Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fookolt posted:

We've got the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Platinum Tigershark Hydro Copper SE (3200x1800), Asus Zenbook Infinity (2560x1440), Fujitsu Lifebook UH90/L (3200x1800), Dell XPS 11 (2560x1440), Acer Aspire S7 (2560x1440), and god knows what else.

You're right that these are only a few laptops, but at least they're at the top of the bill now.
And in order: i5/i7, i7, i5, i5 (probably), i3/i5/i7. Hardware manufacturers haven't ever really been shy about releasing stuff that isn't 100% fully supported by Microsoft in the past, so it would seem curious to me for them to hold off for months just to wait for 8.1 (especially since the type of person who is likely to buy any of those machines would likely also be the type to accept the trade-off in the meantime). I think the "late 2013" release frames have more to do with other issues.

I'll be damned excited to see them come out, though, and hopefully some pressure from the top will trickle down into better displays for the mid-grade lineups, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astr00
Mar 1, 2009
The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus This Joke Might Be Getting Old Soon Edition is apparently available for pre-order through
Amazon.co.uk with a release set for July 12. And someone apparently contacted Amazon about the release date, and was told they only show dates confirmed by the supplier or manufacturer. Good news if true. I am waiting for reviews (and price where I live) to decide between the Book 9 Plus and the new Macbook Air.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's not even their stupidest name.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

- I like how the font keeps getting smaller as they get more embarrassed
- Of all the things they rip off from Apple, they can't take a hint about having clear, distinct product lines? Do they have Microsoft naming their products for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvh5k1RWER4

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

fookolt posted:

Ugh, I cannot stand number pads on laptops; they always make typing on them a lovely experience. Everything you posted is basically what laptop makers shouldn't be doing.

This is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards a Lenovo 15". I think some of those omit the useless number pad.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Astr00 posted:

I am waiting for reviews (and price where I live) to decide between the Book 9 Plus and the new Macbook Air.
I'm wondering how well the 9+ will handle graphics at that resolution with an IGP. Are there any benchmarks of any Haswell IGPs at the 9+'s resolution?

Mu Zeta posted:

eh, it doesn't matter, nobody's gonna see or buy that anyway

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
So I think I have decided on going with the 14" blade, it doesn't look like anything comparable will be out (only see 13" books which I think are too small at that point) but I notice when going to order there is a little backorder icon. Do any of you have experience or an idea of what this means in terms of a wait time? They don't have a sales line to call to get clarification but I figured in case you guys know something I'd ask, no harm no foul sort of thing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mewse posted:

- I like how the font keeps getting smaller as they get more embarrassed
- Of all the things they rip off from Apple, they can't take a hint about having clear, distinct product lines? Do they have Microsoft naming their products for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvh5k1RWER4

I think actually that Apple's naming conventions are pretty annoying and bad and when other companies try to follow them, you get crap like that because those other companies have way bigger product lines and can't get away with the less-information-just-buy-it approach to naming. Though it's still better than the Microsoft brand synergy word salad approach.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

SoggyGravy posted:

So I think I have decided on going with the 14" blade, it doesn't look like anything comparable will be out (only see 13" books which I think are too small at that point) but I notice when going to order there is a little backorder icon. Do any of you have experience or an idea of what this means in terms of a wait time? They don't have a sales line to call to get clarification but I figured in case you guys know something I'd ask, no harm no foul sort of thing.

It means they'll ship it when it's your turn. There's no way to know since none of us work for Razer.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm probably not going to hit the button until early-mid August so I guess if something comes out before than that is a better buy I'll check it out. I wish I was so much more patient...

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

SoggyGravy posted:

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm probably not going to hit the button until early-mid August so I guess if something comes out before than that is a better buy I'll check it out. I wish I was so much more patient...

Don't do that to yourself. If you play the "Well, if I wait two more months..." game, you'll never end up buying a laptop and if you do, you won't be happy with it. You can window shop now, but understand that the technology is constantly improving, and you absolutely cannot play a waiting game.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That's only a month away yo (yeah this year's been going quick for me too)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Astr00 posted:

The Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus This Joke Might Be Getting Old Soon Edition is apparently available for pre-order through
Amazon.co.uk with a release set for July 12.

