Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odobenidae posted:

Using skirmish mode in R:TW ends up like this:

-Unit fires first volley
-Unit fires second volley
-Unit realizes that it took too long and starts to run away
-Entire unit engages due to a single straggler being brushed by a passing enemy
-Unit stops to defend themselves and float towards the enemy despite me pounding my mouse into the desk trying to get them to safety
-You now have half of a skirmisher unit

That kind of makes me think it's realistic. I just imagine a bunch of 18 year old Velites thinking they're hot poo poo and that they can totally throw "that last decisive javelin" against the light cavalry that's coming their way and suddenly realizing they're hosed.

The secondary line of legionaries that throw their Pilum at the necks of the line in front of them can gently caress right off though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Odobenidae posted:

-Entire unit engages due to a single straggler being brushed by a passing enemy

This is true for pretty much every unit in TW games. If 1 guy gets caught the entire unit will slow down. It's how I kill a lot of retreating general units.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Enable guard mode and they'll leave their buddies behind.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Vargs posted:

I've never trusted skirmish mode in any TW game. The AI seems really unreliable at retreating when it needs to.

Skirmish mode works fine if your archers are stationed on a wall and you want them to fall back and move melee up into their place as the enemy begins to scale ladders. I don't know that I've ever used it otherwise.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
When I first started playing Shogun 2 online, which was right after release, I found skirmish actually pretty useful for both retreating your bow infantry once your enemy started to commit and also to harass his line with bow cav without getting caught. That was a long time ago though, I have no idea if the game plays like that anymore, especially with FOTS units and such.

It wasn't always perfect, but it was reliable enough.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Come to think of it that's the only scenario where I've actually used skirmish mode, to retreat archers to the back of a line of infantry who are standing immediately behind them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I use skirmish mode on cavalry archer dudes to sort of let them do their thing automatically. I tell them "run right next to those bad guys" and they try to but then run away, and then they run right back. They are also shooting the whole time. It's a nice way to "macromanage" your missile cavalry.

I do this in M2TW, by the way. I've never played with missile cav in any of the other games.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It works well for cavalry since they can shoot while moving. If the foot skirmishers could do that too, it would work pretty great as well. The real issue is that animation where they ready their weapons and throw/shoot them. Obviously dudes running could not throw a javelins behind themselves, but it would be more realistic then the current way it works.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
Is there any reason why armstrong guns are practically laser accurate? Literally every game that I am against them, they have killed at least half a unit before I even give orders, and usually rout/devastate at least two more before the armies even meet. I mean my dudes are going in the fight at 60% strength and shaken morale because the guns just killed my sniped my general. How is a unit even balanced if the only thing that can counter/deal with it is another of the same unit? I mean, artillery hard counters cavalry from what I have seen. Cavalry can't even get halfway across a map by the time its dead/routed. Its not even like I have artillery available to strike back because of the straight up :downs: avatar mode. (half the problem is that the maps were designed by someone with downs I think, they favor one side a ridiculous amount (giving one side terrain advantage and easy access to combos like shrine/farm that are incontestable because of how far away they are.)

I guess just wanted to play straight up 1v1 multiplayer battles and all I got was frustration from a horribly broken-unbalanced system where gimmick armies are top tier, and units get leveled up to the point of complete retard-ville. I really wish someone would have warned me that the multiplayer was such a horrible mess. Don't even get me started on the naval battles, they are literally the most unfun I have ever had in any of the total war games (Empire's naval battles were better, at least it wasn't always one unit that had more range than everyone else and was able to blow ships up in a couple of hits).
At least the single player mode was good because the AI doesn't know how to abuse all the broken units.

twig1919 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 28, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

:siren::siren::torgue:DEALS SON!:torgue::siren::siren:

%25 off the PREORDER for Rome II on Greenmangaming (steam code) this weekend! (also civ 5 brave new world)

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/06/are-you-keane-for-new-code.html

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

brocretin posted:

%25 off the PREORDER for Rome II on Greenmangaming (steam code) this weekend! (also civ 5 brave new world)

Argh. This is why I should wait to pre-order things.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

brocretin posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

twig1919 posted:

Is there any reason why armstrong guns are practically laser accurate? Literally every game that I am against them, they have killed at least half a unit before I even give orders, and usually rout/devastate at least two more before the armies even meet. I mean my dudes are going in the fight at 60% strength and shaken morale because the guns just killed my sniped my general. How is a unit even balanced if the only thing that can counter/deal with it is another of the same unit? I mean, artillery hard counters cavalry from what I have seen. Cavalry can't even get halfway across a map by the time its dead/routed. Its not even like I have artillery available to strike back because of the straight up :downs: avatar mode. (half the problem is that the maps were designed by someone with downs I think, they favor one side a ridiculous amount (giving one side terrain advantage and easy access to combos like shrine/farm that are incontestable because of how far away they are.)

