Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I need some advice, Hiking thread.

My husband and I have identical Osprey 3L hydration packs. One of them tastes great. The other one tastes like rear end. To be specific, it tastes kind of like smokey plastic, but they've both had roughly equal use. We've had them for a year and a half now, I think.

How can we get the taste out of the nasty one? They both tasted plasticky when they were new, but the one cleared right up while the other one seemed to just get worse. We've run hot water through it but it didn't seem to help. I'm currently soaking it with hot water and baking soda to see if that does anything. We have a backpacking trip coming up in a couple weeks and he's just about ready to just go buy a new one and hope for better luck... but a new one is going to taste nasty too at first so I don't think it will help him much.

[edit]They've had chlorine tabs in them too so I don't think it's a bacteria thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Trails are often described as being much harder than they really are to scare off idiots who overestimate their own abilities and have to get rescued. Rescue operations are dangerous and costly, so parks try to avoid rescuing people if they don't have to.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Levitate posted:

edit: I think they say that hiking is strenuous and difficult in order to try to keep people from thinking like it's just going for a walk around the block or something like that. It's usually not hard if you're prepared but every year people have to be rescued from the Grand Canyon because they think they can just stroll to the bottom and back during the middle of the day without water or anything

This. In my experience the national parks just want to be overly cautious and do what they can to scare away people who don't have any idea what they're in for. There are a lot of tourists who drive in from who knows where and have never had any experience hiking and are wearing flip flops or flats or whatever poor footwear choice and just have no place being on any kind of trail over a 1 mile scenic loop.

If you're in relatively good shape and have experience hiking and know to carry water then I wouldn't worry too much about any of the national park trails. They're almost all going to be well marked and well traveled and the chances of getting in trouble are pretty low. That being said there are exceptions. Angel's Landing in Zion is well-marked for VERY good reason, there are places where if you aren't paying attention or are moving too fast and not keeping good footing you could fall 2000ft to your death. If you're alright with heights and are cautious though you'll be totally fine.

We came to Zion from hiking in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon and nothing we found in the valley was remotely as difficult as the stuff we're used to doing as regular weekend warrior jaunts around here. We kept looking at the warning signs and being like... really? do they need to warn people about stuff like this? It's really just because of the huge amount of clueless tourists though so don't sweat it too much.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Tagra posted:

My husband and I have identical Osprey 3L hydration packs. One of them tastes great. The other one tastes like rear end. To be specific, it tastes kind of like smokey plastic, but they've both had roughly equal use. We've had them for a year and a half now, I think.

How can we get the taste out of the nasty one? They both tasted plasticky when they were new, but the one cleared right up while the other one seemed to just get worse. We've run hot water through it but it didn't seem to help. I'm currently soaking it with hot water and baking soda to see if that does anything. We have a backpacking trip coming up in a couple weeks and he's just about ready to just go buy a new one and hope for better luck... but a new one is going to taste nasty too at first so I don't think it will help him much.

[edit]They've had chlorine tabs in them too so I don't think it's a bacteria thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Have you tried swapping the hoses between the two to see if it's the hose?

For the guide book/warning conversation, I've found that the more regional/area specific books tend to be much more accurate in their description of trail/backcountry areas. The waytrail I used on Sunday getting down from Hawk Peak was pretty terrible and I wouldn't suggest it to the average person. It dropped about 2500' feet over the course of 2 miles or so, USFS has a sign at the end of it advising novice hikers not to use it. My guide book says:

Robert L. Wood posted:

The Silver Lakes can be reached via an alternate route, an unmaintained way path that joins the main trail less than a mile from the lakes. Follow the instructions given for reaching the Upper Dungeness Trail via FS Road 2860, cross the Dungeness River, then drive 3.6mi/5.8km, still on FS Road 2860, to the Tubal Cain Trail; cross Silver Creek, and continue to an obscure, abandoned logging road which has space for parking two or three vehicles. No indicate the trail begins nearby until one hikes up 300 feet of unmaintained path to a large bulletin board and sign-out station. The trail at this point is surprisingly good and shows evidence of being used, but it is often, but it is often overgrown. Beginning on the west side of Silver Creek, the trail soon crosses to the east side (no bridge). The path more or less follows the creek and after climbing a bit of precipitous terrain, where hikers must use care, it ends in a junction (2.2mi/3.5km) with the main route.

