Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

animeliker posted:

Yeah. YEAH! I'm sure removing the 4-wheel Steering from the 3800 pound Psuedo-GT car will net you big weight and cost savings. With the money leftover you could buy a massively overrated Swedish sedan from 1987.

I don't own one of those cars and I never will. But if I did, that is what I would do, if something possessed me not to sell it to start :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Samu posted:

I found a guy selling a '98 VR6 GTI for $4400 that's in great shape with 90 thousand kilometres on it. Told him I'd make the 4 hour drive and give him 4 grand for it but he says he already agreed on a price with another dude. Hopefully he doesn't show but I'm not holding my breath.

Make sure it's had the timing chain/tensioners replaced.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've never spent more than $1000 on a private vehicle transaction, but tomorrow I'm hoping to look at a 66 Mustang with an asking price of $4200. For something in that range, is it fine to just withdraw $4200 and head over, or should I be looking at some other way of paying for safety?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I use cashier's checks plus cash for negotiating the top, not sure if that gives you any better protection though (its just less conspicuous than cash)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Direct bank transfer, in the bank branch, is the safest way to do it. It's easiest if you both use the same bank.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

I used to like the 4WS setup Honda had on the Prelude in the late 80s, all mechanical, no need to worry about computers or hydraulics

According to the Internet, my car has passive rear steering due to how the bushes are set up. In corners the body roll causes a steering effect on the rear wheels. It also has progressive toe-in under load that increases as suspension height decreases, for stability. I assume a lot of cars do this, but don't really advertise it?

Was the Prelude the same way, or was that an actual active rear steering system?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
edit : ^ Yeah it seems a lot have a similar discrete system, and not a main advertising feature. I had to search for this in my car's wiki page, buried in a paragraph.
"Mazda also introduced Dynamic Tracking Suspension System (DTSS) in the 2nd generation RX-7. The revised independent rear suspension incorporated special toe control hubs which were capable of introducing a limited degree of passive rear steering under cornering loads.The DTSS worked by allowing a slight amount of toe-out under normal driving conditions but induced slight toe-in under heavier cornering loads at around 0.5 G's or more; toe-out in the rear allows for a more responsive rotation of the rear, but toe-in allowed for a more stable rear under heavier cornering."

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've never spent more than $1000 on a private vehicle transaction, but tomorrow I'm hoping to look at a 66 Mustang with an asking price of $4200. For something in that range, is it fine to just withdraw $4200 and head over, or should I be looking at some other way of paying for safety?

If the guy is up to it, no real reason he shouldn't, go to a bank with him.

But like blk said, I generally do cashier's check + cash. If I was buying that mustang, I would withdraw a $3700 cashier's check and $500 in cash.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 28, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3899993503.html

:psyduck:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

if any one calls or text me In Any other maner then to buy the car like talk poo poo about the car or say dumb poo poo and harassing me or posting it on other websites with out my ok to do so or sladering my car will have the cops called on u and tried and sued to the full extent of the law have a good day

Better watch out, dude, the cops are going to be knocking on your door any minute.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I can imagine that call:

"But... But... They made fun of my car! On the Internet!"

"Raucous laughter on other end of the line"

Then a fine for misusing emergency services.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

I use cashier's checks plus cash for negotiating the top, not sure if that gives you any better protection though (its just less conspicuous than cash)

I don't take cashier's checks, only cash. Anyone who's sold more than a few cars won't take any sort of check either.

I'm always happy to go to their bank with them so they can hand me cash and do the final paperwork. Bonus if it's my own bank and we can do an account to account transfer. But anything else is right out, including wire transfer (unless they are willing to wait for cleared funds).

Spend any amount of time in a business that accepts fairly large amounts of money from random people and it won't take you long to see fake cashiers checks, fake wire transfer paperwork, every excuse under the sun why the wire isn't in your account yet (oh, I forgot to use the TT number, sorry I'll resend), fake western union transaction numbers, etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd go with cash for anything under 7-8k maybe up to 10k. As long as you don't keep the stack of cash in your wallet the likelihood of being ripped off doesn't seem too high.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Found this on another site but it's :staredog: enough to repost here.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3897357999.html

quote:

Customized Bentley style Chrysler convertible. Custom kit 28 inch Giovanni Rims lexani tires burberry/swade interior primer exterior 50 inch flat screen on trunk projector under the hood I pad connection 2 12 subs amp Lambo doors lights in each Rims different colors airbags really too much to list please call for more info

:wtc: I also like how under features they mentioned "airbags" but all the rest is too much to list.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I'm pretty sure they mean air ride "bagged up" suspension. :whatup:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I made a $11k car purchase from a private party one time and paid cash. We had met the previous day for the test drive and agreed on price, so the next day I went to the bank and took out the cash, filled out some IRS form, and drove up there with it in a paper bag.

