Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

sports posted:

The difference is, with the MacBook Air you look at the exterior temp of 41* vs 90* exterior temp for the Clevo.
It doesn't hit 90C exterior temperature, that would be absurd, and very dangerous. Since my hands are not melted from typing this post, I must assume its much less. The macbook air keyboard hits 47C under load, which is 116F, subjectively the clevo temperature is in the same ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LurkingAsian posted:

It doesn't hit 90C exterior temperature, that would be absurd, and very dangerous. Since my hands are not melted from typing this post, I must assume its much less. The macbook air keyboard hits 47C under load, which is 116F, subjectively the clevo temperature is in the same ballpark.
Ya'll are having trouble moving from C to F here. Yes, lots of laptops will top 90C internally. No, that is not good and anyone who tells you that "well it's rated at 100C!:hurr:" is retarded and will be sitting there with a sad face in a year when their computer mysteriously starts developing issues. No, none of those laptops top 90C externally. They can, will, and do top 90F externally, though, sometimes by a fair amount. Using a 110F+ keyboard for any amount of time is pretty uncomfortable unless you happen to be wearing gloves, and smaller laptops with oversized GPUs are notorious for that sort of nonsense.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm setting up my mom's new T430 and had a couple of questions:

1. I told her to get the 1600x900 configuration, but now I'm worried that everything is too small for her eyesight, and the scaling option on display settings makes some things look terrible. Is there a good solution to this- or is 8.1 going to help and I should tell her to be patient?

2. If we switch out the HD for a SSD she already owns, will she have to put the original back in for service? Basically wondering if it's a bad idea to sell it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm looking for a laptop for my mother. I think she wants to spend about 600€. (We're in Belgium, so adjust pricing upwards accordingly...)

Needs:
-Surf the internet
-Read e-mail
-Play silly flash games on said internets
-Read Word documents I guess?
-Watch pictures/videos of the grandkids

So basically nothing.

What I think she needs:

-Decent screen. Not huge, but not too small either. No insane resolution crammed into tiny pixels please, because of, um, senior citizen eyes. IPS if possible because the better viewing angles will help if her + children all want to look at pictures of the grandchildren together.
-SSD. Death to long boot times! Doesn't have to be too large, but big enough to be comfortable. (Think of the pictures again...)
-Not a lot of CPU. I don't see why a lot of processing power would be needed.

She'll also need OS and antivirus licenses (where applicable, I dunno if Macs would be a good idea here and if those need any AV...), and maybe an Office license. Although I don't really know why she'd really need that.

I think she could use a tablet actually, but she doesn't seem to think so. Probably the lack of a keyboard scares her.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Further to my post ealier what is the threads opinion on the Dell XPS range, thinking of picking up a refurbished 14 inch.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

1. I told her to get the 1600x900 configuration, but now I'm worried that everything is too small for her eyesight, and the scaling option on display settings makes some things look terrible. Is there a good solution to this- or is 8.1 going to help and I should tell her to be patient?

2. If we switch out the HD for a SSD she already owns, will she have to put the original back in for service? Basically wondering if it's a bad idea to sell it.

1. Are you using the windows text scalar in "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display" ?

2. You shouldn't need to put the original back in to service the machine but you might want to look into getting a MSATA SSD and using that alongside with the original harddrive.

uXs posted:

I'm looking for a laptop for my mother. I think she wants to spend about 600€. (We're in Belgium, so adjust pricing upwards accordingly...)

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Take a look at a Chromebook, if she is comfortable stepping away from windows it could be perfect.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

fookolt posted:

That's a drat shame. It's killing me to wait; I think I'm just going to get a MacBook Air and resell it if I need to when the new hot poo poo comes out from Samsung/Asus.

I'm coming up on 1 year of my Clevo/Sager and couldn't be happier

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

1. Display scaling in Windows has always been terrible and buggy. Probably this will not change much even with 8.1.

2. The hard-drive is considered a consumer replaceable part by Lenovo so it doesn't affect your warranty to mess with it and they don't really care.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

1. I told her to get the 1600x900 configuration, but now I'm worried that everything is too small for her eyesight
130 ppi is not mom-friendly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sports posted:

The difference is, with the MacBook Air you look at the exterior temp of 41* vs 90* exterior temp for the Clevo.
90°C on the external usable parts seems unlikely, even in a ~*gaming laptop*~. Isn't that hot enough to deform plastic?

InstantInfidel posted:

That's not true at all. Their last SFF design, the W110ER, was 11.6" and used a much weaker graphics card and multiple reviews criticized it for being nearly 100F under load in contact areas like the touchpad.
The 2013 MBA keyboard reaches 47.1°C according to the AnandTech review posted earlier, which is 116.6°F. What's the line for a comfortable keyboard? That's a genuine question, I really don't know.

e: oh poo poo I didn't read this page before replying, sorry.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 11, 2013

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

90°C on the external usable parts seems unlikely, even in a ~*gaming laptop*~. Isn't that hot enough to deform plastic?

