Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
62mm might be a little big, but they're Earthwangs and they also come in 57mm (up to 87a)
http://earthwingskates.com/products/earthwing-wheels.html#!/~/product/category=2171080&id=9127626

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
sick nasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmkfdA26Ws

But no for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imCNj-OzvKQ

youtube commenter posted:

He rips but gently caress HD cameras...

what the

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 21, 2013

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
that frontside half cab at a couple minutes in is absurdly stylish

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That blunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1a_1-YegVk

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have a lot of freetime at work so I've been watching the weird nascar-ish structure they have for street contests these days. I don't know much about skateboarding (I did a pop shove it once), but it seems like Huston gets all kinds of favoritism with the judges. He's really smooth but it seems like he's always given an extra .3 or so just for being him. Am I an idiot (I assume I am) or is League just kinda a crappy format?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Heh reminds me of that clip from the gator documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHFIbN2PByQ

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I have a lot of freetime at work so I've been watching the weird nascar-ish structure they have for street contests these days. I don't know much about skateboarding (I did a pop shove it once), but it seems like Huston gets all kinds of favoritism with the judges. He's really smooth but it seems like he's always given an extra .3 or so just for being him. Am I an idiot (I assume I am) or is League just kinda a crappy format?
Nyjah Huston skates purely what I consider "competition" style - he lands everything like a robot and despite doing some really complex tricks, his (surprisingly few) video parts just fall flat. He skates just for points, and it means he can go up against someone with ridiculous style and skill like Chris Cole and win, purely because Cole lands things sloppy/tries weird poo poo and Nyjah looks at everything like a min/max videogame player - if he doesn't think he'll land bolts, board straight forward, he generally won't try a trick. It's technically spot on, it's just really boring for the audience.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lets keep things in perspective here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcXbLKg150

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i'd go with the option he skates a purely "destroying loving everything he skates and is in a league of his own" style. dude's a beast that's it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like watching the street league format but I'd much rather watch the jam session style competition (do they even do this anymore at the xgames for street?). poo poo I'd rather watch battle at the berrics.

I'm sad Ben Raybourn couldn't put together another good run in the xgames park prelims so I could see more of him there. He had too much of a hard on for that roof drop in. Pedro Barros is loving ridiculous, he looks like he was born in an empty pool. Their whole course there is really weird and small.

Edit: Hey look you can watch it on the youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJBJwziYO8

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 3, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That last attempt on the rooftop from him was awesome. I want to see the other guys try to ride it in the finals. Thanks for the link!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've been saving the finals to watch tomorrow even though I'm pretty sure I was spoiled on the results. I forget who it was now, but whoever that guy is who keeps doing the (probably wrong here) wallplant/disaster that the announcers mention is dangerous as gently caress has giant balls.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

ben raybourn's skating makes me fear for his safety :ohdear:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like watching the street league format but I'd much rather watch the jam session style competition (do they even do this anymore at the xgames for street?). poo poo I'd rather watch battle at the berrics.

I'm sad Ben Raybourn couldn't put together another good run in the xgames park prelims so I could see more of him there. He had too much of a hard on for that roof drop in. Pedro Barros is loving ridiculous, he looks like he was born in an empty pool. Their whole course there is really weird and small.

Edit: Hey look you can watch it on the youtubes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJBJwziYO8

I watched the finals on the TV and didn't realize Grant and Ben were skating in the prelims, they were my favorite two to watch. Pedro is ridiculous but I prefer to see dudes trying new things with a bit of sketch. Contest skating vs. creative skating I suppose.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Speaking of which...

http://xgames.espn.go.com/events/2013/munich/real/round/1/

Haven't watched them yet but I think I just saw who the winner was and it gave me a biiiig smile.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5xuKCxyDA

Fffffffffffffff

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Speaking of which...

http://xgames.espn.go.com/events/2013/munich/real/round/1/

Haven't watched them yet but I think I just saw who the winner was and it gave me a biiiig smile.

God bless that monster :allears:

His vids are the reason I ditched my cruiser and got back on a real deck and I haven't regretted it a moment since :getin:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Really good Marc Johnson interview up on the (soon to be retired) Chrome Ball Incident. Ty Evans doesn't come across well. Bummer to hear that a full MJ part, especially a 'fun' one, was apparently deleted.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't really keep up with behind the scenes stuff like that normally, and that's a great interview but my main takeaway is: Marc Johnson was a full blown alcoholic during the filming of fully flared? Are you loving kidding me? That is one high functioning motherfucker right there.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This is one of the most recent things I've seen with regards to thinking maybe some of these dudes should wear protection or something???

Jesus Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEhaFA9QQQ&t=155s

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Makes me think of Hsu's B-Sides from Stay Gold.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Don't get blood on your triple howling wolf t-shirt!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i just hope nobody dies because that seems like a logical consequence of all this going super huge stuff

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Any recommendations for a nice cushy setup for cruising around on, preferably something that can be pumped to some extent? Because gently caress jogging.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

maffew buildings posted:

i just hope nobody dies because that seems like a logical consequence of all this going super huge stuff

JT Aultz came close a while back. They put him in a medically induced coma.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Any recommendations for a nice cushy setup for cruising around on, preferably something that can be pumped to some extent? Because gently caress jogging.

