Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I decided to check out if there had been anyone else that dumb to review this book. I found two full reviews of the book, one at Goodreads (warning, reaction gifs and some memes) and another at Livejournal (warning, livejournal). Doesn't look like we missed anything when I skimmed those reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
List of atrocities and villainous acts committed by Railrunner and his gang of psychopathic monsters

Chapter 4
1. Shattered the beer bottles being held by his friends Buddy and Sly, injuring their hands
2. Killed a cat
3. Wrecked the ambulance that came in response to Buddy and Sly's injuries
4. Wrecked a bar, killing at least 1 civilian
5. Attacked the bar-owner
6. Attacked the police officers who came in response to the chaos, killing 5 of them

Chapter 5
7. Killed and ate a bull

Chapter 8
8. Attacked his girlfriend Clare

Chapter 9
9. Attacked Detective Black when he jumped in front of Clare to defend her from Railrunner's assault
10. Ran through the carnival, destroying nearly everything in his path, from toppling over small rides to completely obliterating food stands
11. Killed and ate a "fat black and white dairy cow"
12. Attacked and killed a SWAT officer who came in response to the chaos
13. Attacked his girlfriend Clare again
14. Attacked Detective Black again
15. Tried to attack Thunderbark with lightning

Chapter 11
16. Cold-bloodedly murdered a gang of thugs who had accosted Clare but who had swiftly surrendered after seeing Railrunner's were-roller-coaster form
17. Attacked a pair of police officers who had come in response to a report of armed robbery in the area
18. Pushed large trucks out of his way while chasing the abovementioned police officers on the road, presumably causing multiple vehicle collisions

Chapter 13
19. Killed a police officer by biting him in the neck
20. Killed another police officer by deflecting a bullet back into the police officer
21. Caused mass destruction to a group of police officers by firing a “concussion beam”
22. Flattened some more police officers by “flipping their cruisers” and crushing them underneath

Chapter 15
23. Cruelly destroyed a mouse by manipulating the metal in its blood
24. Inflicted a minor injury on Detective Black
25. Slammed a few police offices on to a wall
26. Smashed a few more police officers with his tail
27. Knocked out a police officer by popping open his restraint
28. Attempted to crush a FBI captain by throwing a police car at him

Chapter 16
29. Broke into a museum and stole a piece of jewellery known as the Augu Ra

Chapter 18
30. Threw a dog into a tree, knocking it out (Thunderbark)
31. Destroyed a ferris wheel by climbing onto and then jumping off it with all of twenty thousand pounds of weight
32. Threw an armored truck at a group of police officers, hitting “several squad cars and policemen”
33. Broke off a light post and used it as a bat, breaking bones and smashing cars
34. Stabbed police officers with her “unicorn-like horn” (Merrylegs)
35. Stung people “as if they were a scorpion’s prey” (Static)
36. Disintegrated a row of police officers with his McGuffin
37. Struck down an FBI captain with a lightning bolt (Thunderbark)

Chapter 26
38. Went out of control (again) during a sparring session and bit and poisoned Thunderbark

Chapter 27
39. “Wiped out the first row of helpless men” with “a searing inferno”
40. Destroyed six tanks of soldiers

Chapter 35
41. Threatened to kill Merrylegs
42. Threatened to assault Static

Chapter 36
43. Threatened to “cut the restraints off” a bartender roller-coaster
44. Threatened to “shove the head up” a “diminutive” tin-lizzy ticket-taker

Chapter 38
45. Seriously considered the deliberate killing of another gladiator solely because the other gladiator had smack-talked Railrunner

Chapter 39
46. Made Merrylegs and Static wait four hours for dinner while he indulged his gluttony

Chapter 40
47. Went out of his way to kill a roller-coaster bandit for his blood, without the slightest hesitation or regret

Chapter 47
48. Threatened Merrylegs because she had the sheer temerity to ask Railrunner to use his death-prediction powers to predict which of their allies might die in the upcoming battle
49. Caused mass destruction to the town of Alcator during his “liberation” of it

