Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

They're traffic simulations, run in a radar simulator. The academy has very specific guidelines on procedures, and they evaluate you on your ability to apply those procedures to an actual (busy) sector. Its basically an enormously complicated apptitude test.

The academy airspace itself is a simplified version of a real Memphis center sector, in the Jackson, Mississippi area.

That last radar problem is, in fact, a bit of a clusterfuck. :smith:

Yeah, that last problem was a bitch. It was the one with the dudes in a block altitude with "don't change altitude" in the remarks, right? You used to be able to change their altitude and only take a minor point hit for not reading the remarks and it completely changed the problem but I've heard they made the penalty more severe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

copperblue posted:

What is the group's recommendation for an android logbook app? I'm surprised Garmin Pilot doesn't have some way to track this.

As a Mac user I LOVE LogTen Pro on my laptop however the company refuses to make an Android app. So, I do my logbook when I get home. I know a few pilots that use LogBook Pro but since they charge to import your monthly schedule a lot refuse to. I'm thinking I'll need to break down and get an iPod touch to do my logbook but for now, entering them at home is the best option.

Off topic LogTen Pro will import your pairings free and exports them to iCal. If you have iCal synced to Google Calendars like I do, it also syncs them leg by leg to your Android phone. Which is freakin sweet. Everyone I've shows that to thinks its awesome. Plus I can share it with my wife so she doesn't wonder where I am.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

if anyone is interested , I am selling my Bose A20's for $750.

Dont miss the chance to be the bragging douchebag who cant stop bragging about his Bose!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My first instructor had a pair of those. Never knew they were $1,000+ until I looked them up years later. How he afforded them on a CFII salary, I have no idea, unless he really, really wanted them and/or had a payment plan going of some sort.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They do a nice payment plan with no interest. Every CFI should have nice noise canceling or risk hearing loss like me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Yeah, that last problem was a bitch. It was the one with the dudes in a block altitude with "don't change altitude" in the remarks, right? You used to be able to change their altitude and only take a minor point hit for not reading the remarks and it completely changed the problem but I've heard they made the penalty more severe.

Ya, I literally could find no way around it, and ended up taking the penalty. I just couldn't give them that much of my airspace without royally loving nearly everyone else on frequency. Apparently if you see it super early, you have a few seconds where a direct route on some of the traffic guys solves the conflictions, but I was busy not dying.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
I'm set to go back to RCAF Pilot Selection! All of my interviews/medical/paperwork are done and now I await the email scheduling my trip to CFB Trenton for a week of flying their simulators. I botched it last time and had to get a CPL to earn this second shot, so needless to say, I can't mess this up. I should be going back late July early August. As such I've been looking for sim time and drat its gotten expensive. My flight school is $108 and $48 for a mandatory instructor + 13% tax so $176.27/hr for a loving simulator - not even a full motion one. There is a Red Bird in town that's going to come up to about $200. There has got to be a cheaper option to basically fly a pattern IFR in a 172 a thousand times. I've got a lovely FSX setup at home, but practicing in an actual twitchy-as-gently caress sim would be nice.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Desi posted:

I'm set to go back to RCAF Pilot Selection! All of my interviews/medical/paperwork are done and now I await the email scheduling my trip to CFB Trenton for a week of flying their simulators. I botched it last time and had to get a CPL to earn this second shot, so needless to say, I can't mess this up. I should be going back late July early August. As such I've been looking for sim time and drat its gotten expensive. My flight school is $108 and $48 for a mandatory instructor + 13% tax so $176.27/hr for a loving simulator - not even a full motion one. There is a Red Bird in town that's going to come up to about $200. There has got to be a cheaper option to basically fly a pattern IFR in a 172 a thousand times. I've got a lovely FSX setup at home, but practicing in an actual twitchy-as-gently caress sim would be nice.

Holy hell, that's expensive. Where are you? At my school their sim is $77/hour including instructor. Nothing fancy, decent flight controls and the certified version of X-Plane.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Lemons posted:

Holy hell, that's expensive. Where are you? At my school their sim is $77/hour including instructor. Nothing fancy, decent flight controls and the certified version of X-Plane.

Ottawa, Canada. Yeah, I seem to recall seeing sim time SOMEWHERE for like $50. That poo poo may even be worth travelling a bit for, I mean, I want to err on the side of caution and get like ~5 hours, so $1,000 is a bit much if I can find it for $250 (or $385, at $77/hr).

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

What is the best way to study for the private pilot written?

I started flying last year, but I stopped when the weather turned bad and when I decided to switch schools. I want to pass the written before I get back in the air, but every time I sit down with a book or with a bank of questions, I just get frustrated and walk away. My goal was to finish my PPL this summer, but if I don't get that test done quickly, I feel like I'm never going to get my PPL. I have an app which has a bank of about 800 questions, and I pass everything consistently except for the sections on weight&balance, performace, and instruments (things I never learned from my awful ground school/flight instructor... one of the reasons I dumped that school).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

What is the best way to study for the private pilot written?

I started flying last year, but I stopped when the weather turned bad and when I decided to switch schools. I want to pass the written before I get back in the air, but every time I sit down with a book or with a bank of questions, I just get frustrated and walk away. My goal was to finish my PPL this summer, but if I don't get that test done quickly, I feel like I'm never going to get my PPL. I have an app which has a bank of about 800 questions, and I pass everything consistently except for the sections on weight&balance, performace, and instruments (things I never learned from my awful ground school/flight instructor... one of the reasons I dumped that school).

Read the FAA books and borrow/buy the King Schools syllabus from someone.

edit: Rod Machado's private pilot handbook is recommended highly by some. I read it and found it to be a little juvenile but maybe he can help keep your interest.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2013

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

DNova posted:

Read the FAA books and borrow/buy the King Schools syllabus from someone.

The FAA books are actually really good and they are free on the FAA web site (I'm pretty sure the link is in the OP). I would avoid learning via the Gleim study guides as those just teach to the answers and you don't really learn anything. First, learn it, then if you want review the study guide. You'll find it very easy this way.

Also, when I took my CFI checkrides, the Fed liked seeing the FAA materials.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I am currently learning to fly the pattern at my training airport in a 172 and am having trouble staying on the centerline during my landing approaches, especially with a crosswind. Often I am coming in too high and too fast. My CFI says I am coming along nicely and just need more practice but I am getting a bit frustrated with myself. Is this skill something that will just "click" with time and practice? I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FSX however my CFI told me this will likely not help me specifically with landing.

Overall, I am enjoying learning to fly and appreciate any advice given.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Richlove posted:

Is this skill something that will just "click" with time and practice? I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FSX however my CFI told me this will likely not help me specifically with landing.

Yes. It is something that will come with time. Practice makes perfect. I don't think I landed on the centerline once before getting my PPL.

FSX is worthless when it comes to handling/general feel/landing, especially in the lighter planes. It is most useful for learning instrument procedures and general fuckery.

Keep pushing, you'll get it soon enough!

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Took me a long time to get the mental picture of what you're looking for in a good landing and how to apply the correct changes. Whenever I haven't flown in a while and get some time in it takes me a few landings to clear the rust off.

It's just something that takes time and practice.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Landings are pretty much a case of doing them until something clicks (which happens at a different point for everyone), but I'll throw in some pointers I've picked up.

If you're having trouble with the centerline, try breaking it down into what flight control does what.

The ailerons control where you are relative to the centerline, whereas the rudder just controls where the nose is pointing. Obviously, you'll have to use both controls together to get the airplane where you want, but I've found that simplifying things in that way can get the light bulb to click for some people. This will also help with your crosswind landings, assuming you're not trying to use the "crab and kick" method.

I've found that one of the overlooked methods to getting good landings is to make sure you're flying the pattern the same way every time. I give my students some power settings and key points in the traffic pattern to shoot for (I don't specify altitudes for anything except the crosswind turn and the downwind), which results in them turning final at about the same distance and altitude every time around the pattern.

There's also a pretty helpful series of youtube videos put out by the University of North Dakota that explain traffic patterns, landings, and faulty approaches and landings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/undaerocast/videos

Keep in mind that these are written for their standardization manual (which is somewhat anal-retentive), but the sections on faulty approaches and landings are pretty helpful since the university created those after having students do about $300,000 in damage to brand new 172's on landing within a few weeks.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Richlove posted:

I am currently learning to fly the pattern at my training airport in a 172 and am having trouble staying on the centerline during my landing approaches, especially with a crosswind. Often I am coming in too high and too fast. My CFI says I am coming along nicely and just need more practice but I am getting a bit frustrated with myself. Is this skill something that will just "click" with time and practice? I have a yoke and rudder pedals for FSX however my CFI told me this will likely not help me specifically with landing.

Overall, I am enjoying learning to fly and appreciate any advice given.

I'm not sure where you're at in training, but I made a post VERY similar to yours after having flown for about a month. My CFI said I was doing well, but I also had problems, also with high and fast, and somewhat with centerline.

