Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't check iTunes, actually.

I'm going to revisit it, see if there's some compromise we can make here. I really don't feel comfortable paying for cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
One thing is, you mentioned "most of the time, it's on for background noise". If that implies channel surfing to any extent, your cost argument hits a roadblock. One thing streaming solutions are horrible at is quickly, easily changing "channels".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

One thing is, you mentioned "most of the time, it's on for background noise". If that implies channel surfing to any extent, your cost argument hits a roadblock. One thing streaming solutions are horrible at is quickly, easily changing "channels".

Luckily it doesn't imply surfing in her case. Like, we don't have cable right now, so to have noise she's just been throwing random DVDs into the 360.

Sounds like she's okay with the extra work involved in seeing what she wants. That's good, because I don't mind doing it. We might not get a Roku right away - we have a 360 so we can at least stream Netflix/Amazon easily, and if I have to do conversions on anything for Windows Media Center, I can. We'll probably end up using Roku for a second bedroom, and then use whatever's on the PS4 when that comes out.

We've actually done a similar setup before (basic cable, Netflix, stream everything else from my PC) and I see no reason why it wouldn't work now. The only difference is I'd use an antenna for "basic cable".

Curiously, what's a recommended speed for typical HD streaming media setups? AT&T's lowest tier is 3Mb/s.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Curiously, what's a recommended speed for typical HD streaming media setups? AT&T's lowest tier is 3Mb/s.
I think 5Mb/s at bare minimum is you want to be able to use anything else on the Internet at the same time. 3 would probably work, but you'll likely hit buffering issues, especially if you're using other devices.
EDIT: Also, your video quality will be affected by a lower connection speed, since Netflix (and probably other providers) base the video quality on your bandwidth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DizzyBum posted:

To add, Netflix recommends 5, Amazon says 3.5 at the lowest. I've found 5 to work just fine in the past.

e: and for planning purposes, Roku's went on super sale last Black Friday. Like $20-$40 off.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

and if I have to do conversions on anything for Windows Media Center, I can.
Don't bother, install PS3 media server on your computer, set up a library folder and that'll take care of any transcoding you'd ever need. Way easier than faffing around converting files.

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

DizzyBum posted:

drat, my wife isn't willing to let cable go for the 5 or 6 shows she wants, and not all of them are on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. :( Oh well.

What shows?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Here's a potentially stupid question for you guys. How do you figure out what's going to be on? I don't want to take out a subscription to TV Guide or the local newspaper. Are there decent guides for broadcast TV available online?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Try Titan. You could also go to tvguide's site if you meant upcoming stuff rather than just listings. There's also Entertainment Weekly; keep in mind that they don't have listings in EW, but you'll see some of the upcoming stuff - if you do Coke Rewards, you can get a free year sub right now for about 3 weeks worth of points.

Coffee Wolf fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 20, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Here's a potentially stupid question for you guys. How do you figure out what's going to be on? I don't want to take out a subscription to TV Guide or the local newspaper. Are there decent guides for broadcast TV available online?

If you have iOS, Episodes will keep track of your shows for you and you can have it set reminder notifications.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

If you have iOS, Episodes will keep track of your shows for you and you can have it set reminder notifications.

Too bad it doesn't send reminders per show. Only flaw.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't? I always remember getting a specific There's an episode of X show airing tonight."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

It doesn't? I always remember getting a specific There's an episode of X show airing tonight."

It batches them to one specific time instead of something like an hour before a show airs.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a way to be watching a video stream on a laptop ad have it displayed on my tv through a roku 3?

I keep reading about plex and twonky but it seems like plex is more for local media and twonky is for smartphones (and iPhones do not work with flash which is the type of video stream).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a way to be watching a video stream on a laptop ad have it displayed on my tv through a roku 3?

I keep reading about plex and twonky but it seems like plex is more for local media and twonky is for smartphones (and iPhones do not work with flash which is the type of video stream).

Plex can do youtube as well, so it's conceivable that there's a channel for whatever streaming thing you're interested in.

e: Speaking of Plex, I'm having trouble getting some content to show up. I add the folder in the media manager and rescan, and sometimes my stuff just doesn't show up. I understand it has really good format support, but I'm not sure what else would cause this. The documentation isn't too great either, unfortunately. Any ideas?

