Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nayt
May 13, 2013

Mouzer posted:

My new ride. Fantastically well equipped and trying to shop around to see if i can nudge up the horsepower over 200.

I sell them, we just only sell about 3 a month and their usually to kids (who can't drive one to full potential) or Old people who like things like...the KIA Soul (lol). And many of our sales are into the St. Louis, Springfield, Kansas City areas. So I don't really ever see them in town.

I'm not a huge performance driver, so I'm always looking for feedback. They car is "quicker" than I thought it would be (same as the Santa Fe Sport 2.0T).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bobfather posted:

You do know that you can pull the back seat bottoms up 90 degrees towards the front seats, then pull the backrests of the back seats forward to have an almost completely flat surface, right?

Yeah. I know. Not has good as the easy fold down system available in other hatches. It also doesn't go completely flat and you have to remove the head rests. Its more of a minor complaint too though, I can definitely fit some stuff back there.

albear posted:

Good lord that is a hot hatch. (see what I did there?) Can you go more into the radio/bluetooth being wonky? What kinda issues do you have and what kinda phone do you use?

I have the lowest model line ST that comes with the lowest model line Focus radio set up-- imagine a tiny rear end screen with a bunch of buttons for it. I'll try to get a picture later. I also have a rooted galaxy nexus running cm 10.1. It connects fine but on my model line the voice reception is spotty and the system doesn't process very fast so sometimes pushing too many buttons will slow it down. It also won't stay in Bluetooth audio configuration and there is no button to get it there. So every time I get in the car I have to hit the voice command button and tell it to go to Bluetooth audio. That being said, its no way to judge the other model ST's that get an awesome touch screen set up that is very sexy. The audio quality itself is very nice, as with the rest of the interior. It, like complaint about the fold down seats, is small potatoes compared to how good the car is.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 28, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CharlesM posted:

This is the hot hatch I want, a Mazda 323 (Familia) GTR.

I wish my 323 was able to be that cool. If things worked out differently, I might have been able to keep it. :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh well. In a few years those will be eligible to be imported into the U.S. Not sure if there any many worth importing left, though.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Sorry for instagram and purposefully never photographing my 2nd gen from the front (whoops!!!)
Only mods so far and likely to stay that way are a JBR rear engine mount and an accessport.
If you want juvenile fun on a budget I can't think of anything that does it like this, I don't even really notice torque steer anymore :wth:! They don't seem to be flying off the lots you can typically get them under invoice (I'm seeing tech packages go for under 24k sticker, which god drat, I definitely would have done that if only because the head unit this year looks pretty good by OEM standards)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
No Mitsubishi Cyborg ZR love here?

Mitusbishi's answer to the Civic Type R with a 172hp 1.6L engine.

Never came to the states, and it's a shame. Very attractive hatch IMHO.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
VW lent Jason Cammisa a Scirocco R for Cincy this year, Cincy is the old Scirocco.org email list get together in Ohio. The red mk2 in the background is mine. I always said that I'd only ever drive a Scirocco as a daily driver. The new Scirocco was a really nice car - I'd take that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why can't we have nice things in the US?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bovril Delight posted:

People already bitch about the GTI being underpowered and over priced and it would cost quite a bit more than the GTI. There isn't a market that makes sense, unfortunately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

God is a gearhead and he quite clearly hates America.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People already bitch about the GTI being underpowered and over priced and it would cost quite a bit more than the GTI. There isn't a market that makes sense, unfortunately.

Yeah, I get it. The A3 sells like a turd due to the price. The Golf R sells pretty well though, strangely enough.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

sadnessboner posted:

I've been reading every review on this thing I can, could you link something that mentions the torsion beam? It's the first I've ever heard of it being an issue

quote:

The Fiesta’s basic front-strut, rear-twist-beam suspension layout is retained, but with major differences.

Meanwhile, a thicker front anti-roll bar pushes more of the roll to the back, which, along with computerized torque-vectoring control that brakes the inside front wheel in turns, helps the ST corner more sharply and with less understeer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ford-fiesta-st-hatchback-first-drive-review

Understeer really isn't an issue, but the rear suspension really falls apart as soon as you start linking turns. I have a Mazda2 (lol definitely not a hot hatch) which is the same exact chassis as the Fiesta, and the car is fine to drive and it handles really well for what it is. It's super engaging and is just as fun as a Miata to toss into corners; however, when you start giving it steering inputs in opposite directions, it starts to fall apart.

