Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Weinertron posted:

Hopefully there's a T440 available with the conventional trackpoint buttons and no touchscreen. Maybe if we're extremely lucky we can get the IPS 1080 screen on it. I'm willing to put up with the extra pound in weight for normal Thinkpad stuff like removable battery, raised metal hinges, etc.

Hopefully they don't decide to make the traditional Thinkpad features available only in the W-series as a cost-saving measure :ohdear:

They haven't really marketed T-series direct to consumers though I guess introducing the s models was a cheap-ish way to make it appealing in that market as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

They claim up to 6 hours with a 3 cell internal battery. That's a stretch and my bullshit detector is going crazy. I wish everyone was more like Apple and actually told you the conditions on how they get the battery life.

I think there's two of them, one internal and one swappable. 6 hours on a 6 cell seems at least possible but who knows how optimistic it is. Other than that I really like the specs, it has everything I wish for in a laptop.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just got off Dell chat. Supposedly the Haswell XPS 12 is slated to be released by August. Which doesn't make sense, since Dell Australia, Japan and UK are all selling this now. The rep said it is up to Intel on what countries are getting Haswell right now.

huhhhhh

Maybe I'll suck it up and get a 3rd gen for a lower price. Or maybe just get a Latitude 10 or something.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

Just got off Dell chat. Supposedly the Haswell XPS 12 is slated to be released by August. Which doesn't make sense, since Dell Australia, Japan and UK are all selling this now. The rep said it is up to Intel on what countries are getting Haswell right now.

huhhhhh

Maybe I'll suck it up and get a 3rd gen for a lower price. Or maybe just get a Latitude 10 or something.

:lol: Assuming that's right, good call me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

If it's anything like the X1C, it's amazing.

X1C had buttons for the trackpoint and a different clickpad. It's not the same thing, having tried both, and I was kind of surprised why the trackpad part just got worse all of a sudden since even their previous clickpads have never been particularly bad (at least in this way). Dunno maybe it's a defect in the one I tried or some software issue. The guy who bought it doesn't want to return it and thinks he'll learn to deal with it so who knows.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Mu Zeta posted:

They claim up to 6 hours with a 3 cell internal battery. That's a stretch and my bullshit detector is going crazy. I wish everyone was more like Apple and actually told you the conditions on how they get the battery life.

The T431s advertised 9 hours on its 47 Whr battery, and it got 8:36 according to Notebookcheck on the do-nothing test. The T440s being advertised as 12 hours under Haswell seems rather proportionate and in line with their other battery life claims (that is, their other wildly unrealistic, minimal configuration battery life stretch mode claims).

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

So after much deliberation I settled for an L430 from eBay - I just couldn't stretch to the T series unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience of these? The Notebookcheck review seems fairly positive. I got an I3 with 4GB of RAM, I plan to whack another 12GB in there (apparently this is possible, though not supported by Lenovo), any idea whether the chip itself would be upgradable? I am torn between finding an I5 chip to swap it out with or an SSD, any thoughts?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

So after much deliberation I settled for an L430 from eBay - I just couldn't stretch to the T series unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience of these? The Notebookcheck review seems fairly positive. I got an I3 with 4GB of RAM, I plan to whack another 12GB in there (apparently this is possible, though not supported by Lenovo), any idea whether the chip itself would be upgradable? I am torn between finding an I5 chip to swap it out with or an SSD, any thoughts?

You can't replace the CPU. An SSD would be a good value for money for upgrade, but if you can afford an L430 and SSD couldn't you afford a T-series?

Your earlier posts indicate you're a PHP developer, is there something unusual you're doing like running 20VMs that actually would need 16GB of RAM? You're unlikely to get anything out of doing that.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for the info on the cpu. I would have loved a t series but the 530s rarely come below £500 in the UK so it was out of the question for the time being, the L is 'as new' and only ran me £300 so I figure I've got about a hundred quid worth of upgrading money to play with :)

With the ram I've always just banged whatever machine I have up to the maximum over time as it tends to be fairly cheap. I was planning on getting an 8 stick to put in to test whether you can go over the stated 8 limit, then maybe go to 16 later...

