Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

Also isn't the blonde hair of the female titan going to be a big giveaway?

They could make it white like Reiner. I'm not sure though, Christa also has blonde hair and I don't remember her showing up during Annie's rampage either. These kinda things can also seem allot more obvious in hind-sight than what a person going in blind would see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Pensive posted:

They could make it white like Reiner. I'm not sure though, Christa also has blonde hair and I don't remember her showing up during Annie's rampage either. These kinda things can also seem allot more obvious in hind-sight than what a person going in blind would see.

She showed up with horses for Reiner, Jean and Armin as Titan Annie was leaving them behind. It was the first of Reiner's "just marry me already :blush:" moments

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Jackard posted:

I don't remember her titan form having a distinctively large nose, so I'm sure it won't be super obvious.

Also I'm willing to bet that the anime-only crowd will just be like "No way, another trainee as a titan? Annie joined the police force for a comfortable life! What are the chances, that makes no sense!"

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I wonder how the hell the Scouting Legion plans to stop Reiner and Bert.

They could both single-handedly clobber the entire group in open combat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Thoren posted:

Wasn't their plan just to get Ymir and Eren, then get the hell out of dodge, with hopefully 60% casualties? :v:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thoren posted:

That's true if Bert and Ernie were bringing their A game, but the two aren't exactly in the best condition right now. They've had like no food or sleep for a day, and they're surrounded by other titans that are also going to try to kill them. All the scouting legion has to do is grab Eren and they win. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jackard posted:

I expect anime people to figure her out almost immediately. I had completely forgotten who Annie was when her titan form showed up, in a weekly anime it'll be a lot easier to remember her and notice how similar the hair is.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2013

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

That's true if Bert and Ernie were bringing their A game, but the two aren't exactly in the best condition right now. They've had like no food or sleep for a day,

It would be awesome if the panel with Mikasa and Armin eating rations turns out to be the deciding factor of the next fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

U-DO Burger posted:

That's true if Bert and Ernie were bringing their A game, but the two aren't exactly in the best condition right now. They've had like no food or sleep for a day, and they're surrounded by other titans that are also going to try to kill them. All the scouting legion has to do is grab Eren and they win. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

They're also carrying a rage bomb on their back. And if anything happens to Christa then Ymir goes off the reservation too.

If they do make it back to their town, I kind of hope that the elders, or whatever, just flip their lid after 3 minutes talking to Eren. Seriously not someone to bring back to your enemy home base.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

And if anything happens to Christa then Ymir goes off the reservation too.

But something may have happened to her already :ohdear:

I hope the lack of blood around Ymir's mouth afterwards is a good sign.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It looks like her cloak and sword-magazine to me. Especially with no blood since Isayama loves drawing that splattering around when limbs get bitten off.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea that's clearly her equipment.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I kind of like the idea of Christa being gravely injured. It adds a lot of tension to the situation, and adds to the whole "poo poo is hosed up" feel of the series.

The best part about the last couple chapters is how it feels like team titan pilots have become the series' temporary protagonists.

I can't be the only one rooting for them to get away, right? :shobon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2017

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I bet there are other human settlements like Eren's, maybe some that had their walls compromised or something. Just no one has left the wall, so they don't know. Kind of Fallout-y.

Also, I'm sure what the titans are searching for is the coordinates for Raftel so they can obtain the ultimate freedom.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

"My titan formula? You can have it! I left it all... in ONE BASEMENT! Gahahaha!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This will all end when they open the Imperial crypt at Shuwa and kill the sentient telepathic blob covered in scriptures that lives inside.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
I just don't really think the people with titan powers were originally titans theory is very interesting or likely for some reason. I think it's more likely that anyone with titan powers is turned into a titan through some process (like the injection that Eren got) and then become truly mindless for some period of time until something happens that lets them regain their human mind. I think that thing is maybe eating a human but it's unclear maybe because of the translation exactly if that's the case from Bert and Ymir's conversation.

In other words Erens dad set up the perfect situation for Eren to turn into a titan and immediately be eaten so that Eren could turn back into a human and be none the wiser??

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's interesting when you look at some of the numbers involved with the soldier casualties. It mentioned in the anime (not sure if it also does in the manga, can't remember) that there were something like several hundred dead during the Battle of Trost. As horrifying as it seems with the Titans devouring folks and the like, any random battle from a "normal" human war would result in at least that many dead. And at least the Titans don't torture/rape people.

Do they ever give any figures on the total population inside the walls? I think they said something like 20,000 were sent out in that operation to retake Wall Maria and that it culled 20% of the population, so it seems like that would imply there are something like 80,000 left.

Regarding the people with titan powers were originally titans stuff: I can't think of any reason to think this and don't really see how you would take that from what we've seen so far. It seemed pretty clear to me that it's just difficult to control yourself the first time or two that you turn into a titan, and that you might do some bad things during this time period (like eat people).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 8, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just started watching this and I'm surprised how good it is. I'm only on like episode 6 though.

I'm not really an anime guy, I don't really understand most of how this stuff works. I'm just streaming it off Hulu. Is that bad? Someone on reddit said something about "sub groups", which I assume means there isn't just a universal sub. Is the Hulu one inaccurate? If so, should I watch it on a different site instead?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I just started watching this and I'm surprised how good it is. I'm only on like episode 6 though.

I'm not really an anime guy, I don't really understand most of how this stuff works. I'm just streaming it off Hulu. Is that bad? Someone on reddit said something about "sub groups", which I assume means there isn't just a universal sub. Is the Hulu one inaccurate? If so, should I watch it on a different site instead?

Go to the anime thread; this is the manga thread and you'll end up seeing a lot of spoilers if you read this. Hopefully you see this before reading too much of this thread!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ytlaya posted:

Do they ever give any figures on the total population inside the walls? I think they said something like 20,000 were sent out in that operation to retake Wall Maria and that it culled 20% of the population, so it seems like that would imply there are something like 80,000 left.

I think that the 20,000 was the number of soldiers sent out in the operation to retake Maria? The area inside the walls is meant to be the size of Germany. Even in a medieval-like society there's no way the population is only 100,000.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh

i told you i didn't know what i was doing

okay bye

edit: found it

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Since the Titan pilots are shown to be in the nape of the neck, I'm wondering if things started as biological weapons and somehow spread. If you were going to attack a Titan pilot, you'd go for the back of the neck. Somehow some Titans are just pilot-less.

Also,

Everyone posted:

Bert and Ernie
I loving love this and I'm going to use it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I suspect that all the regular titans did at one point each have an unwilling human in their neck, but at this point they are completely absorbed into the titans neck. That's why their weakspot is the back of the neck, when they cut it out, the original human is cut out even though they are only a congealed mess now.

I was really hoping they were going to capture one of titans from Connie's village for Hanji to do an autopsy on and find out what the contents of a fresh titans neck looks like. Unfortunately Bert and Ernie coming out together really screwed their chance to do a debriefing about that whole episode.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 8, 2013

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked
I don't know, the one stuck on the roof with tiny limb should still be there.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
So, is referring to Eren as a "coordinate" just a bad translation job, or is there something more that should be read into it?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Obviously, the human-titans are just titans that ate the Human Human fruit.
Ok, I'll stop making bad One Piece references...

I'm still not sure how the humans and titans are related, but I say that I am glad that when I saw Eren turn into a titan and thought this show was going to take a turn for the worst of shounen, that it still managed to stay quite entertaining.

The fact that there is something in Eren's dad's basement is interesting. He has some kind of knowledge that no one else seems to. I'm interested in how he obtained it. I bet his basement has some kind of titan-creating facilities where he built Eren. There will be some kind of giant tube with half a titan being formed or whatever and other cliche science things.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shadow0 posted:

I'm still not sure how the humans and titans are related, but I say that I am glad that when I saw Eren turn into a titan and thought this show was going to take a turn for the worst of shounen, that it still managed to stay quite entertaining.

The fact that there is something in Eren's dad's basement is interesting. He has some kind of knowledge that no one else seems to. I'm interested in how he obtained it. I bet his basement has some kind of titan-creating facilities where he built Eren. There will be some kind of giant tube with half a titan being formed or whatever and other cliche science things.

The basement obviously contains a time machine, and that marks the beginning of the time travel arc.

MoosinRound
Sep 5, 2011
So then did the talking Titan know Ymir when it was a human, or as Titan?

MoosinRound fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 9, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pandaK posted:

The basement obviously contains a time machine, and that marks the beginning of the time travel arc.

Now I really want a stasis field enabled 2000 year time skip.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shadow0 posted:

There is an orangutan in a cage in there. Turns out, orangutan blood turns people into giants! Go figure! The monkey Titan is simply searching for its young.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In non-manga news related to this series, I want this game like yesterday.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

I suspect that all the regular titans did at one point each have an unwilling human in their neck, but at this point they are completely absorbed into the titans neck. That's why their weakspot is the back of the neck, when they cut it out, the original human is cut out even though they are only a congealed mess now.

get out of my mind

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Prison Warden posted:

I think that the 20,000 was the number of soldiers sent out in the operation to retake Maria? The area inside the walls is meant to be the size of Germany. Even in a medieval-like society there's no way the population is only 100,000.

It was 200,000 soldiers and refugees, so there's something like 800,000 humans left.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
If nothing else, the timelines here definitely confirm that there's stuff happening outside the walls. Ymir was converted into a titan 40ish years after the wall people had started their century of peace.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was 200,000 soldiers and refugees, so there's something like 800,000 humans left.

200,000? Holy poo poo. That makes the "It's hard to feel happy after this battle that had massive casualties of ~300 dead" statement at the end of the Battle of Trost kind of strange.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Ytlaya posted:

200,000? Holy poo poo. That makes the "It's hard to feel happy after this battle that had massive casualties of ~300 dead" statement at the end of the Battle of Trost kind of strange.
It's a horrible thing to send so many people to their deaths but the alternative was having them and more die of starvation. I doubt a bunch of farmers and carpenters unskilled in combat were able to take down many titans, though.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

DrSunshine posted:

This will all end when they open the Imperial crypt at Shuwa and kill the sentient telepathic blob covered in scriptures that lives inside.

Eren's burning rage eventually grows so intense he turns into a God Warrior and he wipes out all the titans in an orgy of nuclear fire. But Mikasa dies of radiation poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Soulcleaver posted:

It's a horrible thing to send so many people to their deaths but the alternative was having them and more die of starvation.

I refuse to believe that an area the size of Germany was anywhere even close to maxed out, supporting a population of a million. I mean, carrying capacity depends a lot on the specifics of climate, soil types, staple crops and agricultural techniques, but a modestly fertile area with a warm continental climate growing wheat should be able to support something between ten and thirty million. And probably towards the upper end, if they're growing the almighty potato. Germany hasn't had less than a million people in it since before people invented ploughs.

Kassad posted:

Eren's burning rage eventually grows so intense he turns into a God Warrior and he wipes out all the titans in an orgy of nuclear fire. But Mikasa dies of radiation poisoning.

Pfft. The Last Ninja™ could never be taken out by anything so inglorious. :colbert: