Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Many people are super nosy and bossy when it comes to other people's family planning decisions. It's obnoxious. When I found out our second child was a girl, several people were all "oh, that's perfect, now you won't need to have a third child". Um, ok. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Many people are super nosy and bossy when it comes to other people's family planning decisions. It's obnoxious. When I found out our second child was a girl, several people were all "oh, that's perfect, now you won't need to have a third child". Um, ok. :confused:

When we found out our third was another boy I actually had people say 'Oh well, nevermind'.

You get the threads in EN sometimes about how annoying it is telling people you don't want kids and having them question their choice. They don't realise that it carries on regardless of what you choose.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

rectal cushion posted:

hookerbot 5000 posted:

When we found out our third was another boy I actually had people say 'Oh well, nevermind'.

Wow that's pretty messed up. "Oh it's another boy/girl? Welp, that sucks, better luck next time" Lol

I have a boy for my first and although I think it would be cool to have a girl too, I really would just as much love to have another boy. Honestly, if I have 5 kids and they were all boys, I would think that is pretty awesome as well. A whole heard of boys and my husband and my boy dogs and me being the matriarch of all! :black101:

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

We got the same thing as rectal cushion. "Oh, you have a boy and a girl, now you can stop having kids!" Err...thanks?

I can tell you what our thought process was behind wanting to have at least two kids. At first, we thought maybe our oldest would be an only child, but then I read an article (I think based on a segment on NPR) about a woman who, in her 40s or so, had dealt with both of her parents dying within a few months of each other. She soldiered through their funerals and the various arrangements and decisions that had to be made, but after the dust had settled, she fell into a very deep depression. The realization hit her that she was very much alone now, and furthermore, there was nobody who could share with her the memories she had of her parents throughout her earlier life. Nobody who was there living in the same house with her growing up to reminisce with her. She said that previously she had gotten used to being an only child, and had sort of gotten over the desire for a sibling, but that now she couldn't help but wish wholeheartedly that she had one.

Recently, I saw this in action. My maternal grandmother passed away, and I watched my mother and her brothers dealing with her sudden injury (she passed from brain trauma associated with a fall) and death, and I watched how much they relied on each other to make it through. I would not want my child to be alone in dealing with my death or my husband's death.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Thanks for the placenta previa feedback, I appreciate it. The other baby boards online are scary with the baby dust and endless acronyms.

nyerf posted:

I can add our thoughts on the maybe-baby issue; I'm 29 myself and am not particularly convinced that fertility-wise we have "plenty of time", mostly because of the journal articles I've read. That's a worry for me, and leans my thinking heavily in the 'now (or sometime drat soon!) or never' direction. Generally speaking, if you can get your pregnancy/-ies out of the way by your mid-thirties you're much less likely to need assisted reproductive technology to intervene, IVF and the like. Realistically that's a few very short years left for me. Too short. Having said that, I don't have proven fertility to begin with anyway--I've never been pregnant, never had a pregnancy scare, and my fiance has never had a kid or a pregnancy scare either so the age thing is probably moot. But if I could put off the decision for another 5 years before coming back to this 'now-or-never' point, I drat well would. If only to be 24 again, I sometimes think.

I agree with you, in my twenties I always kept in mind I wanted to be done having kids by 35. There was always some reason we were waiting; career, moving, etc. Last year I turned 31 and I waited because I had specific fitness goals I wanted to hit first. I jogged every day, logged every calorie. Then right around Christmas it hit me, I'd been with my husband for years, I'd had many years to consider the what-if scenarios and my timing was never going to be perfect. My body was never going to be perfect. One day I just kind of let those things go, turned to my husband and told him I was ready to have kids if he was. Thankfully we didn't have fertility issues and now my thoughts have turned to trying to get through the pregnancy and the newborn timeframe. I think deciding to have a kid is kind of like stepping into the void, I did eventually decide to do it but I understand those that decide not to.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Amelia Song posted:

We got the same thing as rectal cushion. "Oh, you have a boy and a girl, now you can stop having kids!" Err...thanks?

