Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Well, I can go through the Darril Gibson N+ practice test and get almost everything right (still weak on cable speeds/distances and what base standard does what), ditto CompTIA website practice test, have watched all 186 N+ videos on Professor Messer at least once, have skimmed most of the Lammle book, and read 2 books on information security practices.

With no networking experience other than being what the average computer literate person knows, am I somewhat prepared? Im not under any huge time crunch since I'm a fulltime student and won't start looking for a job for at least another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patterson
Apr 9, 2011
Has anyone taken EC-Council's CEH exam yet? I signed up for a 5 day course starting next week and I have no idea how prepared I should be for taking the exam.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Woo. 642-618 FIREWALL is down. Studied for two weeks -- at least 5 hours a day. I work with ASAs but still thought I would barely pass but I almost got a perfect score.

I know people recommend to do VPN after Firewall, I'm going to do the IPS exam next before I leave for the paid family leave stuff at work when my son is born. This way I'll get some solid time in front of real sensors and not have to rent a rack or anything just to do some labs for it.

only IPS and VPN left. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Fortunately there's ridiculous amounts of downtime at work where I put in most of my studying.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Patterson posted:

Has anyone taken EC-Council's CEH exam yet? I signed up for a 5 day course starting next week and I have no idea how prepared I should be for taking the exam.

Do you have any actual experience with pen testing or vulnerability assessment? From what I've understood from those who have taken it with real world knowledge it wasn't all that difficult.

Patterson
Apr 9, 2011

workape posted:

Do you have any actual experience with pen testing or vulnerability assessment? From what I've understood from those who have taken it with real world knowledge it wasn't all that difficult.

I've done mostly web app vulnerability assessments so far. I've only been doing it for a few years, but I've been doing stuff by hand and not letting a tool work for me. I'm really hoping this class is more about teaching actual techniques and not "just click this button on this toolkit and it does it for you!"

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Patterson posted:

I've done mostly web app vulnerability assessments so far. I've only been doing it for a few years, but I've been doing stuff by hand and not letting a tool work for me. I'm really hoping this class is more about teaching actual techniques and not "just click this button on this toolkit and it does it for you!"

It looks like it is a pretty wide scope of data contained therein. Wired, Wireless, etc. That's a lot of information for 5 days. As with everything, setting up your own lab, getting home feeds for Nessus and getting the Metasploit framework and hammering your own boxes for fun will be a lot more educational than a class. I've asked an old coworker who got his when work demanded it about it and am waiting on a response.

Patterson
Apr 9, 2011

workape posted:

It looks like it is a pretty wide scope of data contained therein. Wired, Wireless, etc. That's a lot of information for 5 days. As with everything, setting up your own lab, getting home feeds for Nessus and getting the Metasploit framework and hammering your own boxes for fun will be a lot more educational than a class. I've asked an old coworker who got his when work demanded it about it and am waiting on a response.

Ok. Thank you for the help! I'm lucky enough to have an image of a production server and backtrack both sitting on VMs for me to play around with right now. I'll have to try setting up an actual physical machine at home though, since that'll introduce some more "real world" examples for me to have to get through.

Edit: They also have a pretty cool Lab setup that I have access to for 6 months and an "Open Hacking" feature that lets me just hammer away at their servers however and whenever I want.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Moey posted:

21. Using six subnet bits, how many usable subnets are created?

This is a really obtusely written question.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
So after my Network+ cert my boss says, "Good job, you are now going to be our Sharepoint SME".

Any good books for studying?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Patterson posted:

You need to understand how networks function, nmap usage and a bunch of other stuff along those lines. I really dont recall anything about Nessus or other automated tools, but lots of XSS and sqli, as well as other stuff. It's a cakewalk compared to the OSCP.

Patterson
Apr 9, 2011

XakEp posted:

You need to understand how networks function, nmap usage and a bunch of other stuff along those lines. I really dont recall anything about Nessus or other automated tools, but lots of XSS and sqli, as well as other stuff. It's a cakewalk compared to the OSCP.

I was looking at taking the OSCP after I finished up this cert. The exam looked pretty fun, but I think I'll wait till I have a really good understanding about pentesting before I attempt it. It's looking like my idea of just taking the 5 day class and just do the exam right after might not be the best one and that I probably should mess around for a month or two before I attempt it.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Haydez posted:

Woo. 642-618 FIREWALL is down. Studied for two weeks -- at least 5 hours a day. I work with ASAs but still thought I would barely pass but I almost got a perfect score.

I know people recommend to do VPN after Firewall, I'm going to do the IPS exam next before I leave for the paid family leave stuff at work when my son is born. This way I'll get some solid time in front of real sensors and not have to rent a rack or anything just to do some labs for it.

only IPS and VPN left. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Fortunately there's ridiculous amounts of downtime at work where I put in most of my studying.

