Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I remember seeing James Urbaniak in an episode of CSI: Mi-Hammy when he was being interrogated by the Carusobot. His delivery was pure Rusty Venture. I expected that at any moment he was going to turn on his watch and say "Brock, could you get in here and just kill this red-headed doofus so I can get back to scoring with beach hotties?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pretty sure this dude at Slate is a superfan because I think he's written like three articles on the show this season.

45 minute podcast with Jackson and Doc: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/08/venture_bros_creators_doc_hammer_and_jackson_publick_interview_with_exclusive.html

Also a bunch of videos of episode 7 so.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

P spoilery if you couldn't guess.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

epitasis posted:

Pretty sure this dude at Slate is a superfan because I think he's written like three articles on the show this season.

Spoilers based on that article/the episode 7 preview: So the funeral is for Boggles the Clue Clown, who was the only Guild Leader that Monstroso was able to identify through silhouette (And his penchant for horn honking.) I'm guessing this is the work of the OSI rather than happy coincidence. Should they really be loving with GCI leadership with The Investors lurking in the wings?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

epitasis posted:

45 minute podcast with Jackson and Doc: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/08/venture_bros_creators_doc_hammer_and_jackson_publick_interview_with_exclusive.html

Haha, love the part of the podcast where they say "Jeez, you say the show's about failure in one interview and then it's mentioned in every story."

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
What's this about potential David Bowie lawsuits? The reason they changed The Sovereign?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They just say they really would like to be sued by David Bowie so they could see him in court.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Shindragon posted:

Honestly for me, Dermott is that one guy in the group everyone has. The one guy who bullshits about everything he does but he likes to kick it.

Exactly. The interactions between him and Hank when they're just BSing outside Ben's house during the Halloween ep were perfect and a reminder of why every crew puts up with its Dermot; he can be annoying and ridiculous 90% of the time, but the other 10% is pure gold.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

epitasis posted:

There's a fantastic bit where the end of this where they start arguing about cartoon nudity and their voices just slip halfway into Pete White and Billy as they get more heated.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

One of the best parts of this episode was Hank flipping the table when the riot starts.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hank has the best alternate identities. Private Dick Hank, Enrique Matassa, Batman. Dean really needs to step up his game if he ever wants to get laid.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I love how Rusty opens up to Hank and it's more than Hank can stomach. Also, I like the irony of Dean trying to look for a motherly figure even though he's got one in Vatred.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingexecutive posted:

One of the best parts of this episode was Hank flipping the table when the riot starts.

I would have made a gif of that if I knew how. It was perfect. :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm surprised the Apache Chief guy didn't say Innuchuck! when he picked up the water fountain.

I'm so insanely happy that the Myra: Hank and Deans mom? has been laid to rest. I always hated the idea that she was their mom. I always picture that the boys mom was a woman who legitimaty had a good relationship with Doc and probably made him a better person, but died not long after the boys were born in some accident, and that broke Doc even worse than before. Why he got the idea to make the clone bank of the boys, so he could never lose them he lost their mother.

And Nutty Buddy is an actual term! I have only ever heard it once before used, but if Doc used it, then more than one person uses it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

twistedmentat posted:

And Nutty Buddy is an actual term! I have only ever heard it once before used, but if Doc used it, then more than one person uses it.

Uhhhhhhhh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutty_Buddy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RandomPauI posted:

Hank has the best alternate identities. Private Dick Hank, Enrique Matassa, Batman. Dean really needs to step up his game if he ever wants to get laid.

Hey, if it hadn't been for the Monarch's surprise attack/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's surprise antidote, Dean was poised to be waist-deep in 4 armed ladies as the Lee-Hun-Took.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

We, in Canada, call those Drumsticks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah I've heard both terms.

I guess now that I think of it, I haven't heard anyone actually call them Nutty Buddies in a while.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

fspades posted:

I would have made a gif of that if I knew how. It was perfect. :allears:

Mother helped build the wall! Tear down the wall!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I love how Rusty opens up to Hank and it's more than Hank can stomach. Also, I like the irony of Dean trying to look for a motherly figure even though he's got one in Vatred.
One day, something terrible will happen to Hatred and Dean will be completely devastated. That's just something I can see happening.