I can tell you what our thought process was behind wanting to have at least two kids. At first, we thought maybe our oldest would be an only child, but then I read an article (I think based on a segment on NPR) about a woman who, in her 40s or so, had dealt with both of her parents dying within a few months of each other. She soldiered through their funerals and the various arrangements and decisions that had to be made, but after the dust had settled, she fell into a very deep depression. The realization hit her that she was very much alone now, and furthermore, there was nobody who could share with her the memories she had of her parents throughout her earlier life. Nobody who was there living in the same house with her growing up to reminisce with her. She said that previously she had gotten used to being an only child, and had sort of gotten over the desire for a sibling, but that now she couldn't help but wish wholeheartedly that she had one.

Recently, I saw this in action. My maternal grandmother passed away, and I watched my mother and her brothers dealing with her sudden injury (she passed from brain trauma associated with a fall) and death, and I watched how much they relied on each other to make it through. I would not want my child to be alone in dealing with my death or my husband's death.

Maybe it's because my experiences with people with siblings are different, too. My parents both have two (my dad has two brothers and my mother has two sisters - how weird), and they love them of course, but especially when my dad's parents passed away, one of his brother's made the whole situation much MUCH harder than it would've been without him involved. My dad reminisces to me about his childhood, and I know it's not the same as being able to say "Hey, remember when ---?" to someone who was actually there, but I don't think he actually struggled any more than you would expect someone to when a parent dies. My mom's parents are still around, but there will be issues there too when things come to that point. Maybe later in life I'll feel different... I'd be devastated to lose either of my parents, obviously even more so if I lost both, but I'm lucky that my husband and I are close with them, and I know he could be all the support I'd need.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Thanks for all the replies, people. I wasn't trying to be obnoxious, I swear. I just sometimes feel like if we are going to do it, we should do it soon. But I don't feel ready at all, and my husband has repeatedly said if we never have them, he's OK with that (but he'd also be happy if I did get pregnant someday, so I guess he's just ambivalent). So thankfully it isn't a deal breaker for us!

rectal cushion posted:

You know, this is really obnoxious in the military community. Most of the other Army wives already have like herds of children by age 22 or something ridiculous. I've been wanting to make wife friends, but then at an event I went to I was literally grilled by them on why I don't have kids yet, which is slightly uncomfortable when you've known someone for 30 seconds. That being said, a lot of the wives gave up careers to move around with their husband for the military and stuff, so they all had kids since they didn't have jobs so it made sense for them. For me though, having a job > having a baby. Yes, you can do both, but then I'm back to my original point about essentially working to put him/her in daycare, and then I'm basically negating my paycheck, and...back to square one I am (no judgement at all of course, on moms who do go back to work right away and pay for daycare!). But I really do get sick of constantly defending myself about why I haven't had a baby yet.

Thankfully my dad has left me alone, and my husband's family is pretty, um, non-traditional, so they don't seem to care. Honestly, since my mom died last year a lot of the desire went away too. She would've been an awesome grandmother but if we have a kid they won't ever know her. She didn't even get to meet my husband because I didn't even know he existed yet at the time she died. On my husband's side, his bio-dad isn't someone I would want my kids around (think hoarding, drug problems, severe depression that he refuses to get help for, etc.) and his mom died when he was 12, so no grandmother on that side either. It feels like we would be our kids only real relatives, which is kind of sad. :(

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was fitting for this conversation.

Unfortunately, it never ends, regardless of where you are in life.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

That being said, a lot of the wives gave up careers to move around with their husband for the military and stuff, so they all had kids since they didn't have jobs so it made sense for them. For me though, having a job > having a baby. Yes, you can do both, but then I'm back to my original point about essentially working to put him/her in daycare, and then I'm basically negating my paycheck, and...back to square one I am (no judgement at all of course, on moms who do go back to work right away and pay for daycare!). But I really do get sick of constantly defending myself about why I haven't had a baby yet.

