Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
It's the kind of stuff that shouldn't bother you, but it does. The little things that get under your skin like nothing else. Things that set you right off.

Since screaming at people in public isn't how you vent in a healthy way, post your personal Pet Peeves here!

This thread is made with mod blessing, provided it doesn't become a general mock thread:

Dr Snofeld posted:

We've had variations on this thread before without major mishap. I'm going to say go ahead and make it, on the condition that people note that "bronies" for instance is not a pet peeve and it doesn't go all mock thread on us.

Please keep this in mind, and also steer away from one-upmanship, meta arguments and other thread killing bullshit.

I'll open the floor:

-People stopping in front of me when walking, blocking stairways/escalators/doorways, or walking so wide and slow that they take up the entire path, so nobody can get around. Doubly so if it makes me miss my train/bus/light/whatever.

-You get to an intersection. The other guy has the right of way, and just sits there. You play "you go, no, you go!". Figuring you'll be there all day if you don't go first, you start, and that very same millisecond, the other guy does. Commit to it if you start! Just loving go!

-Waiting forever for a bus, 3 come at once, and you happen to get on the one which is ahead of schedule, so the driver drives way below the limit and deliberately hits every red, as the others breeze past you

-When you say something, and the person you're talking to interrupts you to ask what you were just answering:

:geno:"So I paid fif-"
:byodood: "HOW much?"
:geno: "Fifty bucks."

-People who can't answer yes or no questions, including answering obviously yes or no questions with some rambling non-answer.

-Being asked the same question in a slightly different way, in the hopes that I'll give the answer the asker wants if they ask enough and arrange it a certain way. Kind of like alchemy with words.

-When you're obviously busy, and another person tries to interrupt with something unimportant, and just won't take the hint, and there's no way you can get it across without being rude.

-Multiple people talking to me at the same time, in person, and all parties expecting immediate and full attention/ adults not understand the concept of waiting your turn.

-This is going to sound really goony, but parents who let their kids scream in public transit, restaurants and stores without doing anything about it/encouraging it. Whatever happened to inside voice/outside voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Drinking fountains that have low water pressure.

People that get onto the train before everyone has got off. This is not so much a pet peeve but an extremely loving rude thing to do.

When people make bad chips, like they are soggy or not cooked. Just cook them right you fucks!

Birds.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
If I stop to let you get into traffic, the least you could do is wave, you jerk! :argh:

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Holy poo poo if I had the time I'm sure I could write a novel about this stuff. Let me share a few on no particular order.

1. When someone changes the trash and doesn't replace the bag and other people continue to throw trash into the trash can without a bag in it. Also applies to when people allow ill-fitting trash bags to slip into the trash can without fixing them.

2. Being stopped by booth vendors at the mall.

3. People who slow down to a near complete stop when they're turning right off the road.

4. Any use of the word "sorry" when not 100% sincere. This really boils my blood more than anything else I can think of and I have no idea why. Examples are people saying sorry for things they very clearly did intentionally just to try and shut you up. Even worse examples are lines like the famous "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you're upset (about this thing that I did)".

5. White knighting on the Internet.

6. When you're playing an online game and some idiot starts playing their music of the microphone. Bonus hatred if they start singing it. Extra bonus hatred if they sing it all the way through. That last one was mainly a problem in CoD back when I played bad games.

7. This one is ridiculous. My bed set has has a specific pattern of lines, so it can only be orientated in one way. Is a pet peeve when my fiancé makes the bed and doesn't bother to turn the comforter in the right direction.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I loving hate when I get one letter texts. I'd prefer they send me "OK" rather than just "K."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
- Loud eaters. I will rudely clamp my hands over my ears because I absolutely cannot loving stand it. YOU DROVE ME TO THIS, rear end in a top hat! :argh:

- The phrase, "We're the same, you and I." in any media. It's like you can't have the former without the latter. Is it really that necessary? Were you worried I might think you were talking about you and Larry?

