Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fedule posted:

From what I gather (which is an offhand mention in a press release whose lines I am reading in between) they're going with "Ultimate" for the students' titles, and Monokuma instead of Monobear.

The last you'll be hearing about the SHSL Translation is when I put together a few choice scenes just so you can see what we were going for, and how the edited translation compares with Oren's original translations (and with Project Zetsubou's (and eventually with the official localization's)). This'll probably be a few short LP-style posts. Later.

Huh, thinking it through I actually like Ultimate as a translation in place of SHSL. Looking forward to those translation posts if only to see some of the stuff HelloWinter was doing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hmm, Ultimate Idol, Ultimate Otaku, Ultimate Despair, Ultimate Hope. I like it, but just looking at Nagito from this game having SHSL Good Luck, how do they reconcile two people having the same "Ultimate" skill? Ultimate implies that there is only one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Hmm, Ultimate Idol, Ultimate Otaku, Ultimate Despair, Ultimate Hope. I like it, but just looking at Nagito from this game having SHSL Good Luck, how do they reconcile two people having the same "Ultimate" skill? Ultimate implies that there is only one.

Since they establish right from the start there's an Ultimate Luck every year I doubt it'll be an issue.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
Kind of random but it occurs to me that we've had two cases in a row where one of the sticking points is 'something up so high you can't reach it'. In the first case, it was the fuse box. Now, the window.

I guess there aren't any ladders on this island.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But they already had it translated like that with "Super Duper Nasty Torture".

As a rule, you should never take any English in a Japanese-language product for perfect and valid. Many Japanese people do not speak English very well, and as a result a lot of the English used in games and similar is just there 'because it sounds/looks cool'.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As a rule, you should never take any English in a Japanese-language product for perfect and valid. Many Japanese people do not speak English very well, and as a result a lot of the English used in games and similar is just there 'because it sounds/looks cool'.

Case in point, Edge Maverick from Star Ocean 4. Most of the native English speakers I know cringe at that name.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Kind of like the people who get tattoos in Japanese or Chinese despite not knowing what they say. Which, often times, aren't what they think...

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
But does "Super Duper" really have to refer to SHSL? I just assumed they were unrelated.

Am I just being dumb?

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

mynameishong posted:

But does "Super Duper" really have to refer to SHSL? I just assumed they were unrelated.

Am I just being dumb?

Basically the literal translation of 超高校級 is roughly "Super High School Level/Class" but the game itself translates 超高校級 to "Super Duper" during Junko's execution in the first game.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

In my head the localized translation for dangan ronpa is Super A+, both because it's a high school and because Super A+ Despair's acronym would be SAD, which is just nauseatingly appropriate.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Basically the literal translation of 超高校級 is roughly "Super High School Level/Class" but the game itself translates 超高校級 to "Super Duper" during Junko's execution in the first game.

That same title translated おしおき to "Nasty Torture", so.

Like Curtiss said a few posts up, taking any English in a Japanese release as a translation suggestion is misguided. They're usually written by Japanese people who can't really speak good English and just want something cool in their game, packaging or advertisement. It's as bad as people who insist on translating every katakana word verbatim.

I already elaborated on why I think Super High-school Level is a better translation than Super Duper (High School) elsewhere, so I won't repeat it here. Reading back, there's much I don't like about the DR1 LP translation, but this is one choice I'm pretty confident is.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

orenronen posted:

I already elaborated on why I think Super High-school Level is a better translation than Super Duper (High School) elsewhere, so I won't repeat it here. Reading back, there's much I don't like about the DR1 LP translation, but this is one choice I'm pretty confident is.

And Monobear. I mean it when I say that was an intelligent decision that I'm very happy you made.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever have to clarify that. Monokuma in the english release. Jesus that's terrible. :sigh:

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 7, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And Monobear. I mean it when I say that was an intelligent decision that I'm very happy you made.