Edit: poast from phone

Gruffalo Soldier fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 9, 2013

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hearing that the T430s Haswell refresh will ditch the ThinkPad tradition of godawful TN display panels in exchange for an IPS panel makes me feel totally validated in delaying my purchase. By waiting for Intel to stop being jerks and to roll out mid-range Haswell chips, I'll be getting dramatically improved battery life, significantly stronger graphic performance, and a much better display. Of course, I'm assuming that the T530/W530 also get display upgrades (or at least the option to pay for a better display), but that seems pretty likely.

I've never actually used a Lenovo laptop before, so I stopped at Best Buy after work to check some out. They didn't have any ThinkPads, only IdeaPads P400 and P500 (which aren't even on Lenovo's website, the hell?) which seemed pretty mediocre. They also had an IdeaPad Yoga 11S, which was only half-functional. All three were disappointing, but fortunately, I did learn that I would be happy with a 14-inch laptop; I don't need a 15.6-inch laptop. I also learned that Windows 8 is horrible, I have no idea how it works, and I have no desire to learn.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Now that it's official what are everyone's thoughts on the W230ST Clevo/Sager 13"? http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges/715556-official-clevo-w230st-sager-np7330-owners-lounge.html

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So here's the story.

About 10 years ago I had a baller rear end IBM ThinkPad A31. I used it for about 5 years before selling it for way more than I imagined I would get. I love ThinkPads and respect everything about them.

These days I am a desk programmer and musician on the weekends. I'm getting more into electronic music and DJing and am starting to book gigs. I need a laptop that will do what I need: as big a processor as possible and as much RAM as possible without breaking the 1k mark. Graphics don't matter much and sound card doesn't matter as it's external and purpose built for what I do. A big screen is a plus for managing loads of information at once.

I bought a G780 from NewEgg thinking nothing of it. I buy loads of desktop parts from them to build my house machines. What could go wrong? I then surfed over to this thread and realized I was a horrible gently caress up! Luckily, NewEgg is taking back my G780 with the 17" screen, 5400rpm 500gig, and I7 to provide me a full refund.

Last night I pulled the trigger on a T530 from the B&N Gold link y'all provided. I maxed out the I5 option, bumped up the screen (not to full 1080, I'm afraid; just can't afford that), and upgraded the wireless for free. I would love to wait for Haswell, but I am already booking gigs and this machine should be more than I need anyway. I plan on kicking up the RAM to 8 or 16 from the stock 4 and dropping in an SSD while getting an UltraBay adapter for the 500gig 7200 it's coming with. Does this sound like a plan despite not asking anyone here first?

Big thanks to everyone in this thread for being so diligent about answering questions. Thanks for explaining how terribly wrong I was to assume that Lenovo kept ThinkPads marvelous across the board - I am now better informed as to what's happened since IBM moved the line to them.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
So.. you don't really need as much CPU as possible? You could get a quad core CPU for under $1000. You could have gotten a T430.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What's the deal with these Clevo laptops, you guys are talking about them but trying to find a proper explanation online is proving difficult, as far as I can tell it's some kind of Chinese manufacturer that doesn't directly sell to the US and is thus only available through various resellers in odd configurations, do I have that right?

Also, am I the only one annoyed by the Lenovo "s" models being called that? I'm seeing posts saying like t430s and I'm some of them are talking about "t430s" and others are just talking about t430 in a plural form, would be nice if they used like...pretty much any other letter, or put a space or a dash or something in.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The XPS 12 Haswell refresh is now on sale. There is no Intel Graphics 5000 option (but after that Anadtech article, I wouldn't want it).

July 23rd ship date. A bit earlier than I was expecting, honestly.

Revol fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 10, 2013

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Revol posted:

huhhhhh

Is it possible that the dell chat rep meant "by august" as in "When it becomes august it will already be on sale"? Or he was just clueless (more likely). I'm very tempted by that XPS12.

EDIT: Does the XPS12 have an IPS screen? I thought it didn't but I can't find "IPS" anywhere dell's page for it.

Brut fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 10, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Brut posted:

EDIT: Does the XPS12 have an IPS screen? I thought it didn't but I can't find "IPS" anywhere dell's page for it.

