Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

bobfather posted:

Were the articles DMCA'ed from SuperNews and TweaNews?

It's possible, I've just never seen that much consistent damage. Usually my mains grab all but a few MBs and then the block accounts take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
It would seem NZBsRus is down for good according to their twitter. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.:laugh:

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I updated to sabnzbd 0.7.13 and it changed all my folder locations from C drive to D(Which I don't have on this system). Deleted all of my sorting settings including my sickbeard script. Kinda surprised because I didn't see this happening to anyone else.

GateheaD posted:

What would be a good alternative to NZB.su's VIP Features (Quick Look Top TV/ Top Movies), I could check every day on a scene news website but I would prefer to see what the most downloaded releases are for the week and have a peek at the quality (Automate most things, still like to see what I have missed.)

Doesn't need to have download links either.

I used to use NZBMatrix for that. It was nice being able to filter every category and see top downloads in month/weeks. NZB.su's quicklook feature is okay, it's just absolutely bare and basic for being a paid feature. I'd like to find a new replacement one as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can see top downloads easily on both nzbs.org and dognzb.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
This may be a silly question - I'm getting a lot of incomplete downloads from Supernews. Will getting a block usenet account as a backup help with that? I'm eyeing up that NewsgroupDirect block sale.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

It would seem NZBsRus is down for good according to their twitter. It couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.:laugh:

The fuckers over at Reddit have done some digging and found that the site admins were desperately trying to sell the site to "raise capital for a bitcoin related project".

https://pay.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1h49o0/nzbsruscom_closing/

When the threads were found and linked they started trying to delete the evidence, but it was all cached anyway. It's worth noting that the guy is talking about the massive profits the site was generating, which proves that all their talk about barely keeping the place afloat was just another loving lie. Hope they do end up getting sued.

EDIT: also the cease and desist notice they claim to have received looks fake. The language is off and the scanning seems inconsistent (some parts are crisp like they came out of a PDF while others look blurry like they were digitized from an analogue source, as they should) so it's not a huge leap to assume the cunts finally cashed out after getting people to pony up for lifetime VIPs a few months ago.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 27, 2013

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Yeah, that notice does look fake. Suspicious indeed. Assuming the notice is fake, why are they shutting down? Seeing as they were making serious cash (100BTC per month which is about $10,000), you'd think they'd just leave the thing running to rake in the megabucks.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Lusername posted:

Yeah, that notice does look fake. Suspicious indeed. Assuming the notice is fake, why are they shutting down? Seeing as they were making serious cash (100BTC per month which is about $10,000), you'd think they'd just leave the thing running to rake in the megabucks.

That's almost assuredly a lie to sucker some poor chump into buying the site now. If the bitcoin project is true, I'm going to laugh a mighty laugh when bitcoins crash yet again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

As expected they took the money and ran, they were always a shady bunch of dicks. That poo poo they pulled with lifetime VIP was done in such an obnoxious way. I don't mind a good site admitting they hosed up and need to charge more but they literally just started locking accounts and removing VIP without notice.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Has there been a Lazy Librarian replacement? I know there were some forks and what not, but I wasn't sure if there was a new defacto official source.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there something wrong with nzb.su or are they just dicks who deleted my account because I didn't re-up VIP with it?

Says I don't even have an account now, which is a pretty lovely way to go I think after paying for the site for a year and a half if that's the case.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Telex posted:

is there something wrong with nzb.su or are they just dicks who deleted my account because I didn't re-up VIP with it?

Says I don't even have an account now, which is a pretty lovely way to go I think after paying for the site for a year and a half if that's the case.

Is that a recent development or have you only just tried to use it after a couple of months inactivity? They went through a purge of non-VIP accounts several months ago when nzbmatrix got taken down and everyone starting flailing wildly for alternative indexers. Invites are all over the place now though so it's super easy to get a new account.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Grab Meatcastle posted:

Is that a recent development or have you only just tried to use it after a couple of months inactivity? They went through a purge of non-VIP accounts several months ago when nzbmatrix got taken down and everyone starting flailing wildly for alternative indexers. Invites are all over the place now though so it's super easy to get a new account.

I'm not sure when I used it last, but the VIP only expired 3 weeks ago. I've been in the middle of a move and just got my server turned on this weekend, went to go re-up the VIP for another year and for whatever reason my account was locked out. Very weird. It's working now since I sent an email I guess but it was totally broke last night.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

nevermind sorta, I found the port thing in the help for email, there really should be context on the page in the web interface to say use host:port for SSL, since everything else on the planet has specific boxes for putting in ssl/tls/etc ability/ports. mybad.

Second question still applies, are there any good apps for iOS and/or Android that do push notifications for SABnzbd? I might prefer that to emails.

Telex fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 1, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I take it that the Goon project is dead like many others that have come before it?

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
Does midgetspy hate anime?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

YouTuber posted:

I take it that the Goon project is dead like many others that have come before it?

Well not for those who got an invite to it :smug:

e: and not to be a total dick about it: I think it is still in a beta testing stage, I'm sure there will be news about it soon and how to join

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 1, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Teabiscuit posted:

Does midgetspy hate anime?

Yes, because he is wise.

Also, anime support is hard to do correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm getting some pretty serious schadenfreude browsing the series change requests form on TVDB.

On the other hand, I posted a request and it's been ignored and has now fallen onto the second page, what's the etiquette there? Can I just top the thread? PM a mod? They seem to jump on people with bad ideas that don't follow the rules, but legitimate requests seem to just be ignored.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm getting some pretty serious schadenfreude browsing the series change requests form on TVDB.

On the other hand, I posted a request and it's been ignored and has now fallen onto the second page, what's the etiquette there? Can I just top the thread? PM a mod? They seem to jump on people with bad ideas that don't follow the rules, but legitimate requests seem to just be ignored.