Let us know how IPS looks; I have to choose between that and VPN next, and we don't use IPS modules on ASAs at all where I work, so it's going to be a bear to study for.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

KetTarma posted:

Well, I can go through the Darril Gibson N+ practice test and get almost everything right (still weak on cable speeds/distances and what base standard does what), ditto CompTIA website practice test, have watched all 186 N+ videos on Professor Messer at least once, have skimmed most of the Lammle book, and read 2 books on information security practices.

With no networking experience other than being what the average computer literate person knows, am I somewhat prepared? Im not under any huge time crunch since I'm a fulltime student and won't start looking for a job for at least another year.

The general rule with these things is that the videos give you the understanding but you really need to have read the book to get the full breadth of knowledge. Try doing the questions at the end if each chapter in the lammle book after reading the chapter. If you can't get all the questions right then you aren't ready

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Patterson posted:

I was looking at taking the OSCP after I finished up this cert. The exam looked pretty fun, but I think I'll wait till I have a really good understanding about pentesting before I attempt it. It's looking like my idea of just taking the 5 day class and just do the exam right after might not be the best one and that I probably should mess around for a month or two before I attempt it.

Unless you have experience, 2 months is the minimum. Your first month will mostly doing the stuff from the book.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

reading up on stateless DHCPv6 at the end of the CCENT book and can anyone think of a reason why you'd use it? You still need a DHCP server after all. The explanations the book give aren't very convincing

mim
Apr 25, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

So after my Network+ cert my boss says, "Good job, you are now going to be our Sharepoint SME".

Any good books for studying?

This or the 2010 version. I used the 2010 version for my MCTS SharePoint 2010.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I've got some time to kill before my job starts and I want to do a little light reading to expand my skills before then. Which book is less bad, Lammle's CCNA Wireless, Brandon Carroll's CCNA Wireless, or Cioara's CCNA Voice? None of these will be immediately applicable to my job, and I'm not planning on taking either of those certs anytime soon.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

reading up on stateless DHCPv6 at the end of the CCENT book and can anyone think of a reason why you'd use it? You still need a DHCP server after all. The explanations the book give aren't very convincing

As far as I know, Stateless DHCPv6 doesn't configure addresses or keep track of leases, it just configures options like which DNS servers the clients should use, while addressing is handled by IPv6 Autonegotiation rather than the DHCP server.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I swear, Prometric is the worst test scheduling site. I've been trying for 3 drat days to schedule an exam, and it always errors out at a different part of the registration process.

edit-- I'll be damned, as soon as I bitch about it on the internet it finally works.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 5, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ready to take my CCENT, went to book it for next week and the only test center that is on vancouver island is booked up until 5 weeks time

;_;

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

5 weeks is ridiculous, I guess I should start on INCD2 and hope that the INCD1 stuff doesn't fall out my head

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 5, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Alctel posted:

Ready to take my CCENT, went to book it for next week and the only test center that is on vancouver island is booked up until 5 weeks time

;_;

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

5 weeks is ridiculous, I guess I should start on INCD2 and hope that the INCD1 stuff doesn't fall out my head

That's a bummer.

I'd say sure, start ICND2 stuff for 4 weeks, but then during that last week, cram all the ICND1 stuff back in your head so it's still somewhat fresh.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
What's the content of icnd2 like as regards ipv6? Is it a topic or is it involved with other topic questions like ipv4 is?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I didn't see anything in the OP (or I missed it), but does anyone have any recommended reading for MCSA: Windows Server 2012?

I'm concerned that if I buy a book now that I will be screwed by the R2 update that is pushing out soon.

e: holy poo poo this is almost a thousand pages... is that regular? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/11...s2&tag=y07d1-20

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 5, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
For 3 exams and an upgrade? Probably a little skimpy, to be honest - but then those books are geared toward passing and not learning the material.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I didn't see anything in the OP (or I missed it), but does anyone have any recommended reading for MCSA: Windows Server 2012?

I'm concerned that if I buy a book now that I will be screwed by the R2 update that is pushing out soon.

e: holy poo poo this is almost a thousand pages... is that regular? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/11...s2&tag=y07d1-20

There are lists of Technet articles on Microsoft's learning website. I took and passed the 410 with that. I have been really struggling with the 411.

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/491.410-installing-and-configuring-windows-server-2012.aspx#fbid=rxtBDk4gCij
http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/492.411-administering-windows-server-2012.aspx#fbid=rxtBDk4gCij

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/certification/server/w/wiki/493.412-configuring-advanced-windows-server-2012-services.aspx#fbid=rxtBDk4gCij

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

What kind of experience do you have? I'm a junior engineer with little server building experience.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
I am a senior systems guy with a lot of Windows experience. In fairness I have a six month old daughter who eats a lot of study time.

