Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Unsummon takes effect after a creature has resolved, so "on entering the battlefield" abilities will still resolve, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Emron posted:

Unsummon takes effect after a creature has resolved, so "on entering the battlefield" abilities will still resolve, right?

Yes. That's right.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Emron posted:

Correct.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gannyGrabber posted:

Man turn to frog is the glitchiest bullshit ever. Had my aegis angel making my runescarred demon indestructible, dude blocks with some bird or whatever and turns to frog making RSD a 1/1 and losing all abilities, and he end up in the graveyard, despite the fact that indestructible should still apply.

It's probably using the new rule for indestructibility that takes effect in two weeks (just like it uses the new legend rule.) Indestructibility used to just be a trait -- a thing something just *was*. But now it's a keyworded ability which means ability-erasing cards like TTF will blank it for the turn.

If you could flicker Aegis Angel, you could reapply the ability since it'll go according to timestampm but if you could flicker it you;d probably rather flicker the demon anyway to get another tutor.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Or ovinize. Man, gotta love ovinize.

Edit: do we know how promo cards are being released?

Team THEOLOGY fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 1, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

melon man posted:

I've had a lot of fun running encounters for people online. Anybody have any particularly entertaining deck ideas (awful deck names are preferred)? Cards have to be ones you'd normally open in sealed, otherwise no limits.

Here's some pictures.

This owns man! Can you even win (besides with the slowest mill ever) with the weather deck or is it all clouds?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's probably using the new rule for indestructibility that takes effect in two weeks (just like it uses the new legend rule.) Indestructibility used to just be a trait -- a thing something just *was*. But now it's a keyworded ability which means ability-erasing cards like TTF will blank it for the turn.

If you could flicker Aegis Angel, you could reapply the ability since it'll go according to timestampm but if you could flicker it you;d probably rather flicker the demon anyway to get another tutor.

Speaking to this situation, someone frogged my Fiend Hunter and was annoyed that it didn't release his angel back to him.

My logic was that the card is "exiled" and attached to that Fiend Hunter (when Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield, un-exile exiled creature), so since he never left, the conditions for that monsters release weren't satisfied, even if the frog spell wipes those abilities.

Speaking to that interaction, I was thinking that I should have thrown the frog at him hoping the Fiend Hunter would get killed, since I figured it would leave the angel permanently exiled, anyone have any clue how that'd work?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, sealed hacked already? Ahahahaha.

Finally finished unlocking Dimir. Gonna test out this build and see what happens with it. Ended up leaving both Threads of Disloyalty in as a meta call, since everyone's playing Mind Maze and Avacyn's Glory.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

Speaking to this situation, someone frogged my Fiend Hunter and was annoyed that it didn't release his angel back to him.

My logic was that the card is "exiled" and attached to that Fiend Hunter (when Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield, un-exile exiled creature), so since he never left, the conditions for that monsters release weren't satisfied, even if the frog spell wipes those abilities.

Speaking to that interaction, I was thinking that I should have thrown the frog at him hoping the Fiend Hunter would get killed, since I figured it would leave the angel permanently exiled, anyone have any clue how that'd work?

Yeah, that's how it should work, at least. It dies as a creature with no abilities, so the return to play effect never triggers.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

legoman727 posted:

So, sealed hacked already? Ahahahaha.

Deck editing was possible within the first day. The DotP games have been historically easy to start modding, it's just a matter of putting the work in to making custom decks and whatnot.

I'm unsure if traditional deck editing (i.e. unpacking .WAD, editing deck's XML, repacking .WAD) will allow you to play with a "modded" Sealed deck pool online though.

melon man
Aug 24, 2008

melonman-chan~!

Davincie posted:

This owns man! Can you even win (besides with the slowest mill ever) with the weather deck or is it all clouds?

My "wincon" was a singleton Elixir of Immortality. I'll drink to that. :unsmigghh:

"Umberger" posted:

I'm unsure if traditional deck editing (i.e. unpacking .WAD, editing deck's XML, repacking .WAD) will allow you to play with a "modded" Sealed deck pool online though.

Not quite, it requires somewhat more finesse and some hex editing. It's a good thing they used the same exact algorithm to hash the sealed pool that they used in all the previous games, you could bust it open with the same tools as D13. :v:

melon man fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 1, 2013

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I played Safe Passage on my opponents turn before he used his Xathrid Demons ability (sacrifice your creature at beginning of your upkeep, deal damage to enemy based on power of creature) and it still did damage to me, is that meant to happen?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

I played Safe Passage on my opponents turn before he used his Xathrid Demons ability (sacrifice your creature at beginning of your upkeep, deal damage to enemy based on power of creature) and it still did damage to me, is that meant to happen?

Xathrid Demon causes life loss, it does not deal damage. Thus it is not preventable with Safe Passage.

Edit:

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 1, 2013

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

q_k posted:

For the Sliver challenge both ways work. The main point is you need to do enough damage with 3 things getting blocked so you need double strike.

