Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think Avacyn's Glory is so good that people will play nothing but. Deadwalkers is a pretty hard counter to it, and Mind Maze can stomp it.

That said here's my build:

1 x Mikaeus, the Lunarch

Jesus this card is ridiculous. Remember, if you have Honor of the Pure out you can just remove the last counter on him, or if not you can suicide him at combat damage step if that'll give you lethal.

ALSO, PROTIP FOR NEW PLAYERS: You can tap and +1/+1 him after declaring him as a blocker. This is also different from how Magic used to work (tapped blockers used to not deal damage way back in the day, I think). So tap him every turn but never tap him until the last second (End Step of your opponent's phase usually).

3 x Champion of the Parish

2 x Doomed Traveler

Poor guy. :(

1 x Selfless Cathar

Not amazing, but I like having the chance to put out some combat tricks since his ability isn't a tap ability and with this deck I often have lots of extra land.

1 x Soul Warden

I just really don't need to gain life so much as to run both 'em.

2 x Path to Exile

I love how Wizards once thought Swords to Plowshares was too good and now they just give white All the best removal (see also: Condemn)

2 x Thalia

:allears:

1 x Elite Inquisitor

He ain't afraid of no ghost Zombie. I also hope this guy is a hint that the Expansion will have a Werewolf deck.

1 x Grand Abolisher

This guy is so :black101: even Jace is all "Erm, actually, never mind, I'll wait til my turn".

2 x Unruly Mob

These guys are the nuts and the bolts. People will forget to remove them and before you know it, they're a drat 10/10

2 x Honor of the Pure

...because why would you not?

1 x Bonds of Faith

Wish there were more. In almost every matchup, it's literally Pacifism only better.

3 x Gather the Townsfolk

Obviously I'd rather have Raise the Alarm because Fateful Hour is poo poo, but whatever.

2 x Mentor of the Meek

Draws cards.

1 x Thraben Doomsayer

Makes guys.

3 x Fiend Hunter

Gets rid of guys.

2 x Oblivion Ring

Gets rid of everything.

1 x Restoration Angel

I want to run as many combat trick as possible, and even something as simple as using her to give my Champions a +1/+1 during combat is very useful. Plus, 3/4 for 4 with Flash.

2 x Angelic Overseer

This is the animated card in this deck. It's also a boss.

1 x Baneslayer Angel

Just because.

1 x Increasing Devotion

I run this instead of Geist-Honored Monk because it does the same thing only better. The Monk herself has never been much of an issue, by the time I get to 5 mana I'd rather have 5 dudes than 2 and a fatty without Flying. I'd run Captain of the Watch though, if it were an option.

1 x Hallowed Burial

Eh, you need a reset button sometimes.

1 x Twilight Shepherd

Did you read this card? This card is insane. AND it has Persist.

23 Plains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

I must say, a t1 though scour can completely destroy some of the encounters. Their intricately stacked deck falls apart with the slightest bit of disruption. I imagine t1 path their 1 drop so that they shuffle is even more disruptive.

It has the landfall - 2 health antelope. That's better than the charm.

It completely blows up that gruul encounter that centers around bloodlust effects.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I unironically love the lifegain artifacts, but not from a gameplay perspective.

The two biggest mental humps to get over when learning this game revolve around life. The first we've mentioned, that life is a resource and you only have to protect the from last point of damage (though with different decks, you have to start worrying about it at different points in the game).

The second is that damage you don't take is no different than life you gained. It makes sense once you hear it out loud, and seems intuitive to people who have been playing forever, but it's a pretty big lightbulb that goes off over people's heads when they are first learning the game.

A vanilla 2/2 for that same 3 colorless mana has the potential to gain you more life than the artifact, and it has the benefit of dealing damage or potentially killing something when it dies.

If you play your 2/2 with no abilities on your turn 3, then your opponent untaps, plays a 4/1 haste creature and doesn't swing with it, your 2/2 just gained you four life. If he does swing on his next turn and you block and trade with that 4/1, your 2/2 gained you eight life and killed a creature. It's a simple interaction, but understanding why the lifegain artifacts are bad is why they keep putting them in core sets.

It's because they look amazing to a new player, and they help to evolve the new player into the next phase of the game. They are kind of the perfect coreset Magic cards and it's why they're in every starter deck in every version of DOTP.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 28, 2013

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Umberger posted:

It could be. The dll to ignore hash mismatches (or whatever it does that allows custom decks) is out, and there are very rudimentary mods being made: changing order of unlocks, unlocking promos, changing unlocks to other cards, etc etc.

