Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New Blog post, and an interactive video:

The Pitfalls of Politics & Ethics in Video Games

quote:

What we also discovered though, and this is something we considered important as designers, is that it made players sit back and think about what decision they should make. Because the decisions you make aren’t simply ethical ones. Dragon Commander remains a game and decisions influence gameplay. That means that what you consider to be ‘the right thing to do’ may not bring you the rewards you’d have liked.

You take on the role of an emperor after all, and if you were really to command an empire, how long would it take you before your ethics would take a backseat to more Machiavellian concerns? Compare it to conveniently ignoring injustice in a particular country, say, because the natural resource deals you have going on there are just too good to pass up.

It's a really good entry, and the game probably will make you think: At what price victory?.

Political decision simulator: (Make sure you have annotations enabled.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBN3jLzT1Y

What would you do?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Political decision simulator: (Make sure you have annotations enabled.)
What would you do?

Watch it twice, because I kept laughing at the annotations and didn't pay attention to anything it said.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

What would you do?

Is the coinflip random each time? Because if it's not, that's just unacceptable and you should fix that before the game ships. Speaking of which, do the advisors ever take different stances on different playthroughs on issues they don't really care that much about?

Also, no offense, but the newspaper could use better typography. Like, Sim City 2000 did it better and that was dinosaur times. The font used for the race names is especially glaring to my eyes.

I guess my issue is: these feel like computer screen fonts, not newspaper header mods. Also, only a third of the newspaper being filled in and the webdings-y font for "poo poo you can't read" both look like rear end. I understand this isn't exactly your top priority, but hey, feedback.

EDIT: Wait, aren't lizards supposed to be libertarians? Asking for censorship isn't very libertarian... although libertarians being all "freedom, freedom, rah rah!" except when there's something they don't like and then banning it is perfectly fine is realistic, I suppose.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 9, 2013

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
I'll be the most beloved emperor and have a whole society based on coin flips, it's so fair. I don't know why any civilization hasn't tried it.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Megazver posted:

EDIT: Wait, aren't lizards supposed to be libertarians? Asking for censorship isn't very libertarian... although libertarians being all "freedom, freedom, rah rah!" except when there's something they don't like and then banning it is perfectly fine is realistic, I suppose.

I got the impression that the lizard lady was just pissed at the newspaper for writing a bad article about her, and wasn't even thinking about freedom of speech issues or whatever. It was only the other councilors that mentioned it at all.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GloriousDemon posted:

I'll be the most beloved emperor and have a whole society based on coin flips, it's so fair. I don't know why any civilization hasn't tried it.
Because nobody wants a society where they only get their way half the time. They much prefer all or nothing. At least with nothing you can rally your base and play the martyr.

I don't think anyone really wants to be ruled by Harvey Dent anyway

vvv You're perfectly welcome you weirdly hostile person.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Because nobody wants a society where they only get their way half the time. They much prefer all or nothing. At least with nothing you can rally your base and play the martyr.

I don't think anyone really wants to be ruled by Harvey Dent anyway

Thank you for this illuminating answer. You have convinced me with your logic and insight into the human condition. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Don't forget, Today Larian is showing a match between two of its team members, live in 4 hours and 10 minutes! I may not be able to post your 30 minute warning, so here is one now.

quote:

The inevitable has happened. An unstoppable rivarly has emerged here in our offices. Our most recent talent in the QA department, Lorean, has declared that he's better than his lead, the man with experience, our ex-pro-gamer, Octaaf.

He has issued a direct challenge. A match of Dragon Commander. He's not beating around the bush:

Tune in at http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios
More info on http://www.divinitydragoncommander.com

Larian proudly announces: the main event. The fight of the century. This is so big, the rematch has already been planned! In a match of Divinity: Dragon Commander, the apprentice will take on the master in not one, but two legendary Dragon Commander battles, LIVE on Twitch TV!

First Match:

TUESDAY July 9th at
6PM GMT+1
9AM PST
12PM EST

Megazver posted:

The coin flip probably isn't random.

Passed your feedback on, Megazver. The game has been changing the fonts over the course of the beta, so they can probably do something about it.

Nomikos posted:

I got the impression that the lizard lady was just pissed at the newspaper for writing a bad article about her, and wasn't even thinking about freedom of speech issues or whatever. It was only the other councilors that mentioned it at all.

It was kinda the same with the Elf, he was less interested in the truth and more upset about embarrassing stories about him appearing in the paper.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The coin flip probably isn't random.