The guy was some hotshot lawyer selling his 16 year old son's E34 M5 because he caught him drinking some MadDog 20/20 in the car at a park up the street. Handed him the bag and he asked if he should wash the cash before touching it :whatup:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know how you people get away with paying with a cashiers check. Those checks are forged all the time. If you are afraid of robbery or doing a deal in gun town, use a bank wire.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

I don't know how you people get away with paying with a cashiers check. Those checks are forged all the time. If you are afraid of robbery or doing a deal in gun town, use a bank wire.

Go to the buyer's bank, have the bank issue a cashiers check on the spot from the buyer's account.

The only way to scam the seller in that situation is if the bank is in on it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Why do people do this? It's a lovely energy drink, why plaster it all over your car? I see it on the back windows of trucks around here, usually accompanied by one of those "FOX" stickers.

Also is that a rattlecan paintjob?

Edit: Oooh and it's got a "swade" interior.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 28, 2013

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Motronic posted:

I don't take cashier's checks, only cash. Anyone who's sold more than a few cars won't take any sort of check either.

Seriously. Cash only. I would never accept any kind of check.
When selling my wife's Corrolla there was a lady trying to buy it and wanted me to schedule an appoint to meet her at a bank. gently caress that, it was $4,500. I am not taking off from work.

Who whinges about $4k in cash?

You know the odds of being robbed while test driving a car? Very low. You know where they live.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why do people do this? It's a lovely energy drink, why plaster it all over your car? I see it on the back windows of trucks around here, usually accompanied by one of those "FOX" stickers.

Because the "M" looks cool, as does the Fox. Same reason I had an "Ultra Hot" sticker on my back window back in 1988 when I was 18. Never surfed in my life.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

When selling my wife's Corrolla there was a lady trying to buy it and wanted me to schedule an appoint to meet her at a bank. gently caress that, it was $4,500. I am not taking off from work.

You know the odds of being robbed while test driving a car? Very low. You know where they live.

I'm not worried about being robbed by this guy, I was wondering if there's a certain point at which you stop hauling around a stack of $100 bills and switch to something else. If I go see it, if that guy ever responds to my email, I'll just stop at the bank first and withdraw the cash.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pham Nuwen posted:

I really, really don't get the Monster thing, but my best guess is that they see Monster, NOS and Red Bull on the energy drink shelf, think "Well, Red Bull has that NASCAR poo poo, and only ricers use NOS, so i'll put a Monster sticker on."

E: I brought cash (5k) to buy the BMW in the middle of Texas; thank god some state trooper didn't feel like pulling over a Chrysler 200 rental with a long haired, bearded dude driving it. (since shorn)

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm not worried about being robbed by this guy, I was wondering if there's a certain point at which you stop hauling around a stack of $100 bills and switch to something else.

I dont' know? Maybe $30K for me.
Take it out and just put it back in if you need too.

Also, have fun with the IRS/DEA/NSA/FBI forms!
I always put "Week long binge with Thai prostitutes" in the "For" field.
Actually, last time my wife put "Robot Penis Repair" which I thought was funnier.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

Carrying anymore than $1000 in cash is a huge gamble. If the stars align and you get pulled over by the cops and they find out about the money, its gone.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Coredump posted:

Carrying anymore than $1000 in cash is a huge gamble. If the stars align and you get pulled over by the cops and they find out about the money, its gone.

Carry big bills and you can just say "I won it betting on the ponies", YMMV as I live in the land of legalized gambling.

Small bills are shady tho.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coredump posted:

Huge gamble? I'm not so sure about that.

Of course, I'm a white guy what dresses reasonably well. I know that shouldn't matter but let's be serious...it does.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not being a well dressed white guy is a huge gamble. I am going to buy a miata tomorrow with $2,600 cash but thankfully I was born with the right mix of skin pigmentation for my location. I won't be well dressed but I will be driving a minivan which is cop proof.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I wonder if anyone has ever bought a car with gold coins or something equally crazy?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrPain posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever bought a car with gold coins or something equally crazy?

I remember at least one that showed up in this thread in the last few months that said they'd accept gold coins as payment. I believe it was also supposed to be emp proof or some kind of prepper poo poo like that.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Motronic posted:

I remember at least one that showed up in this thread in the last few months that said they'd accept gold coins as payment. I believe it was also supposed to be emp proof or some kind of prepper poo poo like that.