Chapter 50
50. Killed one person and injured many others at a gas station

Chapter 54
51. Killed Bones, who had already surrendered and given Railrunner the information requested by Railrunner in exchange for an implicit promise of safe passage

Chapter 56
52. Needlessly escalated a confrontation with a group of would-be robbers and killed all of them

Chapter 57
53. Fed pancakes to Clare's dog (in Chapter 27), who contracted a stomachache as a result

Chapter 58
54. Executed Freakshow in cold blood

Chapter 60
55. Clobbered a Mystic Park security guard on the side of the head
56. Hit another Mystic Park security guard "in the jaw, knocking him senseless to the ground. He placed his hand over his bloody mouth and his face twisted into a sour expression"
57. Busted the nose of a third Mystic Park security guard

Chapter 64
58. Instructs Thunderbark to let Clare fall to her death, so that Railrunner can transform her into a roller-coaster
59. Irrevocably turns Clare into a were-roller-coaster without her knowledge, let alone consent

Chapter 65
60. Executes Ironwheel in cold blood, in a painful manner - "Ironwheel screamed in pain and suffering. His black metal started to melt away, exposing his ribs and other organs. The two beams crossed creating a deadly combination, rotting Ironwheel from inside out. Soon all of my enemy’s metal melted from his body and his flesh was fully cooked. Ironwheel was nothing but a pile of burnt bones that turned to ash as soon as I stopped. I had done it."

Chapter 66
61. Strips Cladowtrack of her last vestiges of independence and agency

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

JosephWongKS posted:

List of atrocities and villainous acts committed by Railrunner and his gang of psychopathic monsters
List of atrocities and villainous acts committed by Miranda Leek

1. Published Twisted
2. Published it again
3. Is going to publish Vertigo

E: vvv I choose to lump those mind-searing visions under item 1. It's a coping mechanism.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 5, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Tardigrade posted:

List of atrocities and villainous acts committed by Miranda Leek

1. Published Twisted
2. Published it again
3. Is going to publish Vertigo

You're being too kind.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Furthermore, the fact their fingers are tipped with ungainly wheels will never stop being stupid.

Go ahead, try to go through your day with some toy truck wheels taped to the ends of your fingers. Or barring that, cookies. At least then you get to eat them afterwards!

Then remember that these wheels supposedly spin freely, making it even more of a clusterfuck to get anything done since they'd just wheel themselves off anything you tried to grip.

Then imagine what getting a hangwheel must feel like. Ouch.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Furthermore, the fact their fingers are tipped with ungainly wheels will never stop being stupid.

Go ahead, try to go through your day with some toy truck wheels taped to the ends of your fingers. Or barring that, cookies. At least then you get to eat them afterwards!

Then remember that these wheels supposedly spin freely, making it even more of a clusterfuck to get anything done since they'd just wheel themselves off anything you tried to grip.

Then imagine what getting a hangwheel must feel like. Ouch.

Their anatomy in general is so dumb and made worse by the fact that they're supposed to be blood and flesh underneath the roller coaster skin. If you look back at the roller coaster birth pictures (DO NOT LOOK BACK AT THE ROLLER COASTER BIRTH PICTURES) she just doesn't include anything past the 'legs' because it doesn't make sense but that makes everything make even less sense.

Which is why those fight scenes she wrote were so unsatisfying, because it's just dragons fighting each other. There isn't even an attempt to work with interesting anatomy, and funnily enough, now that I think about it, the only time Railrunner actually goes on tracks is when he's being all roller coaster junkie at the temple, so there's no attempt to work in what might be unique habits of roller coasters. I was thinking about Chinese dragons fighting each other as an analogy for how coaster fights might work but now that I think about it, what would make a lot more sense would be some sort of race-jousting on the tracks. Because tracks are supposed to be like their native habitat, right? So you race around to build up speed, then come crashing together/try to spear the other coaster. And considering the 'amusement park ride bending' power that got pulled out of Railrunner's rear end, particularly powerful coasters could twist their tracks around to get a better angle and try to sabotage the other coaster's tracks by making bumps to derail them or slow them down.

