Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RocketDarkness posted:

Turn your brightness up. The adjuster says to make it so you can just barely see the 6, but forget that. Crank it as high as you need! It doesn't only go from 1-10, either; it has a pretty wide range.

Yeah I've got it up to 35 out of 40. It's mostly okay but I just wish I could turn the drat thing on if I need to.

Also I thought Leon's campaign was supposed to be the best. Guess I heard wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Leon's campaign might be a lot better without the grabby zombies knocking a whole square off just for touching you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So the Claire campaign was a lie?

Man all the DLC is just multi crap.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'd kill for more campaign action (or even just more mercenaries!) with the RE6 engine. It's the most fun I've had moving around in a third-person shooter since the first Gears of War.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If anyone's interested, the same kid who posts the art from that Japanese mobile game is now scanning and translating pages from the official Revelations artbook.

This link should get you to what's been done so far.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Geight posted:

I'd kill for more campaign action (or even just more mercenaries!) with the RE6 engine. It's the most fun I've had moving around in a third-person shooter since the first Gears of War.

This is why I can't wait to see how 7 turns out. The gameplay is really satisfying and much more creative than most shooters out. If the flow and focus of the next game turns into 4/Revelations it would lead to people playing it for years and buying tons of dlc to spend more time learning and enjoying the gameplay. I guess what I want is RE4 with all the gameplay of 6 and whatever gets tweaked leading to the next game.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Yodzilla posted:

Also I thought Leon's campaign was supposed to be the best. Guess I heard wrong.

Nope. It's a shame his is first on the list too causing so many people to have a terrible first experience with the game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chris' campaign isn't much better.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Chris' campaign isn't much better.

Maybe not a lot, but Chris', Jake's and Ada's are all better than Leon's so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's second on the list and it's the second worst campaign by a slim margin.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

It also lets you get right into the game and use all of your abilities without walking through a bunch of slow setpieces first.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hey, I believe you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It's second on the list and it's the second worst campaign by a slim margin.

Chris' campaign is probably the best actually. Jake's has better highs but lower lows. (The loving snowstorm level.) Chris' is the one with the least amount of bullshit getting in the way of just punching notzombies in the face.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Chris has the Humvee level, a ton of dumb bullshit QTEs, consistently terrible bosses and an absolutely awful second half as soon as it reaches China.

Resident Evil 6's best isn't very good, but it's not that bad.

Ada's campaign is probably the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Chris has the Humvee level, a ton of dumb bullshit QTEs, consistently terrible bosses and an absolutely awful second half as soon as it reaches China.

Resident Evil 6's best isn't very good, but it's not that bad.

Huh? The QTE quantity is less than both Leon and Jake and the Humvee level, while stupid, is relatively short compared to what you have to put up with in the other campaigns.

Chris's campaign is the one with the least amount of setpieces which take away the basic gameplay. It still has a lot of setpieces because Resident Evil 6 but at least you're mostly shooting and/or punching guys during it. Jake's campaign is filled to the brim with stealth segments, vehicle sections, QTEs, turret segments, the snowfield in general... it's probably the best when you're actually just getting to play the game but you don't get to do that much.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 3, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

This is the only part of your post that bothers me but at least we can agree on Chris' bosses being poo poo all the way through.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Huh? The QTE level is less than both Leon and Jake and the Humvee level, while stupid, is relatively short compared to what you have to put up with in the other campaigns.

The Humvee level's longer than the snowstorm level and the plane section in Leon's and it's infuriatingly boring and poorly realized. Same with every single stage of Chris' final boss. As a whole, the Humvee level lacks even the small amount of spectacle of the snowstorm level and goes on for a very long time due to the unclear failure parameters and the tediousness of the actual gameplay involved in it.

I never had any trouble with the QTEs in Leon or Jake's campaigns. Chris were just pointlessly rammed in and nonsensical.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

The Humvee level's longer than the snowstorm level and the plane section in Leon's and it's infuriatingly boring and poorly realized. Same with every single stage of Chris' final boss. As a whole, the Humvee level lacks even the small amount of spectacle of the snowstorm level and goes on for a very long time due to the unclear failure parameters and the tediousness of the actual gameplay involved in it.