Army wives can be awesome, or freaking weird. I'm not one myself, but I had a couple good friends when I was younger who married into the military, and a work friend who did as well. Not a single one of them hasn't become completely insane, basically. One is still cute and sweet and has had four kids in three years, the others are on their second (or third, or more) marriages and either desperate to have kids or desperate to get divorced. It's bizarre. But! having said that, I'm fully planning on going back to work right away after our son is born, and not just to pay for daycare. It's good for my sanity, too, I think. I would make a really miserable housewife.

It's a shame about your grand/parent situation, I can totally understand where that would affect your desire to have kids. We have a great support network and I don't know what I'd do without my parents and my in-laws, but I'm relying on friends for support too. People you never expected it from will surprise you with baby enthusiasm if y'all ever decide to have kids, believe me.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Army wives can be awesome, or freaking weird. I'm not one myself, but I had a couple good friends when I was younger who married into the military, and a work friend who did as well. Not a single one of them hasn't become completely insane, basically. One is still cute and sweet and has had four kids in three years, the others are on their second (or third, or more) marriages and either desperate to have kids or desperate to get divorced. It's bizarre. But! having said that, I'm fully planning on going back to work right away after our son is born, and not just to pay for daycare. It's good for my sanity, too, I think. I would make a really miserable housewife.

It's a shame about your grand/parent situation, I can totally understand where that would affect your desire to have kids. We have a great support network and I don't know what I'd do without my parents and my in-laws, but I'm relying on friends for support too. People you never expected it from will surprise you with baby enthusiasm if y'all ever decide to have kids, believe me.

Thanks! :) I do think we will be ready eventually. I think that I, myself, just need to come to terms with our extended family situation, and really feel prepared to stay home for a few years. I love working, but I'm in a situation where day care would negate most of my check, so I would rather stay home.

I've pretty much stuck with my friends that I made outside of the Army circle, because whether they have kids or not, they're not making me feel like an outcast because I haven't had one yet. :)

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Dr. Octagon posted:

I'd be really interested to see the sources that led you to this conclusion. I've not come across evidence of this in the OB/GYN journals I've seen and read. To my knowledge, there isn't a whole lot of research on CDMR because it simply hasn't been an option for very long (and still isn't, for many women), and the outcomes for babies and mothers delivered/delivering via c-section writ large are comparable with or less favorable than vaginal deliveries - especially when it comes to subsequent pregnancies/deliveries. Moreover, it would seem extraordinarily difficult or even impossible to establish a causative link between elective c-section and positive neonatal and maternal outcomes, considering the socioeconomic status of women to whom it is even presented as an option.
I pulled one up before with my last pregnancy - study out of UBC that utilized breech as a stand-in for CDMR, because you're totally right - this hasn't been an option for very long (not to mention, having surgery now or having surgery in the 80s is a totally different ballgame), and you are going to have a huge difference in socio-economic status (similar to breastfeeding, maybe?) Let's face it, if you're in the States (or anywhere without socialized health care), chances are, the women getting CDMR aren't the ones who accidentally got pregnant and then couldn't afford prenatal care and maybe had some other social issues which could impact their health. When I went in for the pre-counseling which was required at my hospital, they try not to use American studies because the healthcare system is so different.

I don't have the unlimited journal subscription access I did before, but I'll take a look and see if someone can pull up one of the pdfs for me. I want to say that the largest-scale one was done in 2010. I haven't looked at anything that may have come up in the last two years, though I know there was one out of Australia that was in the recruitment phase recently.

ETA: Some random links, unsure what sort of access you have:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/medline/pmid;19941705 (sub of breech babies, though undoubtedly a cephalicp resentation is more straightforward with less complications, they still fared better.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17011400
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20235001 - this addresses maternal outcomes

I also just saw your comment in the above about subsequent pregnancies/deliveries - yes, a CDMR/MRCS would be contraindicated where a larger family is desired, I don't think anyone argues that.

rectal cushion posted:

edit: ChloroformSeduction, what is ICAN?
International Caesarean Awareness Network

C-section rate in the US is about 30% - actually about the same as rates in other developed countries. China and Italy are higher at 40%+. The problem is that you CAN'T know if a woman could have had a safe VB, there are risks either way. Mortality rates with c-sections are about 30% higher than VB, but it's really difficult to compare when the c-section group contains a lot of women who are sick or have serious medical issues. The rate of c-sections has increased something like four-fold since the 70s, but we have better technology to monitor babies and mothers, too, so more problems are being caught before they can turn into huge issues.

