Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I love Dream Theater, but ye gods those song titles suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Semprini posted:

I love Dream Theater, but ye gods those song titles suck.

I mean, their previous album "A Dramatic Turn of Events" had these song titles:

On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Lost Not Forgotten
This Is the Life
Bridges in the Sky
Outcry
Far from Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Beneath the Surface

Which also sound like they came out of a song title generator.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anything's better than "The Count of Tuscany"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Hey, can anyone recommend me anything similar to Amorphis's Elegy? Lately I've really been digging the way this album blends late Iron Maiden-sounding songwriting with symphonic prog, space prog, and the melodeath sound of their earlier albums. The closest I've been able to come in the rest of my collection is In the Woods...'s Omnio, but that's too downtempo and really not scratching my current itch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Knew about this tour as of this morning due to a local promoter but Alestorm is touring with Trollfest & Gypsyhawk. Going to be great to see Trollfest again - hoping for a longer setlist as they own everything.

quote:

ALESTORM
with support from TROLLFEST and GYPSYHAWK
NORTH AMERICAN TOUR 2013

11/11 - Santa Ana, CA @ Yost Theater
11/12 - Tempe, AZ @ Rocky Point Cantina
11/13 - Las Vegas, NV @ LVCS
11/14 - San Francisco, CA @ Thee Parkside
11/15 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
11/16 - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
11/17 - Vancouver, BC @ Funky Weatherbeans
11/18 - Calgary, AL @ The Republik
11/19 - Regina, SK @ The Exchange
11/20 - Winnipeg, MB @ The Zoo
11/22 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
11/23 - Westland, MI @ Token Lounge
11/24 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
11/25 - Columbus, OH @ The Shrunken Head
11/26 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Smiling Moose
11/27 - London, ON @ Music Hall
11/28 - Toronto, ON @ Mod Club
11/29 - Ottawa, ON @ Mavericks
11/30 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
12/01 - Quebec City, QC @ Le Cercle
12/02 - New York, NY @ Webster Hall
12/03 - Teaneck, NJ @ Mexicali Live
12/04 - Baltimore, MD @ Soundstage
12/05 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
12/08 - San Jose, CR @ Finca La Lucha

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The venue in Vancouver is called Funky Winkerbeans, not Weatherbeans. :argh:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vintersorg posted:

Knew about this tour as of this morning due to a local promoter but Alestorm is touring with Trollfest & Gypsyhawk. Going to be great to see Trollfest again - hoping for a longer setlist as they own everything.

Posting about Alestorm should be a bannable offense. :reject: "The Seven Seas were obviously not expansive enough for Captain Chris Bowes and his crew, as their third raid in the quest for booty takes them "Back Through Time". The Scottish buccaneers battle not only narrow-minded landlubbers and enemy privateers, but also foul-tempered Vikings! "

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Gypsyhawk? The gently caress? Cool.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I take the same approach to Alestorm as I do to Korpiklaani: listening to them on their own is a bad idea, but sometimes you just have to get drunk, put on a pirate hat/pair of antlers and go bouncing around in a pit with other people in stupid headgear until you break something. Bowes puts on a drat fun show. Super stoked to see Trollfest again.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
A few years ago I went to a show with a ridiculously long bill because a friend was filling in for the first band. I stood up front, headbanged, tried to get a mosh pit going for them, but with no luck. I gave it another shot later in the set, ran around a bit and tapped people to see if they were interested. Nope, nobody cares. Oh well, I trie*wham!* - a guy in a parrot costume runs into me and starts running around. Hell of a way to show some support for the band playing before you. I gave Swashbuckle a chance and they were entertaining, nice guys too. Nothing special nor unusual musically, but an entertaining show, especially when later on I was mistaken for the frontman of a band who looks absolutely nothing like me because I was chatting with the band and was handed beers for free.

I have another story about involving that band too.

More recently, at MDF in 2013, I met a former member of Swashbuckle. On Saturday night one of the guys I was staying with was hanging out downtown really late and we headed to our hotel in bumblefuck outside of Baltimore pretty late. Our buddy who stayed there was with some notorious party animal known to everyone but me, because I'm from a different state than them. So, we're back at the hotel room, I was wondering if he was going to end up crashing on the floor of someone's downtown hotel room - which would have been really nice as I was sleeping on a padded windowsill that was a foot shorter than me with my feet on top of an upright suitcase - and we got an update from the guy still downtown about not wanting to go to a strip club because he doesn't care, and saying he might be back. A while later, he stumbles into a room, having gotten a friend from a guy who was dressed like a normal metalhead with the top of his hair pulled back and the rest flowing free - pretty comfortable when I tried it, but it looks goofy. Anyway, I'm introduced to this guy, learn that he was in a band with the other friend hosting me on their windowsill/couch thing, and someone mentions that he was in Swashbuckle. It's sort of blurry because of the beer, but there is one incredibly funny part that I remember. This swashbuckling fellow who I just met helped bring a big drunk guy to the outskirts of Baltimore late at night, he hung out and chatted for an hour or so, sitting on the cooler and standing up to pass out beers as we needed them. A while later, when we're all slowing down, he simply says "alright I'm gonna sleep" and pulls a move that transitiosn smoothly from falling off of the cooler and rolling on the floor until his head rests neatly on his arm. Within a few seconds, I tossed him a spare pillow, which landed on top of his head, and it stayed there for quite a while because he apparently passes out like a cartoon character on command. When we woke up, he wasn't there and I haven't seen him since.