I guess just wanted to play straight up 1v1 multiplayer battles and all I got was frustration from a horribly broken-unbalanced system where gimmick armies are top tier, and units get leveled up to the point of complete retard-ville. I really wish someone would have warned me that the multiplayer was such a horrible mess. Don't even get me started on the naval battles, they are literally the most unfun I have ever had in any of the total war games (Empire's naval battles were better, at least it wasn't always one unit that had more range than everyone else and was able to blow ships up in a couple of hits).
At least the single player mode was good because the AI doesn't know how to abuse all the broken units.

The avatar system was fun when the game was first released and everyone was leveling up together and trying new things.

But yeah once the game has been out for a while it's pretty loving awful and just deters new players.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 28, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

twig1919 posted:

This is the sad part. There's nothing quite like it in the market, but the MP is just stupid silly. Hell, playing against a friend, I get a random hat and he gets the loving Clausewitz's Book retainer. Next game, he gets Wax Cartridges. :suicide:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Official update on Rome 2 was posted with some screens. The big, gimmicky panorama screens are pretty :coal:. A lot of attention to detail on the artwork that I noticed on the painted ships and elephant barding.

But the big update is Rome 2 recommended system requirements :pcgaming:

quote:

Here we have the minimum and recommended specifications for Total War: ROME II. Please make sure your PC meets the requirements before purchase and if you have any questions, be sure to head on over to the official forums.

Minimum:
Processor:2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor
Memory: 2GB RAM
Graphics:512 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible card (shader model 3, vertex texture fetch support).
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive: 35 GB HD space
Screen Resolution: 1024x768

Recommended:
Processor:2nd Generation Intel Core i5 processor (or greater)
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics:1024 MB DirectX 11 compatible graphics card.
DirectX®:11
Hard Drive:35 GB HD space
Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Boy, they're tooting the Intel horn hard with the co-branding. And that's a whole lot of assets to fill up 35 GB. (Steam tells me my Shogun 2 install takes up 23 GB)

Why they're even supporting an OS that will be 12 years old at the time of release (XP) is beyond me.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

brocretin posted:

Quick question before I hit this like an asteroid - will this still unlock the TF2 items? I play pyro every now and again, and I was going to exclusively run around in the armor after preordering.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Arujei posted:

Quick question before I hit this like an asteroid - will this still unlock the TF2 items? I play pyro every now and again, and I was going to exclusively run around in the armor after preordering.

Only preorders on Steam get TF2 items.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Why they're even supporting an OS that will be 12 years old at the time of release (XP) is beyond me.

Don't know, but I'm pretty glad. Didn't expect XP compatibility but now I'll be able to play R2 on release instead of five or six years from now.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Only preorders on Steam get TF2 items.
Cool. TF2 items are not worth 15 bucks!

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

35gb is insane. Knew I should have bought a bigger SSD.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Space Pussy posted:

35gb is insane. Knew I should have bought a bigger SSD.

:smith::respek::smith:

I have a 250gb SSD. With formatting, page files, Windows 8 (~20gb), Battlefield 3 (34gb), and a handful of other games it's pretty close to full these days.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grabbed that deal happily, but only just found out they don't give out a product key for the game till it has actually released.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Those panorama shots are sweet but they are cheating big time on the unit count. I know originally they said Rome 2 would support 40 units per side but didn't they recently walk that back to the standard 20?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Grabbed that deal happily, but only just found out they don't give out a product key for the game till it has actually released.
Yeah, found that too, and now I'm wondering if I'll have to buy the Greek dlc on release too. Probably won't be too much. Hopefully :v:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You should get all preorder bonuses except for TF2 items.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
That panorama made by browser freeze just trying to load it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Captain Beans posted:

Those panorama shots are sweet but they are cheating big time on the unit count. I know originally they said Rome 2 would support 40 units per side but didn't they recently walk that back to the standard 20?