- Speaking of media, obligatory tit shots. Not nudity in film, mind you, but "We know you're the lowest common denominator, so here's your jugs."

- People who can't joke. I would marry a poor man. I would marry an ugly man. I would not marry a humorless man.

Gosh, I sound angry. :(

Never Odd or Even
Jan 21, 2009

This jerk again.
Fun Shoe
People who chew with their mouth open, smack their lips, slurp, or other unnecessary eating sounds. It's too small to ever bring up to people, but impossible to ignore if there's nothing else to hear.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have to agree on several of these:

People who stop in the middle of a public walkway, aisle, or doorway without realizing they've just created a big roadblock--go brainstorm whether or not you're going to go to Brookstone somewhere else. Similarly, groups of people who walk abreast of each other, especially when they do this at a leisurely pace--the path is 10 feet wide, we don't need you and your idiot family taking up 8 feet of it while you fart yourselves along at a mile and a half pace.

Also, people who let the door slam shut behind them without ever looking over their shoulder (in public)--you're in a crowded public place. There's a good chance somebody is behind you, so at least look back to make sure you're not doing this. It costs no extra time and hardly any more effort, for Christ's sake. Worse, I've had people right in front of me unexpectedly slink through closing doors like they're Indiana loving Jones escaping from the temple of doom, leaving me to catch a door right as it closes on my face.

Stop walking while you're absorbed in your phone, too. I shouldn't have to hop out of the way or get run off into the bushes because you're so lost in your Facebook app that you've walked 1/4 mile without looking up once. On occasion, I find it cathartic to shoulder-check people who do this, and then pretend to be as surprised as them when they finally come back to reality. gently caress these people.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Oh god I thought of another one that I really really hate. I have problems :(

When people write bad product reviews because of the vendor and not the product.

quote:

1 out of 5 stars

This is actually the best can opener I have ever used. It's sharp, safe, easy to operate and I literally ran it over my truck and it didn't break at all. I will never use a different can opener again for the rest of my life. But only gave it 1 star because I paid for expedited shipping and it arrived late and amazon wouldn't refund my shipping charge.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
You have "fewer" things (discrete items) and "less" stuff (non-discrete things like water). You don't have "less" things, that's just wrong.

A picture is pronounced "picture", not pitcher for god's sake, you sound like an illiterate rube.

OK, if I'm the elevator and we hit the ground floor and the doors open and you want to get on, I can't get off until you move aside, not just stand there staring at me blankly and blocking the exit. And it's stupid to try to squeeze on while I'm still in the elevator.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I loving hate when I get one letter texts. I'd prefer they send me "OK" rather than just "K."

I would rather get K than 'kk'. That poo poo drives me nuts

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

I would rather get K than 'kk'. That poo poo drives me nuts

My mom sends me K all the time, so one time I sarcastically said "K is the symbol on the periodic table for Potassium, not a good response to a text message."

Now she sends me "Potassium" texts a lot as a response. Its both annoying and :3: at the same time.

mrParkbench
Sep 20, 2008
Sitting and reading this thread is making me empathically full of rage

e: People who speak loudly on late night flights/trains. Like seriously wtf, do you have no idea of common courtesy to the other passengers, who probably chose a late night flight because they expect to get some rest?

mrParkbench has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Jul 4, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Old people outdoors using services before 9am, there you are on a public bus or nipping quickly to the shop en route to work, you're cutting it close when suddenly some rocker jockey appears to hold everything up. Wait until 9.30 and then drag your carcass to dump that collection of 1 & 2 pences you have :mad:

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My friend always sends "Kk" to me and I find that infinitely more annoying.

Handiwipe
Jun 9, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Stop walking while you're absorbed in your phone, too. I shouldn't have to hop out of the way or get run off into the bushes because you're so lost in your Facebook app that you've walked 1/4 mile without looking up once. On occasion, I find it cathartic to shoulder-check people who do this, and then pretend to be as surprised as them when they finally come back to reality. gently caress these people.

