Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Don't think I ever noticed the cloud designs on Martha's outfit before. Looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Dogdoo 8 posted:

As oversized as her chestpiece is, she'd have a hell of a time finding leg armor, especially since she probably doesn't have the money to have it custom made.

Then I guess she's darn lucky the Suikoden world doesn't have any knee-height monsters wielding axes or anythi- :smith:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Abitha Denton posted:

Then I guess she's darn lucky the Suikoden world doesn't have any knee-height monsters wielding axes or anythi- :smith:

As if she couldn't handle it through the sheer force of :3:

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Don't think I ever noticed the cloud designs on Martha's outfit before. Looks pretty cool.

Yeah that really is cool, I'd like to have it on a shirt. I also like how her sinewy arms show how tough she probably is. They look pretty strong, maybe she was a former adventurer or something, further enhanced by her posture which is the opposite of what you'd expect from an older lady.

Muto is really intriguing to me as well as there has to be a good story behind that scar and nobody can be that chill all the time. I bet on full moons he goes apeshit and starts gnawing on vagrants. Or maybe I'm being too cynical, yeah probably, he looks like a cool dude to hang out with over a beer.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

whoda thunkit posted:

Yeah that really is cool, I'd like to have it on a shirt. I also like how her sinewy arms show how tough she probably is. They look pretty strong, maybe she was a former adventurer or something, further enhanced by her posture which is the opposite of what you'd expect from an older lady.

Muto is really intriguing to me as well as there has to be a good story behind that scar and nobody can be that chill all the time. I bet on full moons he goes apeshit and starts gnawing on vagrants. Or maybe I'm being too cynical, yeah probably, he looks like a cool dude to hang out with over a beer.

The story behind Mutos scar is depressing as poo poo. I don't want to spoil but it's just :smith: personified.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Testekill posted:

The story behind Mutos scar is depressing as poo poo. I don't want to spoil but it's just :smith: personified.

Really? I don't remember it coming up in game or anything, better check Suikosource and...

:catstare:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Aramek posted:

Really? I don't remember it coming up in game or anything, better check Suikosource and...

Yeah, I did that too. I... really don't remember that actually coming up. Or, at least, not the specifics. When does that even happen? I guess we'll figure that out when it does, huh.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

yokaiy posted:

Yeah, I did that too. I... really don't remember that actually coming up. Or, at least, not the specifics. When does that even happen? I guess we'll figure that out when it does, huh.

He probably had to deal with someone indulging their inner :godwin:. Probably from Harmonia, given their unfortunate caste system.

Still loving these costume analyses. The insights you uncover about the characters from their costumes is a fantastic addition! I'm looking forward to what you'll be saying about a certain someone from Hugo 2.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Genso Suikogaiden - Playthrough 1 - Part 1 - Them's Some Fancy Digs

Hey guys. Today, we're gonna do something a little different. Today, we'll be playing volume one of Suikogaiden!

Genso Suikogaiden is a set of two visual novels previously unavailable outside of Japan. Well, actually, it's still not, but the first volume has just been translated. I will also be going through the second volume as well, when it's translated. They follow our new friend Nash Latkje (which I am convinced is pronounced latke like the food and is thus excellent) some 15 years prior to the events of Suikoden III.

So, why am I showing this off?

Well, for one, Nash is a pretty important guy in III, so seeing where he's come from is going to be pretty insightful on it's own. However, the two also deal with events leading up to III (although more in the second volume than the first), as well as provides some neat-o background on Harmonia, which plays a large role in III.

(Also, I'd like to apologize for the tiny screen shots, but shenanigans happened, and this is the best I could do without making the images gross and blurry or stretched.)

Anyway, let's get this started.

This is my first playthrough with Zosephine, in which neither of us really know what we're doing. I had some knowledge of plot and such, but otherwise we're just going with whatever. I'll be playing through multiple times so that you can see all the branching paths this game has to offer.

Zosephine was unavailable to help me out with post-commentary, though. Maybe next time.

First, volume 1 has a pretty awesome opening, so you should watch this video I found of it.