Anyway I just think it's weird that people vilify c-sections and women who have them. It's your body, your baby, so do whatever.
Pretty much exactly this. The only way to find out how many CS's are absolutely necessary would be to either 1. Build a time machine, or 2. Just not do any and keep a tally.

I only compared huge countries like the US, UK, and China, so you've got me there. Lots of smaller countries have much more focused, developed healthcare systems, and fewer c-sections.
It's interesting too, because the US does not have a homogenous population. For some reason, mortality rates associated with maternity are higher in African American populations, then there's the always cited "obesity epidemic", the prenatal care is kind of a crapshoot depending on how able you are to access it... it's really, really hard to compare any aspect of US healthcare with those of other countries.

nyerf posted:

And for clarification, is everyone saying that the 'sexual dysfunction' aspect that lasts well after a vaginal delivery basically refer to potentially having a stretchier, looser vaginal vault? Obviously tears/fissures can be very painful during intercourse, and pelvic floor weakness/dysruption leading to incontinence/prolapses would be awful (not to mention the horror of any vaginal/bladder/rectal fistulae), but I just wanted to be clear that that's the main thing. How much of the laxity is directly from birth trauma, and how much from the influence of hormones in the final weeks before parturition, does anyone know? Because if it's the latter, then technically you're stuffed either way. I wonder if anyone's been game enough to do a study testing pelvic floor muscle clenching strength (maybe with a Kegel-sizer type implement as the measuring instrument) post vaginal deliveries and comparing the results of pelvic floor rehab for improving symptoms of incontinence/'sexual dysfunction'.
For myself (I don't know which definition others would be using), I'm referring to trauma resulting from delivery, since that's generally what I've seen people have the most problems with. I would think that for general laxity, that would be better addressed with Kegels, etc. There seems to be some issues that you can't avoid regardless of which delivery method you choose/require, and seem to be mainly your luck of the draw with genetics. Also, something like a third or fourth degree tear which impacts your anal sphincter would also have an impact on sexual function, simply due to the psychological stresses it would present.

ETA: Aw, I have a custom title!

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 12, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ChloroformSeduction posted:

When I went in for the pre-counseling which was required at my hospital, they try not to use American studies because the healthcare system is so different.

I did A LOT of research on breech births vs cesarian, and one researched stated that Norwegian statistics were useless for international studies, because our infant mortality is so low that vaginal breech birth here is still safer than normal vaginal birth almost anywhere else.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

I did A LOT of research on breech births vs cesarian, and one researched stated that Norwegian statistics were useless for international studies, because our infant mortality is so low that vaginal breech birth here is still safer than normal vaginal birth almost anywhere else.

We sure know our buttbabbies :norway:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
If it isn't one loving thing, it's another. I've gotten my glucose meter and can pretty happily keep my blood sugar within range. I just can't eat the third of a plate of starch/bread that the dietician wants.

But I did a 24 hour urine collection and I've got more than twice the white blood cells that I should. I have no idea what could be wrong (not a UTI, as far as I know). This poor baby is hosed, isn't it?

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Molly Bloom posted:

If it isn't one loving thing, it's another. I've gotten my glucose meter and can pretty happily keep my blood sugar within range. I just can't eat the third of a plate of starch/bread that the dietician wants.

But I did a 24 hour urine collection and I've got more than twice the white blood cells that I should. I have no idea what could be wrong (not a UTI, as far as I know). This poor baby is hosed, isn't it?

Your baby is fine! My doc's thought I have a UTI for literally my entire pregnancy. I don't, I haven't at any point, but I'll keep peeing in a cup if they want.

I'm kind of flipping out about my GD test. It's next week. I haven't gained much (I lost ~20 lbs until month 6 when I finally started putting weight back on), I eat healthy, I'm paranoid anyway. On the plus side, my husband got kicked by our baby for the first time! Here's to many future kickings.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I had high white blood cells for almost all my checkups for both pregnancies. They always sent them for further cultures but it was never an infection. My doctor said some women just are that way when pregnant.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I didn't take my Zofran this morning. I decided to "experiment". It felt like it was the Zofran not settling in my stomach that was causing all sorts of morning mayhem, not the other way around.

