Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

nasboat posted:

They did, 100%. I have video of the crowd singing along with the chorus when the music drops. :allears:

to the best of my knowledge, the setlist was:

The Three Of Us
Down, Down, Down To Mephisto's Cafe
We Will Fall Together
With Any Sort Of Certainty
Would You Be Impressed?
A Better Place, A Better Time
Toe To Toe
40 Days
The Hands That Thieve
A Moment Of Silence
A Moment Of Violence
Oh Me, Oh My
The Big Sleep

Encore:
Here's To Life
Somewhere In The Between

I swear there's one missing but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. :(

e: for the record, if you heard someone yell 'gently caress VICTORY RECORDS' before they played The Hands That Thieve (after Tomas asked if we had all stolen the new album off the internet by now), that was me

The setlist from last night:

The Three of Us
We Will Fall Together
With Any Sort of Certainty
Would You Be Impressed?
Toe To Toe
40 days
The Hand That Thieves
Failing, Flailing (probably the one you are missing)
Moment of Silence
Moment of Violence
Oh Me, Oh My
Big Sleep

Encore
Here's to Life
Somewhere In The Between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

AzraelNewtype posted:

Ha, I lost a lens from my glasses at a Streetlight concert back in 2004. Of course, there really wasn't much area in there that wasn't the pit, so there wasn't a whole lot that could be done other than simply not wearing them to the show at all.

That's exactly what I did (and usually do), left my glasses in the car. Though my vision isn't too terrible, so I'm sure that's not an option for some people.

In Cincy, the pit ended up being everything within about 60 feet of the stage (this was due, at least in part, to assholes pushing and dragging people in toward the front/center). Still, the back half of the venue was available for anyone who didn't want to be jostled.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm so glad they played With Any Sort of Certainty and Oh Me, Oh My on Saturday. Man that was such a great show, well worth the drive. Only wish they played Receiving End of it All but can't have everything I want.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nerve posted:

I'm so glad they played With Any Sort of Certainty and Oh Me, Oh My on Saturday. Man that was such a great show, well worth the drive. Only wish they played Receiving End of it All but can't have everything I want.

Reminder that this exists and is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O945QJRfpMs

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I just found out Rump Shaker was produced by Oingo Boingo's bassist. How did I not know that?! That kind of doubles the awesome.

Edit: I'm all set for the Streetlight show on Sunday. This is gonna be fantastic.

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 28, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Dickeye posted:

Reminder that this exists and is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O945QJRfpMs

Piano covers are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29OuEzetmu8

This is my favourite.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I thought to myself, "Whoa sweet, a Massachusetts ska show, welp nope"

Psyched to see the Planet Smashers touring here again though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Shabadu posted:

I thought to myself, "Whoa sweet, a Massachusetts ska show, welp nope"

Psyched to see the Planet Smashers touring here again though.

Same thoughts here too buddy. :(

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Holy poo poo they're still alive!

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

CDX posted:

Holy poo poo they're still alive!

Ska bands never die. They just cool down.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
So, I have heard that Fluent in Stroll is one of the worst Big D albums, which is the best? I have only ever heard Fluent in Stroll, there were a couple songs I liked on there.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I actually kinda enjoy several of the songs on Fluent In Stroll for whatever reason. It's kind of my guilty pleasure album :blush: I particularly like 'Been Wishing On'.

But in terms of their best, I always liked 'How It Goes' which has some of their biggest hits like 'My Girlfriend's on Drugs' and 'L.A. X'.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Deargodalion posted:

So, I have heard that Fluent in Stroll is one of the worst Big D albums, which is the best? I have only ever heard Fluent in Stroll, there were a couple songs I liked on there.

The album you're looking for is the Gypsy Hill LP; it has their strongest material and is the best recorded and mixed of their discography. Good Luck is good, too.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

definitely how it goes

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Getting into Big D via Fluent in Stroll is like getting into RX Bandits via Mandala or Green Day via 21st Century Breakdown

poo poo is rear end backwards. Not that its your fault but I can't think of a worse album to start Big D with.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Getting into Big D via Fluent in Stroll is like getting into RX Bandits via Mandala or Green Day via 21st Century Breakdown

poo poo is rear end backwards. Not that its your fault but I can't think of a worse album to start Big D with.

I didn't know! Pandora just played Not Fuckin' Around. I was like "Yeah, this is aight." I went on got the album and didn't hate it, so much as only liked a couple songs. I only learned later (almost 2 years) that I made a mistake in avoiding Big D, and that I had just gotten the wrong album.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Deargodalion posted:

I didn't know! Pandora just played Not Fuckin' Around. I was like "Yeah, this is aight." I went on got the album and didn't hate it, so much as only liked a couple songs. I only learned later (almost 2 years) that I made a mistake in avoiding Big D, and that I had just gotten the wrong album.

How it goes is such a mess production wise its painful to listen to. It also starts the steady decline of the singing and lyrics. I hesitate to call it bad. It has enough good songs to make a strong EP if it had been recorded, mixed and mastered properly. Miscellaneous T was the most correct. Their best albums are behind them. Good Luck first best, Gypsy Hill second best. Comedy best Porch Life.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Porch Life is literally the best Big D album.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Big D warming up 2004 Stockton CA featuring Dave on drums! StreetLight was supposed to play with them but their van broke down.

But it was cool cause they made it to the show in Oakland the next day where they kindly took my money in a game of dice.
Pictured - People no longer in Street Light Manifesto, including original Bassist and Trumpet player. Big D's new drummer? My friend in a pink shirt. Street Light Manifesto drummer? Not Pictured - Thomas trying to sell me a broken Ibanez guitar.