I hope that's just a place holder price :stare:

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Sendo posted:

I hope that's just a place holder price :stare:

Nothing about that laptop compared to others seems to scream at me 1600+ USD

InstantInfidel posted:

Don't do that to yourself. If you play the "Well, if I wait two more months..." game, you'll never end up buying a laptop and if you do, you won't be happy with it. You can window shop now, but understand that the technology is constantly improving, and you absolutely cannot play a waiting game.

I realize that but I can afford to wait until August so I can't think that waiting until then will be a bad thing at least at that point I can say to myself I made the decision out of a need and not just because I saw something I liked and hit "buyitnow". That being said my old laptop was 500gb and the one I would get is 256gb but these days I can't imagine using more than 200gb since I don't download movies only stream and I don't own much music only stream it.

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 8, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoggyGravy posted:

It has a 3200x1800 display. They apparently decided to hide this information with a secret "QHD+" code.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

SoggyGravy posted:

Aren't you the one buying a Razer Blade?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sports posted:

Aren't you the one buying a Razer Blade?

Does that make the Ativ worth more?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Does that make the Ativ worth more?
The point is that with the Blade you are certainly paying a premium for the Razor brand. Admittedly, to get the sort of laptop that the Blade is, you're either going to pay the premium to Razor or to Alienware, so it's not like you have a good alternative. Either way, the point being that the Ativ has a very compelling piece of hardware (crazy high-res screen) that happily justifies its price without having to resort to a "it's the only one of its type" justifications.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

DrDork posted:

The point is that with the Blade you are certainly paying a premium for the Razor brand. Admittedly, to get the sort of laptop that the Blade is, you're either going to pay the premium to Razor or to Alienware, so it's not like you have a good alternative. Either way, the point being that the Ativ has a very compelling piece of hardware (crazy high-res screen) that happily justifies its price without having to resort to a "it's the only one of its type" justifications.

The crazy part about the Razer Blade 14 is how expensive it is for how awful the screen is:

quote:

The Razer Blade 14-inch may be enjoying a 1600x900 resolution that's perfect for the gaming hardware included within, but the panel itself is atrocious. Razer was able to jack up the brightness to a respectable 453 nits, but it's a linear boost: the black level is a heinous 2.24 nits. There's just no excuse for this; Lenovo was able to get a 14", 1600x900 panel in their X1 Carbon that walks all over the Blade's. And Alienware is offering a 1080p IPS panel on their Alienware 14, a notebook that may be thicker but offers the same GPU, an optical drive, and a faster CPU. I was stunned by the Blade's beautiful design, and I was equally stunned by its dire screen quality, which suffers from the same nasty "no correct viewing angle" problem that cheap TN panels typically do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7119/razer-blade-14inch-gaming-notebook-review/5

Total bummer :(

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DrDork posted:

Either way, the point being that the Ativ has a very compelling piece of hardware (crazy high-res screen) that happily justifies its price without having to resort to a "it's the only one of its type" justifications.

It doesn't justify it's price at all, who are these Windows users that are holding out for resolutions of that size and willing to pay that much for it at the expense of far more important specs ?

You can get a 13" Haswell MBA with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD and still come out ahead of the ATIV Plus (assuming that price is correct) by a decent margin, even the top of the line Vaio Pro is below that price and the top configuration Dell XPS 13 when it gets it's Haswell refresh would be as well.

fookolt posted:

The crazy part about the Razer Blade 14 is how expensive it is for how awful the screen is:

They used the screen for it's far lower latency which for a gaming laptop makes a lot of sense.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 8, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Sendo posted:

They used the screen for it's far lower latency which for a gaming laptop makes a lot of sense.

I feel like other gaming laptops use really good displays, don't they?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sendo posted:

You can get a 13" Haswell MBA with an i7, 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD and still come out ahead of the ATIV Plus (assuming that price is correct) by a decent margin, even the top of the line Vaio Pro is below that price and the top configuration Dell XPS 13 when it gets it's Haswell refresh would be as well.

Not sure why you'd compare it to an Air instead of the retina Pro

Sendo posted:

You still need to see what the hell is going on, and if the panel is as bad as stated then that is going to be an issue (my own laptop suffers from the same no correct viewing angle problem)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

dissss posted:

Not sure why you'd compare it to an Air instead of the retina Pro

The rMBP isn't Haswell and the Samsung has the same specs as the base model MBA. When the rMBP does get a refresh it won't be using one of those 15w TPD i5's that the MBA and ATIV Plus are using, it will more than likely use the same 28w i5 with GT3 that the Zenbook Infinity is using.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sendo posted:

The rMBP isn't Haswell and the Samsung has the same specs as the base model MBA. When the rMBP does get a refresh it won't be using one of those 15w TPD i5's that the MBA and ATIV Plus are using, it will more than likely use the same 28w i5 with GT3 that the Zenbook Infinity is using.

As far as I'm concerned the main draw of the rMBP is the 'r' part, not the full power CPU.

Also look at UK Apple prices http://i.imgur.com/az7pN5i.png

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
I've been out of the computer market for a long time and haven't kept up to date with technology. I'm looking for a laptop to take with me if/when i go to visit a friend as I need to run a trading program 24 hours a day when the markets are open (Sunday-Friday) as well as be able to work on my code.

I would like to also be able to play Civ 5/ Dota 2 on it @ hopefully 1600x1200 at least. (1920x1080 is my desktop resolution) I'm a big fan of Asus, can anyone recommend something from them? This would be in Canada.

Ideally I don't want to spend much more then $1k as it wouldn't see much use other then when I'm away from home. Battery life isn't a huge concern as I would have it plugged in when using it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sendo posted:

It doesn't justify it's price at all, who are these Windows users that are holding out for resolutions of that size and willing to pay that much for it at the expense of far more important specs ?

AFAIK, UK prices in pounds typically just switch the £ to a $ when you're talking about laptops. If it was $1300-1500 and using your logic, you'll basically be paying maybe $100-200 to go from an Air to a retina Air.

E: Also I missed the best part of your post. Yes, a dual core i7 is certainly a much more important spec than a ridiculously good screen! Why even get an Air when you could get some Qosimo garbage with a desktop i7 in it?! More specs!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 8, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Razer's Blade might look like a good option, but you should remember that it's a very low volume laptop, and doesn't even begin to shine a light to a MacBook or Lenovo in terms of build quality. After checking processor and dGPU off the list, Razer basically does what amounts to "sifting the bargain bucket" to get any sort of part that won't add overhead to their laptop. Things like ports, keyboard, screen, and soundcard seem to be all chosen to get this thing an acceptable profit margin.

I don't see the appeal of the laptop when there are MacBook alternatives that would blow the thing out of the water in terms of tech support and general laptop experience.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Also, everyone should know that Sony is garbage when it comes to post-purchase interaction. They dole out no support or updates, regardless of whether a Windows update plays nice with the laptop.

They also share an OEM with ASUS, so there's no point in paying a VAIO price on a laptop you can get in an altered form from ASUS.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sports posted:

I don't see the appeal of the laptop when there are MacBook alternatives that would blow the thing out of the water in terms of tech support and general laptop experience.
The appeal is "designed for gaming." You're not one of those people, and neither am I, but the Blade is pretty much made for the 40% of people who come in here looking for PC gaming on the go. Then again, most of those people have about $400 to spend so they'll end up buying a piece-of-poo poo Acer/whatever no matter what advice they get here.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The appeal is "designed for gaming." You're not one of those people, and neither am I, but the Blade is pretty much made for the 40% of people who come in here looking for PC gaming on the go.

There's an option with way better build quality in the current Alienwares, though. The couple I've been around have been extremely well built and able to run stuff without thermally throttling at all.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Weinertron posted:

There's an option with way better build quality in the current Alienwares, though. The couple I've been around have been extremely well built and able to run stuff without thermally throttling at all.

