Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ah the Airtruk. They remind me of something out of Crimson Skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

Crimson Skies.

Now this is a game in need of a re-release.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Ah the Airtruk. They remind me of something out of Crimson Skies.

Lets be honest, all Ag planes tend to look awkward.

Example:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

SybilVimes posted:

Lets be honest, all Ag planes tend to look awkward.

Example:

Does anyone know why they all look like that? Is there a single manufacturer of most agricultural planes, or is the narrow cockpit just to allow the shortest total width of the aircraft while retaining as much wingspan as possible?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dayman posted:

Does anyone know why they all look like that? Is there a single manufacturer of most agricultural planes, or is the narrow cockpit just to allow the shortest total width of the aircraft while retaining as much wingspan as possible?

I think extremely high cockpit visibility in all directions is pretty important when dicking around just off the deck. That's my guess, anyway.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Tubesock posted:

I just came across the goofiest looking plane I've ever seen. It's a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk. Apparently it was designed for crop dusting or whatever but drat is it ugly. It looks like it came out of a cartoon. http://youtu.be/v-asgD0s5Ss

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dayman posted:

The entire fuselage is a tank of liquid. Weight/CG wise, the cockpit is a total tack on afterthought and the planes generally look 'right' if you pretend the cockpit isnt there.

Also yeah, visibility is pretty important when you're splitting telephone poles.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, I read ages ago that they want to design the thing so that if you do plow into a hill or a telephone pole or a gasoline tanker truck right next to Jimmy Stewart (or was it Cary Grant?) you want the cockpit to be the last thing that hits. Not sure if that's ever been the key factor, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Also, no discussion of crop dusters is complete without the PZL-Mielec M-15 Belphegor. (Not my photo.)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That plane looks fun to fly if it had a new engine.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, I read ages ago that they want to design the thing so that if you do plow into a hill or a telephone pole or a gasoline tanker truck right next to Jimmy Stewart (or was it Cary Grant?) you want the cockpit to be the last thing that hits. Not sure if that's ever been the key factor, though.

Cary Grant.

E: That...thing is pretty much the penultimate expression of Soviet engineering.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

rscott posted:

Cary Grant.

E: That...thing is pretty much the penultimate expression of Soviet engineering.

What's the first expression of Soviet engineering then?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

The revolution of course :ussr:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
That thing is a bit less weird if you consider the fact that turbines run on pretty much anything without twigs in it. A lot of anything, but nontheless, they are far less picky of the type of fuel you feed them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

front wing flexing posted:

A shoebox that kills Germans

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Mzuri posted:

In the book Chickenhawk, the author tells of military heli flight school in the early sixties. He makes it sound like the instructors cut power completely at least once every flight in the most inopportune moments imaginable, to practice autos. I don't know if it's still that way.

If you're in any way interested in helicopters, it's a good read.

Quick side note: If you haven't read Chickenhawk, get ye to the bookstore and grab a copy. Fascinating book. The M-79 story is both hilarious and terrifying.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Tsuru posted:

That thing is a bit less weird if you consider the fact that turbines run on pretty much anything without twigs in it.

The same thing also applies to turboprops, which make a heck of a lot more sense for an agricultural aircraft than a turbofan would. I know the USSR produced small turboprop engines, so I'd love to know why they decided that slapping a turbofan on a biplane made more sense.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, no discussion of crop dusters is complete without the PZL-Mielec M-15 Belphegor. (Not my photo.)

The more pictures of that thing you look at, the crazier it gets.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

StandardVC10 posted:

http://polishsoccer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348622

This link has a couple interesting theories about the M-15 from folks at the Museum of Polish Aviation. I had heard the chemical weapons theory before, back in the '80's.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

PhotoKirk posted:

Quick side note: If you haven't read Chickenhawk, get ye to the bookstore and grab a copy. Fascinating book. The M-79 story is both hilarious and terrifying.