Oh loving hell yes to this. People obsessed with their phones in general is my biggest pet peeve these days.

- Holding your phone up the whole loving time at a concert.
- Playing your lovely music through your lovely phone speakers in public like we all want to hear that loving noise.
- Sitting on your phone when you are out WITH YOUR ACTUAL FRIENDS at a restaurant. They made the effort to see you, loving interact with them!
- TEXTING WHILE DRIVING! Seriously, gently caress you.
- Staring into your phone instead of taking in everything around you, whether it be interaction, location, an event, or just a beautiful day in general.

Don't live your life through a 4 inch screen.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

pageerror404 posted:

3. People who slow down to a near complete stop when they're turning right off the road.

I want to yell at people so badly for this, it's like they forgot all manner of driving etiquette and just completely go loving oblivious to everybody behind them.

pageerror404 posted:

4. Any use of the word "sorry" when not 100% sincere. This really boils my blood more than anything else I can think of and I have no idea why. Examples are people saying sorry for things they very clearly did intentionally just to try and shut you up. Even worse examples are lines like the famous "I'm sorry you feel that way" or "I'm sorry you're upset (about this thing that I did)".

Agreed.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I just don't understand how or why people do this. drat near every phone can autofill whatever you want to type out so this seriously should not happen. I especially hate when people do entire sentences with as few letters as possible, as if consonants and vowels are precious resources.

Never Odd or Even posted:

People who chew with their mouth open, smack their lips, slurp, or other unnecessary eating sounds. It's too small to ever bring up to people, but impossible to ignore if there's nothing else to hear.
This.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Abbreviating "chicken" as "chix."

Putting dirty dishes into the sink rather than the counter. I CAN'T WASH THE DISHES IF THE SINK IS FULL OF DIRTY poo poo.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

Abbreviating "chicken" as "chix."

Ha this is a good one.

The grill at my alma mater's student cafe used to have a weekly special "Buff Chix sub" and it just made me rage out

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I hate it when someone posts a notice on a door that's more than a single sentence long. If you're trying to convey an entire paragraph's worth of information (or if you print with tiny font that you can't just glance at and immediately understand), don't put it on a door, because it encourages people to stop and block the door while they read it!

Also, people who don't hold the door open for people directly behind them. I don't appreciate having doors slammed in my face.

And when someone walks directly next to a wall and then turns a corner without stepping away from the wall first. There's a narrow staircase I have to walk up a lot, and people bump into me at the top constantly because they're rounding the corner without stepping back and looking where they're going.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Things strangers do that drive me nuts:
- Use public trashcans for household trash. It got to be such a problem in my neighborhood that the community association sprang for special trashcans with small openings. Now people just pile trashbags around them.
- Sit on the outer seat on the bus or train, then act put out when you ask them to move so you can sit down.
- Not say "thank you" when you hold a door open for them.
- Have extremely loud and personal cell phone conversations in public.

Things my partner does that drive me nuts:
- Turns on every single light in every room in the apartment the minute the sun goes down. I turn 'em off, he turns 'em back on. It's a nightly battle.
- Doesn't scrape or rinse his cereal bowls. Nothing like coming home to a slurry of congealed raisin bran and milk on a ninety degree day.
- Constantly plays devil's advocate.

I'm sure I do a lot of annoying things too, though.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Parents of kids who don't watch out for them at public parks with bike paths. I will have to run off the path into the grass and roll out the speed when I'm longboarding every drat time because little Jimmy piss pants is wandering around blindly. It takes less work for me to square up a punt at Jimmy's soft spot than it does for me to run into the grass and work back up to speed.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
Sucking air in through the teeth or sucking on teeth. This just grates on me like nails on a loving chalkboard.

