Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Does Lammle cover extraneous stuff in his 5th edition book? He's generally readable, but it's hard to tell when he's just cramming in networking information that's good to know for its own sake versus stuff that's critical to the test. Example: The concluding section of the VLANs chapter is called "Telephony: Configuring Voice Vlans." It's just two pages, but it's pretty dense stuff. He even says those two pages are the hardest section of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
If your certs aren't at least semi-related to what you do, I think it degrades them and your resume in general.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tasty Wheat posted:

"All prostitutes seem to need deep penetration"

Thank you for this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

hackedaccount posted:

Yeah, and what's happening to you is what I'm talking about above: You're doing the network team's job for them, it's duty creep.

I work for a vendor. My job is to make sure that the stuff we sell works properly, and if the customer's network team doesn't know how to do their job well enough then I can't use that as an excuse to explain why a post-sales engagement failed. I don't get to play internal politics and pitch the blame over the wall to another team (which almost always proves fruitless because they will just pitch it right back and the blame ends up resting on whoever is less favored by management). Part of the reason I work for a vendor is because I proved to be conscientious about that sort of thing when I was a customer and they hired me out of the account to work for them.

If you want to artificially limit yourself because you think that ignorance will keep you from being asked to do things outside of your narrow scope that's fine, but my experience with badly run companies hasn't really lead me to believe that mere incompetence is enough to keep someone from being asked to do a certain job. And really, getting certifications and learning new things isn't about doing your current job, it's about preparing you for the next interview and increasing your value to your next employer. Your current employer probably isn't going to give you a fat raise because you got an extra cert, but a new employer might pay you a good bit and that extra cert and knowledge might just help you land that job.

three posted:

If your certs aren't at least semi-related to what you do, I think it degrades them and your resume in general.

What you do in IT can change pretty often and quickly, so it's very possible to end up with some certs that are irrelevant to your current job, but that you came by honestly. This also depends on the certs. If you've got a bunch of brain dump certs that don't match up with your resume at all that's one thing, but if you've got an RHCE, or a CCNP, or something that generally requires more than just answering a bunch of multiple choice questions then I'll probably give it some weight.

That's another reason why the Network+ and A+ don't really mean much. You could pass both of those without ever having held a job in IT or logged in to a computer. The CCNA isn't exactly a hard test, but you'd be really hard pressed to pass it without at least putting in some time on a simulator.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

jane came by posted:

Does Lammle cover extraneous stuff in his 5th edition book? He's generally readable, but it's hard to tell when he's just cramming in networking information that's good to know for its own sake versus stuff that's critical to the test. Example: The concluding section of the VLANs chapter is called "Telephony: Configuring Voice Vlans." It's just two pages, but it's pretty dense stuff. He even says those two pages are the hardest section of the book.

Regardless as to whether or not the CCNA has a question on this, I have actually used voice VLANs in the real world, so it's a good two pages.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

I would say the CCNA is a basic and fundamental certification for anyone who takes their work in enterprise IT seriously, regardless of specialization.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Gap In The Tooth posted:

I would say the CCNA is a basic and fundamental certification for anyone who takes their work in enterprise IT seriously, regardless of specialization.

Well, if they did that how could the systems guys point at the black network box as the problem when something goes wrong?

It's **the network** :allears:

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

SaltLick posted:

Thank you for this.

It's how I learned the OSI model. Who cares about sausage pizza.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
edit: ^^^ heh.

Tasty Wheat posted:

I've heard "please do not throw sausage pizza away," but I think I like yours better.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I took "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.1]" a couple years back and stupidly put off testing until I eventually forgot about it.

Just to be clear, I'd have to pass VCP410, take the "VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.1]" course, and then take VCP510 in order to be current, correct?

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 1, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So just worked through this CCENT practice test and got 86%. Haven't done much real studying yet outside of subnetting practice.

http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html

Has anyone worked through these questions? Are they a realistic example of what I should expect on the CCENT?

Ozu posted:

Just to be clear, I'd have to pass VCP410, take the "VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.1]" course, and then take VCP510 in order to be current, correct?

Correct. I just checked on the PearsonVue website and it looks like the VCP410 is still available as well.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 1, 2013

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moey posted:

Correct. I just checked on the PearsonVue website and it looks like the VCP410 is still available as well.
Thanks. That's what I figured. "What's New [V5.1]" is $1700 and "Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]" is $3900 but would only take 1 exam.

