Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Spuckuk posted:

Lahore Kebab house if you actually want to sit down without waiting 8 hours.
http://tayyabs.co.uk/experience.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Its my birthday soon and me and missus are taking the day off and she wants to take me out to eat somewhere nice but i'm a bit out of ideas.

Duck and Waffle is tempting cos i'd like to try the duck and waffle and pig ears but i fear price of drinks/etc anyone been?

I LOVE Bodeans but i've been there a bit too much, is there something smokehousey in london i've missed?

We might just go to the fallback of Hawksmoor but im worried we're not trying new places enough

TL:DR - where to eat with good meat thats a little bit special

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pitt Cue Co is incredible for BBQ type stuff. It is also tiny and you can't book though, so might not be suited for the occasion.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

peanut- posted:

Pitt Cue Co is incredible for BBQ type stuff. It is also tiny and you can't book though, so might not be suited for the occasion.

I do want to try that place but yeah the queues i see on the way home every evening have really put me off that, i have the worst luck with queues. I've just accepted i'll never get to try Franco Mancas cos there is always such a huge queue whenever i'm there

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seconding the Pitt Cue recommendation. But at only 18 seats for the whole place, it feels like they shot themselves in the foot with that one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

St. John's? Truly excellent meat, very special

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

When you arrive for your booked table, you will still wait an a hour or more. Found this one out the hard way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spuckuk posted:

When you arrive for your booked table, you will still wait an a hour or more. Found this one out the hard way.

Really? drat :( What's the whole "unique dining experience" stuff they're going on about, anyway? That always seemed to be a bit of a red flag to me.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I've eaten there three times and never had that problem?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Literally never had to stand in Tayyabs queue for more than half an hour. And booked seatings were always instant.

I've eaten there at least ten times.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Also re smokehouses other than Bodean's: Red Dog Saloon at Hoxton Sq is great.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Needoo is just around the corner from Tayyab's and is run by a former Tayyab's cook. Same menu, cheaper, shorter waits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Really? drat :( What's the whole "unique dining experience" stuff they're going on about, anyway? That always seemed to be a bit of a red flag to me.
It's just that it's freakin' huge and busy and tasty (but it's not cramped so it doesn't suck)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

kim jong-illin posted:

Needoo is just around the corner from Tayyab's and is run by a former Tayyab's cook. Same menu, cheaper, shorter waits.

I'd reccomend this, the food is identical.

Maybe I was particularly unlucky with Tayyabs, the food was excellent in the end.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Tayyab's has amazing Punjabi food, it's just super popular so you will be waiting for ages if you go at peak times. Friday and Saturday nights are the worst. If you go during the day, you'll get seated instantly - I went to uni just round the corner from Tayyab's and we'd often just walk in at lunchtime and get a table straight away.

If you can go at a non-popular time, I'd really recommend it. If you can't then go to Needoo instead. Regardless of which one you go to, get all the lamb dishes - they do amazing things with it.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Any Canadian goons want to celebrate our nation's birthday in true Canuck style by drinking a pint of British beer after this free concert at Trafalgar square?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

TL:DR - where to eat with good meat thats a little bit special

Have you not been to Duke's yet?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Burger top trumps.

http://melissafoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/burger-top-trumps.html

edit: Honest Burger is opening a branch in Camden today, it's a goddamn burger jamboree in this city right now. I'm going to follow their twitter and see if they do any soft opening deals :ohdear:

Neris fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 2, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Five Guys opens its doors at Longacre on Thursday!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think Honest Burger was the most disappointing of all the trendy burgers places I've tried.

Shake Shack is the most exciting opening of the week!

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
I won't hear a bad word said against Honest Burger, it's my happy place. Will be interesting to see how their live queue app works later this year. Also, milkshakes and more sides? Can't wait.

I live a few doors down from Franco Manca in Chiswick, will have to check it out soon. They do reservations so not sure why you'd have to wait.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

People should go and try Bodean's new tri-tip sandwich. It's surprisingly good.

Last time I was in, I was chatting to one of the servers, and asking why the barbecue (especially the pulled pork and brisket) often came up cold. He apologised and said it sat in the trays too long, rather than staying heated. He acknowledged that it was a problem, and didn't like it himself.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm planning on visiting Shake Shack and Five Guys on Friday, but I'm also looking to try the short-rib French dip at Hawksmoor as well. The Seven Dials location seems to still have the short-rib French dip, according to the menu on the website. Of course, I have no idea if this is true until I actually arrive in London...

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Five Guys opening on Thursday, Shake Shack opening on Friday, its a good week to be a burger loving Londoner. Will be good to see what all the fuss is about.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm planning on visiting Shake Shack and Five Guys on Friday, but I'm also looking to try the short-rib French dip at Hawksmoor as well. The Seven Dials location seems to still have the short-rib French dip, according to the menu on the website. Of course, I have no idea if this is true until I actually arrive in London...

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting to Shack Shack at, like, 7 or 8am on Friday to grab a burger before I head into work. Anyone have even remote insight as to whether there will be a line up, and how bad? Maybe I'm the only one jumping the gun?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snipeo posted:

Five Guys opening on Thursday, Shake Shack opening on Friday, its a good week to be a burger loving Londoner. Will be good to see what all the fuss is about.

