Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Came across some Tornado action today.

Edit: \/\/\/ haha, phone post :v:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Whoa, check out them side pipes. There's another 'o' in Toronado, though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I love advertisements from the 80's & early 90's. Most of them were in your face with "our car is better than their car" attitudes. Volvo was probably the best at it.

(if anyone can find this in a bigger resolution that would be awesome)

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Devyl posted:

I love advertisements from the 80's & early 90's. Most of them were in your face with "our car is better than their car" attitudes. Volvo was probably the best at it.

I'm trying to collect old volvo ads like that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Gotta love the turboTURBOTurboTURBO era.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I always thought this one was a bit silly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hog Obituary posted:

You misspelled awesome.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hog Obituary posted:

Clearly you've never been to San Francisco.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

They were right!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got to do a quick shoot of a friend's 1950 Mercury tonight - I'd prefer to shoot during the day (ISO 6400 and metal halide parking lot lights leave.. a bit to be desired), but this is the only time we were able to actually meet up anytime soon.

His dad left it to him when he passed away - it hasn't run in at least a decade (possibly as long as 20 years?) until recently. It's definitely a bit rough as it sits, but he has lots of plans for it.

Interior is from a 1964(?) Thunderbird, engine is a late 70s Chevy 350, no idea what the hell the steering column/wheel is from. I assume the trans is a TH350, he's not 100% sure on it. The windshield has a sticker from a long-defunct dragstrip, which made me chuckle a bit. Wish I'd remembered to get a photo of the sticker..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 4, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like a steering wheel and column from a 70's Trans Am.

Cool car, that thing has potential.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's definitely from some kind of GM - the ignition key has a GMC logo. :v:

Looking at it closer, I'm pretty sure you're right.

It's got tons of potential. Mechanically, it's solid, just slow (late 70s smog-era engine), he even claims working a/c. The body is straight, though the welds that attach the top are rusty as poo poo. Windshield is cracked, I don't think Safelite is going to stock something for a 63 year old car with a chopped top though. :downs:

Since the handles/locks are shaved, he has to leave the windows down whenever he parks it :saddowns: - whatever electric door opener mechanism it has doesn't work. It usually lives in his garage though - and he has a solid daily driver (mid 00s Focus), so this is very much a weekend cruiser for him.

He plans to keep it mostly as-is, aside from power and body repairs. He was very close to his dad and doesn't want to ever get rid of it, nor make any major changes. Just wants to improve upon what's already there.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 4, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You can tell which trans it has by the shape of the pan.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

some texas redneck posted:

He was very close to his dad and doesn't want to ever get rid of it, nor make any major changes. Just wants to improve upon what's already there.

You'd be mental to get rid of it whether it was his father's car or not. I love it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 4, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's the first day of this years Big Power Meet in Västerås, Sweden, and my first jawdropper was this 1959 Cadillac Eldorado that must have been polished and cleaned minutes before I got there. No other explanation of the cleanliness I saw all around.

Got the 8mpx originals from my phone in case anybody wants the full detail. Heading out Friday to shoot the actual judges-award cruising with my DSLR.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

MrLonghair posted:

It's the first day of this years Big Power Meet in Västerås, Sweden, and my first jawdropper was this 1959 Cadillac Eldorado that must have been polished and cleaned minutes before I got there. No other explanation of the cleanliness I saw all around.

Got the 8mpx originals from my phone in case anybody wants the full detail. Heading out Friday to shoot the actual judges-award cruising with my DSLR.

Oh my god that is so awesome. That is a $100k car in the USA, I cant imagine what it cost to buy/maintain over there.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh my god that is so awesome. That is a $100k car in the USA, I cant imagine what it cost to buy/maintain over there.

Holy poo poo. I knew they were very collectible but had no idea they were in that range until you mentioned it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

He was very close to his dad and doesn't want to ever get rid of it, nor make any major changes. Just wants to improve upon what's already there.

I hear that. :sympathy:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Great plate, or greatest plate?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Saw the motorcycle my friends dad made some time back. It's got a car engine, so I thought it fit here:

:911:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

There were a whole bunch of cool cars here for my town's 4th of July parade, both in the parade and parked. I took photos!

A neat Beetle (neatle).

Convertibeetle!

'49(ers) Beetle.

Cool BMW from the local anti-environmentalist group!

Old fire truck.

America trucks! :patriot:

hoers

There's nothing more American than a Mini!

Bitchin' Sebring convertible.

Some kinda old coupe or something? It said "California Special" on it so I guess it's the emissions control version.

getcher milk

LARKINS, complete with original Larkins

Firebird.