The experiment lasted about 2 hours. Turns out that without it, I'm literally not holding anything down. Not water, not food, not gatorade or saltines. Nada. The nausea was so bad it made my skin crawl and toes curl.

Of course, since I took it two hours late this morning, I'm sitting at my desk, staring at programming code, drooling because I'm three fourths asleep and going down fast. Usually I take it a half hour before I get in the shower, then sorta float through the morning routine. By the time I get to work, I'm pretty well ready to take on the day.

Oh well! Live and learn. That's why it was called an experiment.

jota23 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 11, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

jota23 posted:

I didn't take my Zofran this morning. I decided to "experiment". It felt like it was the Zofran not settling in my stomach that was causing all sorts of morning mayhem, not the other way around.

I do the same thing every time I run out of Prilosec. Now I feel like I'm back in the first trimester with constant nausea.

And now I've just realized what I was forgetting at the store this morning!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, it's official. Sadly I couldn't go to the goddamn doctor's appointment with the wife, but we're 6 weeks in. Too early to celebrate yet, but supposedly the dot has a heartbeat. Current due date is early March.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Well, it's official. Sadly I couldn't go to the goddamn doctor's appointment with the wife, but we're 6 weeks in. Too early to celebrate yet, but supposedly the dot has a heartbeat. Current due date is early March.

Congrats Gothmog!

We are at 7 weeks here in the Clarice houseehold. Yay March!

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
I just wanted to drop in and say a huge THANK YOU to every one who encouraged me to keep trying to nurse my super stubborn son.

I took a combination of advice: I took a few days off to give us both a break, I kept pumping and didn't stress about it until we got to 6 weeks (last Sunday) and then, planned a day where I just did not offer the bottle at all. It was Nipple or Nothing Day. And holy crap, it worked! He still fusses sometimes at first, but we have gone the whole day on nothing but breast milk, straight from the boob! He's like an entirely different baby. People weren't lying when they said that things can get easier at 6 weeks. I was expecting hours of screaming and a starving infant, but nope. I am still using a nipple shield, but I figure we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I want to get nursing down first, then we can work on getting rid of that later.

So thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your support, advice and encouragement! We would not be here without it!

(Also, I had GD for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and I ended up having to give myself insulin. If anyone has any questions or whatever, I may have some answers or insight for those of you dealing with it too)

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Sockmuppet posted:

That sounds really familiar - I know here they try and use the NHS and whatever the Australian system is (though they're still different, since I believe that private is an option in those countries, unlike Canada, but it's a better jumping off point.)

There was also something about country of origin, so immigrant women, while faring better in Norway than they would in their home countries, still had different outcomes than women who were born in Norway. I think it was more of a difference if you came from somewhere where the rates were drastically different (like Somalia), but I don't know if the difference went away within one generation or not?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

SpazForPickles posted:

(Also, I had GD for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and I ended up having to give myself insulin. If anyone has any questions or whatever, I may have some answers or insight for those of you dealing with it too)

I actually think I've lucked out on the GD- after all the fasting blood sugars of 1,0, 1,05 or so, my morning stick has come back at between 77-83 since I got the monitor. I really just can't eat the amount of bread that they said I could (you can tell it's France, because my diet sheet actually says '1/4 baguette' at breakfast). My following that bit of advice was the only thing that's knocked me over 1.25 post-meal.

I still kind of worry that baby's not getting quite enough, as the heat's killing my appetite and I can't eat a few of the things I really, really want.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Yay Spaz! As a mom of a fellow stubborn breastfeeding boy I know your pain...but it's worth it when you keep going and they figure it out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
That's awesome news Spaz, good on you for persevering :)

I'm presently at the 21 week mark. Crumpet is kicking, a lot. I've still got morning sickness (I have given up hope of it stopping) as well as reflux, acne, excessive tiredness, nose bleeds and back pain. But my latest joyful pregnancy symptom is that it appears that the arches in my feet have collapsed and I can't seem to stand for more than 20 mins at a time. Is there anything I can do to ease this?