That's a pretty accurate description of the trail. It's harsh and unmaintained, and quite steep in places. When blowdowns occur on that way trail it could be decades before someone clears them, especially since it's wilderness area and no motorized equipment is allowed. I only used the waytrail because it was a convenient way to make my hike into a loop instead of up and down the same trail.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tagra posted:

Try rinsing it out with warm water and soap and then drying it out a bit with a towel and sticking it in the freezer for a few days. That's always kept mine pretty stink free.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Levitate posted:

This came in the mail yesterday :dance:

Awesome pack. As far as the unique pattern goes, all I know is they've been like that for years as I have a ULA pack from 2007 or so with the same thing going on. I was hoping to lighten my pack compared to my Gregory back then as well, but tragically mine was before I think they found a sweet spot for ~30lbs of gear since it had no frame to speak of and has tragically been relegated more to duffelbag duties. Hope yours is what you're looking for, I just have one of Gregory's "lighter" packs nowadays that's more middle-of-the-road for me.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This is a question I had after reading some of the simple frommers guidebooks for the midwest national parks. Every park from canyonlands to grand canyon to arches all say "hiking is strenuous and difficult" etc. Its freaking my wife out who gets paranoid about these things and I dont think it is nearly as bad as they might make it out to be.

Your wife's cautious don't-overestime-yourself mindset is the safer alternative to some in terrain that can get overzealous and under-prepared folks in trouble. I've used trusty Google Image Search for popular trails to get a snapshot of the terrain and basic trail conditions to be able to prepare others accordingly, you might be able to pick a few trails and show her some touristy photos to show trail conditions? Being cautious and turning around on a trail is always safer than pushing on (though also chronically less rewarding).

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Very helpful advice and information from everyone in the thread so far, thank you guys!

We have beginner/moderate experience hiking, no more than maybe 6 hour trips at a time, however not in the kind of terrain and climate that we will be encountering in utah. We are east-coast people, hiked a number of the trails in Great Falls and gunpowder falls, and some other small local ones. We do mostly light hiking as exercise and to build up our stamina, so this will be stretching us a little bit. I am usually overzealous and she is usually over-cautious, so we make a good team...

I am excited to spend time out there though, I've wanted to return since I went as a kid in highschool.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm in the market for a new backpacking tent. I would like a single entrance tent. Weight isn't as much of an issue as packability is. My current tent is 8x22" packed which is just takes up a lot of space that could be used for other things. I am looking at Big Agnes Fly Creek 2, Terra Nova Solar Photon 2, and Big Agnes Seedhouse 2.

Do any of you have any of these tents? My main concern after packability is durability, which makes me lean towards the Terra Nova. Are there other tents I should consider?

edit: Should also note that I am 5'5" and my girlfriend is 5'3" so interior size isn't a huge issue

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 2, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Maybe check out the TarpTent Double Rainbow?

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Lighter and cheaper than a lot of them but you have to order it and read up on the downsides to tarp tents (mainly condensation)

the Fly Creek UL2 is a solid tent, it's what I have now. It's probably not the most durable but if you're reasonably careful with it, then it should be fine.

edit: oh, the double rainbow isn't a single entrance

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cram tent/fly into a compression bag, lash the stakes/poles to the outside of your pack.

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1. It goes together fast and put up with an enormous thunderstorm or three recently. The two person version is pretty similar. That said, I wish I could put up the fly first and then the tent without having to use a footprint. That's worth looking into.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How long have you had your Fly Creek for and do you use a groundcloth?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Massasoit posted:

How long have you had your Fly Creek for and do you use a groundcloth?

I haven't had it too long. I do use a footprint, but it's one I made myself rather than the official footprint. Still I'd recommend using one personally, gives you a little extra protection. Depends somewhat on the terrain and weather.

My brother-in-law is through hiking the AT with his Fly Creek UL2 and as far as I know it has held up great for over 1000 miles now

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
on the topic of tents...

I'm not in any rush to buy a new one as my old North Face Talus 23 is still holding up just fine, but...

I'd love to find something that is much lighter for backpacking (talus is ~6.5lb), and would be a little larger for my girlfriend, myself, and our dog.

We recently picked up his/hers REI camp-bed pads and even though we wouldn't be carrying them backpacking and have lighter pads for that it'd be really nice to find a tent that's large enough to accomidate two of these monstrosities side-by-side for car camping. The dimensions are 72x25 each so we'd want something at least 50" wide.
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad

Does this push me into 3-person tent territory or can I find a 2-person that should work alright? I was looking at the Fly Creek UL2 a while ago and while it looks like it is 52" wide I just couldn't tell if that was realistically wide enough to get these 3.5" high mats in side by side without pressing against the walls too much. I also typically like to keep a good amount of my gear in the tent with me just for safe keeping but maybe I should just get more comfortable keeping everything in my vestibules.