Wait, this actually works? gently caress. I beat it by using Protean Hulk and Culling Dais to grab Predator Dragon, having it eat the 2 Virulent Slivers, then Crib Swapping the Gargoyle to swing for 14 but now that all seems like a lot of overthinking.

edit: Realized I'm thinking of the wrong challenge, so maybe I actually played it right

Vorless fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 1, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vorless posted:

Wait, this actually works? gently caress. I beat it by using Protean Hulk and Culling Dais to grab Predator Dragon, having it eat the 2 Virulent Slivers, then Crib Swapping the Gargoyle to swing for 14 but now that all seems like a lot of overthinking.

edit: Realized I'm thinking of the wrong challenge, so maybe I actually played it right

Wow that's hella different than I did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd really like to build a Blue/Red deck based around Young Pyromancer, but I'm too lazy to keep making PS3 profiles until I actually get more than one of him and decent Blue spells in the same pool.

Every pool I've opened so far is like "Well I could do this... or I could splash Black". This pool is pretty dumb that way.

I did make a fun Naya deck that has enough dudes to play around Black (unless they drop Grave Tits which they always do...)

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wow that's hella different than I did it.

Just to clarify, my post refers to Sliver Infiltration, but the post I quoted is in reference to Sliver Strike Team, two different challenges. I had them mixed up in my head and didn't realize my mistake until I had already posted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, but the solution you described? I did the one that's actually from way differently too. There's like one step you mentioned that was similar to mine.

I used Protean Hulk to dump a bunch of poisonous slivers out and that blue spell to tap down a few guys and Heart Sliver to hasten them.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 1, 2013

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just found another solution for the last challenge.

Brainstorm up the Protean Hulk and sac him as in other solutions, but grab the 6 CMC black transmute creature. Its ability brings the opponent down to 8. Then cycle your Homing Sliver for Blades of Velis Vel and cast it on your Kraken, who gets through for 8 and drops them.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
That's the solution I used. I kinda wish this game had more challenges like that one.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I grabbed the haste and poison slivers with protean hulk, and used the blue tapping spell to get enough poison counters on the enemy to end it. I think I ended with 11 or 12 on him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The solution I used: cast Crib Swap on their flier, cast both Virulent Slivers, Brainstorm for the Protean Hulk, put it into play with the Amulet, sac it to grab Predator Dragon, eat the two slivers, attack with the dragon and the Kraken

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
What are the best sealed decks anyone here has? I got one with 4 fiend hunters and an aegis angel, that's pretty decent. Got a grave titan + rune scarred in another. Nothing gamebreakingly good though. Anyone got anything obscene?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I was all set to compliment the AI after seeing some pretty nice plays. Stuff like Pathing their own weenie when land screwed or using that giant green creature that blows up lands and turns them into 3/3s on their own excess lands to get blockers.

And then it does this

that's armageddon up there in its graveyard

Nosre fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 1, 2013

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nosre posted:

I was all set to compliment the AI after seeing some pretty nice plays. Stuff like Pathing their own weenie when land screwed or using that giant green creature that blows up lands and turns them into 3/3s on their own excess lands to get blockers.

And then it does this

The ai often gets a bit weird in the turn before you win, I think if it has no good plays it will still do something instead of nothing.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But Aegis Angel says "another target permanent is Indestructible for as long as you control Aegis Angel." And since I still controlled Aegis Angel, it would follow that RSD should be indestructible, right?

It's just a really weird rule change.

---

As for sealed decks, I have a really awesome Esper set-up that involves 3 pacifism, 3 essence scatter, 3 murder, 2 vampire nighthawks and a mixed bag of other removal/delays with a bunch of card draw. Just hold them off until I can play my 3/7 MR sphinx (forget what it's called, it's new), aegis angel, and 2 runescarred demons.

My other sealed is an archangel of Thune setup. BW with a ton of life gain and gravediggers.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Like many others, my best sealed deck is white/black with lots of removal, blockers, some recursion and solid bombs to close the deal. The other one is a janky piece of crap with fifteen burn spells and no cheap creatures. Thanks for not letting me play 2HG Sealed, Wizards.

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun with Liliana's deck, being king of unfair trades and recursion with a pretty decent mana curve is powerful without being unfair. It helps that it has just enough targeted removal and sacrifice effects to disrupt the game plan of both AG and MM, plus a sweeper or two you can tutor/sign in blood into.

Aura-based removal is a bitch though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gannyGrabber posted:

But Aegis Angel says "another target permanent is Indestructible for as long as you control Aegis Angel." And since I still controlled Aegis Angel, it would follow that RSD should be indestructible, right?

It's just a really weird rule change.

Under how indestructibility will work in two weeks, I'm pretty sure you'd parse that as "another permanent gains Indestructibility" rather than "is indestructible." The angel doesn't "re-apply" it because the "loses abilities" effect exists on the same layer as the "gains abilities" one and effectively overwrites it for the turn.