Or, just listen to the song here.

It features Nash, of course. And a bird.

And a place that got burned down.

And Luca Blight!

And some other characters and events from II.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it's cool and that you should really watch it when you get a chance.

We start off in a picturesque field, as Nash starts monologuing in our general direction.

The background goes dark when he's having an inner monologue. I'll be typing them out in italics, for future reference.

Our hero is interrupted, but ignores his mysterious companion to continue giving us some backstory.

The blocks on the side of the text bubble are, by the way, our Luck Points. We can have a total of 10, and currently we have 0. Different dialogue and action choices may give luck or take it away, along with points towards other things as well.

My name is Nash.

Nash Latkje.

As a special ops agent of Holy Harmonia's Souther Frontier Defense Force, I've been send on an important mission to infiltrate this land.

: "Hey, I told you not to sway so much."

The Defense Force has received information that one of the '27 True Runes' has appeared in the City-States of Jowston. I'm her to find out if this legendary True Rune really does exist, and if it does, try to obtain it for Harmonia.

Nothing out of the ordinary. I get orders like this all the time. It'd be nice if things actually worked out for once.

: "Oh, my headache is getting even worse. Now I will never be able to fall asleep."

Sometimes I wonder if this is karma. Chasing rumors like this is like trying to catch a cloud, anyone will tell you it's a waste of time. At least I have some kind of lead this time...

: "Sigh... you really are useless, are you not? We will never reach Muse at this rate."

:allears: Well, hello there, you lady. How did you get up there?

: "Stop complaining up there!!! Why! Must! I! Be! Your baggage boy?! If anyone is useless, it's you, not me!"

: "Sigh... There you go, mouthing off like that again... I thought you wanted clues about the 'True Runes,' hm?"

Sierra, as you may recall, is a fairly important character from Suikoden II, and is implied to have become Nash's wife some time between the Suikogaiden games and Suikoden III.

: "I might have said something like that, but..."

: "And besides, you were the one who offered to carry my luggage in the first place."

There are some other important things about her, but we'll get to that in a moment.

: "But... that was..."

: "Hmph... I only, and very grudgingly, agreed to travel with you because you said you would do anything, even carry my luggage, if I told you my story. You are not going to tell me that you lied, are you?"

Nash drops to the ground with a thud.

: "I was thinking more along the lines of a handbag or something... It's pointless... It's pointless for me to try and reason with a 1000-year old vampire..."

Oh, did we mention that Sierra is a vampire? Because she's a vampire.

She may look like a sweet young lady on the outside, but inside she's nothing but a sly and arrogant old woman who doesn't have even an ounce of shame. She's supposedly the rightful bearer of one of the 27 True Runes the 'Moon Rune.'

Which would mean that she's the 'founder' of all vampires, those beings who dwell in darkness.

Well... she's the only 'clue' I've got.

: "But I never agreed to carry you as well!"

: "I am starving and I have not slept in ages. It would be cruel to make me walk through a wasteland like this."

: "If you feel that strongly about it, why didn't you just hire a carriage?"

: "I could not hire a carriage in the last town, as they were all out. There was simply no helping it. More importantly..."

If she was going to continue, it's cut off as a carriage passes by, as if on cue.

A cute family of puppies. :3:

: "No, you can't! It's mine!"

: "I just wanna look! Come on, let me see it!"

: "Dear me... I'm glad you two are so energetic, but you mustn't fight."

Especially not in front of the driver.

: "......... Shut up."

: "It'll be fine! Let me see it! Let me see it!!!"

: "No way! It's mine... ah!"

: "!!!"

As Sierra watched, the toy the Kobold children were fighting over slipped out of one of their hands and flew through the air, landing right at my feet.

It was a wooden doll. It was extremely well-made, for a toy. Are Kobolds good enough with their hands to make something like this?

I'd call him out for being racist, but I think that there just aren't many Kobolds in Harmonia. And those that are are probably very low-class. So Nash simply not knowing and wondering out of curiosity isn't that far-fetched.