Chuck Carlock's Firebirds is almost as good as Chickenhawk...it's a fair amount more disjointed (it's really a long series of vignettes strung together in rough chronological order) but the writing and stories are just as good. Well worth reading if you get a chance...just about the same amount of :wtf: and :wtc: moments as well as plenty of hilarity. I think my favorite is the story about him seeing the case of beer with rubber nipples on the top of the bottles, thinking it was just some weird Vietnamese thing, and popping the top of one and taking a big swig...only to discover it was nước mắm.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
The best part about operating in an aircraft nearly as old as you are: playing plug-the-leak.

Rain, water from washing, snow melt, and ECS condensate will pour in through various orifices, panel gaps, and even power outlets (!). Using an ordinary towel, plug the leak before either you or your patient get soaked. This is a team sport, toss the towel to your partner as the aircraft flares for landing so he can catch water running in aft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Polymerized Cum posted:

The best part about operating in an aircraft nearly as old as you are: playing plug-the-leak.

Rain, water from washing, snow melt, and ECS condensate will pour in through various orifices, panel gaps, and even power outlets (!). Using an ordinary towel, plug the leak before either you or your patient get soaked. This is a team sport, toss the towel to your partner as the aircraft flares for landing so he can catch water running in aft.

At least you dont have lavs. That game is less fun when you add blu-water (Fresh and Soiled!) to the mix of unpleasantness.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Polymerized Cum posted:

Is that the BK117? STARS (Alberta'sWestern Canada's air ambulance) flies a bunch of them. They are beautiful 'copters regardless.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Crosspost from the Aviation A/T thread.

Took some pictures at the TFP fly in (near Corpus Christi, TX) yesterday. I was disappointed with the turnout, we had WAY more airplanes last year. I don't know if it was the heat or a lack of marketing or what. Fly ins seem to be poorly advertised as it is. It seems like if I don't hear about it from a friend, I won't be able to find information on it. This one actually was on the FBO's calendar, but I guess word didn't get out as much.

Anyway, here they are

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

At least you dont have lavs. That game is less fun when you add blu-water (Fresh and Soiled!) to the mix of unpleasantness.

Ah yes, the ol' blue stew. I especially love that stuff when it's dribbling out of the belly drains...you just *know* it's going to be a very, very bad day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Acid Reflux posted:

Ah yes, the ol' blue stew. I especially love that stuff when it's dribbling out of the belly drains...you just *know* it's going to be a very, very bad day.

My favorite is dribbling out of the forward E&E hatch. Or the center E&E hatch. The second one is doubly fun, because our aircraft only had a forward lav. :iiam:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Is that the BK117? STARS (Alberta'sWestern Canada's air ambulance) flies a bunch of them. They are beautiful 'copters regardless.

Yeah BK-117-B2. Tough as nails. Tons and tons of powers. Just not exactly the most finely polished.

I love the little nuances, like the "BK bounce" right at about 40 knots on final. In the older aircraft, it will occasionally make stuff fall out of the cabinets :xd:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Not a crazy as the polish jet machine, but I always thought that these things were pretty good looking for ag planes.

Pacific Aerospace Fletcher FU-24

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Super-Air/Pacific-Aerospace-Fletcher/1658743/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pacific-Aerospace-Fletcher/2168685/L/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu24_Fletcher

I still see them flying around, I don't know if they still use them for fertiliser spreading.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I thought the PZL M-15 was actually the legitimate worst aircraft in history. As in a) it was so bad even the soviets thought it handled too poorly for safety, b) even the soviets thought it was too inefficient fuel-wise, c) it was slower than the piston aircraft it replaced, and was one of the loudest aircraft of its size, and d) unlike those rubbish pre-ww1 death traps, it was built in an era where the designers had the advantages of science, technology and experience, and really should have known better.

e: it was the worlds only ag jet, worlds slowest jet, worlds only jet biplane. There is a reason no-one else even tried.