No joke, I have one prepper customer and he really is the greatest. Always pays cash, and brings his LAW ENFORCEMENT SPEC truck to the shop every 3 months for an inspection and wants to fix every little minor nagging stupid thing. I stopped trying to talk him out of this madness months ago. He is very insistent, and I feel like if I don't take his money then somebody else would.

I don't have the heart to tell him if/when the apocalypse comes I won't be open for business and he should really learn to do his own maintenance... :smith:

He's cool though, always brings beer. :cheers:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrPain posted:

I don't have the heart to tell him if/when the apocalypse comes I won't be open for business and he should really learn to do his own maintenance... :smith:

There's a certain disconnect with those type of people. I think it's like a lot of other things: it gives them something to thing about other than what's really bothering them in life, an excuse to do things they want to do, and a small community of people to call friends so they can all feel superior together.

Hey, I've been through enough real life poo poo that I have a couple weeks of food on hand (nearby floods that gently caress up infrastructure....so many loving floods) and keep enough fuel to run a generator for as long as it will take me to eat what's in the fridge and freezer and be able to run the well pump for that long, but I'm not sure where going past that gets me.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Motronic posted:

I think it's like a lot of other things: it gives them something to thing about other than what's really bothering them in life, an excuse to do things they want to do, and a small community of people to call friends so they can all feel superior together.

The same could be said for most of us in AI.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Coredump posted:

Since when is carrying large sums of money on you a crime? Why are you letting the cops search your vehicle in the first place?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Rontalvos posted:

Since when is carrying large sums of money on you a crime? Why are you letting the cops search your vehicle in the first place?

hahahahahahahaha, letting a cop search your vehicle? If a cop wants to search your car, they are searching your car period. While carrying large amounts of cash is not a crime, it usually points to illegal goings on, such as drug dealing, and that is enough "probable cause" for them to take it into evidence. Also, when cops take something "for evidence", its theirs. Even if all of the charges get thrown out in court, good luck getting anything back from them.

Also, anything over $10k has to have paper work for the IRS I believe.

America's criminal justice system is fun.....

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Rontalvos posted:

Suspected drug dealing.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Negromancer posted:

hahahahahahahaha, letting a cop search your vehicle? If a cop wants to search your car, they are searching your car period. While carrying large amounts of cash is not a crime, it usually points to illegal goings on, such as drug dealing, and that is enough "probable cause" for them to take it into evidence. Also, when cops take something "for evidence", its theirs. Even if all of the charges get thrown out in court, good luck getting anything back from them.

Also, anything over $10k has to have paper work for the IRS I believe.

America's criminal justice system is fun.....

I guess the better question is what are you doing that makes the cops eager to search your vehicle in the first place? Do you look like a dirty hippie or a drug dealer? Is the cash strewn about the cabin?

There's a video series about knowing your rights when interacting with the police that I highly recommend. Helpful tips like if you get out of your vehicle, close and lock the door behind you to demonstrate you don't consent to a search, etc. This attitude that the cops can just do whatever they want with no consequences is one of the biggest things wrong with the country these days,

Anyway for content, what looks like the most fun way to die:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3886618574.html

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
E: cell phone double post

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 29, 2013

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Rontalvos posted:

I guess the better question is what are you doing that makes the cops eager to search your vehicle in the first place? Do you look like a dirty hippie or a drug dealer? Is the cash strewn about the cabin?

There's a video series about knowing your rights when interacting with the police that I highly recommend. Helpful tips like if you get out of your vehicle, close and lock the door behind you to demonstrate you don't consent to a search, etc. This attitude that the cops can just do whatever they want with no consequences is one of the biggest things wrong with the country these days,

Police unlawfully search people regularly and no youtube video will help you if they want to look in your car. Short of sorting it out in court. I used to get pulled over and searched pretty regularly because I'm in my early 20s and I have long hair. I also get pulled over for suspected DUI a lot (I just happen to drive at 2 to 3am a lot) which is really fun because I don't drink and I know how to make them have to jump through all the hoops to blood test me when I know I'm 0.0 bac.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jealous Cow posted:

Go to the buyer's bank, have the bank issue a cashiers check on the spot from the buyer's account.

The only way to scam the seller in that situation is if the bank is in on it.

Is there still time required for the check to clear?

In that case, they just take all the money out of their account before that happens, and depending on if their account allows overdrafts, you might still be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

Is there still time required for the check to clear?

In that case, they just take all the money out of their account before that happens, and depending on if their account allows overdrafts, you might still be hosed.

Cashier's checks don't work that way. The check is drawn on the bank's account, not the individual. The person purchasing the cashier's check must provide all the funds up front using either cash or a balance transfer from their account at that bank.