Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Do those paper inner sleeves with the rounded corners piss anyone else off or am I just a clumsy gently caress.

I actually prefer them to the ones with the squared corners- I find them easier to get back into the outer sleeve and they have less paper to bend or crumple.

Maybe you are a clumsy gently caress. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Do those paper inner sleeves with the rounded corners piss anyone else off or am I just a clumsy gently caress.

I DJ every once in a while and they piss me off, especially if they get stuck in the outer sleeve and you just can't pull them out without some dexterity. I've started to replace them with plain, square cardboard sleeves, much better.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I prefer those to the clear plastic-y ones that crumple up unless you insert them with surgical care.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
The worst inner sleeves I've got are actually polylined ones that came with The Dark Knight OST. They aren't snug enough and when you try to put them into the gatefold they just get stuck and crumple. On paper inners I usually prefer the notched corners, with the rounded corners in second place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I replace all paper sleeves with Mobile Fidelity sleeves. You should too.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I actually hate slightly worn ones with label holes, as the far end of the label hole seems to always raise up enough to catch the jacket on the side i'm not looking at. So it seems like it just stops going in for no reason.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I actually prefer them to the ones with the squared corners- I find them easier to get back into the outer sleeve and they have less paper to bend or crumple.

Maybe you are a clumsy gently caress. :)

I'm definitely a clumsy gently caress, but I have the exact opposite problem, getting the disc back into the drat thing is a struggle enough, and then there's putting it back in the jacket...

I like the sleeves my Wire albums (and some others) have, really good quality paper, slides out like there was butter in the jacket.

Ron Burgundy posted:

I actually hate slightly worn ones with label holes, as the far end of the label hole seems to always raise up enough to catch the jacket on the side i'm not looking at. So it seems like it just stops going in for no reason.

This is exactly what I mean. Even new, shrinkwrapped albums seem to have something going on with the god drat sleeves, the label hole's edges catch on everything.

CPL593H posted:

I replace all paper sleeves with Mobile Fidelity sleeves. You should too.

Sounds like a plan.

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 29, 2013

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

I like the sleeves my Wire albums (and some others) have, really good quality paper, slides out like there was butter in the jacket.

I like those Wire (and similar) sleeves too, but the insides of them are so rough-seeming that they worry me. So I put one of those semi-transparent poly inners inside the thick cardboard sleeve and store them like that (after cleaning the records off on the Nitty Gritty machine).

If you're in the USA, Sleeve City is a great place to order sleeves. The best part is that you can get free samples of things. This is very useful if, say, you only need one gigantic box set outer sleeve, or if you want a rounded poly inner to fit more easily into a Wire-esque thick/rough cardboard inner (or inside one of those very old LPs with the smaller jackets). Sleeve City's anti-static "Diskeeper" inners and non-clouding "Ultimate" outers are my bread 'n' butter. They also sell MoFi sleeves, as well as knockoffs that are virtually identical.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 29, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

The paper sleeve always somehow catches on the tiny piece of overlap cardboard where it glues itself together inside the jacket. That drives me nuts. Part of the reason why I haven't plastic outer sleeved my collection is it's just another step to putting stuff away or getting the record out. If I ever do get around to plastic outer sleeving everything, I'll probably start storing the records outside of the jacket.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Those Ultimate outer sleeves are the bee's knees. When I let everyone here know about it they just laughed at how much I paid for them :(

I Might Be Adam posted:

The paper sleeve always somehow catches on the tiny piece of overlap cardboard where it glues itself together inside the jacket. That drives me nuts. Part of the reason why I haven't plastic outer sleeved my collection is it's just another step to putting stuff away or getting the record out. If I ever do get around to plastic outer sleeving everything, I'll probably start storing the records outside of the jacket.

God, I hate this too. The flipback sleeves on old Beatles albums look ungainly but drat if they aren't more convenient to slide a sleeve back into.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

This is the bragging thread now right?

I put on The Music Tapes in my town last week and Julian kindly signed my copy of ITAOTS, hopefully I can catch the rest next year when they go on tour.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Duckula posted:

This is the bragging thread now right?

I put on The Music Tapes in my town last week and Julian kindly signed my copy of ITAOTS, hopefully I can catch the rest next year when they go on tour.

Nice. Is that the repress or the original?

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Better sound. With less music, you can space the grooves out more, and cut them hotter. Also, you can avoid inner-groove distortion. And some of these albums are in a weird place, where they might fit on a single disc, but you'd be cutting things close. Stuff that runs 50 minutes or so, really.

Of course, I have the 20/20 Experience on double vinyl, which is only 2 or 3 songs per sides. But that's just because each of the ten songs averages out to 7 minutes each.