People who play their music through speakers instead of using earbuds. For that matter, people who have poo poo earbuds or have their music on so loud that I can hear it anyway.

People on public transit who have their bags in the seat next to them, and don't remove them / move over when all the seats are filling up.

People who type as if they were texting on the internet or just generally don't give a single poo poo about grammar or spelling. I can pick out people who aren't native English speakers just fine, and it's not those folks I'm talking about. It's really just about the people who don't give a poo poo. I judge people hard on this one.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
People who don't make a shopping list and instead get on the phone to call someone back home over every item they need, blocking the shelves while they debate exactly how much sour cream the recipe calls for and what flavor of yogurt they should buy. You're an adult! Make a decision about lemon or raspberry on your own!

When other drivers try to be "nice" but instead are setting you up to do something dangerous. If I'm trying to pull out of a parking lot to go left, and I need to cross multiple lanes of traffic, then having one car stop to let me go only blocks my view on oncoming traffic in other lanes and stresses me out since now cars are building up behind the person who stopped. Just go about your business. I can wait until the lanes are clear.

Adults who ride their bikes on the sidewalk and act put out by pedestrians. Especially when there's a nice wide bike lane with no street parking.

Pallas_Cat
May 2, 2009

Absolute Unit
My major pet peeve is the whole chewing loudly / eating with your mouth open thing. I absolutely cannot be around someone who's doing this unless there's background noise and I don't have to look at them. There was a thread in GBS a while back about "whisper eating" and those videos pretty much sounded like torture to me (I couldn't bring myself to actually watch one).

The other thing I hate is people getting all up in my personal space. I know the train or bus can be crowded, but I still get the creeps from strangers rubbing up against me. The worst thing is when a guy sits with his legs as far apart as possible and his hand right on his crotch. So he's not only rubbing his knee on me, he also looks like he's touching himself. I just really hope it's unintentional.

Also, fidgeting. I posted this one in the last pet peeve thread, but it's still in my top three annoyances. My boyfriend cannot sit still ever, and it can be majorly distracting when I'm trying to talk to him, and he's playing with his hair and bouncing up and down in his seat. I think he may have restless leg syndrome though. Sorry honey for getting mad. :sigh:

My other pet peeves mostly have to do with work, so they're kind of specific to a retail setting. It's just a hassle dealing with rude customers and remaining calm and polite all day. Girls will get their makeup smeared all over the clothes when trying them on, try on clothes just to take pictures of themselves in it, do duck lips and pose in front of the mirror for twenty minutes, and a lot of other crap like that. Putting up with it is my only option though, so I just try to laugh it off later.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010
Dudes who walk the full length of a near empty men's bathroom only to rock up at the urinal next to you. What the hell, buddy? Also, anyone who pulls a similar move on a empty car park - a dozen empty spaces and you had to pull up less than a foot off my driver's door...:argh:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Eating is literally the closest a person can come to a sexual experience sans sexuality, and the world makes like the appropriate response to loving your face with food, making orgasm faces as you audibly suck and swallow, gushing aloud, "Oh my god, this is sooooo good! Mmmmmm!" is to do it in a circle as you stare in the faces of your closest friends and family.

It's grossly obscene, and no one realizes this for being the ever thoughtless and dignity deprived hoi polloi.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

People who cannot shut the gently caress up in the library. We have designated floors that have big red doors labled 'silent study area' and these dumb gently caress kids still manage to have loud gossipy conversations, listen to music, watch youtube videos and have their text alerts on loud. They also eat despite the strict ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD posters on every wall. I saw one guy get out a container of spaghetti and a plate once, I mean gently caress, I seriously want to punch them for giving not a single poo poo about anybody except themselves. Selfish brats!