I never had any trouble with the QTEs in Leon or Jake's campaigns. Chris were just pointlessly rammed in and nonsensical.

Uh, no. The Humvee segment is literally 10 minutes long, give or take a few minutes if you drive around goofily in the parking garage. It's basically on-rails so it isn't a very long sequence at all. That is not longer than Jake's bullshit.

It's a little weird to have trouble with QTEs in one campaign and not the others, but as far as pure numbers go, Chris has the fewest, besides maybe Ada.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 3, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sorry, that was unclear, by 'snowstorm' I meant the avalance escape sequence and 'plane section' I meant the bit where you have to 'control' the plane.

I forgot that the rest of that level took place in a literal snowstorm.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I didn't realize it was possible to lose the Humvee sequence because the game said so until I tried not boosting at all and, considering the parking lot is the only chance for a game over to be reasonable, it's less terrible than Jake's snowmobile sequence.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

A Bystander posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to lose the Humvee sequence because the game said so until I tried not boosting at all and, considering the parking lot is the only chance for a game over to be reasonable, it's less terrible than Jake's snowmobile sequence.

For some reason, it took me 21 tries to clear that sequence the first time. I had to TAP the X button to actually win, for some reason, since even while boosting and not getting hit/crashing into anything, Ada would still escape.

Seriously, the campaign in RE6 is one of those "Never again" experiences.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Azran posted:

For some reason, it took me 21 tries to clear that sequence the first time. I had to TAP the X button to actually win, for some reason, since even while boosting and not getting hit/crashing into anything, Ada would still escape.

I had some similarly strange, what I assume are bugs, during that sequence. For the longest time, I genuinely had no idea whether or not I was supposed to shoot Ada or something because I'd consistently fail it with no real feedback as to why.

In general, that's a problem that plagues Resident Evil 6.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Weird. My first time through I didn't fail the Humvee chase once. Maybe the Piers player is supposed to shoot Ada to slow her down.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The key is to jam the R1 button as hard as you can. For some reason, if you press the button like a normal person, you won't catch up to her and will eventually lose her.

I enjoyed Leon's campaign quite a bit more than the other 2. I think it has the most varied and interesting gameplay by far and it showed that you can do horror and have updated gameplay.

It also has the best death in the game. Death by Meat Grinder. :getin:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I just wish that the chapters had been split into multiple smaller ones so that lovely driving sequences were kept to their own mini-chapters instead, like that one chapter in RE5.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Having finished RE 6 twice I... can't say I've ever experienced the issues you guys have mentioned. The snowstorm level was a pain in the rear end but the Humvee section was really, really easy for me if anything. Then again I was playing the PC version so maybe mouse and keyboard controls or later patches fixed some issues.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alteisen posted:

So the Claire campaign was a lie?

Man all the DLC is just multi crap.

God dammit, I was really looking forward to that apparently fake Claire Redfield episode. :(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Having finished RE 6 twice I... can't say I've ever experienced the issues you guys have mentioned. The snowstorm level was a pain in the rear end but the Humvee section was really, really easy for me if anything. Then again I was playing the PC version so maybe mouse and keyboard controls or later patches fixed some issues.

Yeah, there were a number of post-launch patches and the PC version had the benefit of all of them. It wouldn't surprise me if they made a couple of things easier like the snowmobile run or the chase scene vs. Carla.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I picked up RE6 and have a few nagging concerns. What is the difference between difficulties? Played the first two acts of Leon's campaign on Normal, and wasn't really impressed. Then tried the exact same on NO HOPE, and I was actually running out of ammo, which was great, but the damage I was taking was a bit too high for me to really enjoy a first play through. Is NO HOPE just Professional difficulty without the benefit of being able to equip skills (while otherwise earning 2x skill points)? Was I running out of ammo because I was just shooting more, or say, does NO HOPE, or else higher difficulties generally also reduce the amount of ammo you can find.