These guys forgot to put the hoods back on their cars when they were done working on them.

the coolest car ever (notice the skull hanging from the bumper)

truk

As for parked cars:

The rear window was sealed with duct tape. :(

These two were across the street from each other:

vrom

vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 5, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The proper way to fix a dent.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew they were very collectible but had no idea they were in that range until you mentioned it.

We had a 59 Biarritz sell at my auction, unrestored, for $80,000. Restored they go for a quarter million. 59 Caddies are the end all, be all of Cadillacs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

VikingSkull posted:

We had a 59 Biarritz sell at my auction, unrestored, for $80,000. Restored they go for a quarter million. 59 Caddies are the end all, be all of Cadillacs.

Holy poo poo, I never knew they were that much. No wonder that guy parked a million miles from the other cars.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

The proper way to fix a dent.

Putting your instagram tag is pretty much the worst thing

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This was the drugstore & alcohol-shop (Sweden, alcoholic drinks above 3.X% can only be sold by special shops) side of this shopping block, even my moms old Mazda felt safer. People were stocking up on groceries rather than just alcohol, which surprised us both.

And this background feature from the front shot almost qualifies for hella-scrape in some speedbump-rich parts of town, saw a Murcielago taking on a bump at a 45 degree angle in order to pass it.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Cool BMW from the local anti-environmentalist group!

What do the signs say? All I can make out is "private property, no entry."

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Spotted this bad boy yesterday

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

DropShadow posted:

Probably "I hate poors."

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Hung at the main cruise line of Power Meet for an hour, got the crankiest lumbar from shooting what was finest cleanest looking year of PM in recent memory. Gimme an IMG_ number and I'll clean it up and put it in here for display (requests via PM are ok, also okay with sending raw .CR2 files of choice to your email). Never seen so many clean mirror-shine surfaces in a Power Meet cruise.

1965 and on is where the competition cruise of 200 judge favourites ends up in my lane (great choice of position, me!)
2076 and on document a little traffic jam by the grocery store and a Silverado with funny Swedish written on it

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Hung at the main cruise line of Power Meet for an hour, got the crankiest lumbar from shooting what was finest cleanest looking year of PM in recent memory. Gimme an IMG_ number and I'll clean it up and put it in here for display (requests via PM are ok, also okay with sending raw .CR2 files of choice to your email). Never seen so many clean mirror-shine surfaces in a Power Meet cruise.

1965 and on is where the competition cruise of 200 judge favourites ends up in my lane (great choice of position, me!)
2076 and on document a little traffic jam by the grocery store and a Silverado with funny Swedish written on it

At least these please.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

toplitzin posted:

At least these please.

Converted to 1920 width for easy self-cropping and background-making, here the four are on a gallery page: http://imgur.com/a/QwzBh
(Because I don't understand how to revert whatever I did into something I can embed as tImg)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Converted to 1920 width for easy self-cropping and background-making, here the four are on a gallery page: http://imgur.com/a/QwzBh
(Because I don't understand how to revert whatever I did into something I can embed as tImg)

mmmm, sexy. THANKS!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

DropShadow posted:

"Private property, no entry without owner's permission."

Basically it's a group formed because the rich homeowners around here were pissed at the local environmental non-profit for promoting regulations that restrict development around the creeks that a kind of endangered salmon lives in. Their slogan is "helping fish AND families", but they don't actually help the fish at all. People on their side have also threatened the non-profit's director, and destroyed a fish-trap device that counts young fish (probably killing a few of the fish in the thing at the time), but have (of course) been disavowed by the organization.

Reichstag posted:

Probably "I hate poors."

Less that, more "gently caress You/The Fish, Got Mine".

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Maybe those fish should get a loving job.

on topic: fishcar

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Best hood ornament of this years Power Meet-car :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Moxie Omen posted:

on topic: fishcar

B13 Sentra?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Saw a super clean later model NSX in my town while I was heading downtown to watch 4th of July fireworks last night. It's the first NSX I've seen in this town and drat it looked good. The driver noticed my girlfriend taking pictures and revved it a bit next to us. I'm not sure what these sound like stock but it was loud and delicious.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
So I saw an incredibly rare car today. I had to chase it down to get a picture. It sounded loving marvelous. The turbo spooled just off idle and I could hear it all the way down the street when it accelerated. Driven by an older guy.

Love the plate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Has it been long enough that those are exempt now?

I googled the plate and found more photos: http://followgram.me/thedaniel/204514987668624410_143796