Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Hogburto posted:

You just want it to stop downloading? When I hit pause, it automatically stops downloading ahead (and resumes downloading on play). HTML5, if it matters.
If you must have it play up to a point but also not let it download anything past that point, you're out of luck but that's a pretty niche circumstance isn't it?

Late on this, but for me when I hit the stop button it will keep buffering the video until it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Skuto posted:

"Please enter an encryption key that has at least 256 bits of (random) entropy."

I don't think adding such an option is a good plan. To get an idea, here's a page that estimates the strength of user-chosen keys: http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php

Passwords are really beyond terrible at securing things.

Well, if you don't trust the user to select a good password, just print out the encryption key and tell the user to write it down because he will need it to recover his bookmarks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wheany posted:

Well, if you don't trust the user to select a good password, just print out the encryption key and tell the user to write it down because he will need it to recover his bookmarks.

You're continuing to make the conflation of Sync with a backup. It is not a backup.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheany posted:

I thought it already suggested this when you set it up? I did not do it and now have a dead laptop that no longer synchs

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I thought it already suggested this when you set it up? I did not do it and now have a dead laptop that no longer synchs

Nah, I just ran through the setup process again, it doesn't mention the recovery key at all. If you look at the Sync page in the options, there's a "My Recovery Key" item in the "Manage Account" menu, and if you ever actually find and click it, the resulting dialog only speaks of the importance of the recovery key in terms of multiple devices.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You're continuing to make the conflation of Sync with a backup. It is not a backup.

Well, I can't sync Firefox on my work computer with my home computer if I don't have the home computer on my workplace and if I didn't know I had to write down an encryption key.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Late on this, but for me when I hit the stop button it will keep buffering the video until it's done.
If you're also in the HTML5 mode, I don't know why it's more well-behaved for me than you. My best guess is the video playback settings page. If it's buffering as much as possible, maybe you clicked "I have a slow connection" at some point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Trying to read this page http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2013/06/i-was-manic-pixie-dream-girl has crashed Aurora twice on my Xoom tablet.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Aleph Null posted:

Trying to read this page http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2013/06/i-was-manic-pixie-dream-girl has crashed Aurora twice on my Xoom tablet.

Go to about :crashes (without the space before the :, SA is adding that - help). Click the top link. In the page that comes up, scroll down to "Bugzilla".

It will either tell you the bug that corresponds with your problem, or offer you to enter one in the "Firefox for Android" component.

Bugs that aren't known or filed are very unlikely to get fixed. By filing, you also let the developers know how to contact a person that's actually having the problem.

(This isn't specific to Firefox for Android BTW, but there are much less users on Android than on Windows, making it way more important to report any bug you see)

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 1, 2013

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Is there a way to disable certain extensions in Private Browsing mode? Not all just specific ones.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Skuto posted:

Go to about :crashes (without the space before the :, SA is adding that - help). Click the top link. In the page that comes up, scroll down to "Bugzilla".

It will either tell you the bug that corresponds with your problem, or offer you to enter one in the "Firefox for Android" component.

Bugs that aren't known or filed are very unlikely to get fixed. By filing, you also let the developers know how to contact a person that's actually having the problem.

(This isn't specific to Firefox for Android BTW, but there are much less users on Android than on Windows, making it way more important to report any bug you see)

I reported it.
It looks like it didn't pull in any information from the local crash report. Is there an easy way to send that?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is there a decent Twitter reader for Firefox now since Echofon stopped supporting their Firefox version (like 9 months ago, apparently)? The last available version is giving me a "Can't login to Twitter. (410 Gone (account_verify_credentials))" error when I try to load new tweets.

Edit: Preferably something with a small pop-up overlay that displays the tweets rather than a sidebar.