The previous version did so I'd have to assume that the refresh does.

I just can't stand that combined bezel and frame on it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Brut posted:

Is it possible that the dell chat rep meant "by august" as in "When it becomes august it will already be on sale"? Or he was just clueless (more likely). I'm very tempted by that XPS12.

Yeah, I figured the August thing was an intentionally vague answer. Also, it probably also was meant for when it ships, not when it goes on sale.

It is an IPS screen. I'm looking at the part now on the internal list. Any other questions, let me know. I'll feel better about answering them now that it's on sale, so I shouldn't be breaking any NDA.

Sendo posted:

I just can't stand that combined bezel and frame on it.

I don't understand? You mean the LCD? Because the frame that the LCD spins on is separate from any bezel, I thought? It's literally just the frame by itself.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Revol posted:

I don't understand? You mean the LCD? Because the frame that the LCD spins on is separate from any bezel, I thought? It's literally just the frame by itself.

Yeah I mean't I just don't like how it looks when it's locked in laptop mode because it looks like the whole thing is just one massive bezel.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Revol posted:

It is an IPS screen. I'm looking at the part now on the internal list. Any other questions, let me know. I'll feel better about answering them now that it's on sale, so I shouldn't be breaking any NDA.

Thanks. What model (or brand if you only know that) SSD is used in it?
What the gently caress is "Truelife"?
Is it possible to get the i5 model with 8GB of ram? (or 6GB or something I guess)
Most importantly, how do I get it cheaper?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

shrughes posted:

So.. you don't really need as much CPU as possible? You could get a quad core CPU for under $1000. You could have gotten a T430.

I don't, really. I will be surprised if I do. I didn't want to go past 800 and with the larger screen (for which the 1080p panel is available for $100 aftermarket) the T530 was the sweet spot by time I priced it out.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Brut posted:

Thanks. What model (or brand if you only know that) SSD is used in it?

They have multiple brands. Dell policy is that these parts are interchangeable. For example, say you call into me needing to replace a drive on your M6600. I'll order the same part number for the HDD you had on the original order, say it's a Samsung. But what gets sent out to you may be a different model/brand.

Brut posted:

What the gently caress is "Truelife"?

It's a marketing title for anti-glare.

Brut posted:

Is it possible to get the i5 model with 8GB of ram? (or 6GB or something I guess)

On the website, no, because they don't have custom build options. You might want to try putting a call in, though, and see if they have the ability to make a custom build. Looking at the parts, it doesn't seem like the i5 is locked out of using 4GB.

Brut posted:

Most importantly, how do I get it cheaper?

Wait for used models to come into the Outlet, or wait for a coupon/sale to come along. Myself, I'm going to get the base model for just under $999, because I've got a bonus 17% off employee discount this week. (I've also got free two-day shipping and a 5% back gift card.)

Which do you guys think I should get? The i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD for 999, or the i7, 8GB, 128GB SSD for around 1180ish? I really don't feel a need for a larger drive, and I even don't expect 4GB RAM being too small for me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Revol posted:

They have multiple brands. Dell policy is that these parts are interchangeable. For example, say you call into me needing to replace a drive on your M6600. I'll order the same part number for the HDD you had on the original order, say it's a Samsung. But what gets sent out to you may be a different model/brand.

It's a marketing title for anti-glare.

On the website, no, because they don't have custom build options. You might want to try putting a call in, though, and see if they have the ability to make a custom build. Looking at the parts, it doesn't seem like the i5 is locked out of using 4GB.

Wait for used models to come into the Outlet, or wait for a coupon/sale to come along. Myself, I'm going to get the base model for just under $999, because I've got a bonus 17% off employee discount this week. (I've also got free two-day shipping and a 5% back gift card.)

Which do you guys think I should get? The i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD for 999, or the i7, 8GB, 128GB SSD for around 1180ish? I really don't feel a need for a larger drive, and I even don't expect 4GB RAM being too small for me.

Just called in, sales dude basically said they have no more access to customize anything any more than on the website, assured me he can't "upgrade the rams or the memory", then once I said that was all I wanted, stuttered "but sir don't you wanna buy a laptop today?". I feel like somehow I placed a phone call in to a scam email.

