Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had my 05 Golf GTI MKV for 3 years now, still a pleasure to drive. I haven't done anything to it except promise myself an APR tune 'one of these days'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Previous owner of a clownshoe Z3 M Coupe, possibly soon to be owner of a Z4 M Coupe. BMW hot hatches are the best hot hatches. I've always been more of a sedan guy, but that fat BMW hatch rear end gets me going.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 3, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd be happy with a non M Z4 coupe, pretty much my almost-but-not-quite attainable dream car :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

omgitstheinternet posted:

Previous owner of a clownshoe Z3 M Coupe, possibly soon to be owner of a Z4 M Coupe. BMW hot hatches are the best hot hatches. I've always been more of a sedan guy, but that fat BMW hatch rear end gets me going.

If the 1 had been available as either a 3-door or a 5-door I would not have gotten the ST.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This thread is perfectly timed, I'm in the market for one of these right now. I did a test drive round up of the big three (GTI, Speed3, Focus ST) and for comparison also checked out the Toyobaru and Genesis Coupe 2.0t since there were in the price range and similarly "sporty" if not nearly as practical.

The GTI had a great interior and more upmarket fit and finish, but felt a little sluggish and has the most conservatively designed exterior. As the former owner of a late-model Audi the upkeep cost on them was also a factor in the back of my mind too. The Focus was shockingly impressive. I came in with an admitted anti-Detroit bias but it really delivered. The powerband was smooth, the interior nicely appointed and it sounded amazing to rev. It's still a little too neutral in the exterior design department for my taste though. Right now I'm leaning towards the Speed3, it was a great balance of power, cost, and sheer smile generation when I pushed it. The style is polarizing, but right now I'm driving a gen1 Scion xB so I'm very accustomed to getting to love a goofy design. My real problem now is biding my time and seeing if the new 3's get a speed variant or try and get a good deal on the current gen.

edit: grammar is your friend

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If Mazda decides to build a next gen. Speed3, it will be at least two years before they hit the lots. So, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.

pindleskin
Apr 16, 2003
They're saying it's vaguely possible we might get a Volkswagen GTD in the US, which is like a GTI but with a diesel engine. This is the most awesome hatch I can conceive of.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-gtd-diesel-photos-and-info-car-news

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What is this diesel obsession?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Test drove a Fiat 500 Abarth, MazdaSpeed 3, and a GTI. The Abarth was too small but really fun. The MazdaSpeed 3 was almost scary, you put your foot down and it surges and shoots right. Along with the dated interior and itty-biddy LCD screen that seems to be 50 feet away from your eyes killed the Mazda for me. Almost 100% set on a GTI. Then, because everyone was raving about the Focus ST, I went and test drove that. I loved the power and how good it felt driving, but it almost offended me with how juvenile I thought it was on the inside. The quality of some of the materials too, man. The back doors don't have soft-touch plastics like the fronts, screaming 'cost cutting' at me. I did not like the visibility or the interior at all. The weird 3 gauges that seemed to be stuck on as an afterthought in the dash, the horrible italicized fonts, I just couldn't look past it. Probably didn't help that the dealership catered to the sort of clientele that I'm not fond of.

The whole shopping experience made me realize I'm way more conservative than I thought I was when it comes to cars. Even the GTI started getting on my nerves with the red stitching and stripes on the exterior.

So I got a Golf R instead :buddy:

A great fit for me, even if people claim it's a tuned-up GTI (It's really a hyper-practical Audi TTS). I got a 6 speed, all-wheel drive that I didn't know I'd really appreciate (do a back to back drive between the GTI and the R and you can feel the difference), glorious turbo whine and an interior (and exterior) that makes me feel like a grown up.

I was coming from a BMW, so the whole Ford thing was going to be hard to swallow anyway.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 8, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

What is this diesel obsession?

It's the greener grass effect.

USians don't get a lot of diesel cars, which makes them special and exotic in the US market.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KakerMix posted:

Then, because everyone was raving about the Focus ST, I went and test drove that. I loved the power and how good it felt driving, but it almost offended me with how juvenile I thought it was on the inside. The quality of some of the materials too, man. The back doors don't have soft-touch plastics like the fronts, screaming 'cost cutting' at me. I did not like the visibility or the interior at all. The weird 3 gauges that seemed to be stuck on as an afterthought in the dash, the horrible italicized fonts, I just couldn't look past it. Probably didn't help that the dealership catered to the sort of clientele that I'm not fond of.

