Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Ive changed plugs on 3 4.6s all which had 80,000+ and several years on the plugs with no problems. 2 DOHC, one SOHC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Wasn't it mostly the 5.4 that had those problems?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Wasn't it mostly the 5.4 that had those problems?

Yeah, the 4.6 you couldn't keep the plugs in, the 5.4s you couldn't get em out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The blowing plugs thing seems like one of those massively overstated internet jokes to me. Look at the number of 500+HP stock headed 4.6 DOHCs running around.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ford's mod motor plug issues start with the fact that there are too few threads in the aluminum head for the plug. Then it's a cross between the plugs staying in the head untouched for way too long and hamfisted idiots damaging the threads when the plugs are removed a/o new ones installed. I've had to do a head job on each (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) because of blowouts, all with a similar story. "I/A shop just did plugs on it one week/month ago!"

E: Actually, I lied. The 6.8 blowout was on a van, with the stock plugs still in it, belonging to our agency that we were about to get rid of so I did the iffy "threaded insert and super long plug" kit fix.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 4, 2013

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I had a 5.4 F150 for 6 months. I got rid of it after two plugs blew out and made the truck sound like an industrial air compressor. Ford, while not admitting that there is a problem, makes a tool for cutting threads and vacuuming out the shavings all without taking the head off.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

The blowing plugs thing seems like one of those massively overstated internet jokes to me. Look at the number of 500+HP stock headed 4.6 DOHCs running around.

My stock 320HP Cobra decided to randomly poo poo out a plug one day. It was six months after I bought the car.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Powershift posted:

Yeah, the 4.6 you couldn't keep the plugs in, the 5.4s you couldn't get em out.

As far as I know, the 4.6 and 5.4 use the same heads. The difference was in the 2V vs 3V motors. 2V would blow plugs out, on the 3V, the plugs would break off in the head and you have to use a special tool to get them out.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

emptyspace posted:

As far as I know, the 4.6 and 5.4 use the same heads. The difference was in the 2V vs 3V motors. 2V would blow plugs out, on the 3V, the plugs would break off in the head and you have to use a special tool to get them out.

Pretty sure they're different but probably similar. Sold a head to a shop the other day and when he changed his mind that it was a 5.4 and not a 4.6 it was a different (and more expensive) part number.

When Dorman makes a plug repair kit for your engine (even including a new plug!) and multiple tool companies make specialty tools for hosed plugs, you have a design problem.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

emptyspace posted:

There is a TSB about plug removal in the 5.4l 3V heads. Follow it exactly, and you should have minimal problems. In brief, let the engine go full cold while soaking the plug wells in carb cleaner overnight. The cleaner will wick down the threads and soften the carbon buildup, but you will still have to carefully work the plugs out.
YMMV, but in the last couple of years, I've only had to use the special removal tool a couple of times.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

emptyspace posted:

the modular motors are not made out of modular components, there is relatively little shared parts content. they're made on a modular assembly line: i.e. the line can be converted from 2v/4.6 to 3v/4.6 to 2v/5.4 overnight.

afaik the truck engines with the exploding heads were 5.4 2v

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the modular motors are not made out of modular components, there is relatively little shared parts content. they're made on a modular assembly line: i.e. the line can be converted from 2v/4.6 to 3v/4.6 to 2v/5.4 overnight.

afaik the truck engines with the exploding heads were 5.4 2v

Yeah, I know that modular refers to the assembly line, not to the motor itself. But I also know that the 5.4 is basically a 4.6 with a taller deck. Like the 351w vs the 302w. I've seen on other Ford-specific forums where people say the heads interchange, but I'll take Fuzzkill's word if he says the shop told him they're different. I've never actually compared a 4.6 2v head to a 5.4 2v head, so I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
While I don't have any pictures, I just witnessed a very strange mechanic(al) failure. I'm waiting to turn left, and I see a late second gen Camaro ahead of me lose a wheel. So I go straight through the intersection instead of turning, and ask the driver (wearing a three piece suit without the jacket) if he needs a hand. He frowns and says "Lemme think about that" as he pulls his wheel out of the ditch. Then he gets back into the car and fuckin' floors it down the road, dragging the right front brake disk. So there I am, about to offer him a jack, standing in his cloud of dust, next to his wheel (which he left in the road). I drive home via the road he took and never saw him again, what a strange fellow. I guess he was late for whatever he was going to? But he didn't even throw his wheel in the trunk. :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Raluek posted:

