Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I did not like that season very much.
I think that's the general reaction considering Jimmy made fun of complaining fans this episode. I mean, to be fair, he'll make fun of complaining fans at the drop of the hat, but it was season-specific this time around.

Or maybe booking Keith Stubbs wasn't the best idea.

(I can't remember a single thing about the Keith Stubbs episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
This is a show I listen to every episode of regardless of the guest. There definitely were a few down episodes this season but I thought it was fine overall. The gambling thing did get a bit old and the phone calls were up and down, but I get the impression from the last few episodes that they aren't bringing back the gambling bit next season. I hope I'm right.

Edit:

caligulamprey posted:

Or maybe booking Keith Stubbs wasn't the best idea.
(I can't remember a single thing about the Keith Stubbs episode)
I honestly just had to look that up to see if Keith Stubbs was the name of a guest from this season. I guess he didn't leave much of an impression. Don't remember who that is at all.

tnimark fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 9, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I think in general this past season just needed more regularly appearing familiar guests. There seemed to be periodic runs of 3-4 weeks or so each with first timers. Which most of them were pretty great (excepting Bob Zany) but the show is best when it remains grounded I think

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think it's a combo of listener calls, which I have always hated going back to listening to my local morning radio show in high school, and gambling cutting into the inane banter, which is what I subscribe for.

E: /\/\/\ That too. /\/\/\

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I'm finally catching up on this season. I could listen to Chris Fairbanks do apology scat for hours.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I listen for Jimmy and Matt. The guest is just extra. Bob Zany was loving horrible, but I still enjoyed the episode. The only episode that was truly "bad" for me was Mark Vollman.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Ellis Paul was pretty bad too.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
That was like 2 years ago?

Yea if you watch this for the guests then I could see why this season would be a disappointment. All I listen for is Jimmy being Jimmy, Matt's occasional great joke and Elliot being poo poo on.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Apparently Andy Richter is busy for the next couple days so Jimmy is subbing as the sidekick on Conan! That's awesome; should lead to some excellent podding-cast stories

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Riptor posted:

Apparently Andy Richter is busy for the next couple days so Jimmy is subbing as the sidekick on Conan! That's awesome; should lead to some excellent podding-cast stories

Does that start tonight?

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does that start tonight?

Tonight and tomorrow, according to his Facebook page.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
If you folks who stick with it could report to the thread whether the gambling/call-ins continue, that would be great. Them gambling for the whole pot made it seem like it might be done, but the way Jimmy was talking about the folks who didn't like it left it kind of in the air.

Did a lot of people hate stupid question of the week? It seemed like that got much more diverse conversations started than "Guess A Number" could, and they would just skip it if they had a good guest.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Jimmy got a lot more air time than I thought he would, and he killed it. There was actually a guy in the crowd with a Pardo sign too.

Conan also have NNF a plug right at the top of the show.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggy posted:

If you folks who stick with it could report to the thread whether the gambling/call-ins continue, that would be great. Them gambling for the whole pot made it seem like it might be done, but the way Jimmy was talking about the folks who didn't like it left it kind of in the air.

There were no call-ins, but they did some betting. It wasn't betting on random numbers, it was on a subject that came up naturally. When Jimmy declared they were betting, Matt said something like 'ugh, we're betting? I though we were dropping this'. It doesn't really take up much of the episode. They talk about making a bet, then the conversation veers off onto other things for a long time before they get back to it.

It was a really great episode. Jen Kirkman was super funny.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I'm mildly to severely in love with Jen Kirkman

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Jen was great, and if they didn't bet Matt would have never delivered the "Sister likes to dance" line, which was perfect.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Robert is the best character PFT has ever done.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I dunno, 'Guy auditioning for the Tide commercial' was pretty great too. Tough call.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Paul F. slipping into full Superego mode and adding random Y's to words is my new favorite thing.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o47XV2hA3A

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Beautiful.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I'm catching up on season 12. Honestly, it's solid so far, with a few duds - but virtually every season has a couple of less than stellar episodes.

I also don't get the Bob Zany hate, I liked him as a guest.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Oof. If you enjoyed Zany, I'd think you would enjoy the rest of the season.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

Ben Schwartz, holy poo poo! This should be a good one.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

redz posted:

Ben Schwartz, holy poo poo! This should be a good one.
It's really good this week. He manages to fit in with the tone and pace immediately. I hope he becomes a once-a-season.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

It's really good this week. He manages to fit in with the tone and pace immediately. I hope he becomes a once-a-season.

He was my favorite part of Parks & Rec, for sure.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Boco_T posted:

Totally, it made me glad NNF went audio and video for one fee. I think Schwartz's enthusiasm really shows when you can see him.

He's a real tastemaker for podcasts. A complete game changer for NNF.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2013

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Also, I'm surprised no one is talking about Pardo's announcement of a new stand-up album dropping this coming Tues!

I hope it's great..

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think the last time I heard Pardo's standup was a loooong time ago. Like, before NNF was a thing. Probably before podcasts were a thing. He had a special on Comedy Central that I saw a couple times.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pompous Clown is a fantastic album

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Just started listening to NFN and I love it. Good mix of awkward hostility between the guests and Pardo and a motivation from everyone to find the funny and not take it personally.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jimmy going to a break to "clean their palates" of the conversation about Iran and the Ayatollah, and then coming back with "We're taking on the Muslims!" made me laugh like a loving donkey.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Man I thought Al Jackson was a great first timer

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Goddamn Jimmy is looking rough in this episode. I hope he's okay in time for the Pardcast-a-thon tomorrow. :ohdear: How far ahead of time do they record these?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Goddamn Jimmy is looking rough in this episode. I hope he's okay in time for the Pardcast-a-thon tomorrow. :ohdear: How far ahead of time do they record these?

They used to record a few at a time, but not anymore. As of this season they record them a couple of days before release. Pardcast-a-thon could be a tough night for him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I couldn't even get through the Jon Hamm episode his voice was so rough, so I'm hoping that's not so bad today.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
How far in did you get? It was still a funny episode, even with the voice.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anybody else going to be watching all day, or at least trying to? I've got nothing better to do and I don't have the money to buy it after the fact, so I'm gonna go as long as I can.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Yeah, I'll probably watch a bunch since I'm not working today and I actually remembered it was happening this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just like last year, I took the day off from work just to hang for the entire thing.

I wonder who the superfluous Pee-Break musical guest will be. :allears: