Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So Dave was being worked here, yes? Doctors really told him that he should never wrestle again right?

Yeah, Dave was being worked here.

Big Dave Meltzer posted:

Pillman went into deep depression. He had the wrestling world by the balls and was about to sign a contract, most likely with WCW, and he was laying in a hospital bed and the doctors told him the ankle damage was so bad he would never wrestle again. He blamed himself for crashing his car and ruining everything he worked for, plus now he thought his career was over as well. The first thing he did was lie, to everyone, including me. He said as bad off as he was, the doctors said he would be able to wrestle and after healing, his ankle would be at 100%. He even said since it had been damaged for a decade, that it would actually be stronger after the surgery than it had been. To his shock, both McMahon and Bischoff were still after him, and he was downplaying the long-term effects to both of them. In the end, McMahon got him, because Bischoff, not fully trusting whether Pillman really was going to make a full recovery, offered more money, but wouldn't eliminate the standard 90-day termination cycle in the multi-year contract. When Bischoff wouldn't budge on the point, that was the difference maker. Creative and how he expected to be used played no part in the ultimate decision. It was only about insuring he'd have a job for the term of the contract if he couldn't perform in the ring.

http://www.hack-man.com/Wrestling/NewsArticles/200610xx-Meltzer-Pillman.html Warning, this is a brutal read and just drives home how hosed the wrestling business is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So Dave was being worked here, yes? Doctors really told him that he should never wrestle again right?

Pillman was working, but I believe that was after the second surgery when Pillman rushed back way too quickly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There was some other good bits, all from the 4/29/95 Observer:

quote:

This week's World Wide gaffe was airing a match with Luger vs. Kurosawa. In this match, Luger had Jimmy Hart in his corner (despite it being on the 3/24 PPV show when Luger said that Hart would no longer be in his corner), and Luger used the megaphone for the finish and worked as the heel in the match. The announcers in voice-overs didn't even make an attempt to explain what was going on in the framework of changing storylines.

quote:

Nitro on 4/22 in Albany, GA before 6,500 fans (3,800 paying $31,335) saw American Males over Public Enemy via DQ in 7:23 when they threw Scotty Riggs over the top rope. After the match, Enemy did the PE sandwich (both crashing onto Riggs, who was on a table on the floor, going through the table). Bagwell is the only one of the four whose offense looked even passable. *3/4; Chris Benoit pinned Eddie Guerrero holding the ropes in 7:42. The announcers buried this match, talking over even the near falls and big moves and instead talked about the Savage-Flair pairing at Battle Bowl. It was actually almost like watching three people doing a parody of being bad announcers. Jeez, they had Duggan vs. Meng which they could have ignored instead of these guys. It would have been a good match for anyone else, but considering who was involved it wasn't much. ***; Rob Garner, looking totally out of place, threatened Randy Savage with a suspension and Savage threatened to do the David Shults to Garner. Jim Duggan pinned Meng in 5:53 after knocking him out with the taped fist. 1/4*; Sting & Luger went to a no decision with Flair & Giant in 7:25. From a logic standpoint, the rules made less than no sense. It was explained that the tag titles were at stake, plus the TV title and the world title, but that Sting could also pin Luger or Giant could pin Flair and win their titles. Since it was a tag match, that made no sense and it should have been a four corners match with those rules, or they should have never said Giant could pin Flair and win the world title since it wasn't going to happen anyway and it made it sound like whomever came up with the idea and those who approved the idea were so loaded on drugs as to not have any clue. The match had super heat with Flair in most of the way doing all his typical stuff. Finish saw Woman give Flair the coffee (which she had been holding seemingly forever) and he tried to throw it at Sting or Luger, but it went in Giant's eyes instead. And then, for more logic, with Giant out of commission, either Sting or Luger should have had easy pickings beating Flair for the world title. So instead, they simply left the ring because they were scared of the blind Giant. Flair tried to placate The Giant, who wouldn't listen and they ended up issuing the challenges for the world title match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part

quote:

Here are a few things about Pancrase to think about.

1. Why are the fighters allowed to kick each other with shoes? You can't do that in the UFC. The shin pads didn't cover the hardest part of the shoe, the bottom. Front and side kicks, which use the bottom of the shoe, were thrown.