I was coming from a BMW, so the whole Ford thing was going to be hard to swallow anyway.

It sounds like you drove an ST1 or ST2 - the full leather, non-color trimmed seats of the ST3 wouldn't have been interpreted as juvenile by any stretch of the imagination.

Which is actually the exact issue Car and Driver had when they recently compared the 2013 ST in the ST2 trim to the 2015 GTI - "too juvenile" might have been the exact phrase they used.

Either way, the Golf R is a heckuva car! Any plans to buy a tune for it? I bought one for my ST and it has transformed the car pretty significantly.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 8, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bobfather posted:

It sounds like you drove an ST1 or ST2 - the full leather, non-color trimmed seats of the ST3 wouldn't have been interpreted as juvenile by any stretch of the imagination.

Which is actually the exact issue Car and Driver had when they recently compared the 2013 ST in the ST2 trim to the 2015 GTI - "too juvenile" might have been the exact phrase they used.

Either way, the Golf R is a heckuva car! Any plans to buy a tune for it? I bought one for my ST and it has transformed the car pretty significantly.

What kind of tune did you pick up for your ST? I'm seriously considering picking one up and I'd like to see what options are out there.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What kind of tune did you pick up for your ST? I'm seriously considering picking one up and I'd like to see what options are out there.

The standard tuning devices out there are from SCT and Cobb.

The SCT devices are so-so. The SCT X3 is big, cheap feeling, but also the cheapest device of the bunch (~$379 or so).

The SCT LiveWire TS is a full-fledged touch-screen device and is about the size of a GPS unit. It looks nice and the display is quite good. It also supports plugging in a backup camera. One con against it is that the touch-screen sensitivity is absolutely awful. It also is the most expensive tuning device at $599. I have one of these because I wanted the backup camera capability, but I paid $400 for a second-hand device. I really like it, but I would never pay $599 for it.

Regarding the SCT devices, if you buy them straight from SCT the off-the-shelf tunes they come with are pretty lame and unspectacular. SCT does not (yet) support the Focus ST like it supports other Ford vehicles, meaning you can't program in specific strategies for your ST dependent upon the equipment you have on your ST. I emailed SCT about this and they said they have no idea if the Focus ST will ever have that level of support.

On the other hand, Cobb has their AccessPort (AP) tuner which is leaps and bounds better than SCT devices in terms of hardware, support, and price. The AP hardware is smaller and sleeker than the SCT hardware, and Cobb has been supporting the Focus ST very well and actually just released version 4 of their off-the-shelf tune for the Focus ST. Price for the AP is typically $450 with your odd sale bringing the price down 10% or so.

Now, you could easily buy either an SCT device direct from SCT or a Cobb device straight from Cobb, but the better thing to do would be to pick the device you want and then buy the device from one of the many custom tuners out there.

For the Focus ST right now the hot custom tuners are Unleashed Tuning and FSWerks. Unleashed has a stable, nice tune they provide for the SCT X3 and the SCT LiveWire. I have Unleashed, and it works very very well! Very noticeable improvement in power and responsiveness. I believe that the dyno results for the tune show +23 HP and +~50 torque over the stock tune on 93 octane.

FSWerks offers their custom tune on both the SCT devices and the Cobb AP. A lot of people choose FSWerks for this reason, because the Cobb harware (and support) is really superior compared to SCT. I don't know as much about the FSWerks tune, but I know it also yields 20+ HP and 50+ torque increases.

Honestly, I would say choose the hardware you want, then buy your tune based on that. If you prefer SCT the Unleashed tune might be better for you, and the guy who does that tune (Torrie) is awesome in terms of tech support. Otherwise, if you Prefer Cobb go with FSWerks.