I suppose the alternative is that I buy a UL 2-man for backpacking and then worry about getting a slightly larger car-camping tent down the road, I just thought it'd be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

MMD3 posted:

on the topic of tents...

I'm not in any rush to buy a new one as my old North Face Talus 23 is still holding up just fine, but...

I'd love to find something that is much lighter for backpacking (talus is ~6.5lb), and would be a little larger for my girlfriend, myself, and our dog.

We recently picked up his/hers REI camp-bed pads and even though we wouldn't be carrying them backpacking and have lighter pads for that it'd be really nice to find a tent that's large enough to accomidate two of these monstrosities side-by-side for car camping. The dimensions are 72x25 each so we'd want something at least 50" wide.
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad

Does this push me into 3-person tent territory or can I find a 2-person that should work alright? I was looking at the Fly Creek UL2 a while ago and while it looks like it is 52" wide I just couldn't tell if that was realistically wide enough to get these 3.5" high mats in side by side without pressing against the walls too much. I also typically like to keep a good amount of my gear in the tent with me just for safe keeping but maybe I should just get more comfortable keeping everything in my vestibules.

I suppose the alternative is that I buy a UL 2-man for backpacking and then worry about getting a slightly larger car-camping tent down the road, I just thought it'd be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html or http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
perhaps http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html which is also 52" but can widen to 62" (loses height).
All have lots of vestibule room for dog/gear and are under a few lbs.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html or http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
perhaps http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html which is also 52" but can widen to 62" (loses height).
All have lots of vestibule room for dog/gear and are under a few lbs.

should've mentioned that I'm really hoping for a freestanding tent because a lot of the places we regularly camp have very rocky soil.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

MMD3 posted:

should've mentioned that I'm really hoping for a freestanding tent because a lot of the places we regularly camp have very rocky soil.

Oh okay. Maybe go with a 3-person Big Agnes UL tent then, should have plenty of extra room in it for gear and dog and still be light enough to backpack with especially split with two people. The Fly Creek UL2 is exactly 52" across, no extra room in that one.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

Business of Ferrets posted:

What is it with the graph-paper motif of all the UL stuff? It looks like pants I had in the 80s. Or contact paper from my mom's pantry. Does the fabric only come in one style? Or is it visual branding so that everyone knows it's ultra light?

The ULA Circuit is made with a Dyneema (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) reinforced nylon ripstop fabric. Dyneema is so dense that it can not absorb dye which gives it the "graph-paper motif". Because it is 15 times stronger than steel by weight it allows you to use a much lighter nylon base fabric without compromising strength, which is why you see it on ultralight stuff all the time. Comes in all kinds of colors, but the Dyneema will always be white.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Cram tent/fly into a compression bag, lash the stakes/poles to the outside of your pack.

Run your poles vertically inside your pack in the hydration sleeve pocket rather than lashing them (or really anything you don't want to lose or get damaged) to the outside of your pack.

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 3, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Oh okay. Maybe go with a 3-person Big Agnes UL tent then, should have plenty of extra room in it for gear and dog and still be light enough to backpack with especially split with two people. The Fly Creek UL2 is exactly 52" across, no extra room in that one.

Yeah the fit is tight in the UL2 for two people and a (small) dog. Doable, but tight. If you have wide sleeping pads then it could be a nonstarter

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

i_heart_ponies posted:

The ULA Circuit is made with a Dyneema (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) reinforced nylon ripstop fabric. Dyneema is so dense that it can not absorb dye which gives it the "graph-paper motif". Because it is 15 times stronger than steel by weight it allows you to use a much lighter nylon base fabric without compromising strength, which is why you see it on ultralight stuff all the time. Comes in all kinds of colors, but the Dyneema will always be white.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense! So I guess "total white" is the way to go to avoid looking like something out of Tron, eh? (Also explains why my Dyneema runners are almost all white with some color highlights.)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Levitate posted:

Yeah the fit is tight in the UL2 for two people and a (small) dog. Doable, but tight. If you have wide sleeping pads then it could be a nonstarter

think UL3 might be the way to go, yeah.... I can also get a 50% discount on Mt. Hardwear gear so I think I'll see if they have an equivalent tent before deciding. If I want to do a lightweight summer trip I can always leave the fly at home and make the UL3 pretty light.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I climbed Slide Mountain, highest mountain in the Catskills, yesterday. It was my first 4000 footer! (Well, I've done higher stuff out west, but comparing that to the East Coast is just going to get me down.)