That took me ten minutes to come up with and I don't even like this story. I'm just upset at the unused potential of loving god drat roller coasters.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

There is also so much amusement-park related trivia that could be used but was completely ignored. For instance, dueling roller coasters. Do you know how interesting that can be? With the whole magic thing they could have been telepathically linked, or maybe one is Fallen and one is not, leading to some confusion in the battle field.

Or the Lead Horse on a carousel. Often more detailed than other horses and might also have some war armor on them. If Miranda had been more aware of that particular piece of trivia I'm quite sure that Merrylegs would have been a Lead Horse.

I'm sure there is more amusement park trivia that could have been used, but nooo, Miranda has to be all about roller coasters.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What happened to his sword?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Dreggon posted:

What happened to his sword?

The same thing that happened to the mouse. Railrunner broke it. :smith:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm sure there is more amusement park trivia that could have been used, but nooo, Miranda has to be all about roller coasters.

There's only I can think of: the outer side of a carousel horse is more detailed than the inner side, for obvious reasons.

I think this whole setting was totally wasted. Carnival rides see the highness and lowness of the human condition, so it'd make sense for parts of our nature to rub off on them and take on a life of their own.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 8, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The secret project, if such a thing existed, might be in the recording phase right now, if such things could be said about hypothetical constructs.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

my dad posted:

The secret project, if such a thing existed, might be in the recording phase right now, if such things could be said about hypothetical constructs.

I am curious about this secret project. Please, tell me more. :allears:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Please tell me it's a video of guys dressed in foam roller coaster costumes battling each other.

3D or animation is OK. I will accept it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
This isn't a thread you should ever read in one sitting, and yet, here I am. And every page I found myself saying 'this is about rollercoasters. This is seriously about loving rollercoasters. Someone actually did this.' Like, the weird magic and Mary Sueisms aside, it's about loving rollercoasters. And it was taken seriously. By someone who is still drawing them. And writing about them.

I'm not sure if it makes it worse or better that I can't look at any of the art without thinking most of the "coasters" are just wearing sunglasses. For the longest time, I was under the impression that Railrunner was trying to rock some 90's style Vanilla Ice get-up or something, then I realized those were seaTHIS IS ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING ROLLERCOASTERS HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN WHAT MAKES SOMEONE GET UP IN THE MORNING AND SAY 'I KNOW, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE'ts.

Also, seconding the 'strike out words and phrases to make the book better' idea. Or just rearrange the words entirely so it turns into Burroughsian gibberish.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

An Old Boot posted:

Also, seconding the 'strike out words and phrases to make the book better' idea. Or just rearrange the words entirely so it turns into Burroughsian gibberish.

Twisted Markov chains?

quote:

“This is just great!” I said as I slapped a handful of bills onto the table. All those unwanted slips of paper kept piling up, bills from the counter. I then started to press the keys requested by the public eye. I looked at it carefully scanning each and every printed word. MYSTIC PARK WANTED! ROLLER COASTER ENGINEER CALL 789-6450 ASK FOR WOODY Roller coasters, I knew more than most who were “coaster junkies”. I acquired all the information that I knew I wanted something that I knew that this could be my big break. I got up out of breath, almost like he had been running. “Yes, my name is Rodney and I…” “Would like to try out for the position of coaster engineer, am I right?” he replied interrupting me. It was almost as if he could read my mind. “Yes sir,” I simply said into the receiver, afraid that he was out of breath, almost like he had been running. “Yes, my name is Rodney and I…” “Would like to try out for a very long time. As I took a sip I scanned the newspaper in front of me looking for a specific part in a big-time movie.

quote:

Clare wandered around her house in a daze. She still was suffering from what happened the night before. She could not convince herself it was a dream, because the scratches lay on her arm. The brutal memory of Rodney transforming still lingered in her sleeve and began to walk to the front door. She did the whole process as if she was in a trance. Clare slowly opened the door. Clare began to walk to the front door. She did the whole process as if she was in a daze. She still was suffering from what happened the night before. She could not convince herself it was a dream, because the scratches lay on her arm. The brutal memory of Rodney transforming still lingered in her sleeve and began to dig around in the silverware drawer, her hands shaking. “Come on Clare, I know you’re home. Could you please answer?” Rodney called. She shoved several forks out of his chest; he pulled it free and lay it aside. Blood seeped through his shirt; he unbuttoned it and reveled the nasty wound.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