: "Return that to them, right away! Right away! Quickly!"

: "Huh? What're you getting so worked up about?"

He doesn't get an answer, but I don't think he was really expecting one.

: "Here you go. Don't drop it next time, okay?"

:3:

: "You're brothers, so try to get along and not fight too much, alright?"

: : "Okaaay!"

: "Well, then, please excuse us."

The trotting sound effect plays again, so I guess they ride away. I sort of wish this game had more scenes and images to it. But I don't actually know if this isn't enough, or I'm just not used to visual novels.

Anyway, Sierra speaks up once the sound has completely faded.

: "That's not very nice... You got something against Kobolds, or what?"

: "It is none of your business. That would have been a good time to ask for a ride, though."

: "Ah! drat it! I should have asked if they had any room for us..."

: "In any case... I am still extremely thirsty."

: "Sigh... Well, you'll just have to hold on until we reach Muse, won't you."

: "Hmm..."

: "Though I'm pretty sure this rumor about the True Rune is exactly that; just a rumor."

The 27 True Runes are the source of energy for this world. It's said that their bearers gain immortality and incredible strength...

I wouldn't believe it for a second, if I wasn't traveling with one of them...

: "Ah, I'm pleased to see that your physical condition isn't so bad that you can't walk, O Honored Founder."

: "My condition... You cannot begin to fathom what kind of condition I am in."

: "You think? I'm glad I don't..."

It usually only takes about two days to get to Muse, but who knows how long it'll take at this pace. I hope we won't be too late...

Hm? Sierra's being surprisingly quiet...

HMM.

Well, now!

: "Woaahh!! W-W-What are you trying to do to me?!"

: "What? It is just a little blood."

Here, we have a choice to make. Sierra's being sort of a buttface, though, so Zo and I decided on the second option.

: "Ugh... Is complaining the only thing you can do? Why do you not try and be of some use to me? I should be focusing on getting the Moon Rune back. I allowed you to accompany me because you said you wanted to find out more about the True Runes, but what do you do? You just complain and complain, endlessly. You good-for-nothing!"

: "I-I get it! I get it... Just don't bite me! I won't complain anymore!"

: "Hmph. I sincerely hope you do not. But I suppose you believe in the superstition that you would become a vampire too, if I sucked your blood."

: "Y... yes...?"

: "Are you beginning to see how this works?"

: "Y-yes, ma'am..."

: "Sigh... The sun's gonna set soon. Looks like we'll be camping out tonight. We'd better start making preparations... Hey, Sierra, get up already!"

: "Sierra? Sierra! Sierra!!!"

I could make an obvious joke here, but I'll let the thread take care of that.

: "... ...... She's fast asleep..."

We picked the nicer choice this time. I think she hits Nash again if you keep calling her an old bat.

Either way, she wakes up.

: "What? Are we there yet?"

: "Yeah, right... It looks like we're going to be camping out again tonight, so don't you think we'd better start getting ready?"

: "Camping, huh... There should be a mansion near here. We will stay the night there."

: "A mansion? Near here? Are you sure? A decent meal and a soft bed would really hit the spot!"

: "I cannot promise they will offer lodging to a baggage-boy like you, but you can try asking."

: "Yeah, yeah..."

Scenery change!

Perched atop a high hill, the mansion loomed over the road. A tall tower with a dome-shaped roof rose out of the middle of the building, giving it an oddly unbalanced look.

Maybe this is the estate of some rich lord or other who owns a bunch of land around here.

We stood at the entrance to the mansion.

I expected to have to beg a grumpy gatekeeper to let us stay the night, but instead we were promptly greeted by a well-groomed butler.

: "Uhh... well... how should I put this..."

: "Well? State our business. What are you waiting for?"

: "?"

: "Uhh... well... that's... We were hoping we could stay the night here."

: "Pardon?"

: "Well, this woman, Sierra, says she's going to spend the night. Could you put us up for the night?"

: "You're traveling with... Lady Sierra? P-please wait just a moment, I'll see if we can accommodate you..."