Not buying this, telling my friends to not buy this, tattooing "DO NOT BUY DRAGON COMMANDER" on my forehead. :colbert:

I wondered whether that was random because with four versus one, that decision is a total no-brainer. If the imp just doesn't give a gently caress and it's three versus two half the time you have to make this decision (and others), poo poo gets more interesting. And it seems it wouldn't require much editing of content.

quote:

It was kinda the same with the Elf, he was less interested in the truth and more upset about embarrassing stories about him appearing in the paper.

Admittedly, gardens are srsbsns.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 9, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So the match is in fifteen minutes? I'm tuning in to watch this.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

quote:

Broadcaster Larianstudios: We bought a new fancy sound capture card and rehearsed the entire afternoon
Snowtoad: no sound
Broadcaster Larianstudios: It all worked
» Now it doesn't

Wait, there's sound now, and the pregame show is starting. It's going to be an entire campaign. Oh boy, this'll take a while.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm already learning new things. Build Hunters in the beginning, because they've got more movement points.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It seems very weird to me that in the multiplayer campaign you start with the map full of independent provinces. Seems like it will make the very early game just a lot of boring expansion without any player vs player interaction. I guess you can crank through those turns very quickly though once you know what you're doing at least. Maybe the issue is more that this map is too big for only 2 players.

The combat reminds me a lot of a combination of Supreme Commander and something like LoL, except with a Dragon instead of an RTS hero unit. Although SupCom is probably not a fair comparison because it looks like the combat in this is super heavy on Micro. It's pretty cool, but it definitely confirms my suspicion that a multiplayer campaign would be literally unplayable with more than 2 people.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're going to be giving away new beta keys later, so watch the stream if you're interested in that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They're up already: http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/dragon-commander-closed-beta-key-giveaway

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only 9,968 keys left! Hurry!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
They answered a few questions.

• The current build we saw in the Twitch game has some balance changes with research cost. I spotted that Warlocks's "Meet the Beetles" skill now costs only 5 recruits, meaning that with 10 recruits, you can grab both the Warlock and its first skill. The Devastator's Enhanced Engines are also cheaper at 10 recruits.
  • You can take only 9 skills into battle, including passive skills, and all skills must be placed on the skill bar.
  • In the Campaign mode, there are Genocide cards which you can use to reduce the population of a country - giving an advantage to the one who brought more troops to the battle. In multiplayer, these are okay to use at anytime, but in single-player, you have to think about if you want to use them. The race of the country you played the card it on will be extremely angry at you, and there are other negative consequences, some of which are spoilerific.
  • Countries can no longer go into revolt against you or your enemy (if you have high enough influence). They had so many other things going on that they had to leave that out.
  • (I wasn't fully paying attention, so I'll correct this later) If you are at 0 influence with a faction, you won't gain any gold or research points from that race's countries, probably other bad things.
  • There will be like 55 RTS maps in the game. I'm not sure how many of those are single-player unique maps, though, like the one in the 27 minute demo.
  • Sadly, there are no bridges. But there are river maps in which are fun.
  • There probably will be a board game version at some point, but they aren't sure when. Those little plastic pieces are really expensive.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

I wondered whether that was random because with four versus one, that decision is a total no-brainer. If the imp just doesn't give a gently caress and it's three versus two half the time you have to make this decision (and others), poo poo gets more interesting. And it seems it wouldn't require much editing of content.

I'm not a dev or anything, but at least from my perspective that decision isn't so simple to me because freedom of the press is something that I see as very important and necessary for a free society. For me, at least, I'd be judging my RP concerns with restricting rights compared to my game concerns of keeping the factions happy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Got this game on steam, and I wish I was good at RTS games, but drat is it fun! It's actually kind of amazing seeing how the divinity games have evolved into all these genres and do it really well.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Nifty, free beta access to Dragon Commander.

Not gonna lie, though, I'd rather have early beta access to D:OS.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
New patch dropped. I'll add specific balance changes in a bit.

quote:

Hello,

The new update contains the following:

- Lobby fixes
- Stability fixes
- Desync fixes
- Autoresolve fixes
- Balancing changes
- UI fixes on strategy map
- Fixes for cards
- AI has become more responsive
- AI team management fixes
- Pathfinding fix for following
- Friendly fire fixes
- Better homing on fighter
- Infected effect fades out
- Changed projectile speed for AA
- Cruiser (Ironclad) flares only shoot enemy projectiles
- Cloaked units keep moving
- Fixed cursors in strategy map phase
- Fix crash when AI trying to take back capital

Keep them comments and logs coming :)

Leb posted:

Nifty, free beta access to Dragon Commander.