An Old Boot posted:

it's about loving rollercoasters

That's book two.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I decided to have some fun and ran chapter 1-3 and part of 4 through a Travesty generator

quote:

Part One
Rise of The Red
Behind Iron Bars
Pacing, back and forth from, corner to open up the door. As soon as I saw your steel coaster in awe, a cold shiver went down
my spine and my hair stood up and clutched my back, feeling like an aftershock from a baseball bat hitting me in
the spine. I quickly put it behind me
as I walked through my body. It soared down my spine
and my anatomy completed my test yet,” I replied still examining him. To me it was
certain that Woody had said? Then he turned and pulled up a chair in front of us,
his ice blue eyes looking hopelessly for work, I included.
I sat at my kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee and munching on a
donut. As I took another sip of coffee and munching on a
donut. As I took the key from the building and back into the forest was a gold mine for those who desired big game.
However, despite my suffering, I have to go on; I had to have this job! Then
we finally got onto the road. Suddenly a small rippling pain shot across my
back. Then it went through him.
“Why! Why me!” The words screamed inside his head from side to
side abruptly trying to hide a cunning smile.
“It’s a long story Railrunner Unleashed
A few hours to prepare. I couldn’t take theirs off me. They looked at it carefully scanning
each and every printed word.
MYSTIC PARK
WANTED!
ROLLER COASTER ENGINEER
CALL 789-6450
ASK FOR WOODY
Roller coaster engineer.
It’s the only one thing, a simple but effective
test on you. It will be a living hell, but for one of you -
it will not.” He finished looking vest. He began
to smile slightly as he casually stuck one hand into his pocket of his brown
trousers. He then held out his smooth hand as a gesture for me to shake it,
and I accepted his greeting.
“You mean the redhead and the explainable becomes unexplainable.”
Woody replied still examining him. To me it was
certain that Woody didn’t look like a – cat’s!”
He stared straight ahead with his hands in
his pocket of his brown
trousers. He then held out his smooth hand as a gesture for me to join them.
There’s
something that
I could relate to very well. A job that I would consider for this job! Then
we finally got onto the track. Pain ran through the wooded roads of Huntersberg got its name from the building and back into the room and began to hammer in my chest. It went from its
rhythmic thump to a completely demented.
I was now sitting next to him only to tell me what’s going on.” He said in his low
voice.
“Yeah, I feel power.” I said trying to hide a snicker.
“Then be at Mystic Park was built,
making the undetectable city not only for hunters but also thrill seekers as
well. I tried not to believe
what Woody had said. It was frightened beyond reason; I slammed on the back of my neck. A strange stinging
sensation ran through with it I wondered as I looked
down for a specific part in a big-time movie.
“Yep, the one and only indeed.” He said waving me out.
I nodded and warily followed him from the electric,
water, and who knew what else. Everything.” Woody began as he stood
there stone still while he barely breathed. He then dipped his head low,
letting his long hair drape over his shoulders. The coaster engineer had gotten on a whole new level of weird.
“Listen! There is a place that co-exists within an amusement; he has armies to kill you to prevent the prophesy from
becoming true. My allies and I decided you would be safe in the real world.”
“Why? I haven’t even completed my test yet,” I replied as I crossed my arms.
“Yes.” I said letting a sly grin come to my view.
He then guided one of his dagger-
like claws into the map when Mystic Park. I’m the new roller coaster. The screaming tires echoing through my arms and legs. I bit my lip and let out a soft
hiss of pain.
“Ever worked on roller coaster engineer.
It’s the only thing I’m going to believe that crap again
!
“So Rod, where did you get your tattoos and your eyebrow and looked somewhat like a daring teenager. Even as I
walked away they couldn’t fall any deeper.
When the time to get scatterbrained!
Woody suddenly walked into the coaster, it began to hammer in my chest. It went from its
rhythmic thump to a completely absurd machine gun like metronome. My
health was really starting to grow amusing. It was
actually seen
one in person, but I knew from books, television, and the explainable becomes possible.
There is a place that could see what his eyes?”
“Yes that is your real name then don’t I have some freaky name if
I’m from were you are in your human form for so long, you forget
nearly everything seemed to always have an odd
attraction to them, and I couldn’t fall any deeper.
When the time came, I grabbed my phone from the ignition and a reason to be there.
The song that played faded into a low ponytail and a
small unkempt beard and mustache advanced towards Woody. I stumbled on the walkway edge,
an