They're also bigger, shinier, flashier, and generally foolproof contraceptives.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InstantInfidel posted:

"Eh, typical goon exaggeration. Let me fire up Google image search, they can't be that bad"

...welp.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

a_m_a_t posted:

I'm curious about this because I'm looking to upgrade my old laptop with something that can play games half-decently and was looking at an IdeaPad Y500 or Y510p because it seemed to fit what I want pretty well.

I read a bunch of reviews and they said the build quality was satisfactory to good, so I'm wondering why this forum seems to hate them.

(I'm upgrading from an garbage MSI CX600 - now that is bad build quality)

I've got a Y500, and while I wouldn't throw it in my bag for my trip through the Himalayas, it's doesn't disintegrate in my hand either. I've got no problem grabbing it by a corner etc etc. The touchpad is atrocious however. And it has a number pad, which is a fairly divisive issue.

InstantInfidel posted:

A friend of mine has an M11x and gets laid all the time, but I suspect that's because he hides his laptop when girls are over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

InstantInfidel posted:

These are the same people who buy gaming chairs, Fatal1ty headsets, huge clicky keyboards, and $150 mice. A massive laptop that looks like an Afflicition t-shirt crossed with a Lite-Brite isn't going to be anything new.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

asmallrabbit posted:

I've been out of the computer market for a long time and haven't kept up to date with technology. I'm looking for a laptop to take with me if/when i go to visit a friend as I need to run a trading program 24 hours a day when the markets are open (Sunday-Friday) as well as be able to work on my code.

I would like to also be able to play Civ 5/ Dota 2 on it @ hopefully 1600x1200 at least. (1920x1080 is my desktop resolution) I'm a big fan of Asus, can anyone recommend something from them? This would be in Canada.

Ideally I don't want to spend much more then $1k as it wouldn't see much use other then when I'm away from home. Battery life isn't a huge concern as I would have it plugged in when using it.

The G750 series is the premier offering from Asus right now. I have an Asus G74Sx (Sandy Bridge i7), and it's been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231089

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I personally like the rainbow theme and don't understand how it won't get you laid :gay:

EDIT:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/04/dell-refreshes-xps-12-xps-27-xps-8700/

Should we be expecting a XPS12 refresh tomorrow?

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Delta-Wye posted:

Should we be expecting a XPS12 refresh tomorrow?

My internal Dell training page for this system has tomorrow's date on it, but that is far from a confirmation. But I do see somebody on the Whirlpool AU forums saying that it is possible to order the system on the phone today, and it should be online tomorrow.

After some issues, finally got my 17% off coupon code. Maybe order it tonight on the phone after I get off work.

Edit: It's on sale on the Dell AU website.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 8, 2013

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Hey folks,

My Sony VAIO laptop died a while ago and I've been meaning to replace it, but only just now have I had any money at all. I liked the VAIO considering it was a bargain basement model, but as noted the support was awful.

Now I want a new laptop, but I've recently started learning programming and want to give Linux a spin. I game now and then, but am quite happy to stick to older stuff, so umph isn't a huge consideration. What I want is something solid and reliable.

Only real problem is I'm in the UK, and ideally I don't want to spend more than £400, £500 maybe. I know that's limiting but I figure that since my demands aren't high an older model may be an option. Any thoughts?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft announced today that it will be shipping RTM of 8.1 to OEMs at the end of August. So, I would expect many of the higher end devices some people have been waiting for to hit around the late September timeframe. That fits since Asus has said Q3 for the Zenbook Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I spent a little time reading about the XPS12 and I'm laughing pretty hard about the hundreds of sites that put out a 'review' of the upcoming XPS 12 refresh June 4th and 5th. Yessir, these are certainly reputable review sites and not lovely pr-reposting blogs that all happened to get the same set of details at the same time. Yessir, I'm sure that 20% increase in battery life is not at all made up by Dell's marketing department and completely unverified by the people repeating it.

If the XPS 12 does drop the next few days, I will probably buy one over a thinkpad just for convenience. Should I expect the XPS 12 to have user replaceable RAM and HDs? I'm a big fan of saving money up front and DIYing those parts later.