If you're not worried about 4GB RAM, then it's very doubtful you're doing anything that will make the i7 worth it either. 200 bucks can buy you a wonderful extended warranty! Or something useful.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Brut posted:

Just called in, sales dude basically said they have no more access to customize anything any more than on the website, assured me he can't "upgrade the rams or the memory", then once I said that was all I wanted, stuttered "but sir don't you wanna buy a laptop today?". I feel like somehow I placed a phone call in to a scam email.

You know what? I'm a doofus. Both the CPU and the memory are soldered onto the motherboard, and looking at all the service kits we have, the i5 only comes in a 4GB flavor. Sorry. I'm so used to working on systems where the motherboard, memory and CPU are all separate parts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Revol posted:

You know what? I'm a doofus. Both the CPU and the memory are soldered onto the motherboard, and looking at all the service kits we have, the i5 only comes in a 4GB flavor. Sorry. I'm so used to working on systems where the motherboard, memory and CPU are all separate parts.

Oh, well that makes sense then.

Are any of the SSD models that can come with it OCZ? I don't want my SSD to suddenly brick itself.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Brut posted:

Oh, well that makes sense then.

Are any of the SSD models that can come with it OCZ? I don't want my SSD to suddenly brick itself.

No. I have never, ever seen Dell use OCZ. We more or less use the same SSD drives, either mini-card (like the XPS 12 uses) or drive, in a wide range of models. I've never seen us have a real problem with any SSD drives before.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/3920441198.html

Decent deal on a T400? Usage being a little headless 24/7 linux box that doesn't require me to have an external monitor/keyboard/mouse laying around when I need a head on it.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Has there been any indication as to when the Haswell refresh T430, or indeed any of the thinkpad range, are coming out in the UK?

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......
So I just ordered a Clevo W230ST from these guys.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-p-6163.html

Based on the spec sheet it seems like the perfect mobile gaming laptop. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LurkingAsian posted:

Based on the spec sheet it seems like the perfect mobile gaming laptop. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

I don't have that model but I purchased a Sager NP9150 from Xoticpc almost a year ago and I have not been let down at all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got my Haswell XPS 12 ordered, $1040 total after tax and free 2nd day shipping. Not supposed to ship until near the end of the month, though.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

I just got my Haswell XPS 12 ordered, $1040 total after tax and free 2nd day shipping. Not supposed to ship until near the end of the month, though.

What specs?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

LurkingAsian posted:

I'm ordering mine on the 21st, please post your thoughts when yours shows up. What specs did you end up ordering?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Whooping Toff posted:

Has there been any indication as to when the Haswell refresh T430, or indeed any of the thinkpad range, are coming out in the UK?
We don't even know when they'll be coming out in the US, let alone anywhere else. With Haswell i5s starting to finally show up, the hope is soon, but it could be at late as September.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

Switched.on posted:

I'm ordering mine on the 21st, please post your thoughts when yours shows up. What specs did you end up ordering?

I got mine with:
i7-4700QM
Geforce Gtx 765m
16Gb ram
256Gb SSD + 1Tb HD
Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 Wireless

The screen is not listed as IPS on Xotic PC's site but it should be a similar technology. Apparently IPS is a LG trademark?

LurkingAsian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 10, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LurkingAsian posted:

Apparently IPS is a LG trademark?
Nope. Still might be IPS, since IPS isn't something most people understand and hence isn't marketed as such, like on the X230. Could be a PLS screen, too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Delta-Wye posted:

What specs?

The base model. i5-4200U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel 4400 graphics.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Nope. Still might be IPS, since IPS isn't something most people understand and hence isn't marketed as such, like on the X230. Could be a PLS screen, too.

The name they used on the site was (Advanced-Hyper-View-Angle), it certainly sounds like its not a cheap tn screen.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
I am very disappointed by the XPS12 refresh. No 256GB SSD option. 128 isn't enough for me, and the only option above that is the $2K model with 512. If the $1400 had 256GB (or there was a $1500 model with it), that's what I'd be considering. But not $2000, that's total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

LurkingAsian posted:

Let us know how hot it gets under load, I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't have to throttle down like a motherfucker.