thread he noticed that kickstarters tend to make most of their money very early and very late in their funding cycle, but proceeded slowly during the middle, so he wanted to "cut out the middle period".

As such he has decided to cut out all funding he would receive in the 20 or so days he isn't running the kickstarter for, not to mention limit his exposure opportunities greatly.

He really should have run this by someone before starting, maybe announced it ahead of time to try build up some popularity beforehand, commissioned some artists to draw him some interesting concepts (though, given how much money he's already sunk into this project it's probably good he hasn't done that). Still, he didn't even start his super-short kickstarter with a clear vision for what his game should be.

What I'm saying is yeah, it's incredibly self-defeating, but no more than usual.

Cstar
Aug 17, 2006
I've no way of knowing what whims I might have!

Darkhold posted:

Edit: I have to say though I think the name will hurt them. Satellite Reign just doesn't sound interesting.
Think it'll appeal to the fans of the originals tho, it's a pun based on a weapon in Syndicate Wars, Satellite Rain.

Atleast that's how I more or less knew what it'd be just by the name when it was originally announced.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Cstar posted:

Think it'll appeal to the fans of the originals tho, it's a pun based on a weapon in Syndicate Wars, Satellite Rain.

Atleast that's how I more or less knew what it'd be just by the name when it was originally announced.
I guess that makes sense then. Hopefully the fans that know the name will spread the word enough to get it funded up to a decent level.

That video was hilarious and horrifying at the same time. I can see I missed out on a hell of a game.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I really hope the IPL guys won't die :ohdear:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Call Now posted:

I really hope the IPL guys won't die :ohdear:
I can't tell how much of that is real, and how much of it is the marketting angle they're playing with Knock Knock.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Shalinor posted:

I can't tell how much of that is real, and how much of it is the marketting angle they're playing with Knock Knock.

Haha, nice to see it's not just me.

"The game has killed most of the team... I'm sending out this game not as a form of entertainment... But as a warning..."

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
It somehow sounds way more plausible when the dev team is from Russia.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I'm worried about the fact that the project is in pounds and asking for a sizable amount (£350,000). My thoughts on how pounds hurt the project's chance of being funded are already on record in the thread. I hope the Syndicate name will have more effect than the absolute drag funding in £ is.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Great Rumbler posted:

Looks pretty interesting, but it's outside of my price range for the relatively small number of game shots.

quote:

Some of us have worked together for nearly a decade! Collectively, we have worked on a wide range of genres and notable titles including the Syndicate series, GTA IV, Darksiders II, Star Wars, L.A. Noire, and many more.

There was Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, unless they're referring to the EA 'reboot', and I'm not sure what Star Wars they're referring to. It's on my watch list.

Edit: persuadatron might have been a slightly more recognizable name from the game-breaking weapon we all loved...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Call Now posted:

It somehow sounds way more plausible when the dev team is from Russia.
And also completely insane, as the IPL people sometimes seem to be.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
These days you can see countless people saying that he/she have worked on this and that Tripple-A title. The thing is, unless the said individual was one of the top leads on that project, being one of the hundreds of people that did god knows what task on the game amounts to very little. It is not the same thing as being one of a handful of people who worked on the games of old or indies of new. So take those types of comments with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, I'd support the hell out of any re-imagining of the Syndicate.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It reminds me of all those 'By the producer of popular film' credits.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

echoMateria posted:

These days you can see countless people saying that he/she have worked on this and that Tripple-A title. The thing is, unless the said individual was one of the top leads on that project, being one of the hundreds of people that did god knows what task on the game amounts to very little. It is not the same thing as being one of a handful of people who worked on the games of old or indies of new. So take those types of comments with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, I'd support the hell out of any re-imagining of the Syndicate.
I think it's supposed to be less "hey we worked on these AAA titles so we totally got what it takes" and more "hey we at least have industry experience so we're not completely talking out of your rear end". Same reason employers value any industry experience above all else.

Anyways you can just do some research. Mike Diskett is an industry veteran, former Bullfrog and the lead behind various projects, including Syndicate Wars. The rest are just various staff, but their credentials check out (Darksiders II, L.A. Noire, Star Wars The Clone Wars, The Legend of Spyro, Viva Pinata, etc).

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 28, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When it comes to indie releases, I trust people who have more grunt work experience than the actual director/producer of a famous project. I would totally take a team of industry vets who actually work on video games over a big name faceguy who's putting together a team of nobodies. I have no idea who is working at 22cans (Godus) other than Molyneux and I don't know who's developing Shroud of the Avatar and that's what worries me more.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The St. Christopher's School Lockdown is about £1500 away from being funded. It's a point-and-click adventure game from an indie crew/team of people that met in art college that seems, despite a few worrying details, to be headed in the right direction. I would say that the positive traits I'm seeing so far are in the design decisions and the artwork; the team seems to have a really good grasp on what's important to keep in a point-and-click adventure, and what kills it. And the artwork seems pretty competent. Also, their soundtrack (or at least what samples they've released) seems to be headed in a good direction.

However, the lead creative person writing for the Kickstarter seems to be a bit, ah... excitable, in a way that may be grating to some people. I don't know if that "all caps and exclamation points= so zany" style will bleed into the actual game's dialogue, but I kinda hope not.
Also, one of the main points it's pushing is "based on current and on-going political happenings!", which is pretty iffy in a video game to say the least, and I hope doesn't end up being really heavy-handed or preachy.

