Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Doctor Cave posted:

Anyone want to pre-order the new Titus Andronicus album? It comes out in November. 2014.
I guess that's one way to fund your recording sessions...

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm in a quandary, I've just received a somewhat rare truly "mint" record. Never even opened.

Sealed since 1959.

I would be very interested in listening to a mint condition record from 50+ years ago, and wouldn't hesitate to open it. But that's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just had a needle... assembly (stylus?) fall apart into three pieces when I was messing with it (it was so loose that it would push up into the housing and drag plastic on the record)

I assume it was either broken before or I broke it by popping the needle out, or is there a way to fix it? If not, what do I need to buy as a replacement? The cartridge is a Shure M95ED, so do I just search for replacement needles for that specifically or is this some kind of generic type?

edit: or maybe I just need to get a whole new cartridge.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 10, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

Ordered. Taking a punt as it sounds like something I would be way into. Here's hoping I score one of those David Lynch prints!

Your pre-order should have got you a mix tape you can download, which has "Last Night I Had A Dream" by Dumb Numbers on. I'm enjoying it, it's very dirgy and nice.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I don't usually jump on things like this, but this sounds way too cool to pass up, and I had to share. Seriously looking forward to this.

Dumb Numbers
https://soundcloud.com/joyful-noise-recordings/05-dumb-numbers-redrum

This sold out in no time.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

shmee posted:

Your pre-order should have got you a mix tape you can download, which has "Last Night I Had A Dream" by Dumb Numbers on. I'm enjoying it, it's very dirgy and nice.

Apparently I'm getting that mixtape on a cassette as well! :woop:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

Apparently I'm getting that mixtape on a cassette as well! :woop:

Me too, it's red or something like that. I can go with the Arab Strap tape I got with that "Scenes of a Sexual Nature" box set, as I have nothing that plays tapes any more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm in a quandary, I've just received a somewhat rare truly "mint" record. Never even opened.

Sealed since 1959.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet I know what it looks like and sounds like so I don't need to open it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zpJ1mg2-Eg
...but then what's the point of owning it. I've become one of THOSE people :psyduck:

BURN THE HERETIC!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

shmee posted:

Me too, it's red or something like that. I can go with the Arab Strap tape I got with that "Scenes of a Sexual Nature" box set, as I have nothing that plays tapes any more.
I'll probably end up trying to find a walkman or something so I can listen to it. Seriously haven't listened to a cassette since like 1996.

wa27 posted:

I just had a needle... assembly (stylus?) fall apart into three pieces when I was messing with it (it was so loose that it would push up into the housing and drag plastic on the record)

If that thing is as old as it looks, it could probably stand to be replaced anyway.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 10, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Bands/Labels and legitimate final shops like Rough Trade selling their own records at a huge mark-up on Discogs is absolutely bizarre.

And dickish as gently caress.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Bands/Labels and legitimate final shops like Rough Trade selling their own records at a huge mark-up on Discogs is absolutely bizarre.

It's not as bad as ticketmaster owning a ticket scalping website.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

No but seriously, gently caress ticketmaster.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Welp, I just got my setup done. Two pinoneer bookshelf speakers, a Realistic receiver from 1981, and a decent audio-technica TT. I broke it in with some Jefferson Airplane and a bit of Ladytron. :toot: Snagged a big Duke Ellington collection for 15 bucks from a used record shop. Any suggestions on what to pick up next equipment-wise? It sounds pretty drat good compared to what I used to have, but there's room for more.

I'm still pissed the movers stole some of my records (I used to own a lovely crosley, which I returned for obvious reasons). I can replace most of them, but the sentimental value being gone sucks. Also, the Tron: Legacy LP is stupid-expensive now for some loving reason. Only one I can't afford to get another copy of. Dammit.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Any suggestions on what to pick up next equipment-wise?

Congrats on the new setup! Few things are more satisfying than a comprehensive stereo upgrade. That said, any stereo system is only as good as its weakest link, and while I could be wrong*, it sounds like the weakest link in yours might be the speakers. If you want to use bookshelf speakers (or by "room," were you implying something larger?), the Paradigm Atoms are highly recommended by virtually everyone. The new ones (v.6 and above) are kind of expensive, but you can get a pair of v.5's and below for less than $100. They sound much bigger than they are, and are lots of fun. I used a pair of v.5's for several years until I upgraded my receiver, at which point the "speaker dragon"-chasing began once again.

Also, I just set up yet another vintage record-holding thing that I got at an antique mall on Sun. (and yes, my house is cluttered; I'll blame it on the 17-month-old). I should probably just get an Expedit or two, but I'm fine with my "records in/on various cabinets and shelves throughout the house" system. In fact, I kind of like it this way. And this might be my new favorite holder-thing.