I left out a bunch of names because it seems like poor storytelling to constantly namedrop bands/people, but it's worth noting that my big drunk buddy who was helped back to the hotel by a swashbuckler is the mainman of Maximum Oversatan and they're pretty sweet because it's just an ungodly rough Venom worship band. True to Venom style, the bassist, who admittedly can't play guitar, played guitar on this demo while they jammed as a two-piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CVSgV9KBQ

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
So this seems to be making some waves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hAiCRCPFaM

Digging the reverby production.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The bass is pretty high but sounds kinda lovely. Still pretty cool. Guitar's a little too dry too, but that's just me. I like how 90s it sounds.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's a preview track from the new Fleshgod Apocalypse out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzmT-VhrnA

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A human heart posted:

I really like this but if they went through such manic and meticulous research why did they use a maze for the cover of an album named "Labyrinth". Maze and Labyrinth are not interchangeable. :colbert:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

Just bought my GwarBQ (http://gwarbq.com/) ticket. I'm super stoked. Is anyone else going?

What should I expect?

I bet you quit your job just to go to GwarBQ :v:

I was hoping to go too but I have to save up for a car and have to limit my road trips for the next couple months.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

muike posted:

The bass is pretty high but sounds kinda lovely. Still pretty cool. Guitar's a little too dry too, but that's just me. I like how 90s it sounds.
'90s? It's basically the production from Ride the Lightning verbatim, down to the sound of each individual drum.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alestorm is poo poo and I'll most likely be leaving right after Trollfest. The guys in that band are great - last time they came thru I chatted with em all for a bit. They loved coming thru Canada and said some parts reminded them of back home. Surprisingly the lead singer had some of the cleanest english compared to the rest of the band. They were in Winnipeg at the time and were heading to Minneapolis. I told them about hitting up Mall of America and they had no idea what that was. Once I told them all about it, with the amusement park and poo poo, they were so excited to go!

If you detest Alestorm, at least go out to see Trollfest.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Misogynist posted:

'90s? It's basically the production from Ride the Lightning verbatim, down to the sound of each individual drum.

i.e. recorded in a wind tunnel

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Misogynist posted:

1890s

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I am intrigued. They really got that 80s thrash production down.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

The Ferret King posted:

Expect your clothes and shoes to be dyed wacky colors by the end of the night.

I've seen Gwar, I know what to expect on that front, haha. I'm hoping it to be like a mini-MDF.
Quite a few of my MDF friends are going.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Has anyone listed to the new Coffins record The Fleshland? I enjoyed Buried Death quite a bit but I think the best thing this band has going is their live performance because they are crushhhing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
y'all doing gwarbbq? strongly considering buying some tickets for that poo poo.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Wrust from Botswana just released a music video for "Hate 'Em All" off their latest album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDy9-Mqq4U

It's a pretty straight forward song, but the production and songwriting is a massive step up from their last release back in 2006. Gotta love that main groove riff!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

y'all doing gwarbbq? strongly considering buying some tickets for that poo poo.

Juuuust posted that I bought my ticket. A handful of my MDF friends will be there too. It looks like it will be a parrrrty.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

A human heart posted:

This sounds loving amazing. Not a huge fan of the vocals (pretty boring) but wow, that drumming is just insane.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

To Battle posted:

Has anyone listed to the new Coffins record The Fleshland? I enjoyed Buried Death quite a bit but I think the best thing this band has going is their live performance because they are crushhhing.

I love it so much.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Just got back from Eistnaflug. Everyone needs to stop what they're doing right now and find a way to get to a Skálmöld show.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

This is great, thanks for posting.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just came across this band Eternal Champion. Really solid late 70s/early 80s style trad metal. Looking forward to them getting more material out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

I'll be at the GA show.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Looks like Varg's been arrested again.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

He's scum. He's also a maniac who makes poo poo music and finally his fans will understand where their money is going.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

Hadn't heard of "Battlecross" until last weekend at Mayhem Festival. Thought they were really great. Bought their new album and it's as good as their performance. If you're into thrash, then you might want to check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-apTRsDaE

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

euroboy posted:

He's scum. He's also a maniac who makes poo poo music and finally his fans will understand where their money is going.

Who cares where the money is going? He can spend it how he pleases.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Who cares where the money is going? He can spend it how he pleases.

The cops also don't seem like they've got anything on him and just want to get him and his terrible opinions out of France.

In other, more left-leaning news, has anyone heard the new split that Panopticon did with Vestiges? I think it's better than the stuff that was on Kentucky, and I'm really excited to hear what's coming next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iax_VhmKqcU

The drumming on this is fantastic.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

^^^ I didn't realize any songs were available yet! Can't wait on my copy to arrive.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

the yeti posted:

^^^ I didn't realize any songs were available yet! Can't wait on my copy to arrive.

It ships this week but the whole thing has been streaming on Bandcamp for about a month.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

euroboy posted:

One killing (of an rear end in a top hat) makes him a scum maniac?

He can run wild with the $10-15 of royalties he's made off me over his career. Would that even buy him dinner on the euro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, but he has EVIL OPINIONS!