The nice thing is that if you buy your device from Unleashed or FSWerks, the price is the same as if you would have bought directly from SCT or Cobb themselves, but you get the custom tune support in addition to the off-the-shelf tunes from SCT or Cobb.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy crap that was informative. Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pindleskin posted:

They're saying it's vaguely possible we might get a Volkswagen GTD in the US, which is like a GTI but with a diesel engine. This is the most awesome hatch I can conceive of.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-gtd-diesel-photos-and-info-car-news

I like and hate the GTD. As a Fast TDI I think it's great. But you're basically saying "Let me take a GTI, which is slow, and make it slower, and also heavier. Then I will give it good gas mileage." I don't know, I don't really think it's that awesome, especially considering you can figure on a price premium. Make a Sportwagen GTD and then we're talking.

Bobfather, nice post on the tunes. I may check something out.

I liked the Golf R but didn't feel it was better enough at anything than the GTI to make it worth the extra money. I miss some premium touches in the BMW (bottom-hinged accelerator, better sunroof controls, better dead pedal) as compared to the ST, but frankly Ford can keep the six bucks that it would cost to make the back doors soft touch. I went for the ST3 in part due to the interior improvements and "mature" appearance.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The diesel hot hatch / "sporty car" makes more sense if you think of it from the point of view of somebody cross shopping diesel cars, as opposed to people cross shopping petrol hot hatches.

Also in the UK some companies have a diesel only rule for company cars. From a TCO / fleet management point of view it makes sense, on the other hand it's also a bit stupid, but that's another discussion altogether.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bobfather posted:

Nah, it was the full-on ST3 package. The problem I had wasn't with the seats, it was the layout of the dash, the placement of the gauges, the general feel of the inside of the car. This was the same day as the test drives of the GTI and R, so the differences were pretty stark to me.
As for mods for my R, I'll probably do the LED rear light swap. I'm mildly interested in the 'stage 1' tune from APR for the R, but my dealership is not friendly to the tune (I asked them directly and they follow VW's lead) for warranty purposes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I liked the Golf R but didn't feel it was better enough at anything than the GTI to make it worth the extra money. I miss some premium touches in the BMW (bottom-hinged accelerator, better sunroof controls, better dead pedal) as compared to the ST, but frankly Ford can keep the six bucks that it would cost to make the back doors soft touch. I went for the ST3 in part due to the interior improvements and "mature" appearance.
Yeah, and those features were worth it to me. The Focus ST is probably the best hot-hatch out in NA right now when taking price into consideration, I simply couldn't look past the bits that annoyed me. Nothing but love for my Focus ST hot-hatch bros!

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

stump posted:

The diesel hot hatch / "sporty car" makes more sense if you think of it from the point of view of somebody cross shopping diesel cars, as opposed to people cross shopping petrol hot hatches.

This is it. Dumbing things down to 0-60 performance, the Golf 6 GTD (8.1) sits exactly between the GTI (6.9) and 103TDI (9.3). For the Golf 7, these times seem to have shifted down by ~0.5 seconds across the board. I'm glad it exists but it's compromised compared to the GTI. I'd say I see about 5-10 GTI for each GTD in Tasmania.

sadnessboner fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 8, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Nah, it was the full-on ST3 package. The problem I had wasn't with the seats, it was the layout of the dash, the placement of the gauges, the general feel of the inside of the car. This was the same day as the test drives of the GTI and R, so the differences were pretty stark to me.
As for mods for my R, I'll probably do the LED rear light swap. I'm mildly interested in the 'stage 1' tune from APR for the R, but my dealership is not friendly to the tune (I asked them directly and they follow VW's lead) for warranty purposes.

Yeah, and those features were worth it to me. The Focus ST is probably the best hot-hatch out in NA right now when taking price into consideration, I simply couldn't look past the bits that annoyed me. Nothing but love for my Focus ST hot-hatch bros!

Word, the Golf R is a Golf that does all the Golf things better. It just didn't fix anything I didn't like about the Golf. Even with really good pricing, I couldn't get past the whole "you want WHAT for that, again?"

But I am weird and wanted five doors, so that is part of what pushes the R in to Silly Money territory.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I don't own it yet, simply because it won't be here until December at the earliest, but I do own a large deposit on a Mercedes A45. My specs look like this, but with a massive sunroof:

I ordered it for my mother to replace her Mark V Golf GTI but I kinda sorta want to keep it for myself after seeing the first reviews...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've never owned a car with a trunk!(sorta)
I owned an 83 Audi Coupe GT for a while but that's not really a trunk.
After that a 92 Golf, then a 2007 Accent, and currently a 2007 GTI.
Next car will most likely be a Fiat, but the plan is to drive the GTI into the ground first.
The body has about 92,000 miles and the engine has only about 10,000 miles.
VW replaced my engine after a catastrophic failure they determend it had left the factory with.

At the dealer in the middle of surgery.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Finch! posted:

I don't own it yet, simply because it won't be here until December at the earliest, but I do own a large deposit on a Mercedes A45. My specs look like this, but with a massive sunroof:

I ordered it for my mother to replace her Mark V Golf GTI but I kinda sorta want to keep it for myself after seeing the first reviews...

You look at the price tag and specs on this and say "Yes, this seems like a breakthrough car".

Then you look at the interior. What the fuuuuuck why is Mercedes the only manufacturer doing thisssssss

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

You look at the price tag and specs on this and say "Yes, this seems like a breakthrough car".

Then you look at the interior. What the fuuuuuck why is Mercedes the only manufacturer doing thisssssss

Seriously. The CLA45 AMG is the same price as an optioned up lancer evo.

A 355hp AWD mercedes the same price as a 291hp plastic fantastic mitsubishi. Somebody is doing something wrong. It's a shame the A45 isn't coming over to north america considering it's so similar to the CLA.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

A 355hp AWD mercedes the same price as a 291hp plastic fantastic mitsubishi. Somebody is doing something wrong. It's a shame the A45 isn't coming over to north america considering it's so similar to the CLA.

Any amount of competition is good, I mean Subaru doesn't want to make a hatch model of their new WRX concept but I'm sure they'll cave at some point if the market is there.

(which is crazy, Subaru saying no to a hatchback is like Honda saying no to a boring car :vd: )

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

It's a relative bargain here. It's not much/any more expensive than a well optioned Golf R, Audi S3, or M135i but comes with just about everything standard and is much more powerful. We have the option of black wheels, an aerodynamics package, and a track suspension package. That's it. Given the state of Australian roads, the aero package will hit everything and fall apart and the suspension will be intolerable on anything but a perfect racetrack.

The interior makes no sense whatsoever. None. WHY is there a giant ugly telephone keypad when there's voice control? Why is the screen not touch? Why are there so many buttons? The interior of my five year old VW R36 is miles ahead in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics. Honestly, the interior (well, mostly the interface between driver and gadgets) is the worst aspect of the A45. I can handle the faux carbon fibre (but I'd much prefer something else, like dark alcantara) and gaudy red trim but I just can't understand why it has a 0-9 keypad and no touch screen but does have voice control that actually works.

Mercedes :argh:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Personally I loving hate touch screens and would much prefer tactile buttons that I can press by muscle memory. Have context-sensitive functions, fine, but don't make me have to stare at the screen to see the thing I'm pressing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fucknag posted:

Personally I loving hate touch screens and would much prefer tactile buttons that I can press by muscle memory. Have context-sensitive functions, fine, but don't make me have to stare at the screen to see the thing I'm pressing.

From that picture Finch! posted there is no muscle memory involved in that, since you are going to have to look at what the hell you are touching. If the voice thing isn't terrible then maybe that would work. Personally I like a mix of options. Some general purpose buttons (like a physical back button) along with a nice responsive touch screen and a few wheel buttons is the right mix.

I was bitching about the Focus ST before but the inside of that A45 :barf:

Badmana
Jul 28, 2004
WARNING: FROM SCARBOROUGH.

DO NOT TOUCH.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the greener grass effect.

USians don't get a lot of diesel cars, which makes them special and exotic in the US market.

Because they're so rare I think we don't see the downside to owning them (is there a down side?). I'd get one in an heartbeat if they were more common.

Looks like my hot hatch days are numbered. Ordered a 2013 Venza (fully loaded awd v6) and getting rid of my 2003 matrix xrs. The venza would be more fun if the drat thing didn't weigh 5000 lbs.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

That being said, its no way to judge the other model ST's that get an awesome touch screen set up that is very sexy. The audio quality itself is very nice, as with the rest of the interior. It, like complaint about the fold down seats, is small potatoes compared to how good the car is.