While I don't have any pictures, I just witnessed a very strange mechanic(al) failure. I'm waiting to turn left, and I see a late second gen Camaro ahead of me lose a wheel. So I go straight through the intersection instead of turning, and ask the driver (wearing a three piece suit without the jacket) if he needs a hand. He frowns and says "Lemme think about that" as he pulls his wheel out of the ditch. Then he gets back into the car and fuckin' floors it down the road, dragging the right front brake disk. So there I am, about to offer him a jack, standing in his cloud of dust, next to his wheel (which he left in the road). I drive home via the road he took and never saw him again, what a strange fellow. I guess he was late for whatever he was going to? But he didn't even throw his wheel in the trunk. :psyduck:

Who the hell drives a plastic fantastic camaro and wears a three piece suit?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrYenko posted:

Man, I don't even know. Someone in a hurry, I guess.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Worlds most dapper car thief?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

MrYenko posted:

2nd gens were not plastic, mister :mad:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

A defendant.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't own a camaro of any kind, but I did drive my Comanche to a job interview wearing a full suit a few weeks ago. Yes, the beat up, lifted, rotted, mud covered one with speed tape holding the tail lights on.

The double takes going down the highway with KMFDM blasting and my arm out the window were glorious.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 7, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

2nd gens were not plastic, mister :mad:

:colbert:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Touchè, good sir.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I had a friend in high school who had a '73 with the split front bumper. drat good looking car. His was a bit more rusty, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The low down on mod motor heads:

4.6 SOHC 2V:
92-98 (later for town cars) NPI heads (boat anchors)
99+ PI heads
98 Ford SVO head

4.6 SOHC 3V:
2005+ Mustang Heads

4.6 DOHC:
93-98 B-port heads
99-03? C-port aka Tumble port heads
02 FR500 heads
03+ Cobra/Terminator heads
Cobra R Cyl heads

5.4 SOHC 2V and 3V
03+ Truck heads

5.4 DOHC
99+ Tumble port navigator heads
Ford GT and Shelby GT500 heads

5.0 DOHC:
Coyote heads of course in the new Mustang

5.8L heads in the 2013 GT500...know nothing about em

6.8L V10:
Has 2V and 3V versions but who cares cause this engine sucks.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 7, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

The low down on mod motor heads:

4.6 SOHC 2V:
92-98 (later for town cars) NPI heads (boat anchors)
99+ PI heads
98 Ford SVO head

4.6 SOHC 3V:
2005+ Mustang Heads

4.6 DOHC:
93-98 B-port heads
99-03? C-port aka Tumble port heads
02 FR500 heads
03+ Cobra/Terminator heads
Cobra R Cyl heads

5.4 SOHC 2V and 3V
03+ Truck heads

5.4 DOHC
99+ Tumble port navigator heads
Ford GT and Shelby GT500 heads

5.0 DOHC:
Coyote heads of course in the new Mustang

5.8L heads in the 2013 GT500...know nothing about em

6.8L V10:
Has 2V and 3V versions but who cares cause this engine sucks.

90% sure the australian v8 falcon had this engine for a while, it was criticized for being enormous, heavy, slow-revving and based on a pickup truck motor when compared to the LS2.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

90% sure the australian v8 falcon had this engine for a while, it was criticized for being enormous, heavy, slow-revving and based on a pickup truck motor when compared to the LS2.

I think most of the criticism was comparing it to the turbo 6

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

I think most of the criticism was comparing it to the turbo 6

I'm thinking about the time I walked into an engine builder's and there was one sitting on a pallet on the floor, and without being prompted the proprietor gave me a little lecture about how poo poo they are. But the criticism was definitely in comparison to both the I6 turbo and the LS2, I remember that distinctly.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I saw some scary poo poo on the highway yesterday. It was a lady driving a late 90's Chevy with some sort of catastrophic front suspension failure. The front drivers side wheel was cocked in at a ridiculous angle. She was just bombing along at about 60 with her hazards on and smoke pouring off of that wheel. I can't imagine driving that car and then deciding to get on the highway for a nice trip in that rolling road hazard.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slavvy posted:

Ford GT seems to be pretty good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Ford GT seems to be pretty good.

It's also supercharged :)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slavvy posted:

It's also supercharged :)

Ahh yea I wouldn't use an NA mod motor over an aluminum block LS motor ever and I love mod motors.