I got some advice from Ferris Bueller that really, really, really helped. Do everything by the numbers. Figure out what your instructor wants to see, when. Once your pattern gets spot-on vertically, you can concentrate on getting on the centerline.

As far as centerline control goes, my CFI did something super useful. We did an approach, but instead of flaring, we put a little bit of power in, so we rode in ground effect all the way down the runway. Just flying straight down the middle of the runway controlling the airplane low to the ground where rudder is ONLY for getting the heading correct and ailerons are ONLY for correcting drift really helped with the muscle memory.

Thirdly, x-plane hurt me for landings. The muscle memory I had developed was based on the feedback from my rudder pedals and yoke, and not an aircraft. The sim was great for patterns and approaches, but crappy for actual landings.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
As a CFI I noticed that students usually fell into two categories. Some had a flight where landings "clicked" and others gradually got better with time. The advice that was given over the last few posts is all golden so I won't bother repeating it except to add in to just keep practicing and don't get frustrated if you're not progressing as fast as you can.

AWSEFT posted:

teach to the answers and you don't really learn anything. First, learn it, then if you want review the study guide.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the FAA written tests. The rote memorization of the questions and answers, and learning the subject matter then applying it to the test. While I'm certainly not going to advocate that you don't bother learning the subject matter using it on the FAA written tests is a different matter. Here are a couple of reasons why:

-Some of the FAA questions lack relevance to the aircraft and associated equipment you're using (or will ever use).

-Some of the answers are incorrect. When I was in instrument ground school our entire class did one of the XC planning questions independently, with as much precision as we could manage. Of the 20 people in the class 15 of us, including the instructor, got answers that were all extremely close to each other. Unfortunately the answer we came up with was directly between two of the available answers on the test. When you're using 4-5 different charts and diagrams to come up with an answer there's going to be some slop in the answer.

-Some of the questions and answers are worded in a way where it's easy to misread them and answer the question incorrectly. RTFQ applies to these tests but the feds certainly aren't helping.

-Memorizing the answers requires significantly less time studying and taking the test, allowing you to spend more time on studying for the oral and practical which are not only more important but do a much better job of evaluating your competency than a CATS machine.

My suggestion would be to spend a few hours memorizing answers. Mostly the ones for the performance ones and the ones that take a long time to figure out. Then if you run across a question you've never seen before or are unsure of stop and think about/calculate the answer.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got some advice from Ferris Bueller that really, really, really helped. Do everything by the numbers. Figure out what your instructor wants to see, when. Once your pattern gets spot-on vertically, you can concentrate on getting on the centerline.

As far as centerline control goes, my CFI did something super useful. We did an approach, but instead of flaring, we put a little bit of power in, so we rode in ground effect all the way down the runway. Just flying straight down the middle of the runway controlling the airplane low to the ground where rudder is ONLY for getting the heading correct and ailerons are ONLY for correcting drift really helped with the muscle memory.

If you want I can send you or write something specific to your problem but basically summed up here's what I said to babyeatingpsychopath. Make corrections for landing in the pattern, the earlier the better. You're to close on downwind, fix it now before try to force the issue, high on the base fix it now rather then try to do so crazy slip or something on final. The further back your correction and the more locked into a good stable approach for your airplane on final you are the better off the landing will be. If you are set up stable you can concentrate on what the environment is doing to you and not doubling up your workload by correcting for you and the environment.

The above technique is awesome and I used it frequently with students. I also put the airplane on a straight tar line on the ground and would have them draw a vertical line with a dry erase marker on the windscreen over the tar line. That's your front sight, your shoulder blades, and some other visual reference in the cockpit are the back site of a rifle, so it helps line up the longitudinal axis with the direction of travel ie you wont side load your landings.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

Thank you all for the tips and reassurance. I have committed our local pattern to memory and will keep at it. I have had to deal with drama at work this week but I hope to be airborne again next weekend for a few hours flying the pattern.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Trying to relocate a plane on the east coast this week is stupid. You have a window between 10am when the morning poo poo burns off and 1pm when it gets all crazy convective.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

Trying to relocate a plane on the east coast this week is stupid. You have a window between 10am when the morning poo poo burns off and 1pm when it gets all crazy convective.