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2013

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So I've since cancelled the basic TV service through TW and have just Internet with them. I've been using a Terk HD antenna to get the local channels and I already have a WDTV Live Plus for watching any digital content. However, I'm interested in dabbling with some of the online services like Amazon, Netflix, etc. So far I've been doing a free trial of Hulu Plus and I'm not that impressed. Their selection is limited for what I'm interested in, the ads are annoying and I just don't see the desire in paying money for it. What are some suggestions for online services? I'm considering trying Amazon Prime next because I order things from there often already so 2-day shipping would be nice. My girlfriend also has a Kindle to use with it. How's their tv/movie selection? Is Netflix worth pursuing these days?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

So I've since cancelled the basic TV service through TW and have just Internet with them. I've been using a Terk HD antenna to get the local channels and I already have a WDTV Live Plus for watching any digital content. However, I'm interested in dabbling with some of the online services like Amazon, Netflix, etc. So far I've been doing a free trial of Hulu Plus and I'm not that impressed. Their selection is limited for what I'm interested in, the ads are annoying and I just don't see the desire in paying money for it. What are some suggestions for online services? I'm considering trying Amazon Prime next because I order things from there often already so 2-day shipping would be nice. My girlfriend also has a Kindle to use with it. How's their tv/movie selection? Is Netflix worth pursuing these days?

I subscribe to both because I get so much other value out of Amazon prime that it's a no brainer, and Netflix still has much better apps than the Amazon prime video apps.

There's a lot of crossover between Netflix and Amazon, but it really depends on what you want to watch. TV wise it's mostly older seasons of shows, plus a bit of original content. Movies are all over the place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Speaking of Plex, I'm having trouble getting some content to show up. I add the folder in the media manager and rescan, and sometimes my stuff just doesn't show up. I understand it has really good format support, but I'm not sure what else would cause this. The documentation isn't too great either, unfortunately. Any ideas?

It may be misidentifying. Look through your library for something that doesn't belong.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

It may be misidentifying. Look through your library for something that doesn't belong.

There's also a chance that, if it's TV shows, the files aren't named in a fashion where the media scanner can pick them up. I've had that happen before and it was fixed by renaming them Show.Sxx.Exx.Episode Name

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's also a chance that, if it's TV shows, the files aren't named in a fashion where the media scanner can pick them up. I've had that happen before and it was fixed by renaming them Show.Sxx.Exx.Episode Name

I've seen that too, but in my experience it will still list stuff, it just can't find the metadata to display titles and such.

e: This is exactly what it was, actually. It seems that if you don't have your stuff named and organized the way it wants it won't be able to find the metadata, and in some cases it won't even recognize there's anything in there at all.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 26, 2013

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Even that naming style you suggested hosed my plex library up. Try testing it something with something simple like "test tv show" and see if it shows up. That fixed my issue

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anyone with a roku ever use the IPTVMYWAY channel?

If so, how does it exactly work and what are your thoughts on it?

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I'm considering trying Amazon Prime

Find the Prime sharing thread, and as long as you are the primary account holder, you'll get the streaming cheaper via splitting with other goons. Most seem to charge ~$15. You have to be the primary user to get streaming, don't join up under someone else.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Coffee Wolf posted:

Find the Prime sharing thread, and as long as you are the primary account holder, you'll get the streaming cheaper via splitting with other goons. Most seem to charge ~$15. You have to be the primary user to get streaming, don't join up under someone else.

What is the use in sharing then? If the 2nd person just wants the free shipping and doesn't want any streaming video?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

What is the use in sharing then? If the 2nd person just wants the free shipping and doesn't want any streaming video?

Pretty much. You get discounts on two-day shipping as well plus I think a couple other things too, but the streaming video goes to the primary account holder only.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I bought some poo poo on amazon instant video and its only playback option is on a Kindle. Now, I have a Kindle so I wasn't too awfully bummed but that was pretty annoying and now I'm wary of that garbage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Smythe posted:

I bought some poo poo on amazon instant video and its only playback option is on a Kindle. Now, I have a Kindle so I wasn't too awfully bummed but that was pretty annoying and now I'm wary of that garbage.
That seems odd. Stuff I've rented/bought plays on all kinds of devices. Do you mean it won't play on other devices, or do you mean your Kindle is the only thing that shows up in the "deliver to" drop down?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That seems odd. Stuff I've rented/bought plays on all kinds of devices. Do you mean it won't play on other devices, or do you mean your Kindle is the only thing that shows up in the "deliver to" drop down?

Worked on computer but not android, sorry should been more specific. I've got some dumb android stick attached to my tv

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For Chicago-area cord-cutting goons, Aereo (the company that offers internet-dvr/live streaming service for OTA channels) is launching in Chicago on 9/13. You can pre-register on their facebook page.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

For Chicago-area cord-cutting goons, Aereo (the company that offers internet-dvr/live streaming service for OTA channels) is launching in Chicago on 9/13. You can pre-register on their facebook page.