...ones with turbos

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's hard to believe, but In the US for 3 months ford sold it's second smallest car with a 252hp/270ft/lb 2.0T i4 and the same time it's largest car was sold with a 239hp/287hp 4.6l v8. cheap engines have come a long way in the last few years.

edit: here's a mechanical failure, this is what it takes to write off a 40,000km, 2006 BMW M5.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 7, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

It's hard to believe, but In the US for 3 months ford sold it's second smallest car with a 252hp/270ft/lb 2.0T i4 and the same time it's largest car was sold with a 239hp/287hp 4.6l v8. cheap engines have come a long way in the last few years.

Especially hard to believe considering how protective Ford was of the Mustang during the late-90s through the mid-2000s. To the point where the Focus was the only model in the SVT lineup to not offer forced induction when pretty much all of their competitors (except for Honda and Nissan) were offering some version or another of a hot hatch/sport compact with a turbo or supercharger.

And then there's the upcoming Fiesta ST to consider. Ford has done a radical 180 from their position of "if you want a fast car it must have 8 cylinders" of 5-10 years ago.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

The FPV V8s had their own heads which were made in Australia. The V8s used in the stock Falcons (BA and BF) were the three valve truck head.

The Mod V8s were criticised in Australia for being too high revving actually, and having no real low down torque like the Falcon six or LSx.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I really wish I didn't have to post in this thread this often, or really ever. However, I noticed some looseness of a piston in a 350 I got from craigslist about a year ago, in order to limp me a few hundred miles home. Turns out the "just rebuilt 20k miles ago" engine is not in super great shape. I've only taken the driver's side bank apart so far, and this is what I've found:

There are more than a couple things wrong here. This is the piston that felt loose as I was trying to scrub off the carbon buildup from the top.

Surprisingly, this is not the same cylinder.

:barf:

Crank journal to go with the above.

How does this even happen?

Yea, that's not good.

Something that's not very apparent from this picture is that one of these rods is the odd man out, totally different casting. Also marked as a second cylinder #1, but is in hole #3. Also also, the rod that was in hole #5 was marked #6. Great. Frankenmotor.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

AlternateAccount posted:

So am I the only one who's first experience jacking up a car was with one of these?

I lost a good chunk of my finger in one of those.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"Rebuilt 20k miles ago"*

*By my brother Cletus for a case of Bud Ice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Something that's not very apparent from this picture is that one of these rods is the odd man out, totally different casting. Also marked as a second cylinder #1, but is in hole #3. Also also, the rod that was in hole #5 was marked #6. Great. Frankenmotor.
Thank you for the reminder that "rebuilt engine" doesn't mean properly rebuilt.

I can't wait to see the passenger bank.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Thank you for the reminder that "rebuilt engine" doesn't mean properly rebuilt.

I can't wait to see the passenger bank.

Yeah, so now I have to replace this motor, so back to Craigslist! At least I know now to check all of the rod bearings before purchase, instead of just one. Also to not ignore that alarm in the back of my head that goes off when all of the gaskets are RTV. But, when you have to have a motor this weekend, sometimes some precautions get silenced.

As for the passenger bank, it actually looked much better. Two rods marked "#2", so that means they are ordered "1" "2" "1" "2" "6" "5" "7" "8". Well, that many punch dots, anyway; the rebuilder didn't seem to have a set of numbered punches onhand. Except for one of the "#1" ones.

The culprits. Also shown: The Butt Doctor rattlegun. Love that thing. :allears:

I made an imgur album of all the pics from this side, because there's nothing nearly as catastrophic as the other side, but all of the bearings definitely look like hell: http://imgur.com/a/2t1HD

The only one that is worthy of this thread is this guy:

Plus the horrible mechanic failure of having the compression ring gaps right next to each other.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The rings spin around when the engine is running. Gap placement is a bullshit old wives tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Powershift posted:

edit: here's a mechanical failure, this is what it takes to write off a 40,000km, 2006 BMW M5.

I'm amazed at how little it takes to total a car these days. A couple of weeks ago my buddy banged up his SRT-4. Worn tires + rain + whatever unholy amount of power that thing is making now = making love to a guardrail. No mechanical damage whatsoever. Just a banged up front fender and a nice deep scrape across the doors and back fender. Even though those cars seem to hold their value well its very much totaled. I've been trying to convince him to buy it back and swap the engine into a K-car.