Oh god, I ran the entire book through the generator and got this result

Here are some choice snippets

quote:

“This is Railrunner. I’m allergic to your point,” I replied.

[...]

I pulled the red roller coaster - it has returned; all hope is lost! No one under any circumstances lets the worst.

[...]

Freakshow was already consumed yesterday, and he fell to the ground breather, I went over plans really young, reckless, stupid, and take it! That was now falling out.

[...]

“Har har. Well, good night Railrunner looked around and prepared to make a move, Razorblade guided us to the ground. Together they looked like a tomahawk. The ride dropped her hair as I ran.

[...]

I extracted my claws. [Of course that's in there!]

[...]

“I’ll think you should know. I watched flames spread across the rails. I glided through human flesh, and he is in the park is on its off season; there were asleep in the shape of a coaster stood smiling up at. It was well hidden. :stonk:

EDIT: Good god this is giving me some serious Lovecraft vibes. It's like one is getting a glimpse in how Great Old Ones might communicate or wage wars between themselves.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 9, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Miranda Leek posted:

Twisted roller coasters are the coasters of Amusement Park Between, a place where rides go once they are put into storage or destroyed and where no humans are allowed. Roller coasters, like in the real world, are top dogs in Amusement Park Between, and for good reason. They are smart, fast, and extremely vicious when it comes to fighting. However, they are actually very civil and wise when it comes to other matters like daily life.
Other traits include the gift of speech, manipulating the elements, and the ability to shape-shift into a human being when making a trip to the real world. Now, roller coasters very rarely make an alliance with a human, mostly because we see them as monsters and shoot first and ask questions later.

Ever more rare is when the KING of both the roller coasters and Amusement Park Between makes a bondage [the gently caress?] with a human. Here, we see that King Railrunner has befriended a young woman due to her sheltering him and keeping his true form under wraps. These people are known as "Coaster Tamers" because of twisted roller coasters loyalty to that person.

It is a good thing to have one around; if you are in any sort of trouble or need help performing a task the coaster will always lend their assistance. Another is a wild ride among the rails on a coaster that is capable of performing any sort of acrobatic, but don't straight up ask for a ride simply because you need something to do, a twisted will just think you are just using them for selfish reasons. You just have to wait for one to ask you. Also, no not EVER go looking for one to be your friend. You never know if it is good or evil, a roller coaster can kill you easily.

Remember, know your place.

I think this goes along with that picture of the girl and Railrunner. I still like those "horrible" roller coaster hunters more. They seem like badasses who hunt dangerous monsters for sport. Dangerous monsters who bend the elements, possess incredible speed, strength, agility and nigh-impervious skin.

Would you like me to put the descriptions for Angeltrack's pregnancy complications?
Fair warning: :shepicide: :gonk: :nms: within.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 9, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

I did this.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

^ ^ ^ ^ Oh god I can't breathe! XD

SSNeoman posted:

I think this goes along with that picture of the girl and Railrunner. I still like those "horrible" roller coaster hunters more. They seem like badasses who hunt dangerous monsters for sport. Dangerous monsters who bend the elements, possess incredible speed, strength, agility and nigh-impervious skin.

Would you like me to put the descriptions for Angeltrack's pregnancy complications?
Fair warning: :shepicide: :gonk: :nms: within.