Not gonna lie, though, I'd rather have early beta access to D:OS.

There might be something like that at some point, but they aren't even at Alpha level completion for D:OS yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 9, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Cool. So, to be clear, the beta that's going out to random dudes right now is the MP beta, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leb posted:

Cool. So, to be clear, the beta that's going out to random dudes right now is the MP beta, right?

I had thought the beta is all one thing. MP and SP, right? SP is more limited, of course.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Drifter posted:

I had thought the beta is all one thing. MP and SP, right? SP is more limited, of course.

The one on steam at least has no singleplayer. Not sure if those of us that got it through there are on an earlier version or not, but it's supposed to be multiplayer only.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

New patch dropped. I'll add specific balance changes in a bit.

There might be something like that at some point, but they aren't even at Alpha level completion for D:OS yet.

Grr, no mentioning of display resolution fixes? Am I the only one that can't change the resolution of the game, and have to play the game in window mode since the fake window mode would result in my mouse completely stop working even in the menu?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zain posted:

The one on steam at least has no singleplayer. Not sure if those of us that got it through there are on an earlier version or not, but it's supposed to be multiplayer only.

The beta is just multi, though you can sort of imitate the single player by having only ai enemies. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just in case anyone is interested, in a couple hours (11pm GMT), I'll be streaming some Dragon Commander over on the IndieStatik Twitch channel.

This will be the press beta version, which means I'll be playing the campaign mode from the start (I think it's just the first act/campaign map in the current build) and probably letting folks in chat vote on key decisions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Larian Studios Dragon Commander grudge match: Round 1 (Part 2, post crash) recording is now up.

The beta currently only has multiplayer in two modes: Skirmish (single map) and Campaign, in which 4 2 factions fight for control of multiple countries on the strategy map, and conflicts are either auto-resolved or you go play on an RTS map.

Single-player of the first chapter is probably coming at some point.

I say 2 factions, even though 4 are available because currently the game crashes if you enter RTS mode from a Campaign which has 3 or 4 factions. The just-released patch didn't fix that one, so only play 1v1 or 2v2 for the moment.

Last patch revamped the Campaign Dragon Skill research, this one revamps the unit research. All kinds of things have been changed in tier, and now there are some upgrades which are at a lower research cost than the unit themselves. Hunters now need to be researched. Ironclads are down to 10 research points, Bomber Balloons are up to 20.

You also start out with less money and research points than you did before.

Unit balance hasn't changed much, but the Imp Fighter has increased health, armour, damage and range. The Warlock's cost in recruits and support has been lowered to 6, and with the lower-cost polymorph spell, they're more tempting to get, especially with the last patch's change to let Shamans and Warlocks float over water.

Rock Paper Shotgun beta build preview

quote:

Dragon Commander’s a bit like an over-friendly dog that jumps up at you, headbutts you in the crotch, licks you on the eye and then farts in helpless excitement when you come home. While it can be exasperating, its loveable nature and repertoire of charming tricks absolutely wins the day. I’m really looking forward to trying out the more expansive finished product later this year.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 10, 2013

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

lethial posted:

Am I the only one that can't change the resolution of the game

Do you not have the option to change the resolution, or is there a problem or no effect when you try?

You can manually set the resolution by editing the graphicsettings.lsx file in Wordpad, or other text editor, located in the folder:

C:/Users/ %username% /My Documents/Larian Studios/Dragon Commander

Look for the section

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="ScreenHeight" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="0" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="960" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="ScreenWidth" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="1280" type="4" />
</node>

Raze_Larian fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 9, 2013

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Raze_Larian posted:

Do you not have the option to change the resolution, or is there a problem or no effect when you try?

You can manually set the resolution by editing the graphicsettings.lsx file in Wordpad, or other text editor, located in the folder:

C:/Users/ %username% /My Documents/Larian Studios/Dragon Commander

Look for the section

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="Value" value="960" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="Value" value="1280" type="4" />
</node>

Nope, I don't have the option to select any resolution. The game defaults to 1440x900 (DX9). Here is what I have in the config file:

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="Value" value="0" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">

Is there a DX10 or DX11 exe that I can use or something?

thanks much.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lethial posted:

Nope, I don't have the option to select any resolution. The game defaults to 1440x900 (DX9). Here is what I have in the config file:

<node id="ConfigEntry">
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">

Is there a DX10 or DX11 exe that I can use or something?

thanks much.