The nav-equipped version is also annoyingly slow. Other car's computer is much faster and they are the same model year. Very strange.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Badmana posted:

(is there a down side?).

I'm a diesel fanboy but,
Power delivery - Good but not "sporty", there will inevitably be a quicker petrol model available
Noise - Agricultural
Reliability - A few possible big ticket items like injectors, around the 100k miles and onwards.
Cost - Unless you do a lot of miles the equivalent petrol may be cheaper overall (resale night be better though)
Fuel availability in the US maybe?

vvv That too.

stump fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Badmana posted:

Because they're so rare I think we don't see the downside to owning them (is there a down side?). I'd get one in an heartbeat if they were more common.

Its the extra weight and power delivery that I don't like.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I detest the power delivery. Stick a dual-clutch auto behind a diesel engine, though, and it's pretty nice.

Edit: I also (in addition to a low annual mileage) do a lot of short journeys, and would cause death by EGR system in very short order).

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Powershift posted:

Wait what:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130617/carreviews/130619854

Price: $48,375

That's a 10k+ gap, which is sizable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Wait what:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130617/carreviews/130619854

Price: $48,375

That's a 10k+ gap, which is sizable.

A 10k gap if you buy the evo with cloth seats and a spartan interior. An evo MR with the touring package and navigation is $46,675

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Powershift posted:

A 10k gap if you buy the evo with cloth seats and a spartan interior. An evo MR with the touring package and navigation is $46,675

If you're paying anywhere near that MSRP at a Mitsu dealer I have some waterfront property to show you. Also you're going to have a hard time getting a Mercedes dealer to hit 48k.

But whatever I'm not buying either of the cars ever.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 9, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bobfather posted:

tune stuff

questions:

1- are there deadspots in the throttles? on focusst.org i was reading that some people found dead spots in the top and bottom of the throttle because of their tunes.
2- can you run them on 87/89 octane? I can always just start buying 93
3- Are there any like daily driving/ highway tunes for mileage? if so, do they work at all?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Bob A Feet posted:

questions:

1- are there deadspots in the throttles? on focusst.org i was reading that some people found dead spots in the top and bottom of the throttle because of their tunes.
3- Are there any like daily driving/ highway tunes for mileage? if so, do they work at all?

You should already be using 91/93 (whatever it is that is available).
The difference in price is close to negated with the increase in power and gas mileage.
To get better economy, lay off the go pedal.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bob A Feet posted:

questions:

No noticeable dead spots in the throttle. I have not read anything like that online. Here's a link to the dyno chart for the Unleashed tune:

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/images/fst1.jpg

You can see from the graph that stock, the FST tops out at about 5500 RPM and HP starts to really drop off past 6000 RPM. The updated tunes (both Unleashed and FSWerks) really try to extend that power, but the fact is that the turbo for the FST is optimized to spool quickly, and not necessarily to pull hard all the way to redline.

It is not advisable to run a 93 octane tune on 87 octane fuel. However, Cobb has some off-the-shelf maps for 87 octane fuel, and as well both FSWerks and Unleashed will build you a custom 87 octane tune if you ask them to. You would just send an email to Torrie (Unleashed) or Randy (FSWerks).

Cobb has a tune for fuel economy, however people have reported that it doesn't work very well. YMMV, but a lot of people (including myself) have gotten the best mileage by running 93 octane on a 93 custom tune and then driving conservatively. The problem is that the custom tunes give the car so much more pep it'll be hard to stay off the throttle!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I tried out the economy tune when I had an AccessPort on my WRX, and it did nothing.

Eventually I'll do an APR tune on my GTI but I have 50 months/44k miles left on my powertrain warranty and VW/Audi are doing checksums now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

mafoose posted:

You should already be using 91/93 (whatever it is that is available).
The difference in price is close to negated with the increase in power and gas mileage.
To get better economy, lay off the go pedal.

I actually had no noticeable difference in power or mileage between the two gases and that's with staying off the pedal too. Either way, the car's manual says it can take 87 and 91/93. Thanks though.

I'll get the FSWerks one here soon. I had already been eyeballing it and its the crowd favorite as well. I just don't ever do anything with the car other than accelerate stupidly fast away from stop lights so its hard to justify more power which means more gas and more tires in the future.