Edit2: Found a fixed version of Echofon since they won't fix it themselves. [link]

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Okay, is there any way to restore Firefox UI to the same settings as it used in version 21 and earlier? Yes, I know about layout.css.devPixelsPerPx, and it does work for zooming the actual elements (although I haven't found an exact 1-1 zoom, but that's not too important), except zooming out to get the UI elements at the right size makes the font way too small to the point where it's almost unreadable. I'm really annoyed that if I want to comfortably read the text I have to keep layout.css.devPixelsPerPx at a setting where the number of tabs/bookmarks showing up is smaller than I'm used to, leads to extra scrolling and my tabs/bookmarks are already crowded enough without that added on. For reference, I'm used to the UI and UI images to be displayed at ~1.15 (in layout.css.devPixelsPerPx), and text at 1.3, which is a pretty huge difference.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That's something I would like to know too: how to make ff22 look _exactly_ the same as 21? Same font, icon and image sizes everywhere, ui & webpages. Currently using 21 since the new, broken system is completely awful.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Using FF22: If I create a new tab, the caret automatically goes to the end of the URL in the nav bar, so instead of being to one-click select the text (and start typing on your keyboard to enter a new site or search term), it just adds whatever you type to the URL of your homepage.

Is there a way to have the text of the URL stay selected after making a new tab?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

whiskas posted:

Using FF22: If I create a new tab, the caret automatically goes to the end of the URL in the nav bar, so instead of being to one-click select the text (and start typing on your keyboard to enter a new site or search term), it just adds whatever you type to the URL of your homepage.

Is there a way to have the text of the URL stay selected after making a new tab?

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but Super Start (the best newtab extension I've found) automatically puts the text cursor in the (empty) addressbar, so you can just start typing your search term/url immediately upon creating a new tab without having to click on anything https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/super-start/?src=search

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gerudo Rivera posted:

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but Super Start (the best newtab extension I've found) automatically puts the text cursor in the (empty) addressbar, so you can just start typing your search term/url immediately upon creating a new tab without having to click on anything https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/super-start/?src=search
That's how Firefox works by default, I guess he's talking about opening links in foreground tabs?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
So, I'm having a problem with Firefox and I don't even know where to start with this. I don't know if it would be more appropriate to post in the Tech Support forum or not.

I reinstalled Firefox (removing everything) today for the second time to fix a major crashing problem. From what I can tell, flash basically kills the browser for me, making pages unstable and usually ends up crashing it fairly quickly. Pages turn white (or black) for seconds before they look normal again from scrolling or switching to them. Before reinstalling, Firefox would randomly freeze for a few seconds if I used the Shift key (typing, or switching tabs). I thought this might have to do with the tree-style tabs extension, so I removed that and used "Vertical Tabs" this time.

I regularly have a lot of tabs open at once (probably close to 100, sometimes more), but there's no reason that Firefox now shouldn't be able to handle what Firefox and Chrome was able to do years ago.

Since I reinstalled I pretty much ran into the same issue within 15 minutes, and when I tried to restart from disabling all other extensions, Firefox closed but the process had to be terminated manually. This has been going on for at least 4 months, so it's not related to the newest Firefox or Flash version.

Here's what I wrote on a previous post regarding my crash reports. Now, when I go to the reports from 1-2 weeks ago they simply 'can't be found'.

quote:

All of my submitted crash reports (I don't always submit them, but there's a list of 50 here) tell me that they were 'held back from submission' and declined as a 'form of throttling'... https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/about/throttling

Since the last crash, I disabled everything but Adblock Plus, Flash, and Vertical Tabs. I'm open to any help here, but I'll probably end up switching to Chrome. I only switched over once Chrome got rid of their perfectly functional vertical tabs, and now someone's made an extension that more or less replicates that by docking a sidebar (Sidewise, it's called), so I'll switch to that if FF crashes again.

Specs:
Firefox 22.0 - addons: Adblock Plus, Vertical Tabs
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, SP1, updated
i5-2500K, 8GB RAM
All extensions are updated, all but the addons above and Flash are now disabled.