Of those I'm only really interested in the promo unlocks. I did a cursory google search but the only results were from last year. Has anyone seen unlock codes for this year's game yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr.Kite posted:

Of those I'm only really interested in the promo unlocks. I did a cursory google search but the only results were from last year. Has anyone seen unlock codes for this year's game yet?

The unlock codes this year require server-side verification, so (at least on console) nobody is going to get them until Wizards is ready to release them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

precision posted:

I don't think Avacyn's Glory is so good that people will play nothing but. Deadwalkers is a pretty hard counter to it, and Mind Maze can stomp it.

No Goldnight Commanders? Those guys seem to be behind most wins with that deck from what I've seen.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I haven't played magic in over a decade and gave this a go. Beat the campaign, and even though there were some challenging parts, mostly solved simply by swapping decks after a few attempts, I still managed to complete it. Sealed mode is another story.

Holy poo poo. I cannot, for the life of me, build a 40 card deck to even get close to beating the the first sealed deck opponent. I tested both decks and beat the test ai with a decent lead, but I get completely murdered on the first actual sealed opponent, even on the easiest difficulty. It was frustrating enough in the campaign to see the AI draw, which would imply it was actually random, the same cards and make the same moves over and over again. I've only played 5 online matches with those same sealed decks, and I've won 4. I'm no magic wizard but they need to fix this offline ai/card drawing poo poo. Can you even unlock card/packs by playing sealed online matches?

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 28, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kanfy posted:

No Goldnight Commanders? Those guys seem to be behind most wins with that deck from what I've seen.

Nah, I don't think they're necessary. They're good, but not necessary. I'd rather run more Selfless Cathars than them, in fact.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I run the Commanders over Mob. I just dislike Mob and Commander pumps your side.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

precision posted:

1 x Twilight Shepherd

Let's talk about Persist and counters. Persist says if this creature dies and doesn't have any -1/-1 counters on it, it comes back into play with a -1/-1 counter on it. MtG has a rule that instead of letting -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters exist on a card simultaneously, they instead act like anti-matter and will cancel each other out. So if your Twilight Shepard dies, comes back, and you have an effect (like Mikaeus, or Elder Cathar dying) that puts a +1/+1 counter on it, it goes back to baseline and can die and Persist again.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Mr.Kite posted:

The only way to get them currently is by unpacking the deck WAD, editing the XML to change the unlock conditions of the promo cards, then repacking the WAD. So, as far as I know, there's no way to do this and be able to play online at the moment (you'll get the sync error that people have been mentioning).

For reference this forum is the place to go for modding the games. If anyone wants me to remove this link/views it as malicious just let me know, but again as far as I know there's no way to use mods online except maybe in Sealed play but I'm not 100% on that or how easy that even is.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So are there any decks that are actually playable online while everyone's playing AG?

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing the 70-80+ card decks curve out perfectly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

legoman727 posted:

So are there any decks that are actually playable online while everyone's playing AG?

Deadwalkers, Mind Maze, Sliver Hive all deal with Avacyn's Glory pretty well.

I had my doubts about Sliver Hive but it performs beautifully.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

precision posted:

1 x Twilight Shepherd

I actually read it incorrectly at first. I thought when I cast that card all of the creature cards in my graveyard go back to my hand and didn't notice it said "died in battle this turn". Even though it persists, actually using the card didn't seem all that helpful in matches.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So earlier in this thread there was mention of a way to reset your sealed deck pools. I'm using the Steam version. Can someone walk me through how to do this? I couldn't find an answer.

Of note, I purchased additional sealed deck slots and I like one of my decks. Is it possible to reset one deck or do you have to reset them all at once?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

katkillad2 posted:

I actually read it incorrectly at first. I thought when I cast that card all of the creature cards in my graveyard go back to my hand and didn't notice it said "died in battle this turn". Even though it persists, actually using the card didn't seem all that helpful in matches.

Avacyn's Glory has guys dying a lot. You may even want to do something like suicide run a Fiend Hunter, wanting it to be blocked and killed, so you can Twilight Shepherd and pick a new target when you cast it again.

This is on top of the obvious combo potential with Champions of the Parish.

Besides all that, a 5/5 with Flying, Vigilance and Persist for 6 is an amazing value by itself.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

precision posted:

I was glad to see the zombie deck is still effective, it was my favorite in 2013.

Watching your opponent trying to keep Gravecrawlers dead is amazing.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Umberger posted:

For reference this forum is the place to go for modding the games.