Ugh.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rip technet, a valuable tool for people like me :smith:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/microsoft-killing-off-technet-subscriptions/

quote:

Richard HeadSmack-Fu Master, in training 5 minutes ago
Can Microsoft do anything right lately? I love my brother's technet subscription. Everyone in the family uses it to get cheap copies of Windows and Office.
up ( -1 | +0 / -1 ) down 12 posts | registered May 31, 2013

:bang:

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
If you buy TechNet, are the licenses it gives you for that year good forever or just essentially 1-year-long trials?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That's pretty disappointing. I just re-upped my subscription in March.

three posted:

If you buy TechNet, are the licenses it gives you for that year good forever or just essentially 1-year-long trials?
You'll no longer have access to the TechNet portal to download ISOs or the ability to request new licenses but the software should still work, even though you're not permitted to use it.

Microsoft posted:

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.

-You may not use the software if you do not have an active subscription.
-You may install and use the software on your devices only to evaluate the software.
-You may not use the software in a live operating environment, in a staging environment, or with data that has not been backed up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Moey posted:

So just worked through this CCENT practice test and got 86%. Haven't done much real studying yet outside of subnetting practice.

http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html

Has anyone worked through these questions? Are they a realistic example of what I should expect on the CCENT?

Compared to some other practice tests I've messed around with, those seem pretty simplistic. Go through the review questions ->here<- for some legit practice questions from Cisco. I did a lot worse on those than any other place.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

That has to be ironic... That's just... really?

I'm fine with the technet ending so long as the 180 day trials remain.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Compared to some other practice tests I've messed around with, those seem pretty simplistic. Go through the review questions ->here<- for some legit practice questions from Cisco. I did a lot worse on those than any other place.

Thanks! I find Cisco's site to be a clusterfuck, so I never would have found them most likely.

Edit: 30/45 on the first module. Looks like I got some studying to do!

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

That has to be ironic... That's just... really?

I'm fine with the technet ending so long as the 180 day trials remain.

Dodged a bullet on that one - I was just about set to drop the $350 on the professional subscription for TechNet. C'est la vie!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Hello!

I have recently stepped sideways into networking due to some unforseen staffing changes. I am primarily a linux admin/VMWare etc etc. I have been tasked with completing the two new CCNA course exams:

ICND1-100-101
ICND2-200-101

Worthy of note is that I have two months to complete them. Ive somehow managed to avoid any serious networking stuff for quite a while save for some mikrotik delployments and NAT related work, oh and some IPSec configurations. Also worthy of note will this actually be my first time studying since high school (I am now 25, as you might imagine high school was quite some time ago).

My current plan of action:

Nuggets subscription: Purchased and already moving through the content
Purchased the updated pressbooks, I am 3 chapters in.

Im thinking of paying for access to the Cisco labs that correspond to each exam. At the moment I am writing down what I can and making a LOT of use of flash cards for remember key information. As well as purchasing the labs I am considering grabbing the full version of the simulation software and seeing what labs I can grab for that.

I guess I am going in circles, seeing as this will be the first certification I have actually studied for could anyone offer further advice, I have been google study methods etc like crazy which is where I got the idea for flash cards from. General tips on the best methods to absorb as much as I can about this stuff would be appreciated.

At the moment I do a chapter a night and try to compare it to a nuggets video. I write down important notes and transfer the key points to flash cards. I review the flash cards a number of times throughout the day, when I can wake up the next day and correctly answer a flash card it moves to the three day pile, than the weekly pile etc. Its early days but it seems to be going ok.

*edit*

In case its not obvious I am slightly nervous as I have never even attempted a certification and the pressure in this case has bene put on me to complete it quite rapidly. I understand to many of you that such a "basic" certification causing such grief might seem a bit funny, hopefully in 6 months I can look back and think the same thing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

insidius posted:

Passing the CCNA

Get your hands on the simulator software however you can. If you aren't working on Cisco gear with some frequency you'll have a hard time passing the CCNA just reading a book. You really need to spend time on the CLI working through problems and trying different things out. The simulator is immeasurably helpful in helping the material stick. Don't sweat it though, the material really isn't that hard, though it does cover a pretty wide swath. Just get a good book, and a simulator, and spend a little time every day for a couple of weeks reading material and doing labs, and playing around on your own to see how things behave and to get the hang of running the commands without reading them out of a book.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Those exams will set you up with a lot of knowledge which will benefit your career and your paycheck. But man, two months? That's cert dump territory. You're going to cram knowledge in as quick as you can get it and retain very little. That's really unfortunate.

And honestly, I wouldn't consider that a "basic" certification at all, to address your last paragraph. I'll never disparage anyone's efforts, but 95% of the posts in this thread are some variant of "I'm thinking of an A+/net+", you're skipping right over that. I won't say 6 figures, but a CCNA is Very Employable. There's absolutely nothing to scoff at there.