#summer

It's annoying as poo poo. This is my first summer with my PPL so I'm learning that I cannot schedule somethign in the afternoon, as the constant plethora of convective sigmets will keep me grounded. So I finally flew earlier in the morning this past week, before the thermals and poo poo came around, aside from being hazy to the point I could barely see the horizon, it was *beautiful*. Whereabouts on the east coast are you?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Was in Richmond, VA, made it as far as Parkersburg, WV (Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport KPKB say WHAT!!) before poo poo got all crazy convective and we had to land. Trying to get to Appleton, WI, not in any hurry though, it'll take however long it ends up taking. Probably going for KARR (Aurora, Chicago) tomorrow, but might end up only as far as Dayton or something if it gets lovely early.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Sounds like it's time for some people to invest in an instrument rating. It won't really help with the thunderstorms, unless you have wx radar, but it'll certainly help out on those foggy mornings.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

Well I managed to stick my first crosswind landing straight down the centerline with an acceptable glide path and a nice soft touchdown. This was made possible by just sticking to the numbers and feeling out the plane once over the threshold. Hopefully I won't have a crosswind tomorrow when I practice and can continue to get a feel for the landings. Thanks again for the advice!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

Sounds like it's time for some people to invest in an instrument rating. It won't really help with the thunderstorms, unless you have wx radar, but it'll certainly help out on those foggy mornings.

We both have them. It's 0/0 at KPKB right now, that's below our company takeoff mins by quite a bit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Took some pictures at the TFP fly in (near Corpus Christi, TX) yesterday. I was disappointed with the turnout, we had WAY more airplanes last year. I don't know if it was the heat or a lack of marketing or what. Fly ins seem to be poorly advertised as it is. It seems like if I don't hear about it from a friend, I won't be able to find information on it. This one actually was on the FBO's online calendar, but I guess word didn't get out as much.

Anyway, here they are

In other news, the C-150 I get to fly is being moved to this airport. Previously, the deal was that I pay to hangar it and I get to fly it. So, I had it hangared at 9R5 in a less than weatherproof hangar with a runway that only counts as a runway in the loosest definition. The poor 150 was getting filthy and dinged up working from that strip, so now it'll be at TFP next to the owner's Cessna 205. He's offered to split the hangar rental with me, (I was paying $100/mo at 9R5 and it's $350 total at TFP).

Despite the price hike, I'm still excited because I'll be able to operate from a field that has fuel, airport lighting, and automatic hangar doors. It's an additional 8 minutes drive from the old airport (total about 35 minutes from my house) but I think it'll be worth it. Maybe now I can get some more night flying done.

Sadly, it has been down for annual for the past few weeks so I wasn't able to take it up during the fly in. It's having a STC'd push rod modification installed on all the valve push rods and it's not going smoothly. What was supposed to make LESS oil leak out of the drat thing has caused precisely the opposite. I don't know when the mechanic will be done with it.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Made it to KCMH today and that's it.. a whole 76 miles further.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Currently building the XC time for IR

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is that Istanbul? Are the protesters trying to break a record for deadliest helo crash?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My god... There would be SO-MUCH-PAPERWORK if that happened in the U.S.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Proc posted:

Is that Istanbul?

Believe this was in in Egypt

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cairo, Egypt. A couple nights ago during huge protests there. They are demanding their new president resign by Tuesday evening.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 3, 2013

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just going to leave this here.....

I start my CFI training tomorrow.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
So its one thing to get a plane like a dc-3 holding short for you...its altogether something else to have it happen during my first solo today.

Holy crap that was nuts.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shavnir posted:

So its one thing to get a plane like a dc-3 holding short for you...its altogether something else to have it happen during my first solo today.

Holy crap that was nuts.

Congratulations, you are a real pilot now!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Shavnir posted:

Holy crap that was nuts.

Congrats!

One-up time (wouldn't be an aviation thread without it, no?): "Air Canada 888 Heavy, hold short runway 32 at Echo, landing Cessna 172 traffic." I come in for a long landing and have a fully laden Boeing 767 bound for Heathrow off my right wing waiting for my dumb rear end to land so they can get going. It's also my personal goal to have tower issue a hold short clearance to CANFORCE1 due to me.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Desi posted:

"Air Canada 888 Heavy, hold short runway 32 at Echo, landing Cessna 172 traffic." I come in for a long landing and have a fully laden Boeing 767 bound for Heathrow off my right wing waiting for my dumb rear end to land so they can get going. It's also my personal goal to have tower issue a hold short clearance to CANFORCE1 due to me.

He burned more fuel waiting for you to land then you spent in the entire circuit around the pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AWSEFT posted:

He burned more fuel waiting for you to land then you spent in the entire circuit around the pattern.

This.

Also, if CanForces are anything like the USAF, you won't even be allowed near an airplane when super-duper-VIP aircraft are around. The security precautions they take for AF1 nowadays border on ridiculous.

• Locked thread