Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Play sealed against the Suntail Hawk encounter. as long as you have like one reach creature or x/2 flier, you'll win it pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So I opened my first sealed slot and I'm struggling to make something good with it. Any thoughts?

2x War Priest of Thune
1x White Knight
2x Sentinel Sliver
1x Mighty Leap
1x Master of Diversion
1x Griffin Sentinel
2x Safe Passage
1x Day of Judgement
1x Charging Griffin
2x Serra Angel
2x Dawnstrike Paladin
1x Angelic Arbiter

2x Unsummon
1x Void Stalker
1x Fog Bank
1x Turn to Frog
2x Maritime Guard
2x Scroll Thief
3x Trained Condor
1x Divination
1x Phantasmal Dragon
2x Archaeomancer
1x Tricks of the Trade
2x Disorient
1x Djinn of Wishes
1x Belltower Sphinx
2x Harbor Serpent

2x Tormented Soul
2x Ravenous Rats
3x Distress
1x Hypnotic Specter
1x Vampire Nighthawk
3x Giant Scorpion
1x Assassinate
1x Mark of the Vampire
1x Sengir Vampire
1x Rotting Legion
1x Grave Titan

1x Striking Sliver
1x Volcanic Geyser
1x Goblin Shortcutter
1x Goblin Warpaint
1x Regathan Firecat
1x Blur Sliver
1x Slaughter Cry
1x Act of Treason
1x Marauding Maulhorn
1x Tectonic Rift
1x Bonebreaker Giant
1x Turn to Slag

1x Fog
1x Predatory Sliver
2x Advocate of the Beast
1x Brindle Boar
1x Oakenform
2x Acidic Slime
2x Yavimaya Wurm
1x Duskdale Wurm

1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Staff of the Death Magus
1x Staff of the Mind Magus
1x Phyrexian Hulk

I'm not pleased with any of it, really. I tried at first a Blue/Black build, in an attempt to combine Grave Titan and the Trained Condors, but wasn't able to work it into something I was able to beat Liliana with. Anyone better at me than deckbuilding got any suggestions? For all I know this is an amazing pool and I'm just not looking at it the right way.

melon man
Aug 24, 2008

melonman-chan~!
Deck Strength: Average :v:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

... So does sealed ignore normal deck construction rules (specifically, no more than four of a single card), or did you just hack them in there? I'm assuming some manipulation was involved in the first place because there's no way you pulled that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The four-of-a-kind rule is only for Constructed decks - for Limited formats like Sealed you can play anything you open.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Jabor posted:

The four-of-a-kind rule is only for Constructed decks - for Limited formats like Sealed you can play anything you open.

That sounds terrible. I've never liked the idea of sealed play in the first place (can you tell I'm not into non-casual magic?), this just makes it more annoying. I mean obviously nobody's going to pull something like that but it feels like that just makes the whole format even more about luck and less about skill.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Funkmaster General posted:

That sounds terrible. I've never liked the idea of sealed play in the first place (can you tell I'm not into non-casual magic?), this just makes it more annoying. I mean obviously nobody's going to pull something like that but it feels like that just makes the whole format even more about luck and less about skill.

Sealed is about as casual as you can play Magic while still having rules, it's literally just "open a bunch of packs and play with whatever cards you get".

If you're put off by feeling that Sealed is just all luck, I have to wonder why you'd play a game where you draw cards from a deck at random and getting unlucky draws can basically mean you lose.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So I opened my first sealed slot and I'm struggling to make something good with it. Any thoughts?
:words:

So I managed to build something with this that I'm having some mild success with. I'm sure it could be improved.

2x Unsummon
1x Void Stalker
1x Fog Bank
2x Maritime Guard
2x Turn to Frog
3x Trained Condor
1x Divination
1x Tricks of the Trade
2x Disorient

1x Fog
1x Oakenform
2x Acidic Slime
2x Yavimaya Wurm
1x Duskdale Wurm

9x Island
8x Forest

The basic idea is to use the condors to make my beefy green creatures fly over enemies, while using the Acidic Slimes, Fog, and various blue spells to stall the enemy long enough to get said creatures out and flying. I've won a handful of online matches with it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Your white and black creatures at the top of the curve are absolutely busted. Only think missing really is good removal.

2 War Priest of Thune
1 White Knight
1 Griffin Sentinel
1 Master of Diversion
1 Hypnotic Specter
1 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Giant Scorpion
1 Charging Griffin
2 Serra Angel
1 Dawnstrike Paladin
1 Sengir Vampire
1 Grave Titan
1 Angelic Arbiter
--
17 creatures

1 Day of Judgment
1 Mighty Leap
1 Mark of the Vampire
1 Assassinate
1 Safe Passage
--
5 other spells

9 Swamp
8 Plains
1 Terramorphic Expanse
--
18 lands

18 lands because you really want to hit your 5cc slot reliably. Mighty Leap and Safe Passage bring some interactivity and cards you can actually outplay opponent with.

