Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Ropes4u posted:

The more I think a out it the more I think a WFA or WFR class would be good. My wife has t had any training, but he k laws everything :), and most of today's first aid is geared towards - an ambulance or medivac is on the way.

Any suggestions for the Denver eastern colorado area?

A refresher never hurts, but if you've had military first aid training you'll be fine. If you're doing anything remotely technical, developing self-rescue competence should be a priority. But combat lifesaver training essentially is wilderness first aid + people shooting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
How long are you going to be on the JMT?

I really need to do one of these long trips...save up a bunch of time off or take unpaid leave or something

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

How long are you going to be on the JMT?

I really need to do one of these long trips...save up a bunch of time off or take unpaid leave or something

Planning on 16 days to do the whole thing. Most people take about 1 week longer but there's folks that do it in 5-8 days, in fact Dirt Diva will be fastpacking it in 8 days the opposite direction we are going, really excited to maybe run into her out there maybe on the 2nd day. I'm pretty much using all my vacation time, but can't think of anything else I'd rather spend it on.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
Sawyer related question. I left my Sawyer wet and it got musty. Mistakenly read the instructions and put a bleach mix through the filter. At least 12 liters of water later and I can still taste the bleach. The taste is pretty over powering. Did I just gently caress myself over into having to buy a new filter or will the flavor of bleach go away eventually?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

This is rad, thanks!

I'm actually 4 credit hours short of a degree and have been looking for a valuable course I can take to wrap things up. It looks like there are some upcoming WFR courses in my area and they'd count as 3-4 semester credits... definitely going to look into taking one, could be super informative and an easy way to hammer these last couple credits out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PyrE posted:

Sawyer related question. I left my Sawyer wet and it got musty. Mistakenly read the instructions and put a bleach mix through the filter. At least 12 liters of water later and I can still taste the bleach. The taste is pretty over powering. Did I just gently caress myself over into having to buy a new filter or will the flavor of bleach go away eventually?

I dont know about you but drinking high amounts of bleach doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I would just suck it up and buy a new filter, and take better care of it next time. Chock it up to a lesson learned.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

PyrE posted:

Try emailing customer support at Sawyer?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Someone on the trail told me you can add two drops of bleach to a liter of water and wait 15-30 minutes to purify it, cheaper/easier to bring than iodine pills of filters. Clorox in small amounts is safe to drink, now the flavor on the other hand might be an issue for you, but i think it's probably harmless.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2013

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Verman posted:

I dont know about you but drinking high amounts of bleach doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I would just suck it up and buy a new filter, and take better care of it next time. Chock it up to a lesson learned.

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

Someone on the trail told me you can add two drops of bleach to a liter of water and wait 15-30 minutes to purify it, cheaper/easier to bring than iodine pills of filters. Clorox in small amounts is safe to drink, now the flavor on the other hand might be an issue for you, but i think it's probably harmless.

I wasn't pouring it straight into it or anything, I ran a cap with 2 liters of water from my water bladder through it as an in line filter, then another 12 or so. I think I may just be hyper sensitive to the flavor as I have always had a house with well water. I have done some searching and found others have ran bleach water through theirs before long term storage and they don't report any flavor issues. I am going to toss it into my car and let it dry out and give it a try next week. If the bleach flavor is still there I am going to pass it over to my cheap as all hell girlfriend see if she wants it and then buy a squeeze.

Oh, and by the off chance that anyone from the Upper Peninsula / Northern Wisconsin is reading this : You should check out Rock Dam in Breitung Township(Kingsford). Two super easy to access camp sites that are connected to the Carney Lake camp sites and some really cool quartz looking cliff faces. I will post some pics after my girlfriend takes them off her camera.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
No kidding? I'm up that way a few times a year. Can you jump off the cliffs?

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

mastershakeman posted:

No kidding? I'm up that way a few times a year. Can you jump off the cliffs?

Oh, it doesn't overlook Carney Lake. If you jumped you would be severely dead. Here are two pics she took of me with hat hair last month. We went there last weekend and she got some shots with her nicer camera. I will put them up later.
http://i.imgur.com/8PLhTM8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xYxPqvx.jpg

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So remember how I was talking about how I was going to hike here and there and everywhere while I was away from home? I'm back home now, and while I didn't manage to do all of the hiking I wanted to thanks to ridiculous Antarctic storms out of no where, I did some stuff, as well as some other neat stuff. Here's a video I put together of a bunch of things I saw; I plan on making more specific videos in the future. The sunrise on Mt. Batur in Bali is definitely one of the biggest highlights of the whole trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkc6giHyQU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