Set up a GS (giant slalom) or LDP (long-distance pumping) style board. Want a medium wheelbase, 22-26", 70mm grippy race wheels, narrow trucks with the front wedged, rear dewedged. Narrow Indys, Trackers, or similar are great, with some 70mm Zig Zags (lemon/lime mix, or lime all around). I could tell you exactly what I'd build if I had the money to build a new GS-style cruiser right now: Fullbag Death or Glory GS deck, Trackers/Indys wedged/dewedged, and my lemon Zig Zags front with PPS Cone Crushers in back
I used to have an HS board that was set up completely race ready, but I've never actually run cones. I'd cruise, pump, and bomb smaller hills on it and it was the best thing. Miss that board. I have a different slalom deck now that I don't like nearly as much, but no trucks for it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Really need to find Gou Miyagi's part in Video Nasty! The internet is abuzz over its radness...

If you haven't heard of this guy you should probably watch everything from him and FESN.

On the subject of awesome asians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3k92GSq2k

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Sick! I've soon dudes do one footed fakie rocks, never one footed rock and rolls.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ya'll should check out the latest Street League episode from Portland. If you can put up with the x-gamesy "OMG HE GOT A NIIIIIINE" stuff from the commentators there is some really fantastic competition skating from Ishod Wair, Chris Cole, Shane O'Neil, Paul Rodriguez...basically everyone there EXCEPT Nyjah who bombs out of the flow section.

I haven't looked but I assume it's widely available on youtube since all the other ones are and they stream the replay on xbox live anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I happened to catch it (while at a little Mexican restaurant, of all places) the other day and I loved watching it. It's a fun competition format, in my opinion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I like that they really changed their course up for that stop, and specifically did not include any Hubbas for that big section where they start. Nothing against them I just like seeing them mix it up. I really SLS for the "Best trick" format but I'd rather they kept flow seperate and conducted it jam style like the x-games does for park. I like them both a lot actually.

Has SLS completely replaced street at the X-Games now?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ya'll should check out the latest Street League episode from Portland. If you can put up with the x-gamesy "OMG HE GOT A NIIIIIINE" stuff from the commentators there is some really fantastic competition skating from Ishod Wair, Chris Cole, Shane O'Neil, Paul Rodriguez...basically everyone there EXCEPT Nyjah who bombs out of the flow section.

I haven't looked but I assume it's widely available on youtube since all the other ones are and they stream the replay on xbox live anyway.

Here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meQKiXlWBWY and boy howdy is there some good skating in there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Shane O'Neill is like I might lose the money but I just won the day bitches!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can we get back to Old Man Chat because I just turned 30 and my right ankle is now too weak to even support basic tasks like "Jog to the fridge for a Yoohoo". :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i have to learn to skate transition since carving into 50-50s is a lot less brutal than flip tricks because those make my knees hurt :(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can we get back to Old Man Chat because I just turned 30 and my right ankle is now too weak to even support basic tasks like "Jog to the fridge for a Yoohoo". :(

I'm in my 40's, and it takes about 35 minutes for my knees to warm up enough to be able to ollie w/o pain. Then I get about 30 minutes of "real" skating time before my knees hurt so bad I have to stop. :corsair:

Also, when did decks stop all being "slicks" ? That was ll the rage back in the early 90s, but they aren't now? drat KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like that they really changed their course up for that stop, and specifically did not include any Hubbas for that big section where they start. Nothing against them I just like seeing them mix it up. I really SLS for the "Best trick" format but I'd rather they kept flow seperate and conducted it jam style like the x-games does for park. I like them both a lot actually.

I have about a million problems with Street League, but they've definitely improved the competition aspect this year. The varied course designs have really made a huge difference, nearly every stop this year has come down to the last attempts in super exciting fashion. The stop with the longer hubbas and kinked handrail was another really exciting one too.

Also, I'll take Brandon Graham as commentator over Sal Masekela every single time. Huge improvement there. He definitely has room to improve though. I want to kill myself every time they talk about "strategy" and "the ping pong effect". If they can upgrade the color commentator spot (aka Felix) I think that could be a big improvement too. Did you see the prelims? Geoff Rowley came in and sat with the commentators for most of it. That was pretty awesome.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 17, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Lumpy posted:

Here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meQKiXlWBWY and boy howdy is there some good skating in there.

I'm glad to see those guys making money but this is hard to get into.
*/puts on Redbull beanie and joins the Air Force Reserve.
I enjoyed the videos dudes did for street league or whatever though.
Glad to see Guy and David Gravette get some.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

maffew buildings posted:

i have to learn to skate transition since carving into 50-50s is a lot less brutal than flip tricks because those make my knees hurt :(

Now that I am approaching death, I understand why the old farts are always skating bowls and not jumping stair sets. It all makes so much sense now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

enojy posted:

Edit: Actually, you can get a blank complete from CCS for $80.99 with quality parts. Just go to their Skateboard Builder, get a Powell blank deck (complete starts at $69.99), Independent stage 11 trucks that match the width of the deck you chose (adds $11), any wheels that add $0.00 to the price (can't go wrong with Spitfire or Bones), and the free Shorty's hardware package. That's really about as good a deal for quality parts as you'll get anywhere these days. I used to pay more for blank completes 10 years ago.

I'm following this advice above, but need a bit of guidance. I'm 6'2" & 190 lb, looking to do casual riding around and as I get more comfortable go to the skate park nearby and make a fool of myself... What would be an appropriate size board and wheels? searching yielded a lot of personal preference and recommendations from between 7.5" to 8.25" for board width and wheels seem to be 52mm or 54mm depending on the site. Would the Independent stage 11 standard trucks be the best pick? I haven't gone skateboarding in a number of years and cannot remember what I used before as I didn't get into the gear aspect of the hobby.