Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

rotinaj posted:

People get pissed off now when we post vinceflex.jpg, but that really summarizes it. Vince is a crazy old man with outdated thoughts on machismo, so the crying probably told him to bully Finkel however he could.

If you can't tell by the forced, fake delivery when they're being fed terrible lines and when they're going off on their own then I don't know if anything can convince you otherwise. It sounded pretty genuine, and I imagine it was more likely driven by some personality trait from knowing Fink some 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Vince is the answer to every single thing

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I would love to see any other sport behave in such an unprofessional, carny manner. The next time they wheel out some retired NFL player to do the coin flip, the announcers just start relentlessly mocking his physical ailments and talking about what a loser he is. You know King, they say that he broke the rushing record at one time, but right now it looks like all he'll break is his hip! HAW HAW EAT HARDEES

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Wasn't there some leaked audio of the announcers rehearsing and they were tearing into Tony Chimel or one of the other announcers? And HHH making fun of Lilian Garcia's face. Maybe it's just okay to make fun of ring announcers because they need to pay their dues, brother

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Who's the ugliest man in the history of pro wrestling? I ask because I just reread the article where Bryan rates wrestling beards, and I can't think of anyone in wrestling uglier than Mad Dog Vachon.

Ladies are excused from this question because Jesus there's enough misogyny in wrestling as it is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jos Leduc or Mad Man Pondo probably fit the bill.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's the ugliest man in the history of pro wrestling? I ask because I just reread the article where Bryan rates wrestling beards, and I can't think of anyone in wrestling uglier than Mad Dog Vachon.

Ladies are excused from this question because Jesus there's enough misogyny in wrestling as it is.

Jun Kasai and Jaki Numazawa have to be up there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

The Hideous Deformed Monster Kane...

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Bigass Moth posted:

The Hideous Deformed Monster Kane...

he's the ugliest...on the inside

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

the sex ghost posted:

Wasn't there some leaked audio of the announcers rehearsing and they were tearing into Tony Chimel or one of the other announcers? And HHH making fun of Lilian Garcia's face. Maybe it's just okay to make fun of ring announcers because they need to pay their dues, brother

Yeah, the Off The Air series is now upto part 8 or something, and Cole was asked during a radio interview about it. The whole thing is pretty much hazing, in the same way that they took cheap shots at JR when they had a chance.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

"The French Angel" Maurice Tillet

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tato posted:

I would love to see any other sport behave in such an unprofessional, carny manner. The next time they wheel out some retired NFL player to do the coin flip, the announcers just start relentlessly mocking his physical ailments and talking about what a loser he is. You know King, they say that he broke the rushing record at one time, but right now it looks like all he'll break is his hip! HAW HAW EAT HARDEES

It's almost as if pro wrestling isn't a real sport and should not be treated as such.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WeaponX posted:

Has Jericho ever used a kendo stick to do a more powerful Codebreaker? Cause that'd be pretty cool.

Has anyone ever countered a Codebreaker into a flapjack powerbomb or an alley-oop? I imagine someone like Show or Kane could pull it off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

To me its not a question of whether its a real sport or not. Its about a guy who has worked years for an organization showing genuine emotion to an appreciative crowd and getting poo poo on by his co-workers.

sticklefifer posted:

Has anyone ever countered a Codebreaker into a flapjack powerbomb or an alley-oop? I imagine someone like Show or Kane could pull it off.

Mark Henry did something like this on a PPV.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sticklefifer posted:

Not quite what you're looking for but here's a Codebreaker being countered into a TKO (Marc Mero/ECW Test/Alex Riley finisher). Fun chance to plug my (dead) local fed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqdsm2Kueok&t=550s

Not sure why the video's all glitched but the slow-motion effect is convenient for now. I keep forgetting to re-upload it.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Mexican Samurai posted:

I was thinking of WWF 1994-1995 and that the era had the most atrocious mid-carders in the history of professional wrestling. Duke Droese, Adam Bomb, Salvatore Sincere, Mabel, TL Hopper, The Goon. Is there any other era in wrestling where the lower card, mid-carders were just so poor compared to the main eventers?