No other programs, browsers, etc have unexplained issues. CPU usage never had an issue except for spikes from my mentioned Shift key problem, and RAM usage is normal (1-2GB from Firefox).

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 3, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Make absolutely sure you have the latest video drivers (if an AMD card, the latest Catalyst Beta drivers) and the latest version of Flash from the Adobe Labs website. If that doesn't do it, use the Reset Firefox feature mentioned in the OP. Also, do confirm you have no non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security software isntalled (TrendMicro's OfficeScan for example will cause exactly this behavior).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Flash: 11.7.700.224

Video card drivers are not something I considered, so I will update those.

I am not running any antivirus/firewall/security software while I normally use Firefox.

After disabling the various extensions (Silverlight, Java, Shockwave) it hasn't crashed yet, but it's probably too soon to tell.

edit: 45 minutes now and it looks like some extension is the culprit, because I've put heavy strain on the browser and it's running fine. I'm going to update those drivers, and re-enable everything.

edit2: re-enabled my add-ons, as well as Java and Shockwave, Firefox crashed in about 2 minutes -- probably the amount of time it took to load all my tabs.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 3, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
If I'm viewing a SA forum page with a load of embedded video, any flash video loaded in other tabs will crash or the embedded videos will crash even if I've already fully loaded the page.

For example, I could fully load a page on cute animals with 10-15 embedded youtube videos. They'll all show their thumbnail etc and I will open one in a new tab - either every embedded video crashes or the newly loaded youtube tab crashes.

Any ideas what I can do to prevent this?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

Flash: 11.7.700.224

Video card drivers are not something I considered, so I will update those.

I am not running any antivirus/firewall/security software while I normally use Firefox.

After disabling the various extensions (Silverlight, Java, Shockwave) it hasn't crashed yet, but it's probably too soon to tell.

edit: 45 minutes now and it looks like some extension is the culprit, because I've put heavy strain on the browser and it's running fine. I'm going to update those drivers, and re-enable everything.

edit2: re-enabled my add-ons, as well as Java and Shockwave, Firefox crashed in about 2 minutes -- probably the amount of time it took to load all my tabs.

Disable them one by one and use it for a bit, you're not gonna work out whats causing the problems doing it this way.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Disable them one by one and use it for a bit, you're not gonna work out whats causing the problems doing it this way.

That is basically what I did. I disabled Java and Shockwave and it hasn't crashed since.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Everything looks either too big or too small :cheers:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

barbarianbob posted:

Everything looks either too big or too small :cheers:

Yep, I've gotten text and webpage sizes to an acceptable level but my toolbar is huge and blurry.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Aleph Null posted:

I reported it.
It looks like it didn't pull in any information from the local crash report. Is there an easy way to send that?

I don't really understand what you're saying. If you follow the instructions I gave, the very first thing it does is to put a link in the bug "This bug was filed from the Socorro interface and is
report xxxx".

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
With a lot of the frustrations of 21 now in the past, a new one has materialized: the precious Something Awfuler greasemonkey script no longer works. :cry: I can't adequately express just how much more convenient this makes navigating SA and since it's not been updated in 3 years and I don't know the SA name of the goon that made the script, I'm quite stuck. Fortunately he has the source posted in the link above, but I don't know thing one about scripting.

Might anybody be able to help? I'm desperate enough to go back to Firefox 21, but that would only be delaying the inevitable upgrade.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Skuto posted:

I don't really understand what you're saying. If you follow the instructions I gave, the very first thing it does is to put a link in the bug "This bug was filed from the Socorro interface and is
report xxxx".

When I sign in to Bugzilla / Persona, it takes me out of the crash information page and loads a crash stat page for all reported crashes and if I reload about :crashes it signs me out of Bugzilla / Persona.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In Firefox 23 beta, the browser.tabs.autoHide in about:config doesn't seem to be working - I have it set to true but the tab bar remains open when a window only has one tab in it.