I also got an email today that they are launching in Georgia too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Atlanta was the first non-Northeastern area to get the service. Early registration opened a month or so ago.

I'd imagine early registers for Chicago will probably start online mid-to-late August.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 27, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What leads you to believe HDMI is causing the issue? If you have a cable or piece of equipment that's leaking that badly I can't imagine it would be working very well at delivering video.

Fak, I asked a question then forgot to check in. When I unplug the HDMI cables (or if the devices are turned off), I get far better antenna reception.

This could easily be a problem with the HDMI interfaces on my not-top tier vizio TV, but its still annoying.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

I've used them a few times for big events like the 2012 election, the Super Bowl, etc. I just paid with a prepaid card using a random NYC address plus Firefox has an awesome geolocation spoof addon as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Boxman posted:

Fak, I asked a question then forgot to check in. When I unplug the HDMI cables (or if the devices are turned off), I get far better antenna reception.

This could easily be a problem with the HDMI interfaces on my not-top tier vizio TV, but its still annoying.

How odd. Have you tried leaving just one HDMI plugged in at a time to see if it's just one of them causing the issue? Where is your antenna located? Have you been able to try a different set of cables (perhaps with ferrite chokes installed)?

I guess it could be an internal leakage issue too, where something is getting out of the HDMI input board and is messing with the tuner. First I've heard of it though.

e: make sure your antenna input is screwed on but good. You don't have to tool tighten it (in fact it's better if you don't), but make sure the cable is firmly seated and not able to wiggle at all. You'd be amazed how little looseness it takes with a coaxial cable fitting to leave the door open to problems.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 30, 2013

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.
I'm going to be cutting my cable next week. I'm probably going to be getting the roku and an antenna so that's covered. I signed up for a free trial with Hulu+ but, as you all know, half of the content isn't available through apps which is garbage.

A couple questions though. Besides Netflix and Amazon, are there any other services I should be looking into? Is Playon a worth while?

The only other thing I watch is the NHL. Does anyone have any suggestions for hockey viewing? Would using a VPN type service allow me to use Game Center for my local team?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
This just popped up on Engadget. I live in OC, and am tempted to give it a try. After buying a 99 dollar box, 35 bucks a month for 60 plus channels.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/29/cox-flarewatch-iptv/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Well, after some digging through XDA is discovered that you can stream Amazon Instant videos on Android by using the Firefox browser. BTW Amazon Instant Video doesn't have an Android app and regardless of sideloaded Flash you can't stream them on Browser or Chrome. So there's that.

Between Hulu+, Netflix, some native android content repositories (NBC app for example) and now Amazon Instant Video I'm feeling pretty content content using a RK808B as a media center, replacing my Boxee Box. It's much faster, more agile, and more importantly - not completely deprecated by everyone.

e: Also, I shelled out the $15.00 for the SlingPlayer app for Android which works fuckin great for sports games and poo poo that you can't get without a cable sub. We've got a communal cable box with an HD sling at work that people can use, which pretty much owns. Also the HBO Go app for Android has come a long way and is also total ownage.

I stream :filez: from a samba share using MX Player and ES File Explorer. XBMC would be cool theoretically but doesn't run for poo poo, even using the lightweight NEON versions.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 30, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Smythe posted:

I stream :filez: from a samba share using MX Player and ES File Explorer. XBMC would be cool theoretically but doesn't run for poo poo, even using the lightweight NEON versions.

IMO, the only "lightweight" skins are quartz and confluence. I might be in the minority, but I think most xbmc skins are overproduced.

They look flashy and have lots of effort put into them, but they're too busy looking for me.

I use the quartz skin, and its the 2nd fastest, behind confluence. Night was good, but was not ported over to xbmc 12.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

This just popped up on Engadget. I live in OC, and am tempted to give it a try. After buying a 99 dollar box, 35 bucks a month for 60 plus channels.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/29/cox-flarewatch-iptv/

ok so i picked one of these up. so far pretty impressed. theres a few quirks, and some might be dealbreakers for some users. I can post more thoughts, but only if theres an audience here that cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cornjob posted:

ok so i picked one of these up. so far pretty impressed. theres a few quirks, and some might be dealbreakers for some users. I can post more thoughts, but only if theres an audience here that cares.

Nope, no one cares in the thread obsessing over TV delivery mechanisms.