While these were all bad gimmicks, every one of those guys behind the gimmicks were decent to good workers(with the exception of Mabel).
Check out Duke Droese's match against HHH in Feb 96, or Adam Bomb's early 1995 work if you don't believe me.

I'd personally rather take decent workers with really bad gimmicks (which sums up most of the WWF midcard from 93-97), than decent gimmicks with really bad workers (which sums up most of the WWF midcard from 97--when the Radicalz jumped).

Then again, the terrible cartoony gimmicks almost bankrupted WWF in the mid-90's, while bad workers who got over with decent gimmicks in the Attitude Era still have name recognition today, so...

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

rotinaj posted:

People get pissed off now when we post vinceflex.jpg, but that really summarizes it. Vince is a crazy old man with outdated thoughts on machismo, so the crying probably told him to bully Finkel however he could.

As Cornette and Percy Pringle say here, they basically bully Finkel all the time for basically no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbhiAtkwX8

Also regarding ugliest wrestlers, Bob Sweetan was once mentioned by Jim Cornette as looking like someone set his face on fire and put it out with an axe.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

whatsabattle posted:

As Cornette and Percy Pringle say here, they basically bully Finkel all the time for basically no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbhiAtkwX8

holy loving :lol: at the roughly 3 minute mark of that video

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

Wasn't there some leaked audio of the announcers rehearsing and they were tearing into Tony Chimel or one of the other announcers?
Is this the clip where Chimel can't pronounce "women's" properly?

In isolation I just took it as co-workers chuckling about Chimel stumbling over his lines, but if this was a regular thing then I could see how it would move into hazing/bullying.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Shiki Dan posted:

While these were all bad gimmicks, every one of those guys behind the gimmicks were decent to good workers(with the exception of Mabel).
Check out Duke Droese's match against HHH in Feb 96, or Adam Bomb's early 1995 work if you don't believe me.

I'd personally rather take decent workers with really bad gimmicks (which sums up most of the WWF midcard from 93-97), than decent gimmicks with really bad workers (which sums up most of the WWF midcard from 97--when the Radicalz jumped).

Then again, the terrible cartoony gimmicks almost bankrupted WWF in the mid-90's, while bad workers who got over with decent gimmicks in the Attitude Era still have name recognition today, so...

The New Generation era has a bad rep, but I feel that too much of the criticisms focus on the gimmicks. Most of the guys with silly gimmicks were just jobbers - they were pretty much jobbed out from day one, and we were never supposed to take them seriously. I think the problem then was the same one they have now - anyone popular was pushed as a face. Look at the face depth chart during the summer of 1995 - you had Diesel, HBK, Undertaker, Bret Hart, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam Bigelow. The heel side had Sid, Mabel, and... Tatanka? Isaac Yankem? That's a pretty big disparity, and it's going to lead to lovely booking. To be fair, there were other guys like Owen and Yoko, but they were stuck in the tag division for most of the year.

Some of the gimmicks were silly, but at least they were memorable. People still remember Adam Bomb and Man Mountain Rock. Who the hell will remember Justin Gabriel or Ted Dibiase Jr. or that guy who beat Wade Barrett last January 20 years down the road?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I was watching some of the Heath Slater jobber stuff on the buildup to Raw 1000 and it blows my mind the reaction that Vader got yet he wasn't brought in for a full-time gig, even just to put Cena over.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Spikey Willow posted:

Is this the clip where Chimel can't pronounce "women's" properly?

In isolation I just took it as co-workers chuckling about Chimel stumbling over his lines, but if this was a regular thing then I could see how it would move into hazing/bullying.