The best way to describe it is lag steer. When you turn the wheel, the rear suspension will shift to the outside and then twist accordingly. The issue arises when the rear suspension is fully shifted to the outside, and then you initiate a turn on that side and the rear suspension has to shift all the way to the other side. I.e. - Turn right, rear suspension shifts full left. Turn left, rear suspension has to travel from full left to full right. It's obnoxious because you steer in for a turn, wait, and then the car initiates the turn like a second after you put in the steering input.

It's an incredibly specific knock against the chassis, but I got a boatload of it when I went to Deal's Gap last year and less so at VIR. It's disappointing that Ford has had a magic suspension that works really well on the shelf for a while now, and they looked at the original VW GTI and went "yeah, that's the ticket!"

wikipedias posted:

Engineers for the Focus, including Richard Parry-Jones, developed a class-leading, space-saving independent multi-link rear suspension, marketed as Control Blade suspension, combining the packaging of a trailing arm, with the geometry of a double wishbone suspension . The system was developed from that used in the CDW27 Ford Mondeo estate, but with various modifications to make it simpler and cheaper to build and therefore economically viable on a mass-market vehicle.

Where many competitors in the compact class, or small family car (European) class, used the less expensive non-independent twist beam suspension, Control Blade offered enhanced elasto-kinematic performance, i.e., strong body control, sharp and accurate steering regardless of the car's attitude, and an absorbent and quiet ride over bumps.

Unlike conventional multi-link suspension, Control Blade features a wide, simple, uniform thickness, pressed steel trailing arm with hub carrier — taking the place of two longitudinal locating rods, eliminating an expensive cast knuckle, and offering the same level of body control — with a lower center of gravity, reduced road noise, and at lower production cost. The long rear lateral arm controls toe, a pair of shorter front lateral arms, vertically above each other, control the camber, and the Control Blade reacts to brake and traction loads.

In testing the suspension in 2000, Motor Trend writer Jack Keebler noted "The Focus' average speed of 62.6 mph through our slalom makes it faster around the cones than a $62,000 Jaguar XJ8L and a $300,000 Bentley Continental. The impression is of having plenty of wheel travel for gobbling the larger stuff and big-car, full-frame isolation when encountering expansion joints and smaller road imperfections."

Following the 1998 introduction of Control Blade suspension and popularization by the Focus, other manufacturers (e.g., Volkswagen with the Golf V) began offering multi-link design rear suspensions in the compact class, or small family car (European) class.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

0toShifty posted:

VW lent Jason Cammisa a Scirocco R for Cincy this year, Cincy is the old Scirocco.org email list get together in Ohio. The red mk2 in the background is mine. I always said that I'd only ever drive a Scirocco as a daily driver. The new Scirocco was a really nice car - I'd take that.

So is this how the Durocco raced it? I seen the video was uploaded recently to his YouTube.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Do not own but would love to have one, my favorite hot hatch.

Volvo C30

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Do not own but would love to have one, my favorite hot hatch.

Volvo C30

I really wanted one but it actually sucks. I wanted to like it so bad, and I am a Swedish Car Apologist, but it just... ugh. Volvo makes bitchin seats, and the exterior styling is pretty neat. That's about the only positive to the vehicle.

In news nobody cares about, picking up the new vehicle this afternoon! I will take some pictures and also do a review of how stupid MFT is.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really wanted one but it actually sucks. I wanted to like it so bad, and I am a Swedish Car Apologist, but it just... ugh. Volvo makes bitchin seats, and the exterior styling is pretty neat. That's about the only positive to the vehicle.

In news nobody cares about, picking up the new vehicle this afternoon! I will take some pictures and also do a review of how stupid MFT is.

Let me see that interior!! MFT isn't bad, it's the ST1's 1990's radio dash set up that is bad (aka the not MFT one). It doesn't look bad its just...wonky. I wanna see what yours looks like. Did you get recaros?

And also yeah I looked at those Volvo things and they look cool but loving spending $35k plus for something that isn't anywhere near competitive with the ST/MS3/GTI let alone the things in its price range (Golf R, STI)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Let me see that interior!! MFT isn't bad, it's the ST1's 1990's radio dash set up that is bad (aka the not MFT one). It doesn't look bad its just...wonky. I wanna see what yours looks like. Did you get recaros?