The 2013 MBA keyboard reaches 47.1°C according to the AnandTech review posted earlier, which is 116.6°F. What's the line for a comfortable keyboard? That's a genuine question, I really don't know.

e: oh poo poo I didn't read this page before replying, sorry.

I mean yeah, it does, but only under loads that seriously exceed what it was ever meant to do. The Clevo hits that doing things it was purpose-built to do.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

I mean yeah, it does, but only under loads that seriously exceed what it was ever meant to do. The Clevo hits that doing things it was purpose-built to do.
But aren't those temperatures for both when they're running at full bore? Won't they both thermally throttle so they don't "exceed what they're meant to do"? I don't mean to say that a flaming hot keyboard is acceptable but if the device lets it happen isn't that normal operation?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/sys/3920441198.html

Decent deal on a T400? Usage being a little headless 24/7 linux box that doesn't require me to have an external monitor/keyboard/mouse laying around when I need a head on it.
Its not a bad laptop, but I dont think it would be best for your use case. Thinkpads have better keyboards, build quality, available replacement parts. If you were using it somewhere the extra durability mattered it would be a great buy. Otherwise I would try for something with a newer cpu.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Any thoughts on the HP Envy?

I'm looking for something on the cheap side, the most strenuous game I play is Rift, which is more processor than graphics, and I don't worry much about graphics anyway. This would pretty much just move around inside my house, maybe an occasional vacation. Battery life and harsh conditions are not a concern.

I'd probably be playing on an external monitor, if that matters.

Would changing the HD to something SSD be a problem? HP offers some SSD acceleration cache, but I haven't payed attention to computer hardware for a decade and don't know if that's useful.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

But aren't those temperatures for both when they're running at full bore? Won't they both thermally throttle so they don't "exceed what they're meant to do"? I don't mean to say that a flaming hot keyboard is acceptable but if the device lets it happen isn't that normal operation?

That is when they're running at their theoretical max, yes, but a Macbook Air was never designed to be a performance machine. While it can handle that level of heat for a while, it wasn't intended to do so for extended periods of time. I would expect a gaming laptop with the purpose of running its hardware as fast and hard as it can for hours on end to have much, much better thermals than one of the thinnest notebooks on the market.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

That is when they're running at their theoretical max, yes, but a Macbook Air was never designed to be a performance machine. While it can handle that level of heat for a while, it wasn't intended to do so for extended periods of time. I would expect a gaming laptop with the purpose of running its hardware as fast and hard as it can for hours on end to have much, much better thermals than one of the thinnest notebooks on the market.
The W110ER also has a 45 watt CPU and 45 watt GPU, versus the MBA's 15 watt CPU+IGP, so there's a lot more heat to get rid of. I think having the same temp while pulling 3-6 times as many watts is "much, much better thermals," but it's still just enough to be bearable. Yet another reason why gaming/performance laptops are stupid.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

What I'm saying is that one laptop hits that temperature doing things it was never meant to do and the other hits those temperatures doing things it was "designed" to do for hours on end. It's not a perfect comparison, but I think it sort of makes sense.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lampey posted:

Its not a bad laptop, but I dont think it would be best for your use case. Thinkpads have better keyboards, build quality, available replacement parts. If you were using it somewhere the extra durability mattered it would be a great buy. Otherwise I would try for something with a newer cpu.

What? It's $150. On used laptops, durability and ease of service is probably priority one. The only competition is a desktop and that's only because of the 24/7 requirement, and good luck finding one along with a monitor for that much.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

What I'm saying is that one laptop hits that temperature doing things it was never meant to do and the other hits those temperatures doing things it was "designed" to do for hours on end. It's not a perfect comparison, but I think it sort of makes sense.
We're saying the same thing. A laptop doing more "work" only gets as hot as one that does less. I don't think it's possible to make a gaming/performance laptop that's both small and cool. I'm also going to make a subjective blanket statement and say it's not possible to make one that's good.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
All right, it's my father's birthday coming up and my brother and I are going to buy him a new laptop.

The usage for this will be:

- Able to play Civilization 5 via Steam
- General stuff of Internet, E-mails, etc.
- Working with MS Office stuff for work

Other criteria is as light as possible (less than 10 lbs.) and screen bigger than 15 inches. Money is not an object so please recommend away because I did searches on those Deal sites and I am overwhelmed with all kinds of ultrabooks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm also going to make a subjective blanket statement and say it's not possible to make one that's good.

Really, it's "not possible to make one that's good and affordable.

There are ways to deal with the thermal issues that could probably make the thing not suck, it would just likely make the thing too expensive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MeaningOfLife posted:

- General stuff of Internet, E-mails, etc.
- Working with MS Office stuff for work

Money is not an object

15" Retina Macbook Pro. Enjoy.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Really, it's "not possible to make one that's good and affordable.
Even the $2500+ machines have to make some kind of compromise on size, weight or battery life, which preclude them from being good¹.