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was looking for. One of the threads there seems to have found a way to unlock the promos (by converting them to normal unlocks) while retaining the ability to play online (by disabling hash checking). I haven't tried it myself, but I'll report back this evening when I get a chance to try it out.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Kanfy posted:

I was glad to see the zombie deck is still effective, it was my favorite in 2013.

Watching your opponent trying to keep Gravecrawlers dead is amazing.

Agreed. I just finished the game and the first deck I unlocked was black. I wish it had some drain life and a couple of flying vampires though.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
I feel bad that my sealed decks aren't batshit insane. I'm running a reasonably coherent Gruul deck in one slot and a removal-heavy Jund deck in the other.

precision posted:

1 x Mikaeus, the Lunarch

Jesus this card is ridiculous. Remember, if you have Honor of the Pure out you can just remove the last counter on him, or if not you can suicide him at combat damage step if that'll give you lethal.

ALSO, PROTIP FOR NEW PLAYERS: You can tap and +1/+1 him after declaring him as a blocker. This is also different from how Magic used to work (tapped blockers used to not deal damage way back in the day, I think). So tap him every turn but never tap him until the last second (End Step of your opponent's phase usually).

3 x Champion of the Parish

2 x Doomed Traveler

Poor guy. :(

1 x Selfless Cathar

Not amazing, but I like having the chance to put out some combat tricks since his ability isn't a tap ability and with this deck I often have lots of extra land.

1 x Soul Warden

I just really don't need to gain life so much as to run both 'em.

2 x Path to Exile

I love how Wizards once thought Swords to Plowshares was too good and now they just give white All the best removal (see also: Condemn)

2 x Thalia

:allears:

1 x Elite Inquisitor

He ain't afraid of no ghost Zombie. I also hope this guy is a hint that the Expansion will have a Werewolf deck.

1 x Grand Abolisher

This guy is so :black101: even Jace is all "Erm, actually, never mind, I'll wait til my turn".

2 x Unruly Mob

These guys are the nuts and the bolts. People will forget to remove them and before you know it, they're a drat 10/10

2 x Honor of the Pure

...because why would you not?

1 x Bonds of Faith

Wish there were more. In almost every matchup, it's literally Pacifism only better.

3 x Gather the Townsfolk

Obviously I'd rather have Raise the Alarm because Fateful Hour is poo poo, but whatever.

2 x Mentor of the Meek

Draws cards.

1 x Thraben Doomsayer

Makes guys.

3 x Fiend Hunter

Gets rid of guys.

2 x Oblivion Ring

Gets rid of everything.

1 x Restoration Angel

I want to run as many combat trick as possible, and even something as simple as using her to give my Champions a +1/+1 during combat is very useful. Plus, 3/4 for 4 with Flash.

2 x Angelic Overseer

This is the animated card in this deck. It's also a boss.

1 x Baneslayer Angel

Just because.

1 x Increasing Devotion

I run this instead of Geist-Honored Monk because it does the same thing only better. The Monk herself has never been much of an issue, by the time I get to 5 mana I'd rather have 5 dudes than 2 and a fatty without Flying. I'd run Captain of the Watch though, if it were an option.

1 x Hallowed Burial

Eh, you need a reset button sometimes.

1 x Twilight Shepherd

23 Plains

I think I might slot in Twilight Shepherd over Devout Invocation since it gives me another Restoration Angel target.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My first sealed slot ended up being a Golgari ramp deck which breezed through the challenges. It helps that I had some decent black fliers to ramp into and some combat tricks with the green splash. I find it interesting that no one else has reported going black/green in their sealed pool yet. Black seems like such a good color in sealed if you get enough murders/assassinates.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I'm an idiot. The "reset sealed" button I saw was to reset the sealed tips, not the decks you got :/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just had a guy ragequit on me after trying to make an illusion of my Legendary because it didn't kill them. He got mad and got all "Stainless doesn't know the rules" on me.

It was highly ironic.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

Actually surprised by this. I haven't unlocked every card in it but when I tried it out I always felt one post-blocking declaration Path/Unsummon/Murder away from total blowout.

Kanfy posted:

Just had a guy ragequit on me after trying to make an illusion of my Legendary because it didn't kill them. He got mad and got all "Stainless doesn't know the rules" on me.

It was highly ironic.

To be fair, it's not the rule until July. :v:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I'm an idiot. The "reset sealed" button I saw was to reset the sealed tips, not the decks you got :/

On everything except Steam, (Steam too?) though, you get unlimited free slots, don't you?