I feel like the biggest whinger and that I should just harden the gently caress up :( I'm honestly a bit scared of the 3rd trimester because I kept hearing the 2nd one is usually the time when you get a bit of a break but for me that just hasn't happened. :ohdear:

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

bee posted:

That's awesome news Spaz, good on you for persevering :)

I'm presently at the 21 week mark. Crumpet is kicking, a lot. I've still got morning sickness (I have given up hope of it stopping) as well as reflux, acne, excessive tiredness, nose bleeds and back pain. But my latest joyful pregnancy symptom is that it appears that the arches in my feet have collapsed and I can't seem to stand for more than 20 mins at a time. Is there anything I can do to ease this?

I feel like the biggest whinger and that I should just harden the gently caress up :( I'm honestly a bit scared of the 3rd trimester because I kept hearing the 2nd one is usually the time when you get a bit of a break but for me that just hasn't happened. :ohdear:

28 weeks and no break yet! I was able to sleep better for a week, though... like a month ago. The acne/horrible skin just kicked into gear, the reflux and back pain and sleep issues never really went away. I have high arches and foot problems anyway, but we bought one of those cushy restaurant-style kitchen mats (in fact, a Wellness mat just like http://tinyurl.com/mhgtams on Amazon) and it has made a HUGE difference in my feet/ankles/knees when I'm up cooking. I have a ton of hip pain as well and the only thing that really makes a difference is to sit in a firm, straight-backed chair - like a dining chair.

Just remember you're 2/3 of the way there, basically! Whenever things get really lovely I remind myself that it's almost done, and I'll only experience all this horribleness once.

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
Hate to tell you Bee but with my son I was sick until at least 20 weeks, then once that abated I still continued to just feel like crap until after I delivered so I never got that "honeymoon" phase in my second trimester.
-However- I did find out that it's not always true that morning sickness is the same/worse with subsequent pregnancies. I'm 15 weeks today and I haven't puked in a few weeks and already have a ton more energy than the last go. I just remember being so scared that the second time would be worse than the first and worrying that I couldn't handle it, but at least for me this time around has been so much easier and more enjoyable.

The Grumpy Snail
Feb 15, 2012
bee, you could try replacing your shoes' insoles with insoles with arch support. I wear Spenco brand flip flops around the clock at home and the insoles in my tennis shoes everywhere else. I can't go barefoot for extended periods of time. These have helped greatly!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Trying to get my wife in here to post herself as she has a forums account.

Right now she's having issues where she'll be hungry, take a few bites then say she's getting nauseated, I think I read this is somewhat normal. Is there a point I should be ushering her to a doctor? Sometimes she's worse than than a "typical guy" about going to a doctor.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Right now she's having issues where she'll be hungry, take a few bites then say she's getting nauseated, I think I read this is somewhat normal. Is there a point I should be ushering her to a doctor? Sometimes she's worse than than a "typical guy" about going to a doctor.

Yup, sounds pretty normal :)

Ginger sometimes works, or really just grazing through the day rather than large meals.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Ginger sometimes works
I'm a big fan of ginger for fighting nausea. I use it on the occasional trip where I may get travel sick (boats and planes), and - more relevantly - my other half has taken ginger both times to help with morning sickness (we're currently at 36 weeks with the second).

Fancy ginger infused tea has been her usual way of taking it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I had morning sickness bad enough for medication until 20 weeks, then was able to wean off it. Halfway through the second trimester pregnancy still sucked pretty badly and I thought the third trimester would be terrible. It actually wound up being fine and was probably my favorite portion of the pregnancy. I did not end up feeling done with being pregnant until a day or so before my due date (which is when I went into labor). I had rib and mid back pain, and pretty terrible acid reflux, but otherwise I felt pretty good right up until when I had the baby.

