Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I also wonder what else is going on that people can't report on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

FightingMongoose posted:

Obviously I am very ignorant, I had thought reporting restrictions only applied to jury cases to prevent the juries being prejudiced.

It probably depends on the judge, given some of the Super-Injunction bullshit we've had in the last couple of years.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

You couldn't report on the previous court appearances that were making up this entire process, or the fact those court appearances were even taking place, even when they were listed in court schedules.
Some of your non-reporting laws are freaking weird.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I don't see what's stopping someone walking down to the court, taking a picture of the day's schedule, sending that picture to someone in the US, and getting them to post what's happening.

I also don't see what was to stop me doing that myself considering I had no idea there were reporting restrictions on publicly available information, are you exempt if you're unaware of the restrictions?

It's all a bit bonkers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I don't see what's stopping someone walking down to the court, taking a picture of the day's schedule, sending that picture to someone in the US, and getting them to post what's happening.

I also don't see what was to stop me doing that myself considering I had no idea there were reporting restrictions on publicly available information, are you exempt if you're unaware of the restrictions?

It's all a bit bonkers.

Generally, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defense.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

My understanding is that, while as an American you'd only be subject to American libel law under the Securing the Protection of our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act (which in a rare warm-and-fuzzy way was passed unanimously in 2010 and abbreviates to the SPEECH Act), you might still get done for contempt of court, which is what I would imagine that they would pursue you for.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
It seems there are more and more people coming forward saying the evidence they wanted to give to Leveson was denied.

(Sorry about the heil)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ss-inquiry.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Our old friend Lee Gibling is off to visit congress for a closed door session, no doubt about NDS UK Ltd, which could be interesting.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

s.1 of RIPA is a little poorly-worded, referring only to communications "in the course of [their] transmission by means of a private telecommunication system.".

So does "course of [their] transmission" mean as the data travels over a network? Or as the content of the data travels from the device through the air to the ears of someone listening? Couldn't you argue that every time the message is played, even if it's already been listened to by its intended recipient, if in any later instance it's not being played by the intended recipient, it's being intercepted by someone else?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

spikenigma posted:

It seems there are more and more people coming forward saying the evidence they wanted to give to Leveson was denied.

Great hypocrisy, Tory MP, thanks.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I attended a private function in London for the Hacked Off campaign, and met loads of people I only knew from the internet, Peter Jukes, Alastair Morgan, Hugh Tomlinson, etc. Even Hugh Grant was there, milling about, and distracting all the women. I heard some interesting stuff, and I'll hopefully be helping out the Dnaiel Morgan inquiry in some small way, so that should be good.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I attended a private function in London for the Hacked Off campaign, and met loads of people I only knew from the internet, Peter Jukes, Alastair Morgan, Hugh Tomlinson, etc. Even Hugh Grant was there, milling about, and distracting all the women. I heard some interesting stuff, and I'll hopefully be helping out the Dnaiel Morgan inquiry in some small way, so that should be good.
Good to hear that a lot of the smaller stories aren't being left behind

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

zylche posted:

Good to hear that a lot of the smaller stories aren't being left behind

They're setting up the inquiry at the moment, and we had a chat about that. Seems a big part will be handling masses of data, so that's going to be an ongoing challenge.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

At the SOCA inquiry today at the House of Commons Home Affairs Committee[/url] the SOCA representative announced they had pre-preemptively started trawling their records for anything related to Daniel Morgan, and plan to give it all to the Burton Inquiry into the murder of Daniel Morgan, which could produce a huge amount of information.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
This secret recording of Murdoch is starting to get some traction, aye?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thehustler posted:

This secret recording of Murdoch is starting to get some traction, aye?
It's on Gawker, so yes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

And Channel 4 News tonight I think

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Yeah I just read about the recording in that Gawker article and came straight here.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Always great to see when something from Private Eye completes its leisurely stroll to the rest of the press.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tom Watson resigns from his position in the Labour party to head to the backbenches and cause trouble from there

quote:

Independence day resignation letter

Ed Miliband MP

Leader of the Opposition

House of Commons

London

SW1A 0AA

4nd July 2013

Dear Ed,

I said that I’d stay with you as general election co-ordinator within the Shadow Cabinet as long as I was useful. I think it would be a good idea for you, and me, if I stood down from the role now.

As you know, I offered my resignation on Tuesday and you asked me to reconsider. I’ve thought about it and still feel it is better for you and the future unity of the party that I go now. There are some who have not forgiven me for resigning in 2006. I fully accept the consequences of that decision and genuinely hope my departure allows the party to move on.