If for nothing else than the unbearable puns.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seriously orenoren, I think your LPs are why the games are exploding in popularity (see SA being referred to by some as the 'Dangan Ronpa forum'), and you need to offer your services and poo poo to help translate. Sure, you may not live in the States, but this is the loving Information Era- it shouldn't be too hard for people to wire you money.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I honestly didn't think I'd ever have to clarify that. Monokuma in the english release. Jesus that's terrible. :sigh:

No they seem to be going with Monobear from what I can tell.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I could not possibly care less about Monobear/Monokuma, I only care that they don't pick dumb poo poo like "Super Duper," which apparently they aren't doing so I'll probably be cool. What I'm mad about is splitting 1+2 Reload back into two games, no doubt just to give us the loving squeeze.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly, if I was in a position of power at NISA, I'd do the same thing. Spending time and money to translate two text heavy games and then selling them for the price of one is not a financially sound decision, especially for a niche game on a not very popular system.

Plus, this way they can test the waters and see if there's a market for the series. If DR1 does poorly, they just saved themselves a lot of money by not translating DR2. If it does well, then they can know that translating DR2 isn't a waste of money.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they seem to be going with Monobear from what I can tell.

Wait, really? The press release went with "Monokuma" though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

What I'm mad about is splitting 1+2 Reload back into two games, no doubt just to give us the loving squeeze.
You really don't seem to understand how much work it would take to localize a game like Dangan Ronpa. They need to redraw a number of graphics, organize certain minigames to better fit (anagram game comes to mind), get voice actors who will go into recording hours of voiced scenes, and then translate all the text on top of that. And that's just the first game they need to do all that for, to get an early 2014 release. If they were to do both games at once, we'd probably only get it in 2015 and there's no guarantee that it will succeed. Best to test waters with the first game and then move on to the second.

I have to be honest, I'm surprised how pessimistic the overall outlook seems to be. NIS isn't a bad company by any means when it comes to localizing and yes we won't get the second game with the first, but there's plenty of good reasons as to why that is. Reload has both games in Japan because it's just a port to a different console, with a couple new features to it. For the US/UK markets, it's an entirely new series being introduced.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

lotus circle posted:

You really don't seem to understand how much work it would take to localize a game like Dangan Ronpa. They need to redraw a number of graphics, organize certain minigames to better fit (anagram game comes to mind), get voice actors who will go into recording hours of voiced scenes, and then translate all the text on top of that.

Not to mention fixing a lot of references that only people familiar with Japanese media would get.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait, really? The press release went with "Monokuma" though.

It's been alternating on different site's.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I could not possibly care less about Monobear/Monokuma, I only care that they don't pick dumb poo poo like "Super Duper," which apparently they aren't doing so I'll probably be cool. What I'm mad about is splitting 1+2 Reload back into two games, no doubt just to give us the loving squeeze.

Honestly I think NIS deserves praise, if anything. They've got a history of publishing a lot of niche titles in the west that would otherwise never see the light of day. This game is by no means a sure thing financially, and doing two games is twice the work with absolutely no guarantee of return. I'm really glad they're taking the risk on it, and while I can't justify buying a Vita for a single game I hope the gamble they're making on it pays off.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, oren, you legitimately should send in your information to the localization team.

And if they use "necroissant" without your permission you should sue the hell out of them. The word necroissant is your intellectual property.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, think of it this way. Through complete coincidence, Monokuma sounds vaguely like monochrome. :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Anatharon posted:

Well, think of it this way. Through complete coincidence, Monokuma sounds vaguely like monochrome. :v:

... your bedside manner is terrible.

Anyway, a thought just occurred to me; the rerelease is on the Vita, right? So they're using higher resolution assets, right? Is it possible that the LP may switched from the PSP version to the Vita version to take advantage of all the pretty pixels the bigger screen pumps out? Or will we stick to the PSP version and have slowbeef do another trip report? (which is naturally his responsibility alone and nobody may ever take over for him :v: )

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Personally, I'm looking forward to this. Regardless of how different their localization ends up being from Oren's, the fact that it's even coming out here at all (and on a system I actually own) is more than enough to make me a happy goon. Definitely planning on preordering this as soon as I can.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Anyway, a thought just occurred to me; the rerelease is on the Vita, right? So they're using higher resolution assets, right? Is it possible that the LP may switched from the PSP version to the Vita version to take advantage of all the pretty pixels the bigger screen pumps out? Or will we stick to the PSP version and have slowbeef do another trip report? (which is naturally his responsibility alone and nobody may ever take over for him :v: )

I will most certainly buy the Vita version once it's released, but unfortunately it's a console that isn't easy to capture unless you buy expensive custom hardware, which I don't see myself buying.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
One small minor detail I was thinking about was whether they'll keep the blood pink for the localization. That seems like a decision that would bother quite a few people either way.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

And if it's true - and it looks pretty legit at this point - then SHSL Translation is over.