So remember how I was talking about how I was going to hike here and there and everywhere while I was away from home? I'm back home now, and while I didn't manage to do all of the hiking I wanted to thanks to ridiculous Antarctic storms out of no where, I did some stuff, as well as some other neat stuff. Here's a video I put together of a bunch of things I saw; I plan on making more specific videos in the future. The sunrise on Mt. Batur in Bali is definitely one of the biggest highlights of the whole trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkc6giHyQU

Awesome clouds on that sunrise on Batur, and amazing video of NZ, I can't wait to see more!

nocratos
Nov 28, 2004
I'm planning on going into Yellowstone, Zion, and Glacier National Park. Possibly Yosemite. For those of you who have been there, what are the must see places? I'm fine doing two or three night hikes in the Canadian Rockies but I am a bit concerned about doing something of that length in Zion.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just spend it all in Glacier. You'll want to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd just day hike Zion. Google Joe's guide to Zion, it's amazingly useful.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Yellowstone: Upper Geyser Basin (Old Faithful is awesome and all, but stop in the Old Faithful visitor center to see when the bigger and badder geysers in the area are expected to go off), Upper Falls, Lower Falls, Artist Point, Mystic Falls trail, Mammoth Hot Springs, Midway Geyser Basin, West Thumb Geyser Basin, Norris Geyser Basin, Artist Paint Pots. You can split the north and south halves of the park into a day each and manage to see a lot of the major attractions. Definitely add another day or two if you want to do more hiking than the roadside boardwalk loops, or if you're going to spend any amount of time watching the bison and bears and poo poo.

Yosemite: Anywhere on the valley floor, Upper Yosemite Falls trail (moderate to difficult ~2500 feet of vertical gain), Tunnel View, Glacier Point, Mariposa sequoia grove, Wapama Falls.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

You could do the Narrows in Zion. I think it's a two-day hike if you do the whole thing.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

nocratos posted:

I'm planning on going into Yellowstone, Zion, and Glacier National Park. Possibly Yosemite. For those of you who have been there, what are the must see places? I'm fine doing two or three night hikes in the Canadian Rockies but I am a bit concerned about doing something of that length in Zion.

Yosemite: If you can, take a shuttle up to Glacier Point or get dropped off (as opposed to driving up yourself) and take the Panorama Trail back down into the valley. Glacier Point is already an amazing way to see the whole valley, but taking the Panorama Trail back down is not only scenic since you go back down past two waterfalls (Nevada and Vernal), it's also not too incredibly difficult since you're going downhill for the most part. I love to do that hike every time I go.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

You could do the Narrows in Zion. I think it's a two-day hike if you do the whole thing.

This place is heaven.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Narrows was flooded when I was there, but Angels Landing and Canyon Overlook were amazing. I liked Zion more than the big Ys, that red rock just looks so alien to me.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I'm leaving to drop my car off at Whitney portal and take YARTS to yosemite valley this saturday and starting the John Muir Trail next monday oh my god I'm so excited!

Ah! I don't get to do that until sept 2014 when I finally have vacation time. I know you generally do, but a trip report is a necessity.

e:

nocratos posted:

I'd recommend spending the most time in Glacier. Pitamakan pass is probably my favorite spot in Glacier, but you truly cannot go wrong with anywhere in the park.

Angels landing is the necessity in Zion, and dicking around at the bottom of the narrows is fun. We walked into the narrows wearing hiking pants and trailrunning shoes and got about a mile before turning back. Dayhiking Zion is totally doable. We got in early, did lots of wandering around and then slept in a campground and left the next morning.

I post this everytime there's a Zion question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKwQR-Itf4

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 12, 2013

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
1 week to Chilkoot Trail! Does anyone know where you can buy bear bangers, stove gas and similar in Whitehorse, YT?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Glacier Park mountains are my favorite. Watch out for bears.

For destinations, I'd recommend Logan's Pass/Going-To-The-Sun Road, Polebridge Bakery/Bowman Lake, Rocky Mountain Outfitters in Kalispell, Serrano's in East Glacier.

My go-to hikes would be Cobalt Lake, Firebrand Pass, Ole Lake, Highline Trail.

Easy mountains: Mt Oberlin, Scalplock Mtn, Scenic Point.

Intermediate mountains: Calf Robe Mtn, Papoose/Ninaki/Chief Mtn, anything near the road, basically.

Hard mountains: all of them, pick and choose, you can't go wrong. Be prepared for lots of bushwacking through buckbrush, fording the occasional creek and very few trails. I'm going to try Kintla Peak and Mt St Nicholas this summer, there's some technical climbing in the park (though, with the exception of St Nick, it's not recommended as the rock is of a very poor quality for such things) and as many opportunities for extended backpacking as you can imagine. I spent eight days in the Park Creek drainage last summer and climbed a different mountain every day. If I had to recommend one mountain/hike in Glacier to a fellow hiker, it would be Mt Wilbur, Thin Man's Pleasure (Class V, 4 miles, 4,500ft elevation gain, bears galore).