Wait, what pregnancy complications? All I can remember is that the delivery took forty hours. Did I erase something from my memory?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Iced Cocoa posted:

Wait, what pregnancy complications? All I can remember is that the delivery took forty hours. Did I erase something from my memory?

Probably.

:nms: :nms: :nms:

During a good portion of Angeltrack's pregnancy, she was ill - her body not meant to carry a baby and it had to adapt.
During the first two months, Angeltrack suffered from extreme morning sickness. Anything seemed to make her queasy. From succulent foods like fresh fish and other dishes to the smells of fragrance and the scents of freshly cooked meals.
This was a difficult time for Angeltrack. Trips to the washroom and kitchen sink were very frequent. This worried Thunderbark greatly as he observed the fact that Angeltrack couldn't keep anything down and was losing weight rapidly. It made her more ill than before- unable to eat, Angeltrack was very weak.
So much that she couldn't make it to her washroom to empty her stomach, and in one case she got sick all over Thunderbark himself. The white coaster worked his hardest to aid her. He fed her the only thing she was able to keep down, bland and tasteless crackers,constantly when she was awake and held the buckets for her every time she needed to vomit. [Oh what the gently caress Miranda!?] Though it pained him to see her miserable, Thunderbark always kept positive; rubbing her back gently and expressing that things were okay, and she would be fine. Things were going to get better.

:nms: :nms: :nms:

Bonus:

quote:

Time passes by and Angeltrack finally begins to love her unborn baby instead of hating it.

This is the worst loving book :froggonk:

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
Oh god, the more I read about poo poo like this the more I just feel really sad for Miranda. What kind of awful upbringing must she have had to write this and continue writing this as a goddamn adult? How damaged is she that she really believes that Rodney is a great hero and hasn't done anything wrong and that his relationship with Clare/Shadowtrack is a great and perfect idealized romance?? I just...I don't...poo poo.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

I did this.

Edit: The previous thing here was an erroneous upload that cut off early. Here is it properly.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 9, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Alcharagia, that's amazing! I am honestly awestruck that you got through without laughing. Especially at 'can I have one final questioned - how come you ate the city?'

quote:

“How about three more perfect position. The two boys looked somewhat
of a tight squeeze.”
:stare:

quote:

I felt myself for the past two days.
:stonk:

quote:

All you
ever do is drink and choose the gun’s power.
It's like poetry. Not good poetry, mind.

Question: is it okay to post a review on goodreads? I kind of want to make sure other people know what sort of sociopath-glorifying misogynistic drivel they'll be getting into before they give Miranda money for it, but I'm not sure if it breaks safari rules just in case she checks her reviews.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

There is already a Goodreads review, so I think it doesn't really matter if there will be one more there.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I decided to check out if there had been anyone else that dumb to review this book. I found two full reviews of the book, one at Goodreads (warning, reaction gifs and some memes) and another at Livejournal (warning, livejournal). Doesn't look like we missed anything when I skimmed those reviews.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just spent 30 minutes saving all the images I could find from this thread and her website onto my computer. I know they will come in handy some day.

Of all of them I think this is my favorite. It's the only one where he isn't looking like a smug rear end in a top hat. Plus in a sadistic way I'm enjoying seeing him in pain, because I hate him so, so much.

I just wish there was a way to save this whole thread. It's so glorious.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

You even saved... that :stonk: picture?

I got notified that Miranda updated her journal, where she said that the re-published edition will be coming late August. But what she said as well was that there were two new illustrations coming, one of which of a character that had not been drawn before. So I got excited, finally Ironwheel or Black or Vicks! And then...

Who's this yahoo? Have a far better illustration of him by Rahonavis:

Also, have the second drawing, and guess at what chapter it's from and guess Railrunner's mood and what he's thinking!

Cheat key: He's reading about how he can change Clare into Shadowtrack.

What's with the anatomy on this drawing anyway? It's bugging me but I don't know enough anatomy to figure out why. Nor can I find any pictures of body builders shot from their side so I got nothing to compare this to.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Iced Cocoa posted:

Also, have the second drawing, and guess at what chapter it's from and guess Railrunner's mood and what he's thinking!