20 units per army, but you can control two armies in a battle (against presumably a max of 2 AI armies) so 40 units.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I may be misremembering this, but doesn't Steam require double the amount of free space for pre-loads because of the decrypting part?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vodos posted:

I may be misremembering this, but doesn't Steam require double the amount of free space for pre-loads because of the decrypting part?

Napoleon was around 20 gigs all together, so it doesn't seem that farfetched.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

20 units per army, but you can control two armies in a battle (against presumably a max of 2 AI armies) so 40 units.

Have they said anything about control scheme changes? 16 v 16 is already a fucker for me, I'm too stressed out microing things to enjoy myself. Are there plans to bring things back under control?

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
They're bringing in that bird's eye view function for battle maps. It'll let you zoom out in to an overhead view of your battlefield and get a fairly decent overview of what's happening where. Other than that, I don't think they've made much noise about other changes I think.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vodos posted:

Oh I definitely remember times when Shogun 2 was downloading a tiny patch of maybe 10MB only I didn't have enough for space so it just ate up my hard drive trying to make a copy of the game's folder, patch it, then delete itself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sober posted:

Oh I definitely remember times when Shogun 2 was downloading a tiny patch of maybe 10MB only I didn't have enough for space so it just ate up my hard drive trying to make a copy of the game's folder, patch it, then delete itself.

If you don't have 10MB free then you really need to clean up your drat hard drive. You should never be below 10GB free unless you're on some ancient machine with no capacity. But I guess if you were on an ancient machine you wouldn't be playing Shogun 2.

What I'm saying is clean up your drat hard drive.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Chomp8645 posted:

If you don't have 10MB free then you really need to clean up your drat hard drive. You should never be below 10GB free unless you're on some ancient machine with no capacity. But I guess if you were on an ancient machine you wouldn't be playing Shogun 2.

What I'm saying is clean up your drat hard drive.

You misunderstand. Steam's patching system duplicates the affected files until it applies the update fully, and when games like Shogun 2 use compressed pack files it results in the game's installation folder doubling in size for all but the smallest and least extensive of patches.

The worst for this has been The Secret World, for me. 40 gig install suddenly needs 80 gig when a patch starts downloading.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Haha, ok I didn't know that. That sounds kind of ridiculous but I'm no programmer so my opinion on the matter is worth nothing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

trashcangammy posted:

Have they said anything about control scheme changes? 16 v 16 is already a fucker for me, I'm too stressed out microing things to enjoy myself. Are there plans to bring things back under control?

You know you can pause and issue orders right?

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Chomp8645 posted:

Haha, ok I didn't know that. That sounds kind of ridiculous but I'm no programmer so my opinion on the matter is worth nothing.

Yeah, the real solution would be to separate the game into more Packs, but that is the devs problem and not a steam problem, quite frankly.

Captain Beans posted:

The problem I have is that Shogun is really bad with unit selection. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks/drags to select a unit, and sometimes a unit gets deselected and an old one gets reselected, or the sound for selection plays but the unit doesn't get selected. Next thing you know everything got hosed up/ your units are all out of position. Imo, pausing is unfun since it breaks the flow of the game. It would be nice to see units respond to orders faster/control their pathing more, but CA has always put fancy toys over a more polished experience.

twig1919 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 30, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

twig1919 posted:

Yeah, the real solution would be to separate the game into more Packs, but that is the devs problem and not a steam problem, quite frankly.

The problem I have is that Shogun is really bad with unit selection. Sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks/drags to select a unit, and sometimes a unit gets deselected and an old one gets reselected, or the sound for selection plays but the unit doesn't get selected.

FYI this could be your computer's performance. Shogun 2 suffers interface lag/unresponsiveness if the system is overtaxed. I experienced the same problems in a lot of multiplayer games (to my immense frustration) before realizing that my setting were to high for my machine. One I lowered them I never had those problems.

Then I got a new machine and starting playing the game maxed out :pcgaming:

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

brocretin posted:

Thanks for that. Preordered 2 copies (one for my co-op buddy too).

I'm really looking forward to Rome 2. Never played the first one, but I absolutely loved Shogun 2 co-op campaign. Their implementation of co-op was pretty spot-on. Independant allies on the strategic map, but freely-splittable units during combat. Was really appreciated; not enough strategy games do co-op right.

I'm building a new PC this August in anticipation for this. Larger shogun2 battles made my PC crawl, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Yeah, I prefer not to do it too much though, since like the other guy said, it breaks the flow of the game up and feels cheesy.