So you can't just write in the necessary values? When you restart the game, it ignores when you edit and save the config?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Boy was I surprised when my two ironclads moving to intercept the single enemy transport in a water tile discovered that the water tile was actually a heavily industrialized island chain, and that the enemy transport was authorized to negotiate a mercenary contract with wizards in blimps.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Drifter posted:

So you can't just write in the necessary values? When you restart the game, it ignores when you edit and save the config?

Oh no, I could set it, and it worked but I posted that to hopefully show that there is something weird going on with the config file/game with respect to resolution setting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Here's the link to Dominic White's stream.
(Actual start of the game at 17:50)

Some people from Larian studios actually stayed up really late to watch this, so thumbs up to them (but get some sleep, guys!).

I got a chance to re-watch the Larian Twitch stream, and so some points are clarified here:
  • The types of Dragon are changing all the time. They’ve just done a rebalance, but that’s not in the latest beta build. Soon, though.
  • There are consequences for 0% support from a country’s race, and they’re pretty bad, so that’s pretty similar. You will have zero support on the RTS map, and Support is your unit cap on the map. Since you won’t be able to count on local support, you’ll have to win with the army that you brought. You’ll receive less gold and fewer research points from countries where you’re extremely unpopular with the dominant species.
  • There are 55 RTS maps in the game, which are being fitted with multiple scenatios, and you can play those in multiplayer.
  • There will be all kinds of advanced options you can do in multiplayer, game speed, starting recruits, tech level, victory conditions, and many more.

Rock Paper Shotgun beta build preview

quote:

Dragon Commander’s a bit like an over-friendly dog that jumps up at you, headbutts you in the crotch, licks you on the eye and then farts in helpless excitement when you come home. While it can be exasperating, its loveable nature and repertoire of charming tricks absolutely wins the day. I’m really looking forward to trying out the more expansive finished product later this year.

I'll be away for a few days, so someone else will have to have to handle any Dragon Commander news, previews, beta updates and the link to the rematch on Thursday.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone else unable to even start a skirmish of any sort? I tried different maps and numbers of AIs and even graphics settings and it still just crashes after the load screen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone else unable to even start a skirmish of any sort? I tried different maps and numbers of AIs and even graphics settings and it still just crashes after the load screen.

I haven't played the game recently, but three of my friends on steam came to me with that exact same issue, yesterday. I don't know what to tell you other than wait and hope they patch it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's the Flemish national holiday tomorrow, but something tells me Swen & co. aren't going to be taking the day off.

Also, just 1,800 beta keys for DC left. Grab one while you still can. Here's the link again.

Mzbundifund posted:

Boy was I surprised when my two ironclads moving to intercept the single enemy transport in a water tile discovered that the water tile was actually a heavily industrialized island chain, and that the enemy transport was authorized to negotiate a mercenary contract with wizards in blimps.

It's all good as long as you don't forget your promise (:v:) to co-op D:OS with Bacter.

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone else unable to even start a skirmish of any sort?

Were you locking the slots in the lobby before you added the AIs? If so, that would cause a crash entering combat, but was fixed in the recent patch (v1.0.120.9727).
You can switch to LAN, rather than Online, before creating a lobby if you just want to practice against the AI.

The crash in campaign mode when entering combat with more than 2 factions should also be fixed.

Phlegmish posted:

Also, just 1,800 beta keys for DC left. Grab one while you still can. Here's the link again.

Looks like they added another batch of keys; it's down to about 9350 now, with a couple hundred given away in the last half hour.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do these beta keys give you access to anything that you wouldn't have access to if you pre-ordered the game on steam? I'm already playing what I assume is a beta, I'm wondering if there's any reason I should grab one of these keys or not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do these beta keys give you access to anything that you wouldn't have access to if you pre-ordered the game on steam? I'm already playing what I assume is a beta, I'm wondering if there's any reason I should grab one of these keys or not...

Probably not.

A new patch dropped, which fixes a couple crash bugs, including the 3/4 factions crash bug.

A few balance tweaks, most notably that Juggernauts and Ironclads have had their range reduced. Juggernauts no longer outrage Devastators, which is probably to balance out that Shamans can go over water and heal your naval boats now.

• Locked thread