: "Huh? He sounded like he knew you or something. Do you know someone here?"

: "Quite. You could say that we are old friends."

: " 'Old' friends, huh..."

:haw:

: "Stu... N-no... not at all... You must have been imagining things..."

: "Sigh..."

: "Hey... Just a..."

: "I'm saved... I really owe ya one, buddy."

: "Pardon?"

: "Ah, nothing. I was just talking to myself. Come on, Sierra, let's go in! A hot bath would really do the trick right about now... I'm covered in dirt from all this traveling, I can't wait to wash it all away! Come on, Sierra. Hurry it up! Get a move on!"

: "Really, what an impulsive man you are."

We were shown into the lavishly decorated mansion.

: "I will guide you to your room. Please, this way..."

I think it's funny that we get to see this background for all of two lines, before jumping to...

An entirely different background.

: "And what do you know of furniture? Though this room is not bad, I suppose."

: "Please use this room as you wish. The bath is being prepared in another room."

: "Hmm... good work. I trust that a meal will be offered after the bath?"

: "Don't you think that's asking a bit much? It wouldn't kill you to show a little self-restraint, would it?"

: "Please pardon me. Arrangements will be made immediately."

: "You say that, but you are not any better yourself."

: "........."

It's nice to see them using a rational number of dots in this game. 9 is way better than the usual 12 of III.

: "Whew! I've finally washed off all that dirt, I feel like a new man! If I had to carry that luggage of your one more day, I would've shriveled up and died. After we eat, I'm ready to just sink into that soft, fluffy bed and get some sleep..."

: "That might be hoping for too much."

: "Hm?"

: "Call it a young maiden's intuition."

: "Sarcastic...?"

The one time he was being sincere, ahaha.

Suddenly, a maid walks in.

: "Wow! You guys sure are polite here. Thanks!"

: "Your hard work is appreciated. By the way, how do you open the windows in this room?"

: "Eh...? You cannot open the windows? Oh, I'm terribly sorry! It seems I was in such a rush to prepare your room that I forgot to unlock the windows."

: "It's fine, don't worry about it. Miss... uh..."

: "Oh, I'm called Ayana. If there is anything I can do for you, please just let me know."

: "Ah. We're the ones at fault, showing up out of the blue like we did. I don't mind leaving the window closed, it's fine."

: "No, it's entirely my fault, please forgive my negligence. I'll go get the key right away. Otherwise you won't be able to let in any fresh air."

: "Thank you. However, the key is in the waiting room on the third floor, I couldn't possibly ask you to go all that way. Please wait here, and I'll bring you the key right away."

Ayana leaves.

Jealous? :smuggo:

: "W-who was flirting?! I was just trying to be nice!"

: "You were trying to be nice? That is not what it looked like to me."

: "Just leave me alone!"

This guy is always saving Nash's butt, huh.

: "Wow, this guy must be loaded!"

: "Do not stare like that. You obviously were not brought up very well."

: "I may not look like it, but I actually had a very good upbringing."

He comes from a pretty rich family, if you were wondering. You wouldn't think it, considering what a dweebish sleaze he turned out to be.

: "Alright then, no sense in waiting, let's eat!"

: "Please... show some restraint. Wolfing down your food like that... you are no better than a dog."

: "Huh? You should dig in too, Sierra. Aren't you going to eat? It's good."

: "Do not talk with your mouth full."

: "Don't worry over the little things, and always enjoy your food! That's the way it's done in the Latkje household!"

: "Would you like more soup?"

: "Ah, yes, please."

: "Heheh. You sure seem to be enjoying your food. It was worth making it just for that."

: "You made this?"

: "I just helped. Oh my, you've got some food on your face!"

Had we been nice, Sierra would have helped us out instead, for what that's worth. She also would have called Nash a slob.

: "You're in such a rush, don't worry. Your food isn't going to run away. Please wait while I prepare another serving."

: "You seem to be enjoying yourselves. Would you care for some wine?"

: "Hmm. By all means."

: "Certainly."