The Curtis-Ormsbee trail was spectacular where it wasn't a river.

It was my first time reaching the balsam fir / birch tree zone. I loved it.

Kind of a bust at the summit -- I could barely see ten meters, so no vistas for me -- but at least it didn't start pouring until I was on my way down.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Most of the comments regarding guidebooks have matched my observations as well. Even online communities will have reviews that are biased by the posters --- the standard problem of the meaning of "4 of 5 stars". Those guides and warnings have to be written to provide legal standing in situations where people think they're entitled to take their Dachshund walking group and babies strollers to McClellan Butte "for the pictures".

Remember also that these guides should be taking the weather into consideration. I expect they're allowed to assume that people won't start hiking if the lightning is twelve yards away in the middle of a deluge --- How many people actually know the correct formula for "counting" the distance to a lightning strike? I wonder --- but many in the crowd will start a hike with, "Oh, that's just a little rain cloud; it might drizzle for a few minutes", and then slip on the trail and break a leg or get stuck at the top of a hill that's turned to a solid wall of mud. People saw Stallone hang half upside down from a wire with one hand, so they know they can do it in an emergency. Plastic snowshoes from the nearest discount sporting goods store are enough to cross glaciers on Rainier if Captain Kirk can escape from Rura Penthe. Any ice axe bought on sale from REI is sufficient to ascend any slope in Courmayeur. A Jeep can drive anywhere, those big logging trucks can just plow up the hill through the trees in a real emergency, and a helicopter can land anywhere or airlift anything.

Yes, I'm sure the rangers and guidebook authors have seen the movies too... and maybe cried a little inside for the next season of emergency rescues.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Most of the park guests of that sort I deal with don't even give any thought to the how of a rescue. It's just "We can call you if we get in trouble right?" or "You'll come rescue us if we get hurt, right?".

When I tell them that cell service is spotty up the mountain and they probably won't be able to reach us, or that if we have to do a litter carry it'll be a 6 hour affair if they're lucky, they usually get a worried look.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

MMD3 posted:

Speaking of product returns. Does anybody have much experience with Patagonia? I have a down sweater jacket that is only a year and a half old, I bought it at a Patagonia store here in Portland and it's developed a hole that is leaking down. Normally I'd say, oh, my fault, I snagged it on something and just let it ride but the hole is right over where the cinch is for the waist drawcord so it's clear that just the placement of the cinch caused for too much abrasion in the fabric. It seems like it could be a design flaw that could be fixed pretty easily with just some reenforcing there or a repositioning of the cinch.

Is this something that is worth bringing in to Patagonia or am I being an rear end for thinking that's on them?

It's an issue, I have a hoody with the same problem. I think snug fit/cinching it down + jeans is just a poor combo.

Bring it into the store, they can probably repair it if you can live without it for two weeks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which Vibrams are the best suited for hiking?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

The type that is attached to the bottom of shoes intended for hiking or trail running?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The toe shoes.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

In my experience neither, as much as you'd like them to be, uphill and downhill will be a problem with both traction and padding. I bruised the balls of my feet trail running down a rocky trail (even landing softly as I could, and I know how to barefoot run, I strictly run in these on pavement), I slipped and twisted my ankle hiking on sandstone trails in Bikilas and how the toes kept suctioning off of my feet while running in mud in the KomodoSport LS and tiny gravel got in through the mesh on them but won't come out - forever stuck in the lining. These are my shoes of choice for ALL street/pavement running, or walking, but not on trails.
I recommend these if you want to trail run or hike minimalist:
http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot~2#!/vivobarefoot-sneakers-athletic-shoes/CK_XARC81wE6AssLUgKCGVoCghniAgULCgECBw.zso

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Any reason I should use a camelbak fourteener for day hikes, specifically pikes peak next weekend?

I would also like recommendations for a water purifier, light, as cheap as possible, and capable of filling bladders. We have purification pills already but I was thinking about a pump or squeeze bag purifier.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you like camelbak-style hydration systems, then they're the choice you want for everything. If you prefer bottles, then they're the better choice in every situation. Actual camelbak-brand packs tend to be mediocre.