* I don't know too much about Realistics, other than that I once had an amp and tuner that I sold on eBay for a pretty decent chunk of change. I remember them sounding good when I tested them, too, but I guess it can all depend on the individual model.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This sold out in no time.

Well, god drat it.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Them mc30s, cot damnn.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Honestly I'd rather a band or label do that than see a flipper make a huge profit. Still dickish though.

On the other side of that spectrum, but still kinda dickish, Touche Amore found someone flipping their newest 7" boxset on ebay so they personally did the "Buy it Now" option and are just refusing to pay or cancel their order. A couple weeks ago before the boxsets had even shipped someone had it listed on ebay, so they canceled his order.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

izationalizer posted:

Congrats on the new setup! Few things are more satisfying than a comprehensive stereo upgrade. That said, any stereo system is only as good as its weakest link, and while I could be wrong*, it sounds like the weakest link in yours might be the speakers. If you want to use bookshelf speakers (or by "room," were you implying something larger?), the Paradigm Atoms are highly recommended by virtually everyone. The new ones (v.6 and above) are kind of expensive, but you can get a pair of v.5's and below for less than $100. They sound much bigger than they are, and are lots of fun. I used a pair of v.5's for several years until I upgraded my receiver, at which point the "speaker dragon"-chasing began once again.

Also, I just set up yet another vintage record-holding thing that I got at an antique mall on Sun. (and yes, my house is cluttered; I'll blame it on the 17-month-old). I should probably just get an Expedit or two, but I'm fine with my "records in/on various cabinets and shelves throughout the house" system. In fact, I kind of like it this way. And this might be my new favorite holder-thing.

* I don't know too much about Realistics, other than that I once had an amp and tuner that I sold on eBay for a pretty decent chunk of change. I remember them sounding good when I tested them, too, but I guess it can all depend on the individual model.

It's a STA-21, according to the faceplate. Sorry for the lovely phone picture. :v: It seems solid as a rock, and it sounds pretty drat good to my novice ears. In any case it's a world of difference from that asstastic crosley I had so I don't regret it one bit. The speakers are out of the frame.

Currently it's in my living room but I may move it to my room later so I can listen to music without disturbing anyone else in the apartment. My room is pretty drat small, but the living room is decently sized. The speakers are currently on the floor as I couldn't afford to buy the nicer tall ones on stands, but I usually prop myself up against an armchair and chillax when listening to music anyway. Additional speakers and stands for all of them are definitely on the agenda at some point, though... and a replacement Tron Legacy soundtrack LP if I can find it for a price that isn't total horseshit :argh:

e: Also it's powered off, but the display is cool and glows a nice blue when turned on.

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 10, 2013

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Is that a turntable resting on a receiver resting on... an ottoman?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wilbur Swain posted:

Is that a turntable resting on a receiver resting on... an ottoman?

It's like a totem pole of bad decision making.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It's like a totem pole of bad decision making.

It's basically a storage box/table with leather on the outside that doubles as a bench, the lid hinges up. I had my father over the day I was setting it up as it's his birthday soon and he said he stacked it back in his day. I guess I'm doing it wrong, huh? :downs:

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 10, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It's basically a storage box/table with leather on the outside that doubles as a bench, the lid hinges up. I had my father over the day I was setting it up as it's his birthday soon and he said he stacked it back in his day. I guess I'm doing it wrong, huh? :downs:

The stacking isn't so much the problem (a lot of people will tell you to never stack anything, though I've stacked gear before and it's been fine- it totally depends on the heat output, structural strength, and ventilation requirements of your given piece of equipment), it's more that it looks like your bench is

1- not a particularly stable place for your gear (I could be wrong, assuming it's not padded).

2- a potential heat risk for your receiver (again, I could be wrong and maybe the picture isn't letting me see it- but you should have adequate airflow above, around, and- most importantly- underneath your receiver in order to prevent damage and/or a fire).

That said, I'd be wary of stacking anything on top of anything made before the mid-'80s as they tend to throw off a ton of heat, particularly out the top.

I've got a circa-1990 Nakamichi receiver that I (and my dad) have had no problem putting a turntable on top of because the thing barely gets warm, but I'd never dream of doing the same with my late-'70s Yamaha.