I know this is a bit old, but this exactly. Two that come to mind are Tortoise's TNT, Dirty Three's Ocean Songs, and Oval's O, each of which are split across four sides. None of my other records sound as good, and they're usually split to bin complimentary songs together.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So much gold. Been waiting for Lenny to release this record for over a year now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never knew that putting away a record was such a horrifying ordeal.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
It is when you actually use them.

fakeburn, as I think I remember you being vocal about the whole why buy them if you don't listen to them thing.

e: It is actually a pain in the rear end when you have really poo poo condition ones that just tear every single goddamn time.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

How about them tight paper sleeves that musicians like to call nice quality because they have pretty pictures and lyrics on them?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
- remove record from jacket
- put jacket in poly outer
- place record behind jacket in poly outer

Done, sorted. No re-insertion blues, no ringwear, no expanding seam splits. Especially when dealing with poo poo BR/JA/Afro jackets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

It is when you actually use them.

fakeburn, as I think I remember you being vocal about the whole why buy them if you don't listen to them thing.

e: It is actually a pain in the rear end when you have really poo poo condition ones that just tear every single goddamn time.

Paper sleeves just suck. They tear too often, they create static charge and paper debris. And some of them are just generally abrasive. Paper sleeves can suck it.

WASDF posted:

How about them tight paper sleeves that musicians like to call nice quality because they have pretty pictures and lyrics on them?

These are the absolute worst. It's really difficult to get the record in and out of these without scuffing it. These things pretty much take all the problems of paper sleeves and make it ten times worse.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 29, 2013

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I bought a new 45 flight case to take to a dj thing last week, I didn't realize the thing was like the nuclear football. Weighs a ton when full of 45s. Did make me more comfortable carting around a bunch of my 45s, though.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

- remove record from jacket
- put jacket in poly outer
- place record behind jacket in poly outer

Done, sorted. No re-insertion blues, no ringwear, no expanding seam splits. Especially when dealing with poo poo BR/JA/Afro jackets.

But legitimately, who cares about ring wear this much? It's so lame to do that. Turns buying an album into a scientific process.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

But legitimately, who cares about ring wear this much?

People that own good records.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

People that own good records.

I can't see that being true, to be honest.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

WASDF posted:

I can't see that being true, to be honest.

You don't recognize that there are a poo poo load of collectors who own records whose importance or rarity approach minor cultural artifact status and the care and future condition of them are serious considerations? And the described 'scientific process' consists of simply putting a record behind the jacket inside a plastic bag?

Because, again

JehovahsWetness posted:

Seriously, you guys say some of the dumbest poo poo sometimes.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

JehovahsWetness posted:

You don't recognize that there are a poo poo load of collectors who own records whose importance or rarity approach minor cultural artifact status and the care and future condition of them are serious considerations? And the described 'scientific process' consists of simply putting a record behind the jacket inside a plastic bag?

Because, again

I dunno, I just care more about the music than the ringwear I guess.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WASDF posted:

I dunno, I just care more about the music than the ringwear I guess.

Just because I have a nicely maintained car doesn't mean I enjoy driving any less.

Jesus Christ.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just because I have a nicely maintained car doesn't mean I enjoy driving any less.

Jesus Christ.

But that may not be the case for everyone. I truly would rather just listen to my records then worry about them as cultural artifacts.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Do I have the format for you!!!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WASDF posted:

But that may not be the case for everyone.

And? You're the one making the implication that they're somehow mutually exclusive.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

And? You're the one making the implication that they're somehow mutually exclusive.

No, what I implied was that I care more about the music than going to extreme measures to prevent ring wear.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

WASDF posted:

If you're talking about what I think you are, Unknown Pleasures has this and it drives me up the wall.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Every time I buy a record I dress up in a full-on clean suit and carefully remove the album covers with a collection of expensive and specialized tools. The cover is then placed into an air/light tight box custom made by the finest artisan in the world who was born and raised specifically for this purpose. Each individual box is then sent to a special facility in an undisclosed location that exists solely for the purpose of storing these album covers. Pretty much anyone who doesn't take these measures has a bad collection and probably isn't a real music fan.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Usually my cheeto dust laden fingers are enough to protect my records from any harm. Although sometimes I burp ferociously and spittle flies out and lands in the grooves so I have to clean it with an acidic cleaner to really get the digestive backfire bits out.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Hole sleeves!!!! :argh:

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I thought ringwear would only happen if you stored your records on their side?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
If you're in the US, here's a solid price for an original Ramones "Rocket to Russia" ($9.99, free shipping). It doesn't have the lyric inner, but the vinyl's clean. Nice price. I am not the seller, by the way.

Never mind, someone bid on it, BIN over.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 30, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nomapple and Cpt. Spring Types, I dunno if you've seen but Tonefloat has the limited edition of PT's The Incident now. It's €70 but it's a rad set:

The middle spine is a book. Mine also came with a magazine and a Tonefloat slipmat, though I'm not sure they're doing that anymore.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I am so pleased I'm not into Porcupine Tree. I would be so broke by now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Doctor Cave posted:

I am so pleased I'm not into Porcupine Tree. I would be so broke by now.

Mm, this is a little over $2k worth of records:

I've nearly got every song they've ever released on vinyl though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've never even listened to PT. What album should I listen to first?