: "By the way, butler, is there something wrong with your master? It has been so long since I saw him last, I was hoping to get the chance to see him again."

: "I'm terribly sorry. At the moment, my master is busy attending to an urgent matter that requires his attention... He asked me to give you his regards, Lady Sierra."

: "Is that so? I cam all this way to visit him and this is the reception I get? How cold."

: "Nonetheless, this is a very nice mansion. It is well-maintained."

: "I am honored by your praise."

Oh my gosh there is so much DIALOGUE in visual novels.

: It is a place of worship. Our master is a very devout man."

I mean, this isn't actually surprising, but still!

: "Huh. The view from up there must be amazing. Could I go up and have a look tomorrow?"

My hands...

: "I'm very sorry, but you may not enter the tower without the master's permission."

I'm sure that will never come up, right?

: "Does you master go into the tower often?"

: "Yes. It is a place where he can be alone, to meditate and reflect."

: "Hm..."

Chill out, man. I know Sierra's pushy (and also a vampire), but no need to be so on-edge around her.

Nash is kind enough to break the silence.

: "Hahaha! Whew... I'm stuffed! My compliments to the chef! His cooking would be a huge hit even in Crystal Valley."

: "I'm pleased it was satisfactory."

: "Yes, that was quite a feast. Please convey my gratitude to the chef and your master as well."

: "It would be my pleasure. I will give your message to my master tomorrow, if circumstances permit."

: "Hmph. So am I to assume that I will not be speaking to him tonight?"

: "Aw, have a little restraint for once, Sierra. You'll upset your stomach."

The two head back into their room, but we get a little bonus in light of us being omnipresent.

HMM, things sure are getting suspicious around here! We'll see what's going down another time, though!

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 29, 2013

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I've been meaning to play this ever since I heard it got translated, but I guess you're saving me the trouble, so yay on that.

I did read a summary on Suikosource ages ago though. IIRC, volume 1 is mostly Nash-oriented stuff and volume 2 focuses on events related to Suikoden 2, yeah?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:haw: Glad to be of service!

Other way around, actually. Volume 1 has Nash dicking around during the events of II, and volume 2 has him doing his own thing a few months after the war in II ended.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Squirrel Ranger Red, out of commission!

Rarely has the term "old bat" been more appropriate.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
Oh my goodness I'm in love with this already. Sierra already stood out as my favorite dark horse character from 2 and Nash is so awesome in 3. Seeing them interact is absolutely priceless, I'm loving every bit of dialogue.

Does anyone else who's played Blazblue hear Sierra's lines as read by Rachel Alucard?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For games not released outside of Japan, I was surprised that the opening movie song had English lyrics. The banter between Sierra and Nash is also quite enjoyable.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I am so happy the Suikoden tradition of blowing at least a quarter of their budget on :krad: opening movies still holds true for these games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

For games not released outside of Japan, I was surprised that the opening movie song had English lyrics. The banter between Sierra and Nash is also quite enjoyable.

As I understand things it's used artisticly in Japanese music, like how Ricky Martin (there's a pop star you haven't thought about in 20 years) sometimes sang in Spanish and other artists will use Spanish or French and such.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Rarely has the term "old bat" been more appropriate.

:cripes: I am ashamed at not actually thinking about that until just now.

Gosh, Sierra, it's not even an insult -- it's a fact! Why're you getting so mad at Nash about it?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Bruceski posted:

As I understand things it's used artisticly in Japanese music, like how Ricky Martin (there's a pop star you haven't thought about in 20 years) sometimes sang in Spanish and other artists will use Spanish or French and such.

Yeah, throwing in English words is cool to the point of normal in Japan. (Then again, there are a lot of English words just in daily conversations as well.) Currents wouldn't be the first completely-in-English Japanese song I've encountered in relation to a game, and it certainly won't be the last. It's impressive when it's sung well enough to sound fluent, though, like the OST from .hack//SIGN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A big example of Japanese games with completely English openings would be the recent Phantasy Star games. It's not that uncommon, really.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

:cripes: I am ashamed at not actually thinking about that until just now.

