Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I didn't get very far in that game but it almost seemed like him and Katherine was an arranged by their parents relationship or something.

No, the big conflict in Catherine is that they've been together a long time but Vincent is basically stuck in "college mode" while Katherine isn't and they're reaching the point where they either have to break up or Vincent has to grow up.

It is correct that Vincent isn't really well-suited to being in a relationship with her, but basically what the story is trying to say is that Vincent isn't really suited to being in a relationship with anyone because he's a giant manchild. They could have done a better job with it for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spermando posted:

I find it weird that they decided to touch up the low-res models instead of just using the high quality ones all the time.

Yeah, it annoyed me with Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD, since that was the first MGS game to use different models for Snake in cutscenes and gameplay. The low-detail model was horribly noticeable when you looked at his face even on the PSP, so I don't know why they're still using it on a much more powerful and higher-def system.

Those low-detail character models in the Kingdom Hearts games can go die in a fire too. It's more because the fully animated, lip-synced ones looked so great, that switching back and forth in the same cutscene just looked shoddy. This was most noticeable with the Queen of Hearts in the Alice in Wonderland world, since her high quality model has Disney-quality animation, then they cut away, and in her next line of dialogue she has dead eyes and a painted-on mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Sg13HvtTY&t=206s

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Are you loving kidding me?! I am almost done with downloading uncharted 3 after several days of downloading. Roughly 15% left on the movies bit. I already have the singleplayer ready to install. Figured I'd install it now and now it is loving gone! It's no longer in my xmb. What the loving poo poo it took ages to download. :bang:

Do things just delete themselves if you leave them uninstalled?!

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 30, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Torabi posted:

Are you loving kidding me?! I am almost done with downloading uncharted 3 after several days of downloading. Roughly 15% left on the movies bit. I already have the singleplayer ready to install. Figured I'd install it now and now it is loving gone! It's no longer in my xmb. What the loving poo poo it took ages to download. :bang:

You need the free multiplayer section installed to have it show up in your games list.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Friendly Fire posted:

You need the free multiplayer section installed to have it show up in your games list.

But I didn't get to install it! The installation file is gone.

Unless I managed to install it and forget about it right after...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

What are the odds that Gran Turismo 6 gets so heavily delayed they say gently caress it and make it for the 4 later? Hasn't every single GT game actually released long after they said it would? I'm very interested to see how they improve but I don't know how seriously I can take "Q4 2013".

I know PD has a real bad track record, but in the case of GT6 I don't believe it will be delayed. The game is just a $60 DLC update to GT5.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Doesn't PS+ install stuff for you? That could have happened.

Torabi posted:

But I didn't get to install it! The installation file is gone.

Unless I managed to install it and forget about it right after...

Check your game data folder. See if it's in there.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Doesn't PS+ install stuff for you? That could have happened.

Check your game data folder. See if it's in there.

It's in there! My ps3 must've installed it when I put my ps3 into that turn off when done mode. Only that it installed the singleplayer which I had previously downloaded. Phew.. Thanks for the help.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the best Dynasty Warriors/similar game for the PS3? I haven't gotten to play any of them so I'd like to just grab the best one. Being able to buy it in the Sony store would be preferred. Thanks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Syrinxx posted:

What's the best Dynasty Warriors/similar game for the PS3? I haven't gotten to play any of them so I'd like to just grab the best one. Being able to buy it in the Sony store would be preferred. Thanks!
DW8 comes out in like two weeks, just wait. That's my pick for the best one so far, narrowly edging out Warriors Orochi 3.

edit: on July 16th. Also, the Warriors Orochi games rely on you having at least some background info on DW story- and character-wise, so that's another reason to play DW8 first.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Torabi posted:

It's in there! My ps3 must've installed it when I put my ps3 into that turn off when done mode. Only that it installed the singleplayer which I had previously downloaded. Phew.. Thanks for the help.

I've owned a PS3 for five or six years now and I still occasionally forget that it does this. I'll download something that either I forget is an add-on or that I think is standalone and be puzzled as to what happened when it disappears after installation. :saddowns:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

No, the big conflict in Catherine is that they've been together a long time but Vincent is basically stuck in "college mode" while Katherine isn't and they're reaching the point where they either have to break up or Vincent has to grow up.

I do kind of wish there'd been more scenes to make Katherine sympathetic early on. The way the game's framed she comes across as really bitchy for most of it and it kind of hurts the idea that Vincent cares about her.

