Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm amazed at how little it takes to total a car these days. A couple of weeks ago my buddy banged up his SRT-4. Worn tires + rain + whatever unholy amount of power that thing is making now = making love to a guardrail. No mechanical damage whatsoever. Just a banged up front fender and a nice deep scrape across the doors and back fender. Even though those cars seem to hold their value well its very much totaled. I've been trying to convince him to buy it back and swap the engine into a K-car.

All I can picture when anyone mentions an SRT4 motor is that glorious video of the red dodge caravan with an unholy amount of turbo noise doing a massive, lurid, smoky, rolling burnout up an entire block.

e: this one, in case anyone's been under a rock and hasn't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

The rings spin around when the engine is running. Gap placement is a bullshit old wives tale

Hmm. I guess that makes me the horrible mechanic failure; I got chumped by whoever told me that I suppose. To be fair, it is also printed as gospel in an engine building textbook I have. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm amazed at how little it takes to total a car these days. A couple of weeks ago my buddy banged up his SRT-4. Worn tires + rain + whatever unholy amount of power that thing is making now = making love to a guardrail. No mechanical damage whatsoever. Just a banged up front fender and a nice deep scrape across the doors and back fender. Even though those cars seem to hold their value well its very much totaled. I've been trying to convince him to buy it back and swap the engine into a K-car.
SRT's aren't worth much to be honest. My 2003 KBB's in at $4k and a lot of the body parts aren't shared with regular Neons which jacks up the repair costs quite a bit. Even the stupid poo poo like the fog lamp bezels and the plastic hood scoop insert run hundreds of dollars. 10 years later I'm loving terrified of even a minor incident that causes body damage is going to cause her to be written off.

But yes, that drivetrain needs to go in a K-car like now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geirskogul posted:

The rings spin around when the engine is running. Gap placement is a bullshit old wives tale

I am most familiar with two-stroke engines, so I have to ask....are there no ring pins in the pistons (on automotive 4-strokes) that just about lock the ring into one angular position?
I suppose there is no need without lots of ports to contend with, as in 2-strokes.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am most familiar with two-stroke engines, so I have to ask....are there no ring pins in the pistons (on automotive 4-strokes) that just about lock the ring into one angular position?
I suppose there is no need without lots of ports to contend with, as in 2-strokes.

Automotive piston rings are just gapped and then compressed when the piston is put into the block.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Correct. I've been into a single engine enough times after only a few minutes of running to know the rings move about fairly quickly. It's such an old and ingrained rule that it sticks around.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It's important to assemble an engine with the rings positioned a certain way so it builds up compression and starts for the first time. Then as it breaks in things can move around.
And yes, the ring locking pin is stupidly important on 2-strokes. One of the ring lock pins on my moped somehow worked its way loose and the split in the ring caught on a port. It did a ridiculously amazing amount of damage to everything involved. Also made quite some good noises. I can't find a picture of that, although i do have a picture from when I kept pressing on with a blown head gasket. Finally it lost too much compression to keep moving, this is the end result.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maker Of Shoes posted:

SRT's aren't worth much to be honest. My 2003 KBB's in at $4k and a lot of the body parts aren't shared with regular Neons which jacks up the repair costs quite a bit. Even the stupid poo poo like the fog lamp bezels and the plastic hood scoop insert run hundreds of dollars. 10 years later I'm loving terrified of even a minor incident that causes body damage is going to cause her to be written off.

But yes, that drivetrain needs to go in a K-car like now.

My childhood dream gets more and more attainable every day. :allears:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Throatwarbler posted:

Unfortunately at this point your childhood dream will be third or fourth-hand, with the most recent owner being a 16 year old who flogged the piss out of it for its last 15,000 miles before wearing out the clutch, third gear synchro and popping the headgasket.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just rolled over 140k with only real failure being a half dead fuel pump at 80k. Did the clutch and timing belt at 90k something. Been a pretty reliable car. BUT if there's one thing that poo poo hole of a site SRTForums taught me since day one was that the shift forks are softer than Taco Bell shits. Don't man handle gear changes and that little NVT-850 will last a good while.