I feel like it's worth a look at though, and strongly encourage considering throwing some money at it. Point-and-click adventures tend to be a fairly mixed bag, so I encourage helping fund one that seems to really have a grasp on the genre.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had never heard the term 'collectathon' before the Hat in Time KS but that perfectly describes my least favorite element in many games. Any time I have to go around collecting goofy crap as a main game activity it feels like a minimum wage job kind of activity. That said, in a lot of the 'collectathon' games described I ignored the collecting aspect and just enjoyed the exploration and traversal. My wife obsessively collected all the little bits and extras in Arkham City while I just had a handful I grabbed on the way through the story.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I had never heard the term 'collectathon' before the Hat in Time KS but that perfectly describes my least favorite element in many games. Any time I have to go around collecting goofy crap as a main game activity it feels like a minimum wage job kind of activity. That said, in a lot of the 'collectathon' games described I ignored the collecting aspect and just enjoyed the exploration and traversal. My wife obsessively collected all the little bits and extras in Arkham City while I just had a handful I grabbed on the way through the story.

Yeah, but some people like exploring worlds, and collection of arbitrary tokens tells you just how much you've explored.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^^^^^ Those people are a part of what brought about the existence of Achievements in gaming as well.

Great Rumbler posted:

Their first stretch goal is that they'll get the Syndicate composer so uh... yeah, this is basically the Syndicate game people wanted when the FPS was announced I guess. Going to have to keep an eye on this since I just (re)bought Syndicate and Syndicate Wars off a recent GOG sale and have been playing them. The original's still fun even though the challenge isn't quite as high as when I played it as a kid in middle school on a 486.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: ^^^^^^ Those people are a part of what brought about the existence of Achievements in gaming as well.

Their first stretch goal is that they'll get the Syndicate composer so uh... yeah, this is basically the Syndicate game people wanted when the FPS was announced I guess. Going to have to keep an eye on this since I just (re)bought Syndicate and Syndicate Wars off a recent GOG sale and have been playing them. The original's still fun even though the challenge isn't quite as high as when I played it as a kid in middle school on a 486.
Have you gotten to the Atlantic Accelerator yet?

Or try American Revolt if it was included.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Here's a new one: an indie tactical RPG that's set up as a cross between FF Tactics and Fire Emblem. It's called Liege, and it actually looks pretty decent if you're into the sort of game it's trying to be. I feel like there's a high chance it will fall short of expectations, so I'm still considering whether or not to back it, but it's definitely on my watch list.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I stopped reading Liege's pitch at "planned as a trilogy". There's only one pre-planned trilogy I know of that has ever actually gotten the third game, and it was made by BioWare. There's just way, way, way too many things that can go wrong with planning for a trilogy of games when you're an indie.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It could still be a totally worthwhile investment and fun game without finishing the story, but yeah that put me off too. I put it on the watch list but I'm not in a hurry to throw money at them from what they're showing so far.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still waiting for Viewtiful Joe 3 :negative:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

seorin posted:

Here's a new one: an indie tactical RPG that's set up as a cross between FF Tactics and Fire Emblem. It's called Liege, and it actually looks pretty decent if you're into the sort of game it's trying to be. I feel like there's a high chance it will fall short of expectations, so I'm still considering whether or not to back it, but it's definitely on my watch list.

I really like how it looks, actually. I dig that visual style and the character art is drat spiffy. I don't believe I'll join the kickstart, but it looks like it could be cool.

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

seorin posted:

They must have been bummed by Massive Chalice going right before them.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
It's over a third funded in its first day of pledging, so I doubt it's going to have trouble making it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Eh, it varies. At its core, Mario 64 is a collectathon. There are worlds; hidden in each world is 6 stars, 100 coins and 8 red coins. Explore and collect them all!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zurai posted:

I stopped reading Liege's pitch at "planned as a trilogy". There's only one pre-planned trilogy I know of that has ever actually gotten the third game, and it was made by BioWare. There's just way, way, way too many things that can go wrong with planning for a trilogy of games when you're an indie.

Gears of War, Halo, literally every game with a 3 at the end was "planned as a trilogy." Mass Effect was just marketed as such, with the goal of making choices that would have payoffs in subsequent games.

for that Liege game, though, hasn't this building been done in a tileset made by a goon (with the trees copy/pasted in after, I believe)

The cliff here reminds me of the cliff at the top of Sabin's mountain in FF6j, but that might just be a common graphical trope:

They stood out to me for some reason, not trying to make accusations.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 29, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

MikeJF posted:

Eh, it varies. At its core, Mario 64 is a collectathon. There are worlds; hidden in each world is 6 stars, 100 coins and 8 red coins. Explore and collect them all!
The thing that interests me, as someone else pointed out, is that a Hat in Time is being advertised as a collection game. Even DK64, the mother of all collecty games, didn't advertise itself as such (by the way, watching old video game commericals on Youtube is really entertaining. My personal favorite: Secret of Evermore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEu8wDAQuDk). Will collecting things be as fun as it normally is when you're told that it's the main objective? Maybe, maybe not, I will definitely be reading reviews for Hat in Time--if they're very good, I think I'll pick it up, it looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Gears of War, Halo, literally every game with a 3 at the end was "planned as a trilogy." Mass Effect was just marketed as such, with the goal of making choices that would have payoffs in subsequent games.

I think a lot of video game trilogies began as a single title that sold beyond expectations so it got milked as far as they could get it. Trilogy is a pretty good stopping point for a main story, then you get prequels (Halo: Reach, ODST, the new Gears of War), reimaginings, and side games (Black Ops vs World at War or Modern Warfare). I don't think many big name developers plan on a trilogy for a game series until the first one sells.