The PL-12 on the other hand, was loving gold. And :australia:. It only suffered from being the 2nd ugliest aircraft in history. Functionally it was one of the bet ag aircraft every built. It has twin booms with a short, tall, chemical tank designed so that a truck can back right up to the CG of the aircraft and dump directly (and very quickly), the tanks were removable and you could have a sprayer unit, seeder unit, fertilizer unit, cargo unit, ambulance unit or a 5 seat passenger unit swapped in or out. The only reason they didn't sell more was because the brochure had a photo of the thing in it. And there is no way I would ever get in the 5 seat unit.

My vote for the ugliest aircraft in history goes to the PL-12 progenitor, the Bennett Airtruck, brought to you by the good folks of :nz:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reading up on the M-15 it looks like they hacked an AN-2 to bits and redesigned it into that? The AN-2 is in all ways better!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Started a new aerospace job yesterday and got introduced to ITAR on my first day. My initial reaction is a) dear god how on earth do you get any work done whilst skirting around all its insane restrictions and b) oh god I'm going to be extradited for accidentally mentioning something in passing and be thrown in prison for the rest of time. :staredog:

I've worked in F1 so I'm used to paranoia r.e. espionage, but this is a whole 'nother level of crazy, it's like the cold war never ended. Do you just get used to it or what?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

Started a new aerospace job yesterday and got introduced to ITAR on my first day. My initial reaction is a) dear god how on earth do you get any work done whilst skirting around all its insane restrictions and b) oh god I'm going to be extradited for accidentally mentioning something in passing and be thrown in prison for the rest of time. :staredog:

I've worked in F1 so I'm used to paranoia r.e. espionage, but this is a whole 'nother level of crazy, it's like the cold war never ended. Do you just get used to it or what?

It's funny you post this because for every one of you there are 10 grad students/professors somewhere that are constantly streaming/leaking data all over the place.

An old job of mine had severe ITAR stuff (missiles), current one doesn't have much, new one will have a bunch again I think. :smith:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

jammyozzy posted:

I have done some work with ITAR stuff, only with vehicle systems. It is not that bad, there was some over classification in the past and recently that was changed. For example they used to consider the whole vehicle ITAR, but it has changed for some vehicles where they only consider the parts of armor, weapon mounts, etc. as ITAR now, not the whole vehicle.

You don't have to worry to much, unless you are dealing with foreign nationals a lot :tinfoil:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

I have a family member who has spent a long time dealing with ITAR (as it applies to spacecraft), and they've just learned to deal with the stupidity. In one case, a foreign grad student did a lot of work on developing a scientific instrument, but was banned from seeing any data generated by said instrument because of ITAR.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Welp, looks like both the Me-262 and the Mosquito are scratched from Thunder Over Michigan. The A-4 will be neat, but I'm having a hard time getting wildly excited about skyraiders.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

Welp, looks like both the Me-262 and the Mosquito are scratched from Thunder Over Michigan. The A-4 will be neat, but I'm having a hard time getting wildly excited about skyraiders.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list

Are those all going to be flying? Sucks about the cancellations but I'd love to see an F-100 or A-4 demo. It's a shame that (for obvious reasons) they don't really thrash on these older airplanes. I'd love to see an A-4 doing some high-g turns and showing off the 700deg/second roll rate. :q:

I was like a kid on Christmas when I got to see a Phantom demo a few years ago, even though it was mostly just flat passes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arg, that made me check the Geneseo NY aircraft lineup: the Mosquito has apparently been sold & now there's some question as to whether or not it will be there - depends on the new owner.

The Lancaster is still supposed to be coming, though.

drat, a 262 would be epic.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Is this real, what engine is this, and why didn't they go this route?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's a JT-9.

TF39/CF6s were tested on B-52s as well, but only as a testbed for the engine. It wasn't a compatibility test for the B-52 itself.

There's lots of reasons why, but that engine specifically won't fit under the wings on the outboard pylon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Boeing wanted to put 4 Rolls RB211's on it, which never happened because Congress is real real dumb. In reality, since B-52s are going to be flying until the end of time, it would have saved them an absolutely absurd amount of money.

Here's a fantasy B-52 with the RB211's.