Gosh, Sierra, it's not even an insult -- it's a fact! Why're you getting so mad at Nash about it?

Because this bat clearly doesn't look a day over 600!

...I realize this is off topic and all, but what the hell is up with your avatar? I'm pretty sure I've seen it on other people, too. What kind of thread spawns something like that?

vvv That's almost a bit disappointingly normal :D

Thanks, it's really been bugging me.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 28, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

vilkacis posted:

Because this bat clearly doesn't look a day over 600!

...I realize this is off topic and all, but what the hell is up with your avatar? I'm pretty sure I've seen it on other people, too. What kind of thread spawns something like that?

I can't recall the exact details, but there was a thread in Trad Games about a card game with a lot of cheesecake anime styled art. One of which involved someone eating a pizza in a more sexual way then one normally eats a pizza. A bunch of people who posted in that thread got hit with those avatars (I think anybody who didn't post about pizza after a certain point got their avatar changed by a mod?)

e: First result when I searched the forums for pizza, humorously enough: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I can't recall the exact details, but there was a thread in Trad Games about a card game with a lot of cheesecake anime styled art. One of which involved someone eating a pizza in a more sexual way then one normally eats a pizza. A bunch of people who posted in that thread got hit with those avatars (I think anybody who didn't post about pizza after a certain point got their avatar changed by a mod?)
That was bullshit, I totally posted about pizza.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

yokaiy posted:

I expected to have to bed a grumpy gatekeeper to let us stay the night, but instead we were promptly greeted by a well-groomed butler.
Oh my, I hope he meant '"beg" a grumpy gatekeeper', other wise I'd start suspecting Nash is actually a relative of Queens Guard Kyle of Falana rather than being Harmonian nobility.
On a serious note though I think I now have to download this.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Strayed posted:

Oh my, I hope he meant '"beg" a grumpy gatekeeper', other wise I'd start suspecting Nash is actually a relative of Queens Guard Kyle of Falana rather than being Harmonian nobility.
On a serious note though I think I now have to download this.

Oh, whoops. Fixed that.

My version was totally better. :colbert:

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 29, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

yokaiy posted:

Oh, whoops. Fixed that.

My version was totally better. :colbert:

Haha, I liked it to. Like "who do I have to blow to get a drink around here?"

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
There was apparently also a Suikoden TCG that never made it outside Japan. Looks like it didn't last very long.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Verbose posted:

There was apparently also a Suikoden TCG that never made it outside Japan. Looks like it didn't last very long.

Well, obviously. People kept on using the card for the ocean, and instantly winning via sapping their opponent's will to live.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You can't make a fun card game with Luca Blight involved. You just can't. Either it's overpowered as hell and takes the fun out of the game, or he's gimped or restricted as hell, at which point he busts out of the card and kicks the maker's rear end for daring to make him weak.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Even worse, what if playing the Circle Rune made it so the game could never end? Combined with The Ocean, that would be the worst card game ever. :suicide:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

yokaiy posted:

Even worse, what if playing the Circle Rune made it so the game could never end? Combined with The Ocean, that would be the worst card game ever. :suicide:

Thanks Yokaiy. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

yokaiy posted:

Circle Rune:
Playing this card causes all cards to have no affect and must be returned to the player's hand upon being played. skipping your turn and discarding is forbidden while the circle rune is in effect, thus giving the appearance of action from a distance while maintaining the glorious status-quo.
This card self-activates after five turns in the player's hand.

Rune of Change:
While active this card forces all players to return their hand to their deck, shuffle and draw a new hand at the beginning of their turn. All players must pack up their cards and resume play at a different location every three turns. If this card is active when the circle rune card is played, both cards are removed from play. Every game involving the rune of change must be spoken of afterwards as if it was distant legend.

Medrex fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 1, 2013

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And that's not even getting into the nasty cards.