You have the Nuggets subscription, that's good, Jeremy Cioara (sp) is highly regarded.

Your study habits deserve commendation. Between that and your jumping right to the CCNA in two months, I'd say there's a fair chance we're all working for you some day.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 2, 2013

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

NippleFloss posted:

Get your hands on the simulator software however you can. If you aren't working on Cisco gear with some frequency you'll have a hard time passing the CCNA just reading a book. You really need to spend time on the CLI working through problems and trying different things out. The simulator is immeasurably helpful in helping the material stick. Don't sweat it though, the material really isn't that hard, though it does cover a pretty wide swath. Just get a good book, and a simulator, and spend a little time every day for a couple of weeks reading material and doing labs, and playing around on your own to see how things behave and to get the hang of running the commands without reading them out of a book.

Thank you very much. Is there a specific version I should be looking for? The press books recommend the software from pearson and in fact includes a trial with a small amount of labs and stated that I could visit the website for the full version. Their software does not appear to be updated yet and only covers the older exams.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Those exams will set you up with a lot of knowledge which will benefit your career and your paycheck. But man, two months? That's cert dump territory. You're going to cram knowledge in as quick as you can get it and retain very little. That's really unfortunate.

And honestly, I wouldn't consider that a "basic" certification at all, to address your last paragraph. I'll never disparage anyone's efforts, but 95% of the posts in this thread are some variant of "I'm thinking of an A+/net+", you're skipping right over that. I won't say 6 figures, but a CCNA is Very Employable. There's absolutely nothing to scoff at there.

You have the Nuggets subscription, that's good, Jeremy Cioara (sp) is highly regarded.

Yeah, it came about because a position nobody thought would go for some time upped and left the company. They have been left in the position of needing a junior to train under the now senior network engineer. They need someone already familiar with our existing setup and as I have been here for seven years that turns out to be me. I myself am worried that two months is not enough, I have told my employer I will give it a best effort but I will no take short cuts that ensure I pass an exam but miss out on applicable knowledge. I will not work on systems I am not confident with for a multitude of reasons. I was kind of hoping to see a post along this nature because its kind of how I felt.

I had previously been authorised to take the CCNA while I had no dealing with routers, I asked my direct manager if once I achieved it I would be able to work hands on and was informed "there is no chance of that, we do not need anyone else" so I failed to chase the certification under the assumption that were I not actually working with the hardware/software I would eventually lose the skillset.

In regards to difficulty it is odd, my old boss (the one leaving) has been pressuring me and demanding I do it as soon as possible because its "easy" while others have made the same suggestion you have.

Its a bit stressful to be honest but I am just doing my best to ease into it and hopefully soak up as much as I can.

quote:

Your study habits deserve commendation. Between that and your jumping right to the CCNA in two months, I'd say there's a fair chance we're all working for you some day.

My habits have come about due to a lack of any understanding of HOW to study ironically. I was a high school dropout who was incredibly unfocused, I left because my inability to focus on my education was having an effect on other students. Dropped out and took a support position and marched my way up through the ranks. I have done fairly ok for myself but have been left with some major gaps when it comes to things like "knowing" how to study and effectively retain that knowledge. I have for the most part came to the assumption that revision and tons of practical experience should assist.

insidius fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 2, 2013

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~
I'm looking at these to help me with my server administration courses. But I don't know if either is any good.

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/collection.aspx?guid=9808523F-2D39-4646-A15A-2C4BD8266F57

http://www.transcender.com/e-learning/microsoft/70-646.kap

I was thinking of just buying the first Microsoft one just to see if I like it. Or should I go for the cheaper transcender one?

urseus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 2, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

urseus posted:

I'm looking at these to help me with my server administration courses. But I don't know if either is any good.

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/collection.aspx?guid=9808523F-2D39-4646-A15A-2C4BD8266F57

http://www.transcender.com/e-learning/microsoft/70-646.kap

I was thinking of just buying the first Microsoft one just to see if I like it. Or should I go for the cheaper transcender one?

If you don't mind going the text route, this is what I used to study for and pass the 70-646: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470293152/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With practice on Virtualbox and going over the book, you'll do just fine.

That said if the MS E-learning is anything like the MS Press book for the 70-646, go for Transcender. I don't say this out of experience on either the MS E-learning or Transcender product, just that MS' cert prep books for 2k8 really weren't helpful at learning about situations that you'd use tool X, console Y, application Z in meaningful ways. They just said "This is tool X, it does this that and the other thing, to launch it go to A-> B-> C."