EDIT: \/ As I said, it's mostly early on. About one half to two thirds of the way through the game, if you're going for her path, she seems to calm down a bit and acknowledge Vincent's trying. She just needed to show that she'd be willing to support him in his efforts to be more mature early on instead of a string of criticism (of course, their relationship is at the point where her actions are completely justified early on too.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 1, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mokinokaro posted:

I do kind of wish there'd been more scenes to make Katherine sympathetic early on. The way the game's framed she comes across as really bitchy for most of it and it kind of hurts the idea that Vincent cares about her.

...you know I'm struggling to come up with a time when Michelle Ruff voices someone who doesn't sound excessively bitchy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

...you know I'm struggling to come up with a time when Michelle Ruff voices someone who doesn't sound excessively bitchy.

Jill Valentine in Resident Evil Revelations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
One last comment about TLoU: David was Nolan North? Holy crap, that guy can really change his voice at will. :stare:

I honestly don't regret buying this game at full price at all.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

One last comment about TLoU: David was Nolan North? Holy crap, that guy can really change his voice at will. :stare:

Yeah, I was wondering when he'd show up. It wasn't until I saw the Making Of documentary that I actually found out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So, as someone that just got their first PS3, I have a couple questions that are kind of time-sensitive:

1) I'd like to play Little Big Planet. Should I just get 2, or both, or just 1?

2) I grabbed Uncharted 3 from PS+, and am planning on getting Uncharted 2. What about the first one, worth getting or ok to skip?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Play the Uncharted games in sequential order.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

UC1 has a great story and some frustrating gameplay. Tough it out, 2 and 3 really benefit from playing the first one, especially the awe you feel as the situations in the series get crazier.

epitasis posted:

Play the Uncharted games in sequential order.

There's a reason why this sentence is a running gag around the PS3 forums.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So, as someone that just got their first PS3, I have a couple questions that are kind of time-sensitive:

1) I'd like to play Little Big Planet. Should I just get 2, or both, or just 1?

You can probably just get LBP 2. If you really like it, grab LBP 1 and run through it too. There aren't as many bells and whistles to it, but it's similar enough and you can import all the goodies you earn (costumes -- including the sweet rear end dinosaur costume -- stickers, etc.) back in to LBP 2. LBP 2 does everything the first one did, but more and better.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Only 2 unless you really want 1's story levels for some reason. The user-created levels ( the heart of the game ) from 1 work with 2.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'd skip uncharted 1 if you get too frustrated/bored like I did. You don't have to suffer through it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

...! posted:

Only 2 unless you really want 1's story levels for some reason. The user-created levels ( the heart of the game ) from 1 work with 2.

All the official DLC levels from LBP1 work in 2, too. It's fantastic backwards compatibility. The unlocks you get from LBP1 are nice, though. More building stuff is always good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RBX posted:

I'd skip uncharted 1 if you get too frustrated/bored like I did. You don't have to suffer through it.
Just play it on easy for the story.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As the old thread title suggested, play the Uncharted games in order.

However, I would also add the caveat of not playing them all within such rapid succession. For as good games as they are, playing them back to back will probably leave you feeling bored or fatigued of the same-y gameplay and mechanics present in each one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I knew about playing them in order, but wondered if "2, then 3" would fall under that.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

For the people playing the Spartacus game, what's the easiest way to do one of those nifty finishing moves where I cut a dude's face off? So far I can't seem to get enough crowd points to warrant one. The game is fun, it wont set the world on fire or anything, but it has a bit of depth and some neat details, like the commentator going all "Jupiter's cock!" as you land a blow on your opponent. Also, if you played Assasin's Creed or any other Ubisoft game, you can get 10.000 silver pretty easily thanks to the Upoints or whatever they are called, so you can gently caress around with equipment and stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh, guess the 360 version doesn't have Uplay. I didn't notice it there.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I knew about playing them in order, but wondered if "2, then 3" would fall under that.

I think that's what "in order" means.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Last of Us spoiler chat:

Krad posted:

It was really heartbreaking to see Joel pretty much go bonkers, kill everyone and rob humanity of the only chance they had for a cure just because he finally bonded with Ellie after a whole year and got to see her as a daughter.