And also yeah I looked at those Volvo things and they look cool but loving spending $35k plus for something that isn't anywhere near competitive with the ST/MS3/GTI let alone the things in its price range (Golf R, STI)

You can get one pretty drat well equipped for about 30. The price is competitive in theory, the car just isn't.

I got the ST3 solely for the Recaros (and heated seats). They are great seats. The rest was just gravy. I think I have a '13 about as loaded as you can get - ST3 with a moonroof. MFT is relatively easy to figure out if you sit down for a bit and fiddle with it. It is a little tough for me to reach the top right corner from my preferred driving position. Haven't even tried fiddling with Nav much. Sync is really easy to use provided you understand the command structure. That's way better than using MFT as far as I can tell. I originally test drove the ST1 and I agree, the dash was designed for MFT not whatever standard radio is in the ST1. The steering wheel controls are terribly integrated with MFT. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, if I get a chance.

I'm coming from a BMW 1-series, so there are some fit and finish things that just don't compare. The ST is basically taking a Focus as upmarket as possible, whereas the 1 was taking BMW as downmarket as possible. You end up with some bits in the 1 which were way nicer than they should have been, and some things in the Focus which are way less nice than they should be. Car drives nicely. Everything's got to settle in a little - clutch engagement is still a little bit of an adjustment and raw, and the brakes are a bit grabby in a bad way. It's quick. Haven't really had the chance to beat on it yet.

Is there any way to disable the upshift indicator? That thing is stupid.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Personally I love the grabbiness of the brakes. I do agree the clutch engagement is a bit bipolar though.

No way that I know of to disable the up shift indicator.

There's a newish service bulletin out from Ford that replaces the engine motor mounts and some of the clutch lines. People have hypothesized that the clutch line changes might slightly increase the engagement zone for the clutch, but not many people have gotten the service done yet.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bobfather posted:

Personally I love the grabbiness of the brakes. I do agree the clutch engagement is a bit bipolar though.

No way that I know of to disable the up shift indicator.

There's a newish service bulletin out from Ford that replaces the engine motor mounts and some of the clutch lines. People have hypothesized that the clutch line changes might slightly increase the engagement zone for the clutch, but not many people have gotten the service done yet.

The rear motor mount changes, whether dealership or aftermarket, are supposed to be essential. I don't wail on mine, but supposedly if you do, it will prevent a lot of wheel skip and clunk. You can by a cobb rmm for like $300, or challenge your dealership on a recall. Some people on focusst.org are getting theres replaced easily, some have to sit in the car while a mechanic flogs it :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can get one pretty drat well equipped for about 30. The price is competitive in theory, the car just isn't.

I got the ST3 solely for the Recaros (and heated seats). They are great seats. The rest was just gravy. I think I have a '13 about as loaded as you can get - ST3 with a moonroof. MFT is relatively easy to figure out if you sit down for a bit and fiddle with it. It is a little tough for me to reach the top right corner from my preferred driving position. Haven't even tried fiddling with Nav much. Sync is really easy to use provided you understand the command structure. That's way better than using MFT as far as I can tell. I originally test drove the ST1 and I agree, the dash was designed for MFT not whatever standard radio is in the ST1. The steering wheel controls are terribly integrated with MFT. I'll take some pictures tomorrow, if I get a chance.

I'm coming from a BMW 1-series, so there are some fit and finish things that just don't compare. The ST is basically taking a Focus as upmarket as possible, whereas the 1 was taking BMW as downmarket as possible. You end up with some bits in the 1 which were way nicer than they should have been, and some things in the Focus which are way less nice than they should be. Car drives nicely. Everything's got to settle in a little - clutch engagement is still a little bit of an adjustment and raw, and the brakes are a bit grabby in a bad way. It's quick. Haven't really had the chance to beat on it yet.

Is there any way to disable the upshift indicator? That thing is stupid.

Would you be willing to say what you paid?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Octopus Magic posted:

Hahaha awesome, now I have to research what I could do to my piece of poo poo base model Mitsubishi Mirage to get it like this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Octopus Magic posted:

Its really only an SiR competitor. Probably the best one out of VZ-R and FXGT though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GTI loses bench-racing wise but I have never found it to be underpowered. The clutch and stick are not great, but power isn't awful. The next one will have slightly more power (like 220?) and the performance pack version will have 230, I think.