Those are most of my ska stories

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 30, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Mandala is so incredibly out of place in this

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

How though? Its a complete departure from their previous body of work.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Grandmaster.flv posted:

How though? Its a complete departure from their previous body of work.

Well I'd say that all of their albums before that were moving towards and it wasn't just a complete departure, but the main reason was that it's actually a good album unlike the other two.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
My Streetlight Bundle finally arrived. :woop: No CD's of course. :sigh: (Well, I got the Streetlight Lullabies I order with it too)

VICTORY! :argh:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
First Jeff Rosenstock summer mp3 released, check your email if you bought the record. It's a cover, it's good, it's not ska.

Speaking of the record, anyone receive theirs yet? I did not, and it probably shouldn't take them long to ship from Brooklyn to Brooklyn, so I'm guessing no one else did either.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

First Jeff Rosenstock summer mp3 released, check your email if you bought the record. It's a cover, it's good, it's not ska.

Speaking of the record, anyone receive theirs yet? I did not, and it probably shouldn't take them long to ship from Brooklyn to Brooklyn, so I'm guessing no one else did either.
They don't get released until August I think.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I love the new summertime Jeff club song. Kind of just what I expected, in a good way. It's super fun. :dance:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just in time for my road trip mix.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Saw that Ska-P released an album earlier this year. Is it any good? And what other "notable" bands released new music this year?

Besides Streetlight

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 7, 2013

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Backno posted:

The setlist from last night:

The Three of Us
We Will Fall Together
With Any Sort of Certainty
Would You Be Impressed?
Toe To Toe
40 days
The Hand That Thieves
Moment of Silence
Moment of Violence
Oh Me, Oh My
Big Sleep

Encore
Here's to Life
Somewhere In The Between

Just got home from seeing Streetlight. What a loving show. This was our setlist exactly. Failing, Flailing would have been cool but I'm not pissed this is already pretty close to my perfect (!) Streetlight set. Notable stuff:

-Got about 6 drinks spilled on my back and shoulders in the first 30 seconds of Three of Us
-Got elbowed in the head twice, the first time those fuckers made me accidentally headbutt some poor girl in front of me. The second time I got my glasses knocked off my head and three dudes jumped in the middle of the pit to save them for me. They weren't even broken, just ever-so-slightly bent frames.
-Saw two dudes almost get into a fight, then stop and hug it out :3
-Managed to get elbows on the stage and stay out of the pit for the second half of the show. All the songs from the new album were amaaaaaaazing live.
-Got some skin from every member of the band except Tomas, that lanky fucker.

Crowd was rowdy as fuuuuuck. Everybody knew this band wasn't coming back to our hick town anytime soon, so we made it count. One of the better nights of my life. Go see Streetlight this year if you haven't yet.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

Sade posted:

The second time I got my glasses knocked off my head and three dudes jumped in the middle of the pit to save them for me. They weren't even broken, just ever-so-slightly bent frames.

Now, what did I just tell you? It's even quoted at the top of the page. Good to hear you got them back, though.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
The first time I lost my glasses in the pit was age 13 at Franz Ferdinand, and the last time I lost my glasses in the pit was three years ago at Peelander Z. It took me that long to learn not to wear glasses in the god drat pit.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Lieutenant Dan posted:

...pit...Franz Ferdinand...

Are there 2 bands using this name?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I've also busted two pairs of glasses, one during Choking Victim (most intense pit ever) back in 2005, and the other last fall during BTMI!. Don't wear your glasses in the loving pit.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I just leave my glasses in the car. Just don't ask me to read anything at the show.

Any goons gonna be at the Lancaster Streetlight show?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

MondayHotDog posted:

I've also busted two pairs of glasses, one during Choking Victim (most intense pit ever) back in 2005, and the other last fall during BTMI!. Don't wear your glasses in the loving pit.

Normally I have a rule about glasses and the pit that is basically this. My plan was to get elbows on the stage (like I did last time they were in Little Rock) and not have to worry so much about the pit. I finally managed to secure a spot about halfway through the show, but I got my glasses knocked off by then. I also didn't really account for how fuckin' rowdy the crowd was going to be. Dumb mistake.

Thinking about using my vacation hours to road trip out to Jersey for the two-night residency at the end of the tour. Anyone else?

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Sade posted:

Normally I have a rule about glasses and the pit that is basically this. My plan was to get elbows on the stage (like I did last time they were in Little Rock) and not have to worry so much about the pit. I finally managed to secure a spot about halfway through the show, but I got my glasses knocked off by then. I also didn't really account for how fuckin' rowdy the crowd was going to be. Dumb mistake.

Thinking about using my vacation hours to road trip out to Jersey for the two-night residency at the end of the tour. Anyone else?

I want to go so loving badly but alas I've already hosed it up. They need to record this professionally both video and audio and sell it as a DVD independently.

edit: I just asked Victory owns the rights to that too. :(

mogran fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 10, 2013

JonnyRevolta
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone going to the 14th annual Victoria SkaFest? Starts today goes thru til Saturday night. Great lineup this year, Mad Caddies, Suburban Legends, Resignators, Planet Smashers, Tanya Stephens, Dave Hillyard and Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) is headlining, first time they've done a hip hop headliner.

Lots of others too, you can check em out at http://victoriaskafest.ca/. If anyone happens to be going come find me in the beer garden and I'll buy you a drink!

JonnyRevolta fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 9, 2013

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
Recently I have had a lot of [Spunge] come across my Ska Station on Pandora. They sound to me like "traditional" 90's ska punk. None of my friends have ever heard of them, but a quick google shows that they have at least SOME fans. Anyone got an opinion on them, or suggested listenings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I heard them through pandora too, they seem pretty good and I've been meaning to grab one of their albums, but :effort:

If some others in this thread give some good recommendations I'll probably grab one.