Yet it’s not the unattributed shadow cabinet briefings around the mess in Falkirk that has convinced me that the arrangement has run its course (though they don’t help). I believe that the report should be published – in full – and the whole truth told as soon as possible so that the record can be made clear. I’ve still not seen the report but believe there are an awful lot of spurious suppositions being written.

I wish to use the backbenches to speak out in areas of personal interest: open government and the surveillance state, the digital economy, drones and the future of conflict, the child abuse inquiries, the aftermath of the Murdoch scandal and grass roots responses to austerity.

Having resigned a couple of times before, I know how puckish lobby hacks might choose to misconstrue the departure. So to make it harder for them let me say this: I’m proud of your Buddha-like qualities of patience, deep thought, compassion and resolve. I remain your loyal servant. I’ll always be on hand to help you if you need me. I just don’t think you need me in the Shadow Cabinet any more. After nearly thirty years of this, I feel like I’ve seen the merry-go-round turn too many times. Whereas the Shadow Cabinet’s for people who still want to get dizzy.

You have it in you to be an outstanding Labour Prime Minister. The road ahead is always rocky but I will be with you all of the way, cheering you on from the backbenches. You’re my friend and leader, and I’m going to do all I can to make sure you win in 2015.

Here’s my parting thought:

John Humphrys asked me why you were not at Glastonbury this weekend. I said Labour leaders can’t be seen standing in muddy fields listening to bands. And then I thought how terribly sad that this is true. So: be that great Labour leader that you can be, but try to have a real life too. And if you want to see an awesome band, I recommend Drenge.

Yours sincerely,

Tom Watson

Member of Parliament for West Bromwich East

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdfZ2rhZmc

Drenge. Good band. Comments are highly amusing.

Here's to you, Mr. Watson. Raise a ruckus.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 5, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

No, who will protect Britain from the genetically-engineered shark people and keep us warm at night?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Young Freud posted:

No, who will protect Britain from the genetically-engineered shark people and keep us warm at night?

Still Tom loving Watson, he's just not the Labour campaign manager anymore

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM
Did we suddenly declare independence from somebody? I can't think why else a British Member of Parliament would refer to Thursday as anything other than 4th July 2013.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Iohannes posted:

Did we suddenly declare independence from somebody? I can't think why else a British Member of Parliament would refer to Thursday as anything other than 4th July 2013.

After Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman and Randy Quaid saved us from the aliens, we listened to Bill and the whole world celebrates our Independence Day.

They'd still be shite against genetically-engineered shark people though.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

rejutka posted:

After Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman and Randy Quaid saved us from the aliens, we listened to Bill and the whole world celebrates our Independence Day.

They'd still be shite against genetically-engineered shark people though.

This makes me wish desperately that Watson's resignation letter had just been the text from Bill Pulman's inspirational speech from ID4, completely unedited.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I like the "4nd of July" part myself.

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Stottie Kyek posted:

I like the "4nd of July" part myself.

Makes me suspect it was written on Tuesday.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Iohannes posted:

To be fair, ever since, the USA has gone around the world deposing other countries' leaders and installing their own if they don't like them, condemning drug use at home but exploits the increase in drug abuse elsewhere, enforcing its own ideals on other countries' governments, claiming territories for itself, using foreign countries' populations as sweatshop labour for their manufacturing and using its military might to maintain trade. We taught them so well. :britain:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Good morning. In less than an hour, union activists from here will join others from around Scotland. And you will be launching the largest doorstep battle in the history of Leftkind. "Leftkind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from Murdoch, Mandelson, or Lord Sainsbury... but from capitalism. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the Left declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest from my regular Hackgate contributor, looks like it could be an interesting Tuesday.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

So this article appeared...

"[BBC posted:

Press publish new watchdog details"]The newspaper and magazine industry has published details of how a new press watchdog, the Independent Press Standards Organisation, could operate.

A new industry-established regulator, to replace the Press Complaints Commission, was recommended by the Leveson Inquiry report on the press.

Politicians and the press are at odds over the details of a proposed royal charter to underpin the regulator.

Campaign group Hacked Off said the move was "a cynical rebranding exercise".

The publishers of the new plans said the regulator would be "a complete break with the past and will deliver all the key Leveson recommendations".

Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry was set up in July 2011 after it emerged journalists working for the now-defunct News of the World had hacked the mobile phone of murdered Surrey schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

'Systemic wrong-doing'
Plans in the Independent Press Standards Organisation draft constitution,which will be considered by more than 200 publishers before being finalised, include:
  • The power to impose £1m fines "for serious or systemic wrong-doing"
  • A whistleblowers' hotline for journalists
  • A warning service to alert the press "when members of the public make it clear that they do not wish to be the subject of media attention"
  • A standards and compliance arm "with investigative powers to call editors to account"
  • An arbitration service "to offer a speedy and inexpensive alternative to the libel courts, subject to the successful conclusion of a pilot scheme"
But Brian Cathcart, executive director of Hacked Off, which represents phone-hacking victims, said: "This is no more than a cynical rebranding exercise, the latest rearguard action by press proprietors and editors who want to defy the will of Parliament and of the Leveson Inquiry.

"They are determined to hold on to the power to bully the public without facing any consequences."

He added: "They have been told by Lord Justice Leveson and by Parliament that they must set up a self-regulator that meets basic standards of independence and effectiveness.

"What they are saying here is that they will not meet those standards but they will meet their own, which are appallingly low."

Key differences
The government's royal charter proposals on underpinning the regulator, which have cross-party backing, were published on 18 March.

Last week, Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed that a rival royal charter plan submitted by newspapers will be formally considered by the Privy Council before the government's own plans.

The BBC understands the council will not now make a decision until autumn at the earliest.

Lord Prescott has resigned from the Privy Council over the delays
Monday's statement stressed that "the establishment of the Independent Press Standards Organisation does not depend on approval of a royal charter".

"This is important as the royal charter approval process, which begins this week with the setting up of the Privy Council sub-committee announced by [Culture Secretary] Maria Miller, may take some months to complete.

"It is already eight months since Leveson delivered his report and the industry does not believe the public can be expected to wait longer before a new regulator is put in place."

There are a series of key differences between the industry's royal charter plan and that agreed by politicians and campaigners.

The newspapers' rival press royal charter would:
  • Remove a ban on peers and former editors serving on the newly-created "recognition panel", which will decide in future whether newspapers are being regulated properly
  • Remove Parliament's power to block or approve future changes to regulation. Instead the regulator, trade bodies and the recognition panel would have to agree to changes
  • Make it more difficult to bring group complaints
  • Give the regulator the power to "require", rather than "direct", the nature, extent and placement of corrections, and abandon the idea of giving it the power to force newspapers to publish apologies
At the weekend, Lord Prescott announced he had resigned from the Privy Council, saying the hold-up in changes to press regulation was a "political" choice that "borders on conspiracy".

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

5 people being charged relating to Operation Elveden

"[BBC posted:

Operation Elveden: Five including prison officer charged"]Five people, including a prison officer, are to be charged in a probe into the selling of information to journalists.

They include prison officer Scott Chapman, Mr Chapman's ex-partner Lynn Gaffney and journalists Lucy Panton, Thomas Savage and Chris Pharo.

It is alleged that Mr Chapman sold details about a high-profile prisoner.

The CPS said no further action would be taken relating to allegations against a journalist and three public officials.
It's tagged as breaking news so expect more info to appear shortly.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One thing to note in the BBC piece

quote:

Mr Chapman, a prison officer at HMP Woodhill, is alleged to have sold information to the News of the World, the Sun, the Daily Mirror, the Sunday Mirror, the People, the Daily Star and the Star on Sunday.
and

quote:

Former News of the World crime editor Lucy Panton and Daily Star on Sunday deputy news editor Thomas Savage will be charged with one count each of conspiring to commit misconduct in public office.
So now the Daily Star is dragged into the quagmire.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Oh happy days!

BBC Breaking News is that the Culture, Media and Sport Committee is recalling Rupert Murdoch to question him about the tape!

BBC article now up -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23239545

ukle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 9, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ukle posted:

Oh happy days!

BBC Breaking News is that the Culture, Media and Sport Committee is recalling Rupert Murdoch to question him about the tape!

BBC article now up -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23239545
Any idea when this will be? :getin:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

zylche posted:

Any idea when this will be? :getin:

I'm guessing attendees will be vigorously searched for custard.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm guessing attendees will be vigorously searched for custard.
He'll have no Deng to protect him now, he's vulnerable!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Remember, he doesn't have to turn up. But it may be bad PR to not.

Also the Met want the tape :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

thehustler posted:

Remember, he doesn't have to turn up. But it may be bad PR to not.

Also the Met want the tape :dance:

Channel 4 have given them the tape.

• Locked thread