Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midwat
May 6, 2007

haljordan posted:

I'm still waiting for a new edition of "Who's More Now?" assholes!

Maybe someone at ESPN realized that, immediately after that show ends, it becomes "Who Was More Then?" and that the now is forever beyond human perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
This is the first ESPN Body Issue that I have not personally known one of the subjects, and for that I am a little relieved. poo poo like that is a little bit awkward at first.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is the first ESPN Body Issue that I have not personally known one of the subjects, and for that I am a little relieved. poo poo like that is a little bit awkward at first.

Who did you personally know? Because that's a pretty long streak, no pun intended.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I can't say for reasons of employment. (SA is where I come to curse on the Internet and leave work behind.) But yeah, it is a bit weird.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I can't say for reasons of employment. (SA is where I come to curse on the Internet and leave work behind.) But yeah, it is a bit weird.

SID or journalist? :)

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

nasboat posted:

SID or journalist? :)

There are many careers in sports besides those two.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2013

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Actual thing: Patrick Hruby calls out the NFL on its attempt to ban academically ineligible players from the NFL Combine. I had no idea Rae Carruth double-majored in college.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ESPN's April-June primetime ratings are down some 32 percent from last year :stare:

http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-a...dium=socialflow

Maybe we're finally getting smarter. Or the Western Conference finals were a dud.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN's April-June primetime ratings are down some 32 percent from last year :stare:

http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-a...dium=socialflow

Maybe we're finally getting smarter. Or the Western Conference finals were a dud.
The only things I would have watched during that period are early round coverage of The Masters and US Open (golf). Their coverage of the French Open (tennis) was abysmal and the legendary semifinal between Djokovic and Nadal was on NBC.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Once again the Spurs have ruined the economy

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I think everybody knew what was going to happen in the WCF. Memphis kinda shot their entire load to beat OKC, and the Spurs were running like a well-oiled machine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Declan MacManus posted:

Once again the Spurs have ruined the economy

Stop sweeping teams :mad:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Its the most benign of things and basically not at all titillating. They're mostly in very specific poses that show off how much of athletic beasts they are. No big deal to me.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I know you probably didn't mean for this to happen but you dropping that line about "knowing" them and now making the claim that you can't say makes me hate you.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

soggybagel posted:

I know you probably didn't mean for this to happen but you dropping that line about "knowing" them and now making the claim that you can't say makes me hate you.

Understood. But if you knew one of these athletes dating back to, say, elementary school, or if you'd grown up with them...the Puritan awkwardness of Americans' relationship with nudity notwithstanding, it's a heck of a thing to stumble upon if you didn't know it was there. Genitalia or no.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Let's just say I know exactly what you're talking about because I'm friends with a very famous hollywood personality. But I don't dare say who it is because she or perhaps he would be angry as hell.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
You're drat right I would be.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As another person who knows people, I understand.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
MY GIRL CELEBRITY FRIEND

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

BasicFunk posted:

I think everybody knew what was going to happen in the WCF. Memphis kinda shot their entire load to beat OKC, and the Spurs were running like a well-oiled machine.

Yeah but their quarterly viewership was down 20 percent overall. This wasn't just a poor WCF. People are consistently watching less and less of ESPN.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Akileese posted:

Yeah but their quarterly viewership was down 20 percent overall. This wasn't just a poor WCF. People are consistently watching less and less of ESPN.

They blew their load with Tebow. I was at least willing to entertain some ESPN shows but it became Tebow 24/7 which was a nightmare, on the upside we got that hilarious Denver-Pittsburgh game though. THat owned.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Believe it or not, ESPN sent out a press release related to the ratings drop. They indeed blamed less Heat/Lakers/Celtics playoff games and a short Western Conference finals:

http://deadspin.com/espn-gets-defensive-about-ratings-drop-743950832

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That seems a tad....desperate especially from a huge network like ESPN.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
And it doesn't address the first quarter drop, when the NBA Playoffs haven't began.

So who's ready for Primetime First Take everyone?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Honestly why would I bother turning into ESPN now-a-days?

First Take, Colin Cowherd and the whole collection of "Debate shows" are awful. They don't present anything informative to me as a viewer, nor are the hosts likable/entertaining.

The Radio shows are either very boring or obnoxious.

Sportscenter has become more about featuring talent from above, discussing the NBA any chance it could get or discussing non-stories.

About the only thing that would make me really want to tune is if they were showing something with Bob Ley/Jeremy Schaap, a 30 for 30 special or a live broadcast.

I can get my NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL/Big Ten N/V from their respective networks, and the auto racing coverage seems to be great over on NBCSN (ESPN seems to think only NASCAR exists). If I want local sports coverage, I could either turn on the local talk radio station, or Sports Time Ohio.

I'm not sure this model ESPN is going to work for very much longer.

C. Everett Koop posted:

So who's ready for Primetime First Take everyone?