Rune of Punishment:
Automatically played when drawn. Remains on the field. Can be activated once per turn. All of your opponent's cards in play and in their hand are discarded. Stab yourself in a different location every time you activate this card. If this card is not activated on any given turn, your opponent can draw cards equal to the number of turns since Rune of Punishment was last activated. If you lose the game or die from blood loss, your opponent must take this card and make it part of their deck.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Wind of Sleep:
Skip the remainder of your turn.
Skip opponent's turn.
Repeat 3 times.

Blinking Rune:
Allows you to freely reposition your units on the board.
After 5 matches you must give this card away to another player.

Beast Rune:
Lure both player's pets into rampaging across the board.
Accept the results of their carnage.
If neither player has a pet then do nothing.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:allears: I have half a mind to put these glorious card descriptions in the OP. Gosh, this would be the best/worst card game ever. Makes me curious to see how the card game actually handles itself.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Card of Hero: Geddoe.

Once per turn, you can flip this card to have Geddoe relax from fighting - all Heroes on the field, and their players, are forced to relax and are unable to act for the remainder of the turn.

Flavor text: Save the world? Eh...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Brunom1 posted:

Card of Hero: Geddoe.

Once per turn, you can flip this card to have Geddoe relax from fighting - all Heroes on the field, and their players, are forced to relax and are unable to act for the remainder of the turn.

Flavor text: Save the world? Eh...

I'd say it's more a coin flip to whether he chills for a round or else clears the battlefield with lightning.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Sun Rune
Whilst in play all active characters have their Max LIFE increased by 10 and regenerate 2 LIFE per turn.
When activated : Douse the board in gasoline and throw sparklers at it.
Screaming “WHERE’S YOUR GOD NOW?” is not a requirement, but it is recommended.

Soul Eater Rune
Pro: When activated it allows you to instantly win the game.
Con: You may only activate it if a friend or relative has just died.

Sovereign Rune
Allows you to ignore the effect of other people’s runes.
You may pretend to still be affected by their runes if it amuses you.

Egbert Aethelbald
6 LIFE, 1 attack power
During your opponent’s turn you may verbally assault them / scream with incoherent rage.
Deduct 1 HP from their base every time you make them visibly uncomfortable.

Elenor Silverberg
8 LIFE, 1 attack power.
May look at opponent’s hand. Must be drunk to use this ability.

Lucretia Merces
8 LIFE, 1 attack power
Look at opponent’s hand and force them to explain their strategy to you.

Luca Blight
99 LIFE, 30 attack power.
DON’T EVEN BOTHER.

Jeane
20 LIFE, 5 attack power.
When Jeane is in play both players must remove one article of clothing at the end of their turn.
Use with extreme caution.

Augustine
20 LIFE, 4 attack power
During the opponent’s turn you may throw flowers at them.
Throwing plant pots is technically allowed, but it is considered unsporting.

Gizel Godwin
25 LIFE, 8 attack.
When played you may take a 10 minute recess to set up elaborate Rube Goldberg catapults to fling items at your opponent during their turn. Throwing items yourself is not allowed, it must be done with minimal direct influence.

The Ocean
Introduces a 5 minute waiting period after each cardplay. There is no counter.

Rune Cannon
Target enemy character and flip a coin.
Heads – Target character is destroyed.
Tails – Target character becomes a horrible fishman.

Rune of the Beginning
Tear this card in two and give half of it to a friend.
You are now enemies for life.

Gate Rune
Allows you to use cards from different card games.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Oh, god damnit, I am trying really hard not to laugh right now and it's not working.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Hm, I think I got another one.

Card of Viki
Once per turn, flip a coin: if it's heads, Viki teleports herself to the opponent's hand; if it's tails, flip it again: heads teleports all of monsters on the field to the graveyard and, if it's tails, the players' decks are teleported and exchanged with one another.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
How about this?

Krin
Effect: Upon playing this card, your opponent must give you their wallet. If you win the game, you must give them your wallet.

Dragon Rune:
Effect: This card must be kept in your hand at all times. If it is ever discarded, discard your entire deck because all the dragons are now dead and it was your fault, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
True Lightning Rune
Effect: Hahahahahaha. Why is your opponent still playing?

• Locked thread