The 70-417 book they have out does far better at helping learn the material, not just function as a cert prep technical manual to read.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone worked with Prime? I'm trying to add my 5508 to it and it's giving me an SNMP error despite having configured SNMP properly and having it work with other monitoring solutions.

I loving hate Cisco wireless.

e: Whoops, this was the wrong thread. I found the answer, though: the WLC firmware is incompatible with Prime NCS. gently caress you, Cisco.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 2, 2013

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

MJP posted:

If you don't mind going the text route, this is what I used to study for and pass the 70-646: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470293152/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With practice on Virtualbox and going over the book, you'll do just fine.

That said if the MS E-learning is anything like the MS Press book for the 70-646, go for Transcender. I don't say this out of experience on either the MS E-learning or Transcender product, just that MS' cert prep books for 2k8 really weren't helpful at learning about situations that you'd use tool X, console Y, application Z in meaningful ways. They just said "This is tool X, it does this that and the other thing, to launch it go to A-> B-> C."

The 70-417 book they have out does far better at helping learn the material, not just function as a cert prep technical manual to read.
I've only been using the ms press books so far. And failing. My study is very lackluster I just can't absorb the material. But I found these other books are awesome at teaching you teal world but not exact ms exam terminology. At least with A+

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Can someone explain to me how this is done?

21. Using six subnet bits, how many usable subnets are created?

Edit: Thanks google.

quote:

Number of subnets = 2^n where n is the number of bits borrowed
Number of hosts = 2^(32 - n) - 2 where n is the number of bits in your subnet mask

Double edit: Still doesn't help me. I would say 64 usable subnets?

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 2, 2013

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Tasty Wheat posted:

I learned it the other way.

"Princess Diana never thought she'd pound asphalt."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Moey posted:

Can someone explain to me how this is done?

21. Using six subnet bits, how many usable subnets are created?

Edit: Thanks google.

Be careful here, because it looks like the answer is assuming this is the mid 90s and you can't use Subnet 0 or the all 1s subnet (or whatever it's called).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

Be careful here, because it looks like the answer is assuming this is the mid 90s and you can't use Subnet 0 or Subnet 1.

And that would explain the "correct" answer from Cisco being 62 not 64.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Moey posted:

And that would explain the "correct" answer from Cisco being 62 not 64.

Which is dumb because ip subnet zero is enabled by default since like IOS version 11.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

insidius posted:

Thank you very much. Is there a specific version I should be looking for? The press books recommend the software from pearson and in fact includes a trial with a small amount of labs and stated that I could visit the website for the full version. Their software does not appear to be updated yet and only covers the older exams.

I used the Boson NetSim software and it worked well for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

psydude posted:

Be careful here, because it looks like the answer is assuming this is the mid 90s and you can't use Subnet 0 or the all 1s subnet (or whatever it's called).

Today I learned that using a 0 network isn't something I should take for granted :psyduck:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

NippleFloss posted:

I used the Boson NetSim software and it worked well for me.

Cheers. Looks like I am going to have to use this for now and find custom setups or something to hit the stuff introduced in the new line of exams. Nothing is yet updated for the revised versions and its looking like october at the earliest which will be too late.

Thats fairly annoying.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

insidius posted:

Cheers. Looks like I am going to have to use this for now and find custom setups or something to hit the stuff introduced in the new line of exams. Nothing is yet updated for the revised versions and its looking like october at the earliest which will be too late.

Thats fairly annoying.

You have until September 30th to take the old exams, fyi.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You have until September 30th to take the old exams, fyi.

You know what, luckily I bought the books for the first edition by mistake. I am just going to use that one to study and at the very least get it done before cut over and just take the second if I have too. Might as well cause I picked up a simulator based on that one as well.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I have the books for ICND1 100-101 CCENT/CCNA and ICND2 200-101 CCNA Routing and Switching

Are these exams changing?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143852/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143739/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

are the books i have

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 3, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Alctel posted:

I have the books for ICND1 100-101 CCENT/CCNA and ICND2 200-101 CCNA Routing and Switching

Are these exams changing?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143852/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1587143739/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

are the books i have

No. Right now you can take ICND1 as 640-822 or 100-101, and ICND2 as 640-816 or 200-101.

Starting October 1st, you can only take ICND1 as 100-101 and ICND2 as 200-101.

Long story short - 100-101/200-101 are staying, 640-822/640-816 are disappearing.

edit-- in other news I just scheduled my ICND1 for next Thursday and the first part of my MCSA (70-410) for the following Friday :ohdear: :negative: :ohdear: I felt so confident until I actually paid the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oh, so I accidently picked up the new versions - great!