So far this summer-

Top of Mt Wilbur, looking towards Iceberg Lake

Ninaki and Chief Mtn

Goat Mtn looking towards St Mary Lake

Bowman Lake, 6am

Lake Isabel area

Bird Woman Falls, Going-To-The-Sun Road

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Well, holy poo poo, I love Glacier and am just starting to get into summitting things there. That looks great.

...Mt. Wilbur is impressive. Here's what it looks like from the lake, for the rest of you. That pic above is made from the area up in the clouds.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 13, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Goddamn. I keep looking at those photos. (I mean how the gently caress did you get to the top of Bird Woman Falls) I'm just starting to get into basic mountaineering just because I want to get to places like that. Unfortunately I live in a pretty flat place far away from everywhere I love to go, so it's going to go slowly and finding partners I trust will be challenging as well.

It's stuff like you posted that are going to make me do it, though.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Goddamn. I keep looking at those photos. (I mean how the gently caress did you get to the top of Bird Woman Falls) I'm just starting to get into basic mountaineering just because I want to get to places like that. Unfortunately I live in a pretty flat place far away from everywhere I love to go, so it's going to go slowly and finding partners I trust will be challenging as well.

It's stuff like you posted that are going to make me do it, though.

Bird Woman Falls is no big deal, I biked up one day & took that photo before cars were allowed on Going-To-The-Sun (due to snow) but you can drive there. I live on the plains but try to get there on weekends. Hiking Oberlin, which is right above those falls, on Monday.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
O yeah, Glacier Mountaineering Society is what you want, $30/year and they organize all sorts of hikes and climbs, the guides/coordinators are basically mountain goats, everyone is cool and with varying levels of experience, and it's THE group to join to meet people with your interests.

edit: i'm not a member but i've gone on lots of their hikes, highly recommended & i will probably join this summer.

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 13, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wow, thanks. I looked up Bird Woman and it wasn't the one I was picturing, I see how you could get there.

I wasn't planning on going back this year, but maybe... it's hands down the most beautiful place I've ever been and sounds like an accessible place to learn.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Piles peak handed us our rear end, more specifically the weather. Our party was slow which I expected but we were doing okay.

Then the storms rolled over the top, funnel cloud, lightning, hail and rain. Two other parties turned back while we were waiting out the storm in the A frame, both suggested we bail.l, but we waited another 40 minutes.

22 miles the last 11 it rained to add to our defeat. But I feel we did the right thing by bailing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I'm an idiot ..

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Never leave home.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ropes4u posted:

I'm an idiot ..

What the gently caress? I hope you pooped your pants because that would have been completely acceptable.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

What the gently caress? I hope you pooped your pants because that would have been completely acceptable.

Between that and the lightning I was pretty nervous (scared).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Smoove J posted:

Lake Isabel area

Dang, your burned tree looks cooler than mine

I climbed up Thompson Peak yesterday, ended up going up the wrong couloir and got stopped about 20 feet short of the summit with a move I couldn't do. Downclimbed and eventually got to the summit.

View from... somewhere along the way.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
How does one handle a wet tent on a multi day trip? Let's say it is raining, constantly. What do I need to do to ensure that I can pack it and later use it again without it becoming wet all the way through? Should I just pack the inside and outside in different bags? Or is there some standard technique to handle it even easier?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Just shake it off and pack it up as best you can. Once it stops raining or you get home, set it up and let it dry off before packing it away for long term storage.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I have an Osprey Ariel pack, and it's super comfortable, but I notice that even when it's loaded (~35-40lb) the belt seems to ride up after a couple of hours on the trail. I end up undoing it and re-seating it several times over the course of a day, just to get it back down onto my hips instead of my waist.

I know adjusting over the course of a day is expected, but is this normal behaviour or am I adjusting some straps wrong somewhere?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Without knowing that pack in particular my best guesses are that the pack itself is a size too small, or you're tightening the shoulder straps too much, thus lifting the whole thing upward. Some adjustment is normal, you're right, but your hip belt should stay in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The Ariel is just the female version of the Aether, as far as I know.

I was fitted at the store but it's possible the whatsits in the back isn't set properly... I could definitely pull it up and make the pack "bigger" that way. I'm kind of scared to mess with it in case it makes it uncomfortable though. I'll try leaving the other straps looser and see if it stays put.