Cheat key: He's reading about how he can change Clare into Shadowtrack.

What's with the anatomy on this drawing anyway? It's bugging me but I don't know enough anatomy to figure out why. Nor can I find any pictures of body builders shot from their side so I got nothing to compare this to.

Chapter: any, thinking about : himself

I think the thing with the anatomy is that we're supposed to be seeing him from the side, but the lats are so far back that it looks more like a 3/4ths view, and with the way his necklace falls, it makes his chest look really weird. Plus, he's got that big bulge on his lowermost abs and then his body just kind of sweeps away into genderless smoothness between his legs--the problem with this being that it looks kind of unnatural to be so neuter. Usually stuff like action figures/male dolls have a fairly large space between the legs that's just blank but he's got nothing. or maybe that last-ab bulge is his dick

Also massive cheekbones, wheels for fingers, and a complete disregard of any coasterbits below the legs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
That... I just... I can't figure out the emoticon for this. I'll go with :froggonk:

"Twisted" is the worst thing fiction I have ever read. I went into this thread thinking that it was going to be cruel fun at the expensive of some poor inexperience teenager but my god, I didn't even write this poorly when I was in 6th grade and blatantly ripped off things I liked and thought "purple prose + length = literature."

I have never, ever seen a thesaurus abused like that. I have never seen spelling errors and I once tutored remedial English for middle school students. I just re-read the original "Mary Sue" parody story and it is nowhere near as absurd as this was.

Also, bonus Miranda:

quote:

Spell check is a joke. That's why I read a page over and over and own a harbrace for. Spell Check = Fail.

I just hate it when you accidentally put the wrong form of something and it doesn't catch it. I type so fast and my mind is running hundreds of miles an hour that sometimes I type a word and leave off a few letters. I hate it when it happens when I write "to" but mean "too"and skip the last o. I have a little bit of dyslexia and sometimes I accidentally swap letters as well. Both of these things piss me off so much.
:psyboom:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Of all of them I think this is my favorite. It's the only one where he isn't looking like a smug rear end in a top hat.

It really is quite interesting that when Miranda chooses to draw Railrunner in a flattering light, she draws him a particular way: angry, eyes turned upwards, and yet somewhat blank and emotionless. Even before I read Twisted, I always thought she drew Railrunner with no sympathy in his eyes, like seriously, how could she not notice she drew her character as a sociopath. But even now that she had a whole book to show Railrunner off to the world, it makes sense.

Thank you JosephWongKS for reading this terrible story. At many points I felt bad for you for having to review this story, especially when I remembered that I was the one who made you do it. :( This story was incredible though. Never before have I read a story with characters more reprehensible than these. I'm pretty sure I can now read Lolita without squirming.

Through out this story, I have seen a lot and learned a lot. I was first impressed by Miranda Leek's good ability at drawing, and then I saw pregnant coasters lovingly rendered in charcoal and crosshatching. I probably learned a lot about Miranda's home life, and what it's like in Tennessee. (Holy crap, Miranda, how could you write such racist poo poo)

Thanks for the ride, JosephWongKS and everyone with their amazing posts! The abyss can be fun with other people. It's a shame the story is over, because the thread was really great. This story truly featured one of the most imaginative worlds yet, in all the many ways that it inspired revulsion in those who gazed on it.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 13, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
In a lot of werewolf or vampire fiction, said mythical beasts often have a sort of hypnotic power over others. They say jump, mortals and less powerful mythical creatures say "How high?". Had Miranda used that it might have made sense how everyone follows Rail Runner, and the other Reds, immediately despite him being completely awful. It's a stock power for these sorts of things at this point.

Unfortunately, we couldn't have ANY dissent to Rail Runner. Or perhaps she simply forgot that was a thing. I'd have figured she thought it'd look bad, but it would just be one among a long list of atrocities he committed, and would be tame compared to what he did to Clare. So instead of using what could have been just yet another power in his list, everyone just agrees with Rail Runner because he is that super special.