Edit: I looked at the picture again. At least get your gear off of that ottoman if you don't want to ruin it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 10, 2013

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
It's as stable as any table would be, the padding is maybe an eighth of an inch thick, no worse than a metal folding table with padding on top, but good point on the heat thing. I'll find a better thing to put that poo poo on that'll allow more circulation and be less of a risk. Thanks for the advice. I will freely admit I am new and dumb at this, so I appreciate the help.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's a STA-21, according to the faceplate. Sorry for the lovely phone picture. :v: It seems solid as a rock, and it sounds pretty drat good to my novice ears. In any case it's a world of difference from that asstastic crosley I had so I don't regret it one bit. The speakers are out of the frame.

Currently it's in my living room but I may move it to my room later so I can listen to music without disturbing anyone else in the apartment. My room is pretty drat small, but the living room is decently sized. The speakers are currently on the floor as I couldn't afford to buy the nicer tall ones on stands, but I usually prop myself up against an armchair and chillax when listening to music anyway. Additional speakers and stands for all of them are definitely on the agenda at some point, though... and a replacement Tron Legacy soundtrack LP if I can find it for a price that isn't total horseshit :argh:

e: Also it's powered off, but the display is cool and glows a nice blue when turned on.

I didn't realize Realistic made good looking receivers like that one. I always thought they were just a bad radioshack brand. My current amp is a tiny Realistic SA-10. It works surprisingly well for its size, at least for the volumes I listen at. I hate that it has two volume knobs though, one for each channel. Why would anybody ever want that instead of a balance knob?

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

wa27 posted:

I didn't realize Realistic made good looking receivers like that one. I always thought they were just a bad radioshack brand. My current amp is a tiny Realistic SA-10. It works surprisingly well for its size, at least for the volumes I listen at. I hate that it has two volume knobs though, one for each channel. Why would anybody ever want that instead of a balance knob?

When is your Realistic from? As I mentioned, mine's a 1981.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone here still do the Third Man Vault thing? Because the White Stripes live album they just sent out is loving awesome.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

wa27 posted:

I hate that it has two volume knobs though, one for each channel. Why would anybody ever want that instead of a balance knob?

I'm with you there. I guess there would be more potential for L-R balance nuance, but I'm not sure why anyone would bother to gently caress with it. My amp is the same way, although I also have a preamp with standard volume and balance knobs. Really, as you undoubtedly know, a receiver is just an amp, preamp, and tuner crammed into one box, which is why separate components are, in theory, better-sounding... although that is far from universal in practice. I'd take certain Sansui/Marantz/McIntosh receivers over plenty of separates out there.

I've been reading about both Realistic models on Audio Karma, and they both seem to garner positive reviews, despite their relatively low wattage. I'd take a nice sounding, low wattage amp/receiver over a crappy sounding high wattage unit--like the mini-system I had in high school--any day. So, nice scores.

JehovahsWetness posted:

Them mc30s, cot damnn.

Heh, you've probably been reading the vintage stereo thread, too! Anyway, I've never even plugged them in or bought tubes for them; I'm waiting until I have the money to refurbish them first. The good thing about the new record holder-thing is that they now have a proper place to sit and display their prettiness.

e: Fixed to avoid accidentally stating the excessively obvious due to lack of reading comprehension on my part, even though some of it might still be pretty obvious.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 10, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone here still do the Third Man Vault thing? Because the White Stripes live album they just sent out is loving awesome.

This reminds me to reregister for the Willy Nelson package.

Haven't received the new Stripes package yet.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I feel like we've harped on about the ottoman enough, but I thought I should add that record players need to be level, like crack out the spirit-level flat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If that thing is as old as it looks, it could probably stand to be replaced anyway.

No. Age doesn't come into it really. The only thing that really ages is the bit that broke off - the suspension was obviously long gone. A new stylus assembly will replace all the bits that wear.

Of course one might want to replace it for other reasons but not because of age.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wa27 posted:

I assume it was either broken before or I broke it by popping the needle out, or is there a way to fix it? If not, what do I need to buy as a replacement? The cartridge is a Shure M95ED, so do I just search for replacement needles for that specifically or is this some kind of generic type?

edit: or maybe I just need to get a whole new cartridge.

There's really no reason to replace the cart unless you specifically want to spend money. A lot of Shure cartridge bodies will take replacement styli meant for other models (since a lot of the bodies are only cosmetically different) but there should be plenty available for your cart specifically (at around 20-25€) though probably after-market ones. The M95ED is supposedly not a bad pick-up at all - I don't have one myself but I've used a lot of old ('70s) Shures with new needles without problems.

Just put 'shure m95ed stylus' in Google and you'll probably find what you need.

e: The regular stylus should be OK but you can also get fancier ones like the M95HE (hyper elliptical) if you like.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 11, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

I don't usually jump on things like this, but this sounds way too cool to pass up, and I had to share. Seriously looking forward to this.