VW has been underrating the MK6 GTI for a while - APR dyno'd it at 222/222 instead of the 200/207 reported. It certainly doesn't feel like it's down 60 some HP on the ST, that's for drat sure.

The Mk7 is bumped to 220/258 with the power pack being 230/270 plus larger brakes and a real limited slip up front, and both will come with summers. I really love my Mk6 and chose it over the ST even knowing it wasn't as fast, but by all accounts so far the Mk7 is going to set the bar again. C&D got a 5.6 0-60 out of a manual GTI. DSG is still going to be a couple clicks quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kl8AP6CoyI

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volkswagen-gti-vs-2013-ford-focus-st-comparison-test

I'm really excited to see how the new WRX turns out, and also if a Mazdaspeed version of that GORGEOUS new Mazda3 comes out. Hatches rule.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Would you be willing to say what you paid?

I don't mind. $27,297 including destination and a $1000 incentive. That is not including tax, title etc since that varies state to state so I figured it wasn't necessarily relevant. Invoice $27,653 before incentive. TMV says $27,5 after incentive is good for my area.

I didn't play hardball too much with them, but the dealer I worked with was way under stair-step target for June and I think that helped work a deal. I probably kicked them a few extra bucks. It was also a '13 - I'm not sure '14s are on lots yet.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
can I play?

old pics from before I got the new lights

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Fiesta ST has an interesting sibling, at least in the UK/Euro market - you can spec a Zetec S with the 1.0 Ecoboost, giving you a very similar chassis and 125bhp in a car that's under 100g/km on CO2 emissions and will do ~60mpg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

can I play?

Is that a wrap, plastidip or paint?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that a wrap, plastidip or paint?

Pretty sure I remember the original post and it was a wrap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also wrapped his STI and bike to match.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I want to wrap my GTI in Montana Green.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Holdbrooks posted:

can I play?

Phoenix is in love with these cars. I see them everywhere (though, none look nearly as good as yours).

My new Hot Hatch.

Terribly hot these last few weeks, in fact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't mind. $27,297 including destination and a $1000 incentive. That is not including tax, title etc since that varies state to state so I figured it wasn't necessarily relevant. Invoice $27,653 before incentive. TMV says $27,5 after incentive is good for my area.

I didn't play hardball too much with them, but the dealer I worked with was way under stair-step target for June and I think that helped work a deal. I probably kicked them a few extra bucks. It was also a '13 - I'm not sure '14s are on lots yet.

I'm really having trouble not trading my MS6 in towards an ST. The local Ford dealer offered me an incredible trade in and I have enough in savings to cover the remaining balance.

Anyways, the first episode of Top Gear series 20 opens with a segment on Hot Hatches. This thread is topical! TG absolutely loves the Fiest ST and man does it look amazing in the two door model.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 2, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Hi there! I'm the best car to ever come out of the good graces of Chrysler Corporation!

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Fiesta ST finally got a release schedule in Australia (September). After being hyped up by the latest Top Gear episode, it can't come soon enough

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bob A Feet posted:

*http://www.mrt-direct.com/2013-ford-focus-eco-flow-exhaust.html

The only complaints I have are that the stock radio/bluetooth computer is wonky as hell, there is no dead pedal surface (got allweather mats for that though), and that it is a blast to drive so I get awful mileage figures. I mean going from a Fit to this is like a kick in the dick on mileage.

I want to like the ST, but every picture someone posts that isn't from an ad/promotional has awful hood panel gap. What gives, Ford?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I want to like the ST, but every picture someone posts that isn't from an ad/promotional has awful hood panel gap. What gives, Ford?

For some unknown reason the hood gap is adjustable. That was right after I got it and didn't know it adjusted. I'll try to get another pic. Not as bad now.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I even rode home from the hospital when I was born in a hot* hatch.

*well, by early 80's standards it was hot - 5.0 V8 with 150hp.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

MetaJew posted:

Not to mention the lack of the 3 door variant =(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mafoose posted:

Not to mention the lack of the 3 door variant =(

I'm okay with no 3 door Focus, the 5 door looks pretty good. It's the lack of a 3 door Fiesta that bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

I'm okay with no 3 door Focus, the 5 door looks pretty good. It's the lack of a 3 door Fiesta that bugs me.

I thought the Fiesta ST that was coming to the states would be a 3 dooor. That's a bummer!