Did they change the value to control this behavior or something? It's really annoying.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-tab-bar-with-one-tab/

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

This pisses me off to no end. The last thing keeping me using firefox over chrome is the customizability so that I can use the browser the way I want to. I truly don't care what a ui expert things is the better way to look at a browser. I'm not demanding my way be the only way, just that options remain. I think I'll just turn off auto updates with ff22.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, like it or not, the attitude seems to be becoming that customization and re-inclusion of 'unpopular' functionality is the realm of the add-on. Fortunately, there are other people who like a vanishing, empty tab bar, or a single-image view that doesn't look like a lovely lightbox, and have made add-ons to accommodate those preferences.

I'm concerned about them axing Panorama, because I'm apparently one of the handful of people who use it, but they've already said its functionality is being ported to an add-on for those few of us out there.

Edit: Alereon explained it in a much more cogent, much less accusatory manner.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Aquila posted:

This pisses me off to no end. The last thing keeping me using firefox over chrome is the customizability so that I can use the browser the way I want to. I truly don't care what a ui expert things is the better way to look at a browser. I'm not demanding my way be the only way, just that options remain. I think I'll just turn off auto updates with ff22.
Firefox's customizability advantage over Chrome doesn't come from having an Options menu full of page after page of confusing settings nobody uses, it comes from the extensibility that add-ons offer. This change wasn't made because some UX designer decided it was the right way, it was made because there are significantly more people who toggled it, saw their browser break, then complained/contacted support than there were people who actually used the feature. There were also some technical reasons why preventing hiding of the tab bar can simplify things and improve performance, and the overall goal of having fewer settings (by eliminating the ones telemetry shows aren't used).

It's easy to say that you shouldn't be inconvenienced because other people change settings they don't understand and can't fix it, but the reality is that anyone who actually cares can just install the extension to get the old behavior back. This doesn't really cost you much at all, but leaving the option in costs a lot more for impacted users and the support organizations that help them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Aquila posted:

I truly don't care what a ui expert
Most of what they think is bullshitbullshit ~their opinion~ bullshitbullshit anyway.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Wow. It is incredible to read the resentment towards removing that option. I much prefer seeing the devs be able to iterate quickly. If this means that removing an option, which has the ability to 'break' the browser for new Firefox users, then so be it.

It seems that most of the reactions to the Mozilla team lately are of contempt. "Oh Chrome is much faster", "Chrome doesn't degrade over time", "Why can't Firefox get better?", "What is Mozilla doing?". The Mozilla team analyzes what is holding them back and make decisions on how to improve the browser for the better. The public doesn't see this as progress, instead they see it as a personal attack on their browser freedom.

If Firefox is heralded for it's customization, why can't the add-on that restores this functionality be seen as part of Firefox's great customization? Let the browser be a streamlined and performant vehicle for the add-ons.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It would be nice if the browser could scan a user's about:config the first time after the patch and point them to the replacement add-on if it saw that they had the 'hide the tab bar' flag turned on. Savvy people might know about the change ahead of time, but the moms and dads of the internet who customized their interface years ago probably wouldn't even know where to start looking if their browser changed itself like that on them.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

The Dark One posted:

It would be nice if the browser could scan a user's about :config the first time after the patch and point them to the replacement add-on if it saw that they had the 'hide the tab bar' flag turned on. Savvy people might know about the change ahead of time, but the moms and dads of the internet who customized their interface years ago probably wouldn't even know where to start looking if their browser changed itself like that on them.

That is an excellent suggestion. A great way to migrate from deprecated browser settings to the add-on replacements.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Bieeardo posted:

I'm concerned about them axing Panorama, because I'm apparently one of the handful of people who use it, but they've already said its functionality is being ported to an add-on for those few of us out there.

Wait wait wait. WHAT? :cry:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tivac posted:

Wait wait wait. WHAT? :cry:

Hold me. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=836758

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

jink posted:

That is an excellent suggestion. A great way to migrate from deprecated browser settings to the add-on replacements.

This would have been especially useful with the DPI clusterfuck.