I prefer pills, personally, and carry a coffee filter if I'm unsure about the water sources. I think the MSR Hyperflow is one of the smallest full-feature filters available.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

PRADA SLUT posted:

I used to hike a lot (14ers, Front Range Colorado, RMNP) in KSO Treks, but got tired of the pounding my soles took on downhills. I'm back to trailrunners (Salomon XA Comps, I think) and the VFFs are now camp shoes.

Ropes4u posted:

I would also like recommendations for a water purifier, light, as cheap as possible, and capable of filling bladders. We have purification pills already but I was thinking about a pump or squeeze bag purifier.

I used to take a Katadyn pump on backcountry dayhikes/overnights, but now just use Aquamira drops. Is there a compelling reason why you want to pump? Alternatively, I'd recommend a Platypus gravity setup.

Apparently, I'm all about the used-to-be's in this post.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 6, 2013

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

I used to take a Katadyn pump on backcountry dayhikes/overnights, but now just use Aquamira drops. Is there a compelling reason why you want to pump? Alternatively, I'd recommend a Platypus gravity setup.

I thought a pump would be best to refill the bladders for five people and avoid the bad taste of pills/drops.

I am headed to REI tomorrow to see if I like one of the below packs. Am i missing anything obvious, we will probably only day hike:

1. Camelbak fourteener, my wife loves hers but she cheap and wouldn't change packs unless it died.
2. Osprey stratos 26
3. Deuter Futura 26
4. Deuter ACT Trail 24

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

PRADA SLUT posted:

A (spergy) pet peeve of mine, but vibram is a kind of boot sole, or more specifically, a company that manufactures said boot soles. The toe shoes are FiveFingers.

Suddenly their toe shoe gets popular and the term we've been using for decades gets mis-assigned. :argh:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm new to hiking and camping and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books that are like, "Camping and hiking for dummies!" that they might recommend?

Never in my life did I ever want to go hiking or camping until recently. I've done some camping with Girl Scouts growing up and hated it. I want to do an overnight camping trip in Maine but I'm not sure I'd know the first thing about what to bring and pack, and I like to have a physical book in front of me when I'm leaning something new.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

REI has some good intro to hiking/backpacking stuff on their website if you look for it, including a list of stuff to pack

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"

I love the hell out of that book. I think Shnooks is looking for something more instructional, but A Walk in the Woods is a worthwhile read anyway. I love the mix of humor, history, and science.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I'm new to hiking and camping and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books that are like, "Camping and hiking for dummies!" that they might recommend?

Never in my life did I ever want to go hiking or camping until recently. I've done some camping with Girl Scouts growing up and hated it. I want to do an overnight camping trip in Maine but I'm not sure I'd know the first thing about what to bring and pack, and I like to have a physical book in front of me when I'm leaning something new.

You might want to look for a group of people to go with.

http://www.backpacking.net/beginner.html

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Shnooks posted:

I've always been a fan of Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

TerminalSaint posted:

A (spergy) pet peeve of mine, but vibram is a kind of boot sole, or more specifically, a company that manufactures said boot soles. The toe shoes are FiveFingers.

Suddenly their toe shoe gets popular and the term we've been using for decades gets mis-assigned. :argh:

A (spergy) pet peeve of mine: it's pronounced "veebram" not "viberam".

EDIT FOR RADNESS:

Oh hey I went on a very pretty backpack a couple of weeks ago. My girlfriend and I had the same days off for once, so we got to do a quick and easy overnighter up to Helms Lake in the Mount Evans Wilderness. She hadn't been out for a while, so we decided to go pretty heavy (well for me anyway, I was grumpy) and bring the big tent and wine and stuff. A snowshoe hare stole my trekking poles from underneath my sleeping body and gnawed up the handles during the night. I went home and ate a pizza. All in all, a very good trip. Here are picture.

You head up through alternating forests of aspens and pines,

and cross Scott Gomer creek a bunch of times.

There's a nice open area with good campsites just before Helms Lake at 11,730'

The views are alright. That's Epaulet Mtn in the background. You've also got a view of Mt. Evans and Mt. Bierstadt, along with Bierstadt's east ridge.

The pines were getting frisky in the breeze on our way down. We were covered in pollen, especially from brushing through the pines with our packs / bodies.

There were a number of perfect looking Colorado Blue Columbines (the state flower) just off the side of the trail too.

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 7, 2013