Some of the audio logs you find by one of the scientists in the hospital mention that even if they operate on her they may not be able to find a cure and her death will be for nothing. So it's not that black and white.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

It's mostly because the most well-known stuff she has been cast in, like Catherine and Bleach, are for characters that are meant to come off that way. Some people will say Yukari too, but screw them.

She has really done a lot of other cool roles, like Fujiko from Lupin III and Shanoa from Castlevania. I guess she's also Etna in the Disgaea series too.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Odd question, but how the hell am I supposed to play uncharted 3? I mean, I can get beyond the desynched audio (sort of) and the weird streaming issues... but how exactly do I get it to load the drat game? I quite love 5 minute black screens when the movies are supposed to play and the 10+ minute spinning ring is awesome...

Should I just return it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clear your PS3 cache. I had to do this in order to play Uncharted 3, because my PS3 kept crashing when playing that game. Returning it is also a good option too because to be perfectly honestly, Uncharted 3 sucked and I never bothered to finish it anyways. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GUI posted:

Last of Us spoiler chat:

Some of the audio logs you find by one of the scientists in the hospital mention that even if they operate on her they may not be able to find a cure and her death will be for nothing. So it's not that black and white.

But it is that black and white. It's literally the only chance that humanity has to go back to normal and not live crappy lives almost to the point of extinction. Even if it doesn't work, you can't say no to that. However, the real question is: was Ellie okay with this? Supposedly, she was. Before going to the hospital, Joel tells her that she doesn't have to do it, to which she replies, "it can't all be for nothing." But then we see in the final scene that she was actually feeling guilty about her friend who died while she didn't, so if guilt was what was driving her to throw her life away, Joel definitely made the right call.

This game had such good characters. Can't wait to see what ND does next (that is not Unharted).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" 500GB WD5000BPVT a good drive for the PS3?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I said come in! posted:

Clear your PS3 cache. I had to do this in order to play Uncharted 3, because my PS3 kept crashing when playing that game. Returning it is also a good option too because to be perfectly honestly, Uncharted 3 sucked and I never bothered to finish it anyways. :(

Aw man :(

Even after deleting the cache I still get the same issues. Oh well.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Blergh I finally finished downloading uncharted 3 but I can't play online. It just says some random Internet error and to check my NAT type which is already correct.

Edit:
Weird, started working all of a sudden.

Ak Gara posted:

Is the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" 500GB WD5000BPVT a good drive for the PS3?

That's the one that I bought last week. Works great!

Boar It fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 1, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vincent posted:

For the people playing the Spartacus game, what's the easiest way to do one of those nifty finishing moves where I cut a dude's face off? So far I can't seem to get enough crowd points to warrant one. The game is fun, it wont set the world on fire or anything, but it has a bit of depth and some neat details, like the commentator going all "Jupiter's cock!" as you land a blow on your opponent. Also, if you played Assasin's Creed or any other Ubisoft game, you can get 10.000 silver pretty easily thanks to the Upoints or whatever they are called, so you can gently caress around with equipment and stuff.

To do the executions you have to actually buy and equip them. They go in the boost slot on your gladiator. To actually do them you basically have to fight in an arena with a higher lethality. The higher the lethality the easier it is to get crowd points. There's even one area (the one with the rat symbol) that just maxes out the crowd rating constantly.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

de_dust posted:

Aw man :(

Even after deleting the cache I still get the same issues. Oh well.

Is your PS3 a Super Slim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mechanigma posted:

I've been so addicted to Catherine lately. So much so that I'm actually having recurring dreams about block pushing. I've been gunning for the platinum trophy and only have one thing left to do which is beat Axis Mundi, the final stage of Babel mode. I felt pretty good at having beaten the other stages because I'm usually not good at this sort of game, but I was finding this stage tough. Practically impossible. Today I found out that Axis Mundi in the english version of the game is bugged so that end-game block formations appear right from the beginning of the stage and aside from being difficult, there's not enough time to get past them before the falling floor catches up. It sucks that I've come this far and invested so much time only to be stopped by something that's out of my control.

Although the stage is unglitched in the Vincent/Katherine co-op mode so maybe this one final bit of meta-commentary on marriage and partnership :saddowns:

Do you mind if I inquire as to how you did this? I know you need a second controller to play co-op (even if it's fake co-op), but did you basically tag team between Vincent and Katherine? Like, Vincent moves a few blocks, then you pause and move Katherine?

• Locked thread