Geoj is right though. At this point buying a second hand SRT-4 is probably just as bad a buying something like a turbo DSM these days.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Ugh, thanks for making me feel old, jerk :mad:

e- my boyhood "attainable" dream car? A Syclone. For perspective.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 9, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

chrisgt posted:

It's important to assemble an engine with the rings positioned a certain way so it builds up compression and starts for the first time. Then as it breaks in things can move around.

Correct. Rings do move on their own, but during initial break-in, the ring gaps are usually positioned like in the diagram to avoid all the gaps lining up. For anyone who cares, here's a chart:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

HOLY HELL MY TABLES

We lost power at the shop today for the 2nd time in as many weeks due to an accident in this intersection.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm convinced there is nothing as bad as a second hand DSM.

Edit: Holy poo poo my tables.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I can't seem to find any worthwhile SRT-4s for less than $8k. And by worthwhile I mean intact and running without horrible abuse. There are some shitheaps to be had on the cheap if you want pain and suffering.

My friend just rebuilt the bottom end a few months ago and did the head not long before that. Relatively new gearbox too. If he doesn't buy it back from the insurance company I'm drat tempted to find a way to get that drat motor. I will have my Reliant K sleeper one day.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

DrPain posted:

We lost power at the shop today for the 2nd time in as many weeks due to an accident in this intersection.

The American-size soda cup on the ground in front of it really sells it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

We don't get that anymore in our part of the world. The government eliminated "repairable write-off" so now a car must be one or the other. Insurance companies will repair damage right up to the value of the car. It sucks when you're looking to sell and have a well timed accident, and it also pushes everyones insurance price up, but it does stop/slow backyard chop-shops and re-birthing.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Das Volk posted:

The American-size soda cup on the ground in front of it really sells it.

And 1/3 of that cup is crushed (the part that actually fits in the cupholder)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

We don't get that anymore in our part of the world. The government eliminated "repairable write-off" so now a car must be one or the other. Insurance companies will repair damage right up to the value of the car. It sucks when you're looking to sell and have a well timed accident, and it also pushes everyones insurance price up, but it does stop/slow backyard chop-shops and re-birthing.

Imagine my surprise when my Volvo got totaled by a deer. All I had to replace was hood, rad support, and the left fender. I got all the parts for about $400 and about three hours worth of work with hand tools. I bought it for $2400, and I had a loan on it just because I need some more credit history.

Imagine my surprise when I'm informed that there is no longer any such thing as a "salvage title", that in order to keep the car, I have to just withdraw my claim, pay off the loan immediately, then I would be allowed to collect the Volvo from the scrapyard.

:argh: At least I still have a clean title on it :smug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought AI got over sperging out over table breakage years ago, and it was no longer a rule...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought AI got over sperging out over table breakage years ago, and it was no longer a rule...

Man, if only there was some place to see if AI got over "sperging out" about an issue you feel strongly about. Oh wait, there's that rules thread that says

quote:

Exception: Relaxed image size rules. However, don't go above 1024x768 without a TIMG tag, and for the sake of those who are browsing on devices that start choking on it, try to create actual thumbnail images instead of the TIMG tag if you're posting a straight-out-of-the-camera shot.

here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495378

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MomJeans420 posted:

There's some of us who will go into full on sperglord dual monitor poo poo about how "well it didn't break MY tables because my browser can stretch across two monitors :smug: ". I may have done this... and I definitely posted photos of both monitors barely managing to fit the image on both screens.

But as a general rule, if it's wide enough to where you have to scroll left/right to see the whole thing on a computer made in the past 10 years, it's too big. If it's too big to fit on something with what was considered insane resolution less than 10 years ago, it's way, way, way too big.