Hypnotic Specter and Vampire Nighthawk are pretty solid early plays (Nighthawk holds up very late), the other early guys and triple Scorpion are there mostly to hold the fort, trade and have some board presence. Once you get to your three 5/5 for 5, Grave Titan an Arbiter at the top of the curve things get fairly ugly.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a cheesy way to get that achievement for mulliganning to 1 card and winning?

The super cheesy way would be to collude in a private match to do it. :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Emron posted:

All y'all talking about how piss easy the challenges are is making me feel really idiotic for being stumped by the second one (with all the equipment).

I found the equipment one to be the second most difficult challenge, for what it's worth. It's not super hard and given your mana pool you'll quickly realize there are only a few possible combinations of things to even play, so it gets easier if you just stop and think. That being said, as a whole the challenges in this game are easier by a long shot.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Lunsku posted:

Your white and black creatures at the top of the curve are absolutely busted. Only think missing really is good removal.

*snip*

Echoing this: it is a really solid deck. Nighthawk is your best value card and those Scorpions fight way out of their weight class. Dropping Grave Titan is basically a removal check: if your opponent doesn't have any, you win.

e: Meanwhile, that feeling when you're playing a sealed deck with significant ramp only to top-deck lands every turn anyway.

Serisothikos fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 29, 2013

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I've played every DotP game, but something about this one on Android has me flubbing tutors a lot. I've probably missed 10 lands on Rampant Growths or Cultivates, I feel like I'm retarded.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
The people who were complaining about the end of the campaign, you weren't wrong. Christ. In a lot of respects this game feels like a step back from 2013.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Just faced (and beat :smug:) a guy with the "viral unlock" avatar, where's that from anyway?

E: Oh hey, I have it unlocked too.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 29, 2013

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Which colour is good against Jace? I'm just trying to beat him so I can get the first extra booster but nothing I try works :cripes:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Can anyone make a good deck out of this bunch of cards?

http://pastebin.com/mPzKn2Xd

It has quite a bit of Slivers but since the cards are everywhere I'm unsure of how I want to go about it. every color has good cards and since I only have one Terramorphic Expanse, it doesn't seem like having more than 3 colors is a good idea.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Just faced (and beat :smug:) a guy with the "viral unlock" avatar, where's that from anyway?

E: Oh hey, I have it unlocked too.

A viral unlock means it unlocks when you face (it may be beat, not sure) someone who has it unlocked.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Which colour is good against Jace? I'm just trying to beat him so I can get the first extra booster but nothing I try works :cripes:

I find White to be pretty good against Jace. Anything fast where a Counterspell/Unsummon doesn't set you back a huge amount works fine.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm trying white/green now but it's just trying to get a good mix between creatures and spells. White/Blue/Green are the only colours where I have enough combined creatures to fill a deck. Red has a lot of spells and 2 creatures and black barely has anything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Umberger posted:

A viral unlock means it unlocks when you face (it may be beat, not sure) someone who has it unlocked.

Figured it might be something like that.

That whole match against him was pretty crazy, we both got pretty much the perfect cards. Every time I removed one guy he got another that was even better, and then I got removal that removed that guy in turn. Sliver after sliver and removal after removal he ultimately almost turned the game around at the very end with a powered-up lifestealing sliver, but then I drew Doom Blade as my last card. :v:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jabor posted:

Sealed is about as casual as you can play Magic while still having rules, it's literally just "open a bunch of packs and play with whatever cards you get".

If you're put off by feeling that Sealed is just all luck, I have to wonder why you'd play a game where you draw cards from a deck at random and getting unlucky draws can basically mean you lose.

Seriously many more serious players hate sealed due to luck and prefer drafting which works towards reducing the luck factor. They release one of these with unlimited free drafting and I will pay a large sum of money for it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Godamn finally got him with a taste of his own drat medicine :colbert:

Also this is the best card art in the game and anyone who says otherwise is a crazy man.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Also this is the best card art in the game and anyone who says otherwise is a crazy man.

Of the new ones, I think Grim Return is pretty great.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Seriously many more serious players hate sealed due to luck and prefer drafting which works towards reducing the luck factor. They release one of these with unlimited free drafting and I will pay a large sum of money for it.
I wouldn't really consider myself a serious player. I do mostly play limited on MTGO, though I often take breaks where I miss sets. I definitely enjoy drafts more than sealed though. Decks in drafts usually end up more interesting, as you can pick cards to aim for a particular archetype. For example, I drafted a lot of innistrad, and normally there you would aim for an archetype like g/w aggro, u/w flyers, u/g/b self-mill, r/b burning vengeance, and so on. There is definite strategy involved in picking your cards from the packs which is absent in sealed. Sealed is less about planning, tough decisions, and archetypes, and more about just playing whatever bombs (if you are lucky), removal, and critters (mostly two/three drops) that you happens to pull.