I guess a better question is, what difficulty is recommended if I want some degree of resource (ammo, really) management without necessarily having to get my poo poo packed?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Veteran might be what you want. Decent challenge with enough ammo to get by but not too much to where the game gets too easy.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Right on. I gave Pro a try to compare the damage, and I was still basically taking 4 bubs of damage in a single grapple QTE, so Vet it definitely is. Not really having any ammo troubles, though after getting into 2-X of Leon's campaign, the linear nature and apparently infinitely respawning enemies in a lot of areas seem to make that point somewhat irrelevant.

Anyway, aside from some script issues of constantly having control taken away from me to be shown a bunch of simple poo poo that is either obvious, could be communicated in other ways, or frankly, doesn't even loving matter, I have to echo the earlier sentiment that mechanically, the game is pretty solid. I would like the gun play to be more reliable in staggering enemies, but the seemingly random nature of these things works well with the dodging; so for a hypothetical RE7, if the mechanics were to remain the same, but progression was more adventure oriented like RE4 I'd be a happy guy.

Now, having said that, the frustratingly 'controlled' nature of this game's design doesn't really leave much hope that even in such an event the result would be all that great, but it isn't like I'm not enjoying the playable parts of RE6 so I guess it's just a matter of deep breaths.

In all seriousness, the most disappointing loss so far is the apparent absence of tacti-cool weapon upgrading. :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait, what do you mean by dodging? Is that something only certain characters can do?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Wait, what do you mean by dodging? Is that something only certain characters can do?

Regardless of your input method, enter aiming mode, then you can either A) tap the action button, and you will perform a quick duck to avoid projectiles, or B) quickly press the action button and a direction on the movement input to perform a dive roll. If you continue to hold the aim button during the dodge you will quickly re-enter aiming while laying on your back, and you can even roll around or shuffle forward/backward. Works incredibly well when dealing with basic zombies that have a tendency to pounce. Watch out for their bowlegged sort of "I am pissed off" animation and you can dodge left/right out of the way (maybe even duck, I haven't tried), and feel like a super badass as you dive out of the way, they fall flat on their face, and then unload into their kidneys with guns akimbo.

Keyboard+Mouse even supports individual binds for every direction, if that's your thing, but I find that way too much crap to remember and just use the aim toggle.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well that sure helps. Thanks! I don't remember seeing that in the controls screen.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
What is the difference between Mercenaries, and Mercenaries No Mercy (RE6)? Just tougher enemies and higher rank requirements, basically?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Kiggles posted:

What is the difference between Mercenaries, and Mercenaries No Mercy (RE6)? Just tougher enemies and higher rank requirements, basically?

No Mercy has way more enemies. Waaaaaaaay more. The enemies are actually weaker to make up for the fact that there's like probably like 30 or more enemies out at once constantly.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Fereydun posted:

No Mercy has way more enemies. Waaaaaaaay more. The enemies are actually weaker to make up for the fact that there's like probably like 30 or more enemies out at once constantly.

Holy crap you're right. Tried the mines and the first 30 seconds was just enemies blowing themselves up one after the other. Had a 25 combo after only seeing one enemy. Of course the next 30 seconds resulted in me getting swarmed by about 20 dogs and trying to slide and dive my way out of the cluster gently caress before being swamped by the big crazy monsters.

Are there any other special qualities, like NO HOPE giving double skill points, maybe different unlockables, or is No Mercy just an optional challenge mode for crazy over the top action?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Once you get used to it, No Mercy Mercs can actually be easier than regular, as the amount of enemies often makes it easier to keep up the combo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is probably treading old ground but a bud and I just finished RE6 and I'm a bit curious to why it got such a bad reputation, from a gameplay perspective I thought it was pretty fluid, with only certain things really throwing a wrench in it (namely loving forced camera angle switches during chase segments). Of course I've heard the game was buggy on release or something so maybe that's where that comes from.