I'm running 1920x1080 on my main monitor. That image didn't come anywhere close to fitting. In any dimension.

e: the majority of us probably use imgur these days, right? If you take the raw imgur link (i.e. the i.imgur.com/somefuckingshit.jpg link), simply adding a lowercase "L" to the end of it (before the .jpg) will give you a reasonable thumbnail - i.e. instead of somefuckingshit.jpg, somefuckingshitl.jpg. As an added bonus, if you paste the link into the forum with that "l" already added, the forum automatically turns that reasonably sized photo into a clickable link to the giant photo. If you just paste an imgur link, you get automatic [img] tags for it; if you're posting from a mobile device, all you have to do is add an "l" to the filename before the .jpg to turn it into a reasonably sized image; you can always go back and add links to the full image later.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 9, 2013

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

some texas redneck posted:

"well it didn't break MY tables because my browser can stretch across two monitors :smug: "

That must make it a nightmare to read any text.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Actually I know most of the IT guys in my building run dual screens and default to just having a huge browser window spanning both. I don't know how they do it; I have two screens but my second one is only used when I fill my primary one up or need to extend my workspace.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Either that's axle grease of some sort, or necromorphs have taken over the cylinder head and are even now spreading to the crankcase sector.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now I want cranberry sauce and it's nowhere near Thanksgiving. :(

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Throatwarbler posted:

I really don't get all the hate for the VAG V8, yes it has a timing chain? That Ford Cologne V6 they put into every single thing in the 1990s had timing chains on both sides of the engine, it's not really that uncommon.

When you did the timing chains on one, did you think when you were done: "That was a totally reasonable amount of work to keep this sub-par car on the road"? I work at a VW/Audi shop, and none of these piles are worth that amount of labor as "Maintenance". End of story. VW can die in a fire as far as I am concerned these days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Budget Monty posted:

When you did the timing chains on one, did you think when you were done: "That was a totally reasonable amount of work to keep this sub-par car on the road"? I work at a VW/Audi shop, and none of these piles are worth that amount of labor as "Maintenance". End of story. VW can die in a fire as far as I am concerned these days.

While you're absolutely correct about current VAG, you're also inadverdantly correct about every car with the SOHC cologne v6 :)

Indeed, I would extend that sentiment to any engine with valvetrain timing gear on both ends of the block. Basically every vehicle with this layout turns out to be garbage.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

I've always wondered what happens if you put jello mix in there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I guess, like churning milk into butter, you can churn some oils into wax.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like someone filled the drat thing with axle grease instead of oil :stonk:

Here's a 12 bolt that didn't like 750hp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSk_GJKP62s

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That looks like someone filled the drat thing with axle grease instead of oil :stonk:
I'm pretty sure that's wheel bearing grease. I have a big jar of it that I use from time to time for purposes.

edit:

I guess someone tried to Ghost ride the whip.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty sure that's wheel bearing grease. I have a big jar of it that I use from time to time for purposes.

edit:

I guess someone tried to Ghost ride the whip.

"for purposes."? You mean other than put them into wheel bearings? :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I misspoke - I use the red poo poo for basically everything. Am I supposed to? Probably not. But I haven't had any issues with my balljoints, tie rod ends, driveshafts, wheel bearings, U-joints, etc yet... it makes pretty good transmission assembly grease, too. I don't think I'd use it as engine assembly grease (or engine oil like that guy :v:) but it sticks needle bearings into places they need to stay quite nicely.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 10, 2013

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It does also look a bit like that Redline assembly lube, and one thing that has been drilled into my head over the years is that "you can never have too much assembly lube! When in doubt, stick some more in!" :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This looks like an open wound with visible viscera. :gonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Astroman posted:

This looks like an open wound with visible viscera. :gonk:

My first thought was "What the hell was living inside that engine!?"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My first thought was that someones kid had somehow gotten one of those sticky-stretchy-rubbery things you get out of 25c vending machines into an engine, which was then torn asunder. The bits of bearing make it look like the same sparkly crap those toys are made from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Better send Boomerjinks in to investigate.