At home, my husband bites his nails and no matter he many times I beg him not to he just won't stop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Excessively negative people.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Aaron A Aardvark posted:

Dudes who walk the full length of a near empty men's bathroom only to rock up at the urinal next to you.
Even worse than that is people who feel the need to strike up a conversation while you're at the urinal. I'm trying to focus on the task at hand right now, thanks.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Sunshine89 posted:

-Being asked the same question in a slightly different way, in the hopes that I'll give the answer the asker wants if they ask enough and arrange it a certain way. Kind of like alchemy with words.

This is the one. This drives me pants-shittingly insane.

That and people who leave empty containers in the fridge.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
My favorite pet peeve is actually someone else's. A friend of mine once expressed her rage at the phrase "a watched pot never boils." Way later on I happened to remember this and casually said it just to get a reaction. I wasn't disappointed.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Idiot Kicker posted:

My favorite pet peeve is actually someone else's. A friend of mine once expressed her rage at the phrase "a watched pot never boils." Way later on I happened to remember this and casually said it just to get a reaction. I wasn't disappointed.

"Great minds think alike."

Except they don't, which is what makes them great.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Excessively negative people.

This, also people who go out of their way to be contrary, especially if the subject is something that's popular. It's okay to like things, you know. Honest.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If you say "crick" instead of "creek," you are a butt.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Radio stations that advertise one or two hours of commercial-free music, and play their own commercials reminding you of that, between every. loving. song.

Radio personalities who don't segue into commercials, but keep talking, and suddenly they're talking about some new mattress or car sale, and it takes you a minute to realize they're not joking.

People who don't let matters drop. There's a guy I know who reaaaaaaaally wants some fish, but he won't pay the price for the fish, and keeps bothering me with selling mine. Any time I open a thread on this fish messageboard, he always replies with "when will you be selling your zebra plecos" regardless of what the topic is. I made the mistake of telling him ONCE that when they did breed, I would let him know, so he constantly asks about it, like I'm holding out on him.

Assholes who are above saying 'thank you' for anything.

Cat litter that covers up the cat poo poo smell perfectly, and isn't that expensive, but the ash content is so loving high that everything around the box smells of litter.

People who call anyone with more than 1 cat a 'crazy cat person.' Bonus points if the person has 6-7 kids.

People on bikes, riding in the bike lane, who don't obey traffic laws. No, it is NOT okay if you cruise through the intersection when our light is red.

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005
I normally don't give a poo poo about terrible grammar, if I understand what you meant it's usually ok and this does not apply to people who speak English as a second language. That being said, when someone says someone like "He's older than me" it drives me loving insane. The full sentence is "he's older than I am" not "he's older than me am" you illiterate troglodyte. I'm not going to correct your 5 year old grammar but just know I noticed.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The one that's been on my mind lately is people who say "How you doing" instead of hello, and don't give any time to reply before they start talking. If you're not asking me how I'm doing, then just loving say hello so we aren't interrupting each other when I start telling you. It's just a small thing but it happens so frequently that it piles up and goes from mild annoyance to aggravation.

Another pet peeve of mine is technophobes. I live in a town with a lot of old people, and the majority of them fear change of any sort as if it was the devil come from hell to get them, including technology more advanced than rotary phones. They don't know how to use their own debit and credit cards and can't keep track of their passwords, and they think computers run on magic.

I just hope I don't become like them when I'm old. :smith: I want to be the cool old guy who embraced progress and got the head computer and cybernetic eyes, not the one ranting about how cyborgs don't have souls.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
Men who sit on public transport with their legs three feet apart, as if their testicles are so massive they practically need a seat of their own.

People who take up a seat on the bus for their bag and then cluck and tut when you politely ask them to move it so you can sit down.

This one's probably righteous anger but, I have an invisible disability and need to sit on the tube, etc. The amount of people who pretend they didn't hear me ask or outright stare me down, man. gently caress 'em all.

Why, yes, public transport does make me irrationally angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
People who cut through parking lots. People who leave diapers and tampons on the ground in public bathrooms when there is a garbage can close by.

• Locked thread