¹ again, subjective.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
My Dell outlet order was delayed 3 days. :psyduck: I presume it is a prebuild machine in a box ready to go (returned, canceled order, whatever), how many days could it take to drop it in the mail?

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Weinertron posted:

15" Retina Macbook Pro. Enjoy.

Sorry, I should say my dad's a PC user only. Any Windows based ultrabook you would recommend for me to get?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The T430 can be subjectively horrid but that doesn't stop this thread from recommending them out the wazoo

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

It has objective problems, namely the screen quality and the poor GPU choices. However, the build quality, support, and thermals are all excellent, whereas Clevo sucks rear end at pretty much all three of those (the thermals on their massive 680M SLI machines are apparently pretty good, though).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

It has objective problems, namely the screen quality and the poor GPU choices. However, the build quality, support, and thermals are all excellent, whereas Clevo sucks rear end at pretty much all three of those (the thermals on their massive 680M SLI machines are apparently pretty good, though).

Their thermals on just a regular single dGPU machine are very good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MeaningOfLife posted:

Sorry, I should say my dad's a PC user only. Any Windows based ultrabook you would recommend for me to get?

Razer Blade? The new one isn't too gaudy.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Razer Blade? The new one isn't too gaudy.

$2500!?! What am I made out of money? I'm hoping to be in the $700 price range. I think I may just get the T430 that was suggested from earlier post.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

MeaningOfLife posted:

$2500!?! What am I made out of money? I'm hoping to be in the $700 price range.

MeaningOfLife posted:

Money is not an object so please recommend away.
$700 isn't really that much to spend. You could get a T530 for that which meets all of your requirements.

Are there even any non-rugged laptops that weigh more than 10 pounds?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The Alienware 18, the Clevo P570WM.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

$700 isn't really that much to spend. You could get a T530 for that which meets all of your requirements.

Are there even any non-rugged laptops that weigh more than 10 pounds?

Let's talk about this. Is Intel Core i3 sufficient enough for him to use it for another 5+ years or is it better to upgrade to i5 or even i7?

For graphics card, is it necessary to get NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory in order to run Civilization 5 smoothly?

Most likely I'll get the RAM upgraded to 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM) as it's not like he or anyone else will open up the laptop to add more RAMs.

I'm definitely going to change the hard drive to 128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Get the i5 upgrade ($30) and at least the 1600x900 upgrade ($15). Get the Ultimate-N wireless upgrade ($40) if he's going to be on WiFi at all. You can save a lot of money by upgrading the RAM and SSD yourself. The HD 4000 graphics can play Civ 5, but maybe not at an acceptable frame rate. The 5400M is about on par with Haswell IGP, so there's a decent improvement, but maybe not $85 worth.

e: The 1600x900 and 5400M upgrades used to be $50 each, so it looks like they've moved stuff around. It's still $100 to get them both.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Delta-Wye posted:

My Dell outlet order was delayed 3 days. :psyduck: I presume it is a prebuild machine in a box ready to go (returned, canceled order, whatever), how many days could it take to drop it in the mail?

I would think it would be built already, but I suppose you never know. Maybe they were double-checking the refurbish and found something wrong. Maybe they are incorrect about what they had in the inventory, and they are working to build something instead.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Revol posted:

I would think it would be built already, but I suppose you never know. Maybe they were double-checking the refurbish and found something wrong. Maybe they are incorrect about what they had in the inventory, and they are working to build something instead.

It has a i7-3687, which is an odd feature for a XPS 12. It looked like a custom build already :iiam:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

MeaningOfLife posted:

No. They're all poo poo.

The Thinkpad T440s will have an NVIDIA discrete graphics option? Get that, maybe.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MeaningOfLife posted:

$2500!?! What am I made out of money? I'm hoping to be in the $700 price range. I think I may just get the T430 that was suggested from earlier post.

I think we should revisit what exactly you want before just throwing out a Thinkpad T-series recommendation. First you said money is no object, then you said that you want to spend $700 which is on the low end of decent laptops. Also, larger than 15" is absolutely gigantic and there are probably less than 5 laptops on the market that are not under ten pounds.

Maybe instead of a huge laptop you could do a 13" or 14" laptop with an external monitor in the 22"-23" range? If playing Civilization is a huge priority, you really do want something a bit better than a 5400M.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

OK, so money is an object because I'm not going to spend $2500 on a gaming laptop when all he is playing is Civ5, not next generation FPS. But the priority is definitely a work / business laptop still.

Price range of $700-$1200 would be more reasonable. I'm so scared about doing any upgrades myself so I think I'll just pay them for the RAM and SSD upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
15.6" is a pretty standard screen size that meets the "over 15"" requirement without being silly huge. Though I'd actually think twice about screen resolutions depending on your dad and how his eyesight is because most text-heavy games don't scale well to different DPIs.