You may think you're joking, but they've seriously tried that. They literally thought a debate over Tim Tebow was worth an hour of air time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because you want to watch a game, presumably.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From what I understand, the vast, vast majority of their money comes from the subscription fees. I'm sure declining ratings hurt, but as long as they have a bunch of exclusive content they can strong-arm the cable companies into the fees.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

morestuff posted:

From what I understand, the vast, vast majority of their money comes from the subscription fees. I'm sure declining ratings hurt, but as long as they have a bunch of exclusive content they can strong-arm the cable companies into the fees.

I think the current amount ESPN gets for every person who can receive their channel is $4.69. That is worlds beyond any other network/channel.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ratings for pretty much everything are dropping, but sports are one of the few things that people still mostly watch live. ESPN's going to be in good shape as long as they continue to have the rights to a ton of games.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm sure it's not making up for such a large drop, but I'm sure a ton of live events are being watched through ESPN's various apps and websites.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

haljordan posted:

I think the current amount ESPN gets for every person who can receive their channel is $4.69. That is worlds beyond any other network/channel.

They also require ESPN2 and ESPN News to receive ESPN, which are also amongst the highest priced channels as well (as well as a bunch of other ABC properties that are in comparison so cheap as to be irrelevant compared to the monsters those three are).

I still watch ESPN for Highly Questionable (the most laid back and fun sports show with Bomani Jones), and I still enjoy ATH and PTI despite understanding their problems. I just generally ignore all other coverage of non-NFL sports, so it's nice to have a casual source of information about them.

I don't think ESPN will have any problems specific to itself, however the cable model as time progresses looks to have some questions to answer as it tries to draw in anyone our age who isn't a sports fan.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
ESPN/ABC's NBA contract is up in 2016 and with the emergence of Fox Sports 1, you have to wonder if one of the channel's big draws is in danger of leaving the network. If Fox is serious with this FS1 thing (which it appears they are), then they could throw an absurd amount of money for those NBA rights. If that happens, then it is time to panic.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ChampRamp posted:

ESPN/ABC's NBA contract is up in 2016 and with the emergence of Fox Sports 1, you have to wonder if one of the channel's big draws is in danger of leaving the network. If Fox is serious with this FS1 thing (which it appears they are), then they could throw an absurd amount of money for those NBA rights. If that happens, then it is time to panic.

I wish someone would pry away the College Football rights that ESPN has away from them.

FS1 is slowly doing that, but It'd be cool to see NBCSN throw their hat into the ring as well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

Their soccer coverage is pretty drat good. I'm looking forward to the new ESPN FC show.

We only got a couple more years of Ley and Ian Darke before FOX ruins the World Cup :sigh:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wish someone would pry away the College Football rights that ESPN has away from them.

FS1 is slowly doing that, but It'd be cool to see NBCSN throw their hat into the ring as well.

Yeah, I'm certain the college football games on FX will be moving to FS1, but the rights to the playoff games are secured by ESPN until 2026, so they'll be in control of the big games for quite some time. Would be cool to see it on Fox, though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If the Big 12 Were My Little Pony Characters

quote:

A whole lot of flash and explosions and a giant sense of self worth, the great and powerful Trixie is Twilight Sparkle's nemesis, and was responsible for temporarily banishing Twilight Sparkle from Ponyville (to the WAC), only for Twilight to come back more powerful than before and humiliate Trixie.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ESPN's coverage of college football has flaws, but I think it's the best thing they do and they handle it way better than any of the other networks. Fox is horrible at it. That period where they had rights to the non-Rose Bowl BCS games was pretty ugly (although it did spark Stanzi's love it or leave it thing, so that was fun)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ChampRamp posted:

Yeah, I'm certain the college football games on FX will be moving to FS1, but the rights to the playoff games are secured by ESPN until 2026, so they'll be in control of the big games for quite some time. Would be cool to see it on Fox, though.

Fox was pretty terrible when they had the BCS though. gently caress Thom Brennaman forever.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

ESPN's coverage of college football has flaws, but I think it's the best thing they do and they handle it way better than any of the other networks. Fox is horrible at it. That period where they had rights to the non-Rose Bowl BCS games was pretty ugly (although it did spark Stanzi's love it or leave it thing, so that was fun)

I think the drop in quality post-2005 is pretty evident, which is sad to say because I felt that around that period they had some drat good coverage of college football.

I find Herbstrait to be rather overrated, and I'm really saddened to see Brent Musburger become what's he become. I also find the shoe-horning of country music and dave matthews band to be down right terrible.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

I agree. Criticize ESPN for a bunch of things, but their game-time coverage of college sports is still basically the best of anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fox made the bad call of using NFL guys. I couldn't believe the commentators. Terry Bradshaw is too busy sleeping or watching NFL games to believably say "all season I've seen X from Texas."