Certainly on Playstation you do, and I imagine IOS is the same with the way Game Center works.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 28, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Starting hand with Lord of the Unreal, Phantasmal Image, and Chronozoa just feels so dirty.

And then I ripped another Image. My opponent was lucky enough to survive just long enough to see Chronozoa replicate.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Oh god I bought this game, was so excited for sealed, then I went to make a 3rd deck and realized that you can't delete your old decks and you have to buy microtransactions to get more.

Seriously?

If I do the campaign vs AI will it do something to let me get more cards or anything at all to mitigate this? I just wanted to play online!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You can unlock 3 more boosters per deck by playing in the Sealed campaign.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
In a sense I can sort of see why they did it that way; without a limited number of tries you'd have :spergin:'s re-making new decks over and over until they got some super-stompy set of cards, making the mode un-fun for people who don't want to spend hours on end rolling the dice.

I'd just have removed microtransactions and made it three decks, no more.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

To be fair, it's not the rule until July. :v:

Well the thing I read it from said it comes with the Magic 2014 set and this game is literally called Magic 2014 with Magic 2014 set cards so there. :colbert:

Nah, I get that most people don't know about it but it was pretty funny. It's not like he had lost the game either, he just got that upset.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Already finding bugs. :allears:

Digging your opponent's creatures out of their graveyard to control them does not count as controlling their creature for the purposes of trophies or titles or whatever.

Jace's Mindseeker ignores the top card of your opponent's library if it's revealed by Oracle of Mul Daya.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

In a sense I can sort of see why they did it that way; without a limited number of tries you'd have :spergin:'s re-making new decks over and over until they got some super-stompy set of cards, making the mode un-fun for people who don't want to spend hours on end rolling the dice.

Now it's just people with money to spare who get to be overpowered. That is obviously much better. The whole point of sealed for me is building the decks and that being restricted just means I will never play sealed after the first few days.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

Now it's just people with money to spare who get to be overpowered. That is obviously much better. The whole point of sealed for me is building the decks and that being restricted just means I will never play sealed after the first few days.

So what would you suggest? Completely unrestricted would really mean that everyone'd play the exact same decks they looked up online which would completely remove the point. I'm quite certain the majority of people aren't going to pay money until they get an overpowered one anyway. And it being even more restricted clearly isn't what you want either.

No snark meant, I'm just curious.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Wrong Thread

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 28, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

Now it's just people with money to spare who get to be overpowered. That is obviously much better.

Well, yes, it is. It's the difference between literally every deck being mono-Black with 9 Vampire Nighthawk and Distress, and only running into decks like that rarely.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, how are people building the Dimir deck? I've been working on unlocking it, and it is fun as poo poo, but seems to be too slow to deal with everyone and their mother playing AG.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

They could have made it so that you can only reset your decks once a week or something. That would have kept it fresh without powergamers grinding until they get an insane sealed pool. Making it cost money just ruins the whole mode for me. Can't you reset your decks anyway in most versions with some fiddling?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

They could have made it so that you can only reset your decks once a week or something. That would have kept it fresh without powergamers grinding until they get an insane sealed pool. Making it cost money just ruins the whole mode for me. Can't you reset your decks anyway in most versions with some fiddling?

You can get infinite slots by making new profiles on PS3, and deleting them if you don't like the slot. I haven't done this so I'm not sure if it has to be a "real" (ie online-capable) profile every time or not. I have a few profiles for my wife and roommates so I've used those, though.

e: I think a weekly reset would be awesome and the best way to do it, but I think the vast majority of players would hate that.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Andrast posted:

What platform are you on?

On consoles you get an unlimited amount of slots, for free, by just using different accounts.

Bit of a pain, but free slots are free slots.

e:beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
I imagine PC will eventually get a huge double edged sword with regards to modding in Sealed. On the one hand, the possibilities are exciting because I'm sure that your Sealed pool is stored locally, meaning that you could either:

A) Delete your pool and get a new one.
B) Edit your pool to have the closest thing we'll get to regular old deck building (assuming that the game can theoretically handle absolutely any card that's in the base game in some form being in Sealed).
C) Find some flag(s) or other method to allow you to draw more boosters making the limit trivial.

So in a perfect world this is great. What's equally (and maybe even a bit more) likely is that you'll run in to guys who thought it'd be fun to make an entire deck of some abusable card.

Guess we'll find out in time, but Sealed mode seems like it has a lot of potential.

• Locked thread