That clip wasn't a rehearsal, I think it was a wildline being re-recorded. But yea, there's a bunch of Chimel stuff on those videos.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Edit: wrong thread

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

e: wrong thread hurp durp.

abraxas fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 2, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

You probably want this thread

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I was thinking about the upcoming MitB matches with all face/all heel competitors and tried to come up with other notable face vs. face and heel vs. heel matchups. As far as face vs. face goes, Hogan/Warrior was the most significant one I could think of, but I can't come up with any notable/memorable/significant heel vs. heel matches. Any ideas?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I was thinking about the upcoming MitB matches with all face/all heel competitors and tried to come up with other notable face vs. face and heel vs. heel matchups. As far as face vs. face goes, Hogan/Warrior was the most significant one I could think of, but I can't come up with any notable/memorable/significant heel vs. heel matches. Any ideas?

The formation of the Mega Powers is pretty murky. Savage was STARTING a face turn, but it was only really cemented when Hogan saved him from the Hart Foundation and HTM. So Savage/HTM was kinda heel/heel and was pretty notable.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Damnit, thankyou. I knew there was a better thread for this but I'm obviously retarded. I'll move it over there.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chinston Wurchill posted:

HBK vs. Rick Martel at SummerSlam '92 (Wembley Stadium) is the highest profile one that I can think of. Especially notable since it didn't segue into a face turn for either guy.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

There was a heel Kurt Angle vs. JBL match on Smackdown once that centered entirely around Kurt calling JBL "bucko".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Minidust posted:

HBK vs. Rick Martel at SummerSlam '92 (Wembley Stadium) is the highest profile one that I can think of. Especially notable since it didn't segue into a face turn for either guy.

Wasn't that the match with the "No punches to the face" stip?

Because holy poo poo, I love that in kayfabe. That both of them, being narcissistic heels, would agree to a match under the condition that neither of them does anything to the other's face.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Wasn't that the match with the "No punches to the face" stip?

Because holy poo poo, I love that in kayfabe. That both of them, being narcissistic heels, would agree to a match under the condition that neither of them does anything to the other's face.

That match is a favorite of mine and an early gem of Shawn's singles career. The "not the face" stipulation, Sherri's distress every time either one of them got an advantage, the ref's increasing exasperation at having to watch both of them for petty heel bullshit, and the finish and post-match absurdity to top it off.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Orton vs Sheamus, Royal Rumble 2011. It turned Orton face though - he'd later feud with CM Punk and the (sigh) New Nexus.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The New Nexus/Corre feud was limited, but also heel vs heel. The crowd just wanted to see them TEAR INTO EACHOTHER. (This never happened.)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 3, 2013

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I was watching some of the Heath Slater jobber stuff on the buildup to Raw 1000 and it blows my mind the reaction that Vader got yet he wasn't brought in for a full-time gig, even just to put Cena over.

They did well with it but I still thought it was easy to see Vader can barely move. He had immense trouble getting up the ring steps. Any time he had to get back up looked very awkward too, like his knees don't work anymore whatsoever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Heath Slater is going to job to an adorable baby penguin one of these days.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Cavauro posted:

They did well with it but I still thought it was easy to see Vader can barely move. He had immense trouble getting up the ring steps. Any time he had to get back up looked very awkward too, like his knees don't work anymore whatsoever.

Well, he is 400 pounds and nearly 60 years old, what do you expect?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Cavauro posted:

Pretty much. You'd have to keep him in the ring with pinballs like Slater.

I'm happy Vader got one awesome sendoff in WWE. That's a good way to go out.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
WWE.com has a retrospective on Sunday Night Heat, and they include this "Seven Deadly Sins" angle with Raven. I thought that was just an idea pitched by Raven that never actually happened?

WWE.com posted:

Raven became obsessed with the seven deadly sins, using his fellow competitors as examples in his “masterpiece.” While the former ECW Champion’s reasoning may have seemed a little flawed to some, the havoc it caused was undeniable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Minidust posted:

WWE.com has a retrospective on Sunday Night Heat, and they include this "Seven Deadly Sins" angle with Raven. I thought that was just an idea pitched by Raven that never actually happened?

There were definitely little vignettes that Raven did that were going to lead up to his big angle, but the angle was dropped before they actually went anywhere.