Dumb Numbers
https://soundcloud.com/joyful-noise-recordings/05-dumb-numbers-redrum

Awesome to see a record coming out that isn't $30 just because of the names on it and LIMITED EDITION BUY BUY BUY!

I'm kicking myself for not checking Dumb Numbers out sooner, this sounds like it will be awesome and getting my hands on a signed copy would have been tits. Buying this immediately.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Well, I got my first turntable a month or so ago and it's been lots of fun going to record shops and boot fairs looking for bargains, though I think I need to stop buying records that are slowly causing me to get brain damage ...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Dude, records are awesome never stop buying them. I think I'm dj'ing a 45 set for part of a soul/funk night in a couple weeks, too? So there's even practical applications for what is otherwise a giant rear end waste of time.

Also a record picture.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

landofcake posted:

Well, I got my first turntable a month or so ago and it's been lots of fun going to record shops and boot fairs looking for bargains, though I think I need to stop buying records that are slowly causing me to get brain damage ...

Is that Ed Gein?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

landofcake posted:

Nice Brainbombs! I have the reish of that from a few years ago (the one with the black and grey cover). And yeah, they just get locked into a grisly, catchy riff and piledrive it into your cranium until the connections between your brain hemispheres start to short circuit. Love the lyrics, too; I probably couldn't tolerate them if they weren't obviously tongue-in-cheek, but I think they are. Eating babies alive and raping/shooting women and whatnot. "Hey baby, you look a little pale...." So hosed up. In any case, I think I might like the "Burning Hell" LP the best. That's the only Brainbombs I have an original of.

e: And yeah, I believe that is Ed Gein. Fitting for Brainbombs, though.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 13, 2013

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I've decided that the only way to listen to this album is to take off all your clothes, cover yourself in oil and/or blood and just writhe around the room like Martin Sheen in the first scene of Apoclaypse Now.

Also, for some reason, this record came with a little card that has a picture of King Buzzo on it and simply says "Heavy poo poo." in big letters. On that note, I WISH Melvins records weren't so expensive. :(

landofcake fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 13, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Found a couple of really nice things today.

The album on the left is something I've been looking for, for a long, long time, it's a Heinz Kiessling Orchestra album. This album along with a couple of others from the same orchestra (Magic Violins, That's Music, Coloured Strings) form the basis of a collection of very well known library music that has been used for many years. The most well known current usage of the set is on the TV series It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. The record store dates when the record was priced and placed on the shelves, this one has been waiting for me since 1993. I guess there's not too many vintage library (not KPM) collectors in my city.

As with many library tracks, the titles are frequently changed through buy-outs, acquisitions, or just for the hell of it. This is the last track of side 1, called "Ici Paris" It's now called "Grand Central" apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvQ7m4p1VQ

The one on the right is a Bruton disc, and unlike most other Bruton I have it's actual strings rather than electronic and it's very nice indeed. Great scores, both were had for a few dollars.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

If anyone has just a passing interest in afrobeat, I highly recommend the Fela box sets that Knitting Factory Records has been slowly rolling out over the past three years (there are only two so far, but the first one is already OOP, I believe). The first one was compiled by ?uestlove, and the second by Ginger Baker. Anyway, all of the original art is recreated to absolutely precise detail, down to the original center labels on each record. On top of that, they all sound loving fantastic; well worth $100 for six Fela records, especially when originals are few and far between. I'm still waiting for "Zombie" to get a repress though!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

1000 umbrellas posted:

If anyone has just a passing interest in afrobeat, I highly recommend the Fela box sets that Knitting Factory Records has been slowly rolling out over the past three years (there are only two so far, but the first one is already OOP, I believe). The first one was compiled by ?uestlove, and the second by Ginger Baker. Anyway, all of the original art is recreated to absolutely precise detail, down to the original center labels on each record. On top of that, they all sound loving fantastic; well worth $100 for six Fela records, especially when originals are few and far between. I'm still waiting for "Zombie" to get a repress though!

I loving need this. Now I know what I'm spending my record budget on in August. :toot:

Edit: Dammit, looks like the only way to get box set #1 these days is by shelling out ~$300 for a reseller's copy. So much for that, I guess... :(

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I loving need this. Now I know what I'm spending my record budget on in August. :toot:

Edit: Dammit, looks like the only way to get box set #1 these days is by shelling out ~$300 for a reseller's copy. So much for that, I guess... :(

Yeah, I saw that #1 had gone out of print when I was flip-flopping on picking up #2 and decided that it was well worth the cash to pick it up before it disappears too.