I've submitted two requests that were both handled within a day or so without any asshattery, but then I followed the guidelines and made sure to provide all details like show ID, episode ID etc to make it as easy as possible for them to push the changes.

I'm sure they're quicker when replying to the idiots because they love making GBS threads on people and there's no actual work to be done. How long has it been since you posted your thread?

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, because he is wise.

Also, anime support is hard to do correctly.

The anime fork some guy made works pretty well it's just a year behind.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

UndyingShadow posted:

It's possible, I've just never seen that much consistent damage. Usually my mains grab all but a few MBs and then the block accounts take over.

I know is from a few days ago, but it looks like a massive purge has happened on giganews/supernews recently, a few months ago they was a similar sudden increase in missing articles. I'm getting missing articles more often than not, and that's with two backup block accounts on different usenet backbones.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm having trouble reupping on a tweaknews block. When I bought it back in feb they accepted paypal, now they don't and the .nl processor they use for VISA just rejects my visa card over and over.

I have no idea how to reup with them..every thing they accept is a .eu paypal service and I'm in the US. Any advice?

tlc
Jan 6, 2005

dont send help

Lord Dekks posted:

I know is from a few days ago, but it looks like a massive purge has happened on giganews/supernews recently, a few months ago they was a similar sudden increase in missing articles. I'm getting missing articles more often than not, and that's with two backup block accounts on different usenet backbones.

The increasing uselessness of Giganews has had me firing up a bt client for the first time in many years recently.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I once had a friend show me all about this and I meant to get into it then but didn't. I just finished reading the op and just wanted to ask if nzbdstatus is still good. I noticed the op had not been updated in awhile so hope I don't piss anybody off asking. Going to try going back through the thread and see what is the best provider right now. I think I might be best off with a block type plan from what I understood in the OP. Very informative thread.

gi-
Aug 18, 2004
SABnzbd Version 0.7.14 released!

Bug fixes
Missing mini-par2 sometimes prevents the other par2 files from being downloaded
When unrar reports invalid RAR files, show a proper error message
Fix special case of unjustified encryption warning

eames
May 9, 2009

Lord Dekks posted:

I’m seeing this too and it seems to have started around the middle of June.
Ever since that date, my SABnzbd stopped pulling articles Supernews and Blocknews. Every successful download is from my tiny tweaknews block account now, and that’s quite slow (~25 Mbit/s).

That and trackers are shutting down left and right… ugh, just give me Netflix in here Europe and I’ll gladly pay the subscription fee.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

eames posted:

I’m seeing this too and it seems to have started around the middle of June.
Ever since that date, my SABnzbd stopped pulling articles Supernews and Blocknews. Every successful download is from my tiny tweaknews block account now, and that’s quite slow (~25 Mbit/s).

That and trackers are shutting down left and right… ugh, just give me Netflix in here Europe and I’ll gladly pay the subscription fee.

Is it affecting just released Linux iso's or just ones that are months/years old?

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I've also noticed the increase of missing articles on Supernews lately (and possibly my backup servers too - I usually just cancel the download once I see everything is missing on Supernews). I've only been downloading stuff posted within the last 7-60 days. Looks like I may have to resort to torrents more often. Anyone know if there's a provider out there that offers a good deal on a combined usenet access + seedbox service?

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

Lusername posted:

I've also noticed the increase of missing articles on Supernews lately (and possibly my backup servers too - I usually just cancel the download once I see everything is missing on Supernews). I've only been downloading stuff posted within the last 7-60 days. Looks like I may have to resort to torrents more often. Anyone know if there's a provider out there that offers a good deal on a combined usenet access + seedbox service?
I would give tweaknews a try, i like their service. No seedbox tho.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Don't think this has been posted yet, I just noticed on reddit that Newsdemon is doing unlimited monthly accounts for $5/unlimited data. I just signed up, it's 1/2 what I'm paying supernews and it's a tiny bit faster too.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Softcox posted:

Don't think this has been posted yet, I just noticed on reddit that Newsdemon is doing unlimited monthly accounts for $5/unlimited data. I just signed up, it's 1/2 what I'm paying supernews and it's a tiny bit faster too.
Thanks for this, I'm all for saving money

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Softcox posted:

I'm giving this a go, I can always go back to Supernews :)

Still interested in finding a good blocksale too

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Softcox posted:

Are they a reseller for the same company that supernews is?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

demonachizer posted:

Are they a reseller for the same company that supernews is?

Newsdemon is a Highwinds reseller, Supernews is Giganews so no.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Weird because they both say their retention is the exact same number of days. That is what made me wonder.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Is there any sort of command-line usenet search tool that connects to the bigger search providers like nzbs.org? I spent a lot of my time working on the command line at it might be nice to just be able to download stuff as I think of it during the day while I'm working (with the added benefit of not having to like, you know, open a browser to nsbz.org during work). If not, would there be interest in one?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

ambushsabre posted:

Is there any sort of command-line usenet search tool that connects to the bigger search providers like nzbs.org? I spent a lot of my time working on the command line at it might be nice to just be able to download stuff as I think of it during the day while I'm working (with the added benefit of not having to like, you know, open a browser to nsbz.org during work). If not, would there be interest in one?

I've found myself wanting a tool like that on several occasions, but haven't had any luck when looking around. If you could search several sites at once and have the tool send your chosen nzb URLs directly to sab it'd be convenient as gently caress.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW

ambushsabre posted:

Not sure if you have an nzbs.org account, but its newsnab based and offers api access. This was enough for me to write a python scraper pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Anyone experiencing general slowness with Newsgroupdirect last few days? I can't seem to break 950 Kbps on anything, and of course theres the fact that tons of stuff is missing. I guess I need to try a backup server?