The 411 is very difficult to me because I don't have much experience with RADIUS or NPS for remote access. The places I have worked don't have many road warriors so remote access is always handled by a VPN appliance and not the Microsoft solution. They also pound a lot on service accounts, delegations, and group policy through Powershell. I've always used gpedit.msc but they really want you to know your Powershell.

What I would honestly suggest is lab lab lab. Read each section and then do it in your own environment.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Took the BCNE for free today. I studied like 20-30 hours total. I read the BCNE in a nutshell and took notes even though most was review. Watch the Cisco to Brocade web based training they had, as well as their lab demos and practice test. Reviewed my notes from CCNP.

Complete loving overkill. This test was INSANELY easy. Not only that, you only need a 58% to pass. If other Cisco people are looking to take this while its free here is what I recommend to take it fast as possible.

In the BCNE nutshell
Study VRRP-E section
Study MCT section
Study Brocade product line (Yes you really need to do this)
Refresh your understanding of STP/OSPF (FYI Brocade interface IP selection for router ID is different than CIsco)
Study PoE/PoE+ and QoS if you have never done it before

Go take the test. Less than 5 hours of study I would say.

I'm considering taking the BCNP since this was so easy. Anyone here taken that? How much more challenging is it?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Studying towards my CCNP, my study partner and I finally got around to moving from buggy as hell PacketTracer to GNS3.

My experience so far:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just took a CCENT (640-822) exam and failed with 788:bang:. Looks like I'll have to take it again while going thru my CCNA Academy course and if I can find another weekend date. I want to say my lack of lab know. doomed me but I really don't know.

Are there any good websites besides CCENT Questions for studying up on the exam or it it just reading Odom's and/or Lammle's books that should get me those last few points?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Island Nation posted:

Just took a CCENT (640-822) exam and failed with 788:bang:. Looks like I'll have to take it again while going thru my CCNA Academy course and if I can find another weekend date. I want to say my lack of lab know. doomed me but I really don't know.

Are there any good websites besides CCENT Questions for studying up on the exam or it it just reading Odom's and/or Lammle's books that should get me those last few points?

Techexams forum has some good non NDA breaking stuff. Besides that and maybe networkingforums everything else is people looking for dumps. I don't think there are any secrets to learning anything. You just need to keep doing reps and eventually it sinks in. I think the problem most people have is what is a pass in 99% of other tests or life situations will be a fail on a Cisco exam.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Island Nation posted:

If you feel like your lack of lab practice dragged you down, spend some quality time hammering away with the Free CCNA Workbook and GNS3.

Either that, or when you start your CCNA Academy course, jump at the first opportunity to download PacketTracer and ride that particular horse for all it's worth.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
^^^
GNS3 Workbench is good for this.

Failed ICND2 today with 700 or so. Have been putting it off for a long time and was completely out of practice for simulations. Took me far longer than I thought it would. Compared to ICND1 I found time management a much bigger issue too. I found the questions reasonable but I did have a few gaps where I had to guess.

ToG fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 8, 2013

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Island Nation posted:

I practiced the poo poo out of the practice exams that came with Odom's book until I was totally comfortable with all of the questions. I found that it helped for the sim questions that I got when I wrote it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

VCP FYI:

Anyone who signed up to be on the waiting list for the $180-something VCP qualifying course at stanly.edu, make sure you check your spam folder. They're going through the waiting list for the August session now and gmail routed that poo poo right to spam for me.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a month to study for the CCNA, pulled the trigger and everything. Good news is... I've been studying for the better part of two months now. I think I'm going to be fully prepated to take on the exam as 640-802. YOCATCO

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How long does it reasonably take one to get CCNA-Certified?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Tab8715 posted:

Depends on your starting point.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

VR Cowboy posted:

I practiced the poo poo out of the practice exams that came with Odom's book until I was totally comfortable with all of the questions. I found that it helped for the sim questions that I got when I wrote it.

I also went through the practice questions in the books, but I found that after a while I wasn't really "answering the question", but just "saying what the answer is" due to repetition. Not a big deal for the trivia questions, but I got lazy when it came time to "solve for x".

The Pearson practice tests that they bundle with some of the books are pretty great and come with a good variety of questions, but even still, with enough reps I started running into the same ones over and over again.

Some enterprising goon could make a fortune writing a test engine that randomly generates the numbers and corresponding answers - or maybe someone already has and I just haven't heard of it. That would have been enough to keep me on my toes past the eighth or ninth practice round.

I read this as YOTACO. If I ever open a taco stand, I know what I'll name it.

Tab8715 posted:

Depends on your resources, schedule, and most importantly, motivation. Some (few) people can knock it out in a month, others take three to six, and others still are studying for the CCNA in perpetuity.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

tarepanda posted:

Depends on your starting point.

I've programmed routers before... small things...