JethroMcB posted:

Hey, if it hadn't been for the Monarch's surprise attack/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's surprise antidote, Dean was poised to be waist-deep in 4 armed ladies as the Lee-Hun-Took.
Ladies? I still believe Thalia was the only girl in Development Class, or even amongst the interns. And who's to say that he didn't get laid right after that kiss?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Rewatching Venture Libre since my URGH shirt came today and after last night's episode a line from doc in the earlier episode surprised me. As they're about to leave without Dean, Doc instructs him that if "Ted" calls to take a message.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Mother helped build the wall! Tear down the wall!

Hank's right arm looks to be considerably stronger than his left.

I suppose he's not grabbing the table right in the middle.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Don't know if anyone called this out yet but, in episode 2 of this season (the Venturestein one), when they're about to leave and Dean stays behind, Dr. Venture tells Dean that if Ted calls, Dean should take a message.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Literally two posts above yours.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

axleblaze posted:

Literally two posts above yours.

Curses

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Back in season 4, in Every Which Way But Zeus, when Hank/Dean/Hatred fake-kidnapped Rusty, he was talking to the Teddy Ruxpin doll. So it started way back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

Yeah I've heard both terms.

I guess now that I think of it, I haven't heard anyone actually call them Nutty Buddies in a while.

They were both brand names.

And the company that made Nutty Buddies went out of business in the 90s, so they sort of disappeared.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Also I am generally sure that during the ending to Zeus, you can see St.Cloud in the throng of expectant villains/heros.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pope Guilty posted:

I feel like Season 3 has an actual plot to it in ways that the other seasons don't, which is interesting- there's very much a sequence of events, whereas the other seasons are all standalones or advancing themes and feelings for the most part, like Season 4 showing the boys growing up.

Yeah, it seems like the show was written differently almost, not in a bad way per-se. Sort of like when you went from a 2D Mario game to a 3D game. It's like they had two knobs, they turned the humor down a little but the storyline up a bit. But it wasn't a catastrophic change.

I don't want to sound like a puritan or anything, but I have to admit, at least on the DVD version, I was surprised by the amount of nudity. (Can you actually get away with non-sexual nudity with TV-MA now, or was it just uncensored on the DVDs for whatever reason?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Starting at season 3 they released the DVDs uncensored.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They even say on the commentary that the detail of the nudity is a bit weird so you're definitely not the only one thinking that. I know I don't need to see Jonas' dong in Rusty's face again. :barf:

I think they said somewhere that they were surprised they got to show Hatred's manboobs uncensored so I'm guessing that TV-MA doesn't let them show non-sexual nudity.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the reason season 3 is so plot heavy is because they ran into plot problems after season 2. If you listen to the season 2 commentary (which they recorded before they had even started on 3) they mention how they had no idea where they were going to take the plot. They knew they had a few plot threads they needed to resolve but outside of that they had nothing. I think season 3 was basically them preventing that from happening again. In season 3 they set up so much so that they wouldn't run out of things to explore for a long time to come.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the nudity, it's more up to the network than it is anyone else. Cable and satellite isn't regulated by the government and technically they can show whatever they want. The thing is most advertisers don't want to be associated with stuff like that because they want to reach as wide of an audience as possible and having mature content limits to who they can pretend they're advertising towards. As money is the lifeblood of most networks so what they say goes.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think that the show varies so wildly from season-long plots to self-contained episodes to being driven by themes is one of the best things about it. It sort of gives them the opportunity to do whatever they want and not be obstructed by some idea of what the show is supposed to be.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This was the best episode so far this season. I wish I hadn't forgot to order an OSI tshirt while they were still for sale, hopefully there will be another semi-normal looking one this season, not many chances left though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

X_Toad posted:

Ladies? I still believe Thalia was the only girl in Development Class, or even amongst the interns. And who's to say that he didn't get laid right after that kiss?
They were going to mutate the entire world with the shield, it's a reasonable assumption that there could be more in the future.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

epitasis posted:

Wow, Captain Sunshine has his Jason Todd.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Upon closer inspection of the Episode 7 teaser trailer, it looks like Brick Frog is at the Guild rave

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

http://i.imgur.com/zYrBrib.jpg

Crime-O-Dile :allears:

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Just so everyone knows, spoiler tagging images will not hide them if people are using the iOS Awful app so there may be some not too happy people showing up.