Really? :(

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Yeah. This sort of thing when an official release exists is kind of a big no-no, unfortunately. We had a fun run, and who knows. We may try out hand at a different game soon. But as for the SHSLTranslation of the original Dangan Ronpa? Yeah, that's done.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

At least now orenronen can justify not going back to do those last few parts of DR1!

At least now orenronen has a lot of free time back and couldn't possibly justify NOT finishing his DR1 LP. :colbert:

(Or is it against the rules to continue with that now?)

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

FighterKnuckles posted:

Yeah. This sort of thing when an official release exists is kind of a big no-no, unfortunately. We had a fun run, and who knows. We may try out hand at a different game soon. But as for the SHSLTranslation of the original Dangan Ronpa? Yeah, that's done.

I suppose I shouldn't hope that by "Original" you mean just the first DR thread, as opposed to "the original japanese games" (including DR2).

Jeez, talk about Despair inducing. Since I've no plans to get a PSP/Vita the only way I'd get to the end of DR2 is either the Manga or the anime adaptations, and those do not seem to be as enjoyable as discussing them on this thread with all of you. No theorizing, or detective work, just watching the story being fed to me as succinctly as possible.

I hope not, but the looming Despair just seems all too fitting :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Joenen posted:

I suppose I shouldn't hope that by "Original" you mean just the first DR thread, as opposed to "the original japanese games" (including DR2).

Jeez, talk about Despair inducing. Since I've no plans to get a PSP/Vita the only way I'd get to the end of DR2 is either the Manga or the anime adaptations, and those do not seem to be as enjoyable as discussing them on this thread with all of you. No theorizing, or detective work, just watching the story being fed to me as succinctly as possible.

I hope not, but the looming Despair just seems all too fitting :(

He doesn't mean the threads at all, he means the fan translation patch project for DR1 on the PSP that orenronen and other posters were working on.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Idran posted:

He doesn't mean the threads at all, he means the fan translation patch project for DR1 on the PSP that orenronen and other posters were working on.

Oh. Well then....

Thank God :)

Hopefully that project wasn't too far along.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yes - to make things perfectly clear: this thread continues as usual, since there aren't even any guarantees DR2 is getting an official localization. What we aren't going on with is the fan translation patch based on the first LP.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, oren, you legitimately should send in your information to the localization team.

And if they use "necroissant" without your permission you should sue the hell out of them. The word necroissant is your intellectual property.

Everybody here who doesn't have a LinkedIn account (especially orenoren) get one, and add an endorsement for "Localization" in orenoren's profile. See what they think of a guy with several thousand goon endorsements. :v:

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
Between that and Persona I might have to actually break down and get a Vita!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

orenronen posted:

I will most certainly buy the Vita version once it's released, but unfortunately it's a console that isn't easy to capture unless you buy expensive custom hardware, which I don't see myself buying.

Fedule has the hardware; would it be too much to ask to get him to record segments? :v:

Alternatively, as long as the screenshot function of the Vita doesn't leave a watermark, then there shouldn't be any problem with switching for the non-trial segments.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 7, 2013

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Bad news, they are SPOILERING key parts of the first game in the add that they are showing on this site.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ChaosArgate posted:

Alternatively, as long as the screenshot function of the Vita doesn't leave a watermark, then there shouldn't be any problem with switching for the non-trial segments.

Game by game basis, some games leave the screen clean but some put a copyright watermark on it for some reason. Spike Chunsoft's Virtue's Last Reward put the game's logo in the bottom right so I'm guessing there'll be a DanganRonpa logo there too.

• Locked thread