When I lived in the US, there was a real hoo-ha about Five Guys opening in my town. So my friends and I went down there one evening just after it had opened, waited in line, full of antici... pation, and finally sat down with our food expecting angels to descend and jizz on our tongues. Sadly, it's just a burger. It's a lot better fast food burger than your McDonalds patty, but it really ain't all that.

I'll still go, and I'll check out Shake Shack too. :P

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I am officially declaring it :siren: Burger Frenzy Week :siren:

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

angelicism posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting to Shack Shack at, like, 7 or 8am on Friday to grab a burger before I head into work. Anyone have even remote insight as to whether there will be a line up, and how bad? Maybe I'm the only one jumping the gun?

Shake Shack opens at 10am on Friday.
I'm a bit concerned about the queue in the evening, it's had a lot of press coverage recently. Still intend to pop down though.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Muga posted:

Shake Shack opens at 10am on Friday.
I'm a bit concerned about the queue in the evening, it's had a lot of press coverage recently. Still intend to pop down though.

You don't think there will be any morning lineup at all?

\o/

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

If you go take pictures of the queue and the burger and stuff!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Neris posted:

If you go take pictures of the queue and the burger and stuff!

Also, get us some concretes, ta :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So Picante Mexican Grill is right behind my office and has been closed for ages due to renovation. I think I got the recommendation from the map in OP.

Anyhow, it's open again and I think it's the best Mexican takeaway I've had in London. I took some guys from the office on Monday and we all thought it was pretty top notch.

This doesn't bode well for my wallet or waistline!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ineptmule posted:

So Picante Mexican Grill is right behind my office and has been closed for ages due to renovation. I think I got the recommendation from the map in OP.

Anyhow, it's open again and I think it's the best Mexican takeaway I've had in London. I took some guys from the office on Monday and we all thought it was pretty top notch.

This doesn't bode well for my wallet or waistline!

I work near victoria as well, and went there for lunch today. Great to see it back open, people were literally high fiving the staff on monday when it reopened :3

I still cant decide if its better than Benitos hat, but they both beat the hell out of Chipotle or Tortilla.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'd say there's no contest vs Benito's Hat - Picante's fillings are better, more varied, and a lot more generous serving-wise.

I went to Lupita in Charing Cross last week and thought they were very good. Also I love Wahaca because of their pickled onions and pork dish. Both do that awesome light toasting thing on their burritos, but are more sit downish* so I don't include them in my 'best Mexican takeout' award!

* Although Wahaca's takeaway stall on southbank is great.

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons

angelicism posted:

You don't think there will be any morning lineup at all?

\o/

There may be, but I was more pointing out the fact that it doesn't open until 10am so you can't go there at 7 or 8am :)
Having said that, my girlfriend works in Covent Garden and saw people with Shake Shack food today, they gave out vouchers to local companies, so anyone working in that area might want to try their luck tomorrow, you never know they might let you in!

Regarding Picante, I'm also a Victoria goon, seems there's a few of us! Was there today for the first time since it reopened - if you don't know, the flat above them let their bath overflow and ruined the whole restaurant, particularly the basement kitchen :( I was chatting to the owner a couple of weeks back. They run on a small margin and obviously rely on the lunch time trade, so make sure you go regularly and support them!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Muga posted:

There may be, but I was more pointing out the fact that it doesn't open until 10am so you can't go there at 7 or 8am :)
Having said that, my girlfriend works in Covent Garden and saw people with Shake Shack food today, they gave out vouchers to local companies, so anyone working in that area might want to try their luck tomorrow, you never know they might let you in!

Ah, yeah, I thought there might be a crazy line that I'd have to get there early for. I think I'm going to plan to get there around 9 and take my chances. I've missed this burger so much. :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picante: I'll be going again next week (I've already made tomorrow and Friday's packed lunches :(). Want to try out their online ordering!

Might be fun to get a goon crew together one lunchtime? Or indeed after work drinks one day if there are so many Victoria folks.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Now I cant decide if its Burger Frenzy week, or Burrito Madness.

One thing holding back a meetup around Victoria is there doesn't seem to be a single good pub :(

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I'm a Victoria goon as well. Haven't managed to get to Picante since it reopened but VERY excited about it. I hope they still sell the mexican food supplies, I could do with some chipotles.

Yeah, Victoria is pretty thin on the ground for pubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
There is only one pub in Victoria as far as I'm concerned. Cask. Monthly guest breweries plus a decent burger.
OK it's kind of in Pimlico but well worth the walk.

Actually there's two pubs I frequent since we have a subsidised bar in the office. £1.50 a beer, yes please :)

I might as well add a recent review since I'm posting.
Bonnie Gull just north of Oxford Street is recommended if you want some seafood. Several oysters plus lovely fresh razor clams then we shared four starters, salmon tartare, blowtorched mackarel and some other bits, all nicely cooked and flavoured.
They also did a surprisingly fantastic chocolate brownie.
And it's just round the corner from The Green Man, a decent ale/cider pub.