I really felt that the campaigns fell apart in the final chapter though.

I think Leon's was the biggest offender, who the gently caress thought making you chain fight the last boss was a good idea? The t-rex form was the worst since it wasn't even a threat and outstayed its welcome by a long shot.

I am surprised that they managed to make playing as Piers in the final chapter of Chris' story somehow not fun though. The gimmick "weapon" got old after using it once. And all those loving camera angle switches on the chase :argh:

Jake's campaign felt like the most all around solid though (barring the snowstorm level) and had the most non offensive last boss fight (although the level itself blew). And having cool melee skills never got old to me.

The story was absolutely a laugh riot but RE's story always has been so I couldn't in good faith count that as a negative. (I haven't kept up with this thread in ages so I don't know if we're still spoilering things from RE6 so I'll do it to be safe) Simmon's blood making the umbrella logo after he got impaled caused my friend and I to laugh so hard we could hardly breathe. As well as Jake's unironic "puts on shades and rides off into the sunset" after credits sequence.

I guess after writing that out I can see why people had issues with the game, but I still don't get why people are considering it a travesty and belonging on "worst game of all time" lists.

No silly costume for campaign mode after you beat it is lame as hell though :(.

e: Oh, and one thing that really stood out to me was the catacombs, I'll admit I know nothing about old american Architecture but it looked like something from the loving 13th century or some poo poo (complete with the metal armor wearing zombies) it felt like it was a scrapped level from RE4 or something.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is probably treading old ground but a bud and I just finished RE6 and I'm a bit curious to why it got such a bad reputation, from a gameplay perspective I thought it was pretty fluid, with only certain things really throwing a wrench in it (namely loving forced camera angle switches during chase segments). Of course I've heard the game was buggy on release or something so maybe that's where that comes from.
The biggest problem is it is now juts a straight action game. There is basically no adventure elements any more. No exploration, just follow the corridor until and kill what is along the way. The "arenas" are generally uninteresting, again, largely being on linear pathways with little to no accommodation for tactics. RE 4 and 5 frequently had lot of open maps that allowed you to retreat if overwhelmed, or lap around to gain better vantage to attack.

Finally, there seems to be very little or absolutely no consequence to just picking up everything you find (weapons), there is very little investment to any of this stuff. You just take whatever challenges are put before you as they come and don't worry about how you handed anything prior, or which will follow.

Simply put, it is "just another shooter", albeit a shooter with some really rad mechanics, but the gravitation toward action mechanics instead of the tightly involved gunplay that had you trying to shoot enemy body parts to achieve certain effects, and the apparent abandonment of player investment in differing weapon types basically robs the game of any real lasting depth.

Mercenaries fairs much much better, featuring an open map that allows for combat to at least seem reminisce of RE4/5. Counters can really mitigate that, but I can deal. The other modes seem like they can be pretty good as well, but Capcom's decision to make them paid DLC basically limits RE6's lasting power to however long anyone can stand Mercenaries, because the campaigns are utterly throw away. Without any depth to the encounters there is little incentive to retry them for the sake of trying better tactics, and to compound that, without the choice/consequence of an inventory/upgrade system there is just about no reason to replay the game but with a different "build".

Fun game, and there is plenty of depth to the mechanics, but otherwise utterly lacking in depth to the content.

EDIT: Oh, and the campaign is plagued with "Hey! Look!" moments where a pseudo cinematic is played in order to point out loving EVERYTHING. They don't just throw some dialog at you to alert you a door is open. Control is literally taken away from you, or the camera is glued to the point of interest. Worst part of this, is the game doesn't stop "playing". I'm not sure you can actually be attacked, but you sure as poo poo are not in a position to react to any attacks that are in progress when you resume control. To maybe sum everything up, the entire experience is extremely controlled, or "measured". There isn't much soul outside of the action hero mechanics. So I guess to be quantify, great optional modes, throw away or perhaps even poo poo campaign mode.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 6, 2013