Definitely get some flip flops and don't spend time barefoot though. Barefoot plus hard floors was horrible for my back with the extra weight you carry during pregnancy. If I wore flip flops instead of going barefoot I was fine.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

This was me exactly. I only ever threw up once but there was a ton of nausea and general food aversions. Especially after cooking dinner, I'd be so inundated with smells that by the time it came to sit down and eat I couldn't stand more than a few bites. Snacking on crackers is fine and all but after a while you get desperate for some actual food! What worked for me was just giving in to whatever sounded non-nauseating at the time; if I really wanted a pizza then we scrapped dinner and had pizza that night.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
What your wife is going through sounds perfectly normal as far as pregnancy nausea is concerned. Mine really fluctuates quite a bit. Some days I'll be overwhelmed by smells and not feel like eating at all, but I know if my stomach gets completely empty then I get even more ill so I'll force myself to eat something. Sometimes I don't feel too bad so I'll try to eat as healthy a meal as possible and after a few bites I'll start feeling sick again. Some days I feel absolutely green and eating a few crackers makes me feel much better for the next hour or so. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for it, as far as the doctor is concerned I wouldn't bother trying to get her to go unless she's not keeping down any food at all, or unless she was getting dehydrated.

Eta: Thanks Ceridwen and Grumpy Snail for the tips! That's encouraging to know. I think I'm maybe just feeling a bit burned out.

bee fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 13, 2013

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Anyone interested in 18 newborn cloth diapers? Kawaii little green baby bamboo in the striped colors. Black, blue and green. http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/little-green-baby-bamboo-6-22-lbs/

I used them from 2-5 months and now he's in his one size diapers. The velcro laundry tabs don't really stick that well anymore. I just stick the velcro to the the normal tab when I launder them. I'd let them go for cheap.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 16, 2013

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
My wife and I are currently trying for our first child. She has now had two miscarriages. The first one occurred pretty early, around 6 weeks or so. This last one was at about 10 weeks just a few days after having our first ultrasound. My wife also had a lot of bloodwork done as well as a full physical during the second pregnancy. All results came back normal.

My wife is in great health but is 38 years old. So perhaps that is a problem...?

She has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. What kind of things should we be asking the Doctor here? A third miscarriage is going to send my wife's stress level through the roof.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
edit: never mind! I misread "18 newborn diapers" as "18-month diapers"

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
So I'm being induced at 37+4. It's all sort of sudden and I'm a little freaked out.

Basically back on the 4th I had what I thought were preterm labor signs and went into L&D. It was determined that I was not going into labor, but while they were monitoring me in triage the baby's heart rate dropped to 90 bpm for more than 5 sec, so I was kept on the monitor for another 2 hours and had a BPP which was all fine and I got to go home. Then this morning I went in for my normal OB appointment and the nurse was having a little difficulty finding the baby's heart rate, and when she did it was low but did come back up quickly. But since it was my second incidence of lowered heart rate and there's no way of knowing how often this happened while I wasn't being monitored they decided to send me to L&D to go on the monitor for another couple hours and have another ultrasound.

The baby was fine on the monitor. In fact everyone who came in said he was amazing, and perfect. But during the ultrasound it was determined that my placenta was reading as more mature (I think they said it was grade 3?) and this was probably causing the decreased heart rate occasionally. Since I'm 37 weeks I'm full term. Although I could have waited, there was the possibility that there would be more deccels and could possibly put the baby at risk of not tolerating delivery later if the placenta got worse. . Where as now he's doing great and is really healthy, so delivering now would be fine, he should tolerate it well. The doctor wanted to induce and make sure we get a healthy baby.

It does mean I'm at a higher risk of having a c-section. But I'm trying not to worry about that. They used a foley bulb to dilate me to 4cm, which worked better than they expected apparently and I'm on a low dose of pitocin to start with.

So by this time tomorrow I should have a baby. Not quite ready. But mostly just bored right now. Luckily I have Internet and TV. Not allowed to eat, but I do get Popsicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.
travelsized, I had an induction almost identical to the one you're having RIGHT NOW :supaburn:(only I was late, not early). It wasn't so bad, just really long and the pit contractions were a little funky (but okay). I'm sending you lots of warm fuzzies.