They'll never release a dotp with unlimited free drafting though. They would be crazy if they did. The goal of the games is to try to get you into playing paper or MTGO. The last thing they want is to have those players satisfied with DotP instead of spending big bucks.

I know DotP always make me want to go back and play more MTGO. Will have to see when their next cube draft is scheduled. Those have been my favorite MTGO games.

sedaps
Jan 29, 2004
Sealed has been fun so far but would love to play with more goons. Was there a steam group created for previous versions?

Someone hit me up!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sp14

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I remember when they were beta testing the new MTGO client and you could do unlimited free RAV-block drafts. That was pretty cool.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Kanfy posted:

Of the new ones, I think Grim Return is pretty great.

I got a white/black deck in sealed right now, is Grim Return playable? The only thing that bugs me is the "this turn" caveat, I feel like I wouldn't get to use it that often, but maybe as an insurance policy for bomb-y late game creatures who get tagged with removal? Dunno.

I feel like the computer doesn't use too much hard removal (in my experience so far), I'm probably way overvaluing things like Tormented Soul + auras/enchants.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I've been putting it to good use in my terrible sealed deck. Its a pretty decent card and cheap enough to be playable. Note that it can take creatures from both graveyards!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

And it combos well off murder/assassinate/doom blade if you're lucky.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Nope, it's this:

Endless Ranks of the Dead is the best artistic effort of Wizards to date.

e: better version

Serisothikos fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 29, 2013

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
PS3 glitch:

I tried to purchase to full game after completing the tutorial. I had to update my billing information via the Accounts Management screen (and thus having to quit the game). Apparently it doesn't save your progression in this instance and I now have to redo the tutorial.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not so much that they are completely without difficulty, but that they aren't as hard as before. Have you seen the challenges in the previous games? Most of them are absolutely insane, and generally involve making very unintuitive plays, and dealing with a very large number of options. In this game, the first half of them are about teaching you basic mechanics, while there are only two challenges in the second half that involve anything other than just making the only play that is available to you.

Also, there must be something that you are missing about the equipment challenge, because as far as I can tell, the only obstacle to beating that one is knowing how equipment works.

So this guilted me into trying again, and when I did I solved every one of them (except the last one) in one try each. You were right, most of them equate to "use removal or pump an unblocked dude." Even the last one wasn't that hard.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

And it combos well off murder/assassinate/doom blade if you're lucky.

READ THE CARDS! ~ me to myself.

I didn't notice it was target creature from *A* graveyard. That definitely changes things.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man, they should call it "Brainslayer Angel," because even the clinically braindead stand a chance with that thing. I just beat a guy who made a billion or so of the worst decisions in the world and having Baneslayer + Mikaeus drat near got him there anyway.

Maybe my build is bad or something but Mind Maze is not performing to expectations right now.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I got a white/black deck in sealed right now, is Grim Return playable?

Against decks that are just plain better, Grim Return gives you a chance to win if you can outplay them, so that's pretty awesome. Every dickbag who opens all the black bomb rares likes to walk right into it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Is the Dimir deck as poo poo as it seems to me, or am I just terrible at the slow, steady, be a complete loving arsehole game?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Man Sealed has me bummed out. I made a B/W deck and realized there was no card I'd ever proactively want to Tutor for and felt sad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

Is the Dimir deck as poo poo as it seems to me, or am I just terrible at the slow, steady, be a complete loving arsehole game?

I'd say it's mostly just you, that deck can be really effective from my experience. Also the most frustrating to play against.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maybe my build is bad or something but Mind Maze is not performing to expectations right now.

It seems really goddamned strong to me. If you can sneak through a Lord + Phantasmal image without answer, you'll have the enemy on the ropes as they now have to find a way to deal with your hexproof lord who makes all illusions hexproof.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Okay, I have a sealed deck with tutor, two runescarred demons, and Rise from the Grave. It's incredible - I play one demon, use its ability to grab the other; the enemy burns their removal on the first demon. I play the second, use its ability to grab RFTG, then revive the other demon and tutor for murder or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Heavy neutrino posted:

It seems really goddamned strong to me. If you can sneak through a Lord + Phantasmal image without answer, you'll have the enemy on the ropes as they now have to find a way to deal with your hexproof lord who makes all illusions hexproof.

At that point it really depends on how quickly you can wipe the board.

• Locked thread