If it didn't work this way, you could play Opalescence (all non-aura enchantments are creatures) and Humility (all creatures lose abilities and become 1/1) and you'd have this unresolvable state where Humility makes Opal lose its abilities, and because it no longer has its ability to make enchants into creatures, it would revert to an enchant, at which point it's no longer covered by Humility so it has its ability again and now it becomes a creature, but wait there's Humility and and and and and...

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
I think it was Dirty Karma who mentioned it upthread, but based on that post I've been running Stave Off and it really is such a crazy blow-out card in so many situations that you'd be crazy not to run a copy of it in every white sealed deck ever. Mucking with their removal on your crap is just so drat satisfying.

But yeah I've been running W/R/g lately in sealed, it's incredibly fun. I pulled two Mind Springs and an Archangel of Thune so I tried to force W/U for a while, tried W/B with some good removal before realizing that I had 3 Terramorphic Expanses and a good selection of quality creatures in G/R and I haven't looked back since. It's a little more creature light than I'd like but only barely, and it just starts applying a ton of pressure turn 2/3 and doesn't stop until they're dead. It's freaking great, especially because so many people are playing the durdly deck that relies on blocking until they draw their bomb. All-stars are definitely the Slivers, Act of Treason, and Maurading Maulhorn, who has closed out so many games for me despite not having an Advocate of the Beast. "Attacks each turn" isn't that huge of a drawback when I have a good host of removal and it's attached to a 5-power beater. The only decks I've ever had a good amount of trouble with was this W/U/R monstrosity that ran 2 Tectonic Rifts and 2-3 Archeomancers and just locked me out of all my spells while swinging in with Scroll Thief, and I couldn't draw into any land. Just a ballsy as hell deck and I loved it.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Under how indestructibility will work in two weeks, I'm pretty sure you'd parse that as "another permanent gains Indestructibility" rather than "is indestructible." The angel doesn't "re-apply" it because the "loses abilities" effect exists on the same layer as the "gains abilities" one and effectively overwrites it for the turn.

If it didn't work this way, you could play Opalescence (all non-aura enchantments are creatures) and Humility (all creatures lose abilities and become 1/1) and you'd have this unresolvable state where Humility makes Opal lose its abilities, and because it no longer has its ability to make enchants into creatures, it would revert to an enchant, at which point it's no longer covered by Humility so it has its ability again and now it becomes a creature, but wait there's Humility and and and and and...

And then you'd be playing Lord Of The Rings. THANKS DECIPHER!

Also for anyone asking if this game is good for new players. It's the bomb. Everyone is talking about how decks are over powered and naming crazy card combos like they live this poo poo. I turn cards sideways and win some times!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Javaman98 posted:

I turn cards sideways and win some times!

You and me both buddy. :respek:

I made a Blue/Green sealed deck that works pretty well. I try and throw down my Primordial Hydra and then Cloning it.
A few other cheap green and blue critters with some counters and removals, and I've been doing ok.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

I try and throw down my Primordial Hydra and then Cloning it.

That's going to work out badly for you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Javaman98 posted:

And then you'd be playing Lord Of The Rings. THANKS DECIPHER!

Also for anyone asking if this game is good for new players. It's the bomb. Everyone is talking about how decks are over powered and naming crazy card combos like they live this poo poo. I turn cards sideways and win some times!

Yup I don't know a drat thing about Magic but I got this on a whim and I'm having a ton of fun. I might actually go to the loving card shop and play a draft next week just to see how it goes, so I guess they got me hook, line, & sinker.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's going to work out badly for you.

How so?

(I haven't been able to hit the combo yet. Is there something I should know?)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Clone effects don't copy the amount of counters on a card and that's the only thing giving your Hydra power and toughness. Try it against the AI and watch your 0/0 Hydra Clone immediately fall into the grave.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You shouldn't clone things with X mana cost toughness.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OK good to know. I'll save Clone for my 7/7 trampler or Grave Titan if my opponent plays it.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

You and me both buddy. :respek:

I made a Blue/Green sealed deck that works pretty well. I try and throw down my Primordial Hydra and then Cloning it.
A few other cheap green and blue critters with some counters and removals, and I've been doing ok.

If you have any Scroll Thieves, a Trained Condor and Frost Breath run it all. I have a hard time not running Blue in any pile that gets that combo and some other spells. Why yes, I would love to draw 2 cards a turn.

Ps Don't clone Primodial Hydra or Nightmare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One of my Sealed decks is U/G and one of my favorite plays against someone not playing G is to Switcheroo and give them my Dungrove Elder. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

goferchan posted:

Yup I don't know a drat thing about Magic but I got this on a whim and I'm having a ton of fun. I might actually go to the loving card shop and play a draft next week just to see how it goes, so I guess they got me hook, line, & sinker.

Prepare to get reamed, but try to have fun. If you can, go on YouTube and watch 15-20 draft videos for the current format to get yourself into the thought process.

Drafting is seriously addictive though.

• Locked thread