:psyduck:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I have no good sense of what to do with my money, so I'm wondering if I should buy Miranda a :10bux: account. I recommend someone other than me send it to her, since I am terrible in explaining how SA works and how "we decreed that a punishment for a lovely text adventure would be your book"
...Incidentally...
Heroes Rise? Still a better story than Twisted.

And Bobbin, I notice you don't have plat. Post your email and I'll upgrade it or send you a :10bux: certificate. Least I can do for the cool story you're writing.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Well I have no good sense of what to do with my money, so I'm wondering if I should buy Miranda a :10bux: acc-

NO! Miranda is still stupidly proud of her book and touching the poop will do nothing but invite trouble. If you really want to throw away your money I suggest buying one of the last copies of the original edition before it goes out of print, and then do something to it and put on youtube. It would give us more entertainment than getting Miranda an account here.

Or maybe leave a one-star review on the book on amazon with verified purchase attached to it.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 13, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SSNeoman posted:

And Bobbin, I notice you don't have plat. Post your email and I'll upgrade it or send you a :10bux: certificate. Least I can do for the cool story you're writing.

Thanks, mate. The email attached to this account is kaligradhalnirai at yahoo.com. I suppose I should get back to writing that thing now that I've finished up work on my actual novel (but don't get too excited; there are still a few steps such as "showing it to another human being" between now and publishing it).

I wasn't kidding when I called what I've been doing here "practice," by the way. I can honestly say that my participation in this thread has transferred some real improvements to the novel I intend to sell.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Thanks, mate. The email attached to this account is [redacted]. I suppose I should get back to writing that thing now that I've finished up work on my actual novel (but don't get too excited; there are still a few steps such as "showing it to another human being" between now and publishing it).

Done. Enjoy :)

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I wasn't kidding when I called what I've been doing here "practice," by the way. I can honestly say that my participation in this thread has transferred some real improvements to the novel I intend to sell.

You hear it here folks. Miranda Leek's novel will make you a better writer.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

You hear it here folks. Miranda Leek's novel will make you a better writer.

That's for sure. I thought my stories were terrible, but now I have the motivation to keep on writing, now that I know that nothing I can write can spiral into a mess as bad as Twisted.

One thing that I forgot to bring up in the list of things that make Railrunner one of the most villainous and disgusting characters I have seen is that he purposely allows his girlfriend to die. He stops Thunderbark from rescuing her, he eagerly anticipates her death, and tells Ironwheel to let her go while fully knowing that he's going to do exactly as he says. All for the purpose of making her 'his' 'forever.' As Miranda was the writer and had all the freedom to write whatever plot contrivances she wanted to still have Railrunner be 'innocent' in the end, the fact that she wrote everything down where Railrunner is the only one responsible for killing Clare is amazing.

Many goons here said that Miranda Leek stole from werewolf, vampire, and dragon stories. Her pride is being unique by using roller coasters instead of other 'typical anthros'. The interesting thing is I think if she had just used regular dragons/wolves or whatever, the story probably would have been better off.

Ah well, looking forward to the next :gonk:Let's Read of Vertigo!:gonk: :shepicide:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 14, 2013

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Holy poo poo is that ever the best example of Torso Disorder. Look at that loving thing. Remember that those "legs" are just the second pair of arms on that car. The designated "legs" aren't even supposed to be for two more pairs iirc. What once was a biomechanical lizardpede is now a halfassed, disembodied torso, floating in a void. Obviously she found alive rollercoasters to be too tedious / boring / unsatisfying to draw and Flanderized them into smirking abs. If I looked at that thing without any context and tried to guess what it was supposed to be, I'd probably say some kind of hosed up anthro robot stegosaur frog fursona.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

What... what is that... thing? Looming in the distance?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I hope it's the secret project. :allears:

Have the bio of a cigar-chomping ferris wheel that will be in Vertigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
A rather smug individual with Railrunner as the median value? Holy god, that must be like a black hole of smug. :psyduck:

• Locked thread