2. Why are punches not allowed and brutal leg kicks rarely used? Could it be because punches are impossible to fake convincingly and leg kicks, while not as difficult to fake as punches, are hard to make look full power and the fighters tend to overact when hit by them (like in UWFI)? I don't think you'll see too many people outside of shootfighting get knocked out cold by a palm heel slap.

3. Why do none of the fighters seem terribly worried when they are obviously in a position to be choked out and the fighter in the position to do the choking rarely tries very hard to do so? You rarely see anybody who knows chokes in the UFC not take advantage of the opportunity.

4. With points scored so infrequently, doesn't it seem silly that Ken Shamrock would have said that one fighter, in a dominant position, would just let his opponent up when the opponent would lose a point if he locked on a submission hold because of a rope break, would decide against working for the submission because he didn't want to give away any of his submissions. Doesn't he know at least a few?

5. I've never heard of a boxing, kick boxing or judo organization that only consists of about 20 fighters, most of whom are trained by the same people, who just rotate fighting one another. The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete. From what I understand, Pancrase is a very exclusive organization and difficult to get into. I wonder why? Also, why are the fighters paid salary like pro wrestlers instead of given purses for each match based on the result?

6. Finally, doesn't it seem strange that even SEG won't come out and state officially that Pancrase is 100% real?

Pro wrestling is great, but in no way should it be confused with something real like UFC. I loved the Rocky movies, but Sylvester Stallone was never the legitimate heavyweight boxing championship of the world. Let's not blur fantasy and reality. Pancrase may occasionally have some legitimate shoots but so did the UWFI. It is not terribly hard to tell the difference between real matches and not-so-real matches. Pancrase is simply a better worked, though less entertaining, version of UWFI. As much as I like and respect Ken Shamrock, I have to say that if he wants to claim any glory from his victories in Pancrase, he is also going to have to acknowledge his losses in pro wrestling matches, such as his loss to Bart Vale, which was an obvious work. You can't have it both ways.

Joe Silva

Richmond, Virginia

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

My favorite part

I am reading that thinking "I thought I read the Pancrase section, why don't I remember Dave saying this? Why is he saying it's a work now when he's been pretty consistent calling it mostly shoot... oh it's a reader's letter... JOE SILVA?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

"The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete"

Wasn't that sorta true in the early days, though? I remember back in the period where every show was a tourney, a lot of fake-rear end dudes who invented their own style would enter the tourney.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't that sorta true in the early days, though? I remember back in the period where every show was a tourney, a lot of fake-rear end dudes who invented their own style would enter the tourney.
I didn't realize this was the WCW thread and those were quotes from the Observer archive

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
That Observer is mislabeled, and should be from 4/29/96, the time period we just passed in PSP-TV.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Dave has hinted on Observer radio on a few occasions that Joe Silva subscribes/has subscribed.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

That letter is amazing, and when Joe Silva gets inducted into the HOF, that should be the entirety of his acceptance speech.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

ChampRamp posted:

Dave has hinted on Observer radio on a few occasions that Joe Silva subscribes/has subscribed.

I remember Dave saying he and Silva were good friends.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Silva has been on the Old Observer Radio a couple of times (One time he talks about watching pride and trying to "pick the work"), but Dana has forbid him from doing press now. I mean, Dana's a source of Dave's so I'd assume Silva would be too. ;)

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

coconono posted:

Disco Inferno and Lash Leroux were two guys whom I absolutely loved for no real reason.

Thank you for saying that. I feel so much better now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Dave has openly cited Joe Silva on dozens of occasions and I'm pretty sure Silva has talked about being a wrestling fan and Observer reader, that's like Rock where Dave doesn't even try to halfassedly keep "the source" a secret.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm watching that Legendary Hulk No-Sell, and holy crap he does the worst Figure 4 attempt ever at 1:54. Like, it makes The Miz look competent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wakh3VoZmCw&t=112s

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Matlock posted:

I'm watching that Legendary Hulk No-Sell, and holy crap he does the worst Figure 4 attempt ever at 1:54. Like, it makes The Miz look competent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wakh3VoZmCw&t=112s

This also features some incredible chairshots. Then he teases being rapey.

Edit: Teasing a scoop slam on Mean Gene almost made it worth it.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 5, 2013

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Rad R. posted:

Thank you for saying that. I feel so much better now.

Don't worry, everyone who knows anything knows that Disco ruled. Even WWE finally added him to their illustrious alumni section: http://www.wwe.com/superstars/disco-inferno

And they list the Chartbreaker as his finisher as should be, because gently caress The Disciple.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edit: gently caress I probably can't do tomorrow night now. Gotta reschedule GAB!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 8, 2013

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: gently caress I probably can't do tomorrow night now. Gotta reschedule GAB!

What a swerve!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Russos at home right now crying that he didn't think to swerve on what day a ppv is happening.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

To celebrate this WCW swerve we should have a night dedicated to Russo's ultimate goal, wrestling without a ring.

Junkyard Invitational, King of the Road, Graveyard, Monster Truck Sumo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

To celebrate this WCW swerve we should have a night dedicated to Russo's ultimate goal, wrestling without a ring.

Only one of those are Russos

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I am aware that Russo did not live up to his lofty goals.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I am aware that Russo did not live up to his lofty goals.

He left that to his spiritual successors in ESW.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Would the Shamrock/Owen Lions Den match count? Russo was writing for WWF when that happened.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

King of the Road owned, gently caress the haters.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

coconono posted:

King of the Road owned, gently caress the haters.

I didn't know you were a goon, Barry Darsow.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Wrestling in non-conventional settings is cool: fact

Next week I want to see the Wyatt's ambush someone in an Arby's.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?

That game was so bad.

In fact, all the WCW games except for WCW/NWO Revenge and World Tour were pretty bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Which was the WCW game that had like 100 guys in it with really lovely movesets? Thunder?

I liked it because every single guy you beat the game with would unlock another guy

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

rotinaj posted:

That game was so bad.

In fact, all the WCW games except for WCW/NWO Revenge and World Tour were pretty bad.

I remember reading a Nintendo Power that had a side-by-side comparison of WCW Backstage Assault and WWF No Mercy.

The comparisons were night-and-day. No Mercy's review went something like "You can do ladder matches, Royal Rumbles, go backstage, do all sorts of things!" and WCW's review was basically "You fight in backstage arenas. There is no wrestling ring."

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
WCW Mayhem was OK and got decent reviews at the time it came out, mostly due to a few innovations like backstage areas and better commentary(on Playstation) but it has aged horribly.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Which was the WCW game that had like 100 guys in it with really lovely movesets? Thunder?

I liked it because every single guy you beat the game with would unlock another guy

Oh man, I remember renting Thunder and Nitro with a friend and both of us just being completely confused at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GOo5IcIxc

Edit: haha how many drat times do I have to hear the NWO and Wolfpack themes, and even then, like 5 seconds of it...

DOUBLE EDIT: And who can forget Benoit's rant? "Silent...but violent..."

Quasipox fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Thunder the one where you did Street Fighter moves to do attacks?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

triplexpac posted:

Nitro and Thunder were pretty much the same game except Thunder had an updated roster and the most half-assed steel cage match to ever exist in a video game.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pick me. Pick someone else. I don't care. Leave me alone.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Was Thunder the one where you did Street Fighter moves to do attacks?

Yep, good luck remembering all that...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/199289-wcw-nwo-thunder/faqs/4866

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/199289-wcw-nwo-thunder/cheats

Aw man, if I want to play as Mongo, I have to win a title as Benoit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quasipox posted:

Oh man, I remember renting Thunder and Nitro with a friend and both of us just being completely confused at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GOo5IcIxc

Edit: haha how many drat times do I have to hear the NWO and Wolfpack themes, and even then, like 5 seconds of it...

DOUBLE EDIT: And who can forget Benoit's rant? "Silent...but violent..."

Jericho, Kidman, the British Bulldog and Jim Neidhart were in a stable? :psyduck:

(I know, they just didn't want to bother putting their music in)

Edit: The rants